“Fantastic food”
Review of Cairnbaan Hotel

Cairnbaan Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Cairnbaan
Reviewed August 20, 2011

We stayed at this hotel last week and were delighted with our stay.The food in this hotel is fantastic with huge portions,a great seafood menu,I would recomend visiting this restaurant its well worth the trip.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family

Reviewed August 10, 2011

Stayed here with my friend and my son on our way to catch a ferry so that we could relax and break up the journey. The hotel has a perfect setting with boats sailing by outside on the crinan canal.
Inside we were met very quickly at the desk and efficiently shown to our rooms. My son was way up in the attic rooms, room 10 i think or 11, not much of a view but very bright. He did say that pipes rumbled a bit in the night though.
Our room was on the ground floor and a car was parked right outside and we felt we'd to have the blind down for privacy, a shame as the view was quite nice.
We had some drinks in the bar before dinner and my friend asked for tea, the tea came and my friend asked if she could have a biscuit, the waitress said she would see what was available and came back with an after dinner mint, one after dinner mint! On seeing our faces she then said she could get us some biscuits like the ones in the room - they were very nice.
The dinner menu is quite comprehensive with choices to suit most people.
I had smoked salmon with blinis, minus the blinis...came with bread. I asked about the blinis and the waiter said he'd check, he came back and said they'd run out. i asked him if he knew what blinis were, he said no, which makes me guess they never have them!!
My fish and chips was fantastic as was my friend's chicken with black pudding.
Breakfast was very nice with my boiled eggs coming with toasted soldiers in a little stack.
The hotel is a bit tatty round the edges with stains on the dining room carpet and furnishings a bit shabby chic. The staff all seem to be quite young and whilst very pleasant are a bit inexperienced.
Not sure i'd go back to stay, might pop in for food on the way past but thats it.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank honeycat2307
Reviewed August 4, 2011

stayed here for one night, has seen better days,in need of a makeover. Tatty decor and if you should get room No11 your view is of roof tiles. Beakfast was ok. would not recommend this hotel

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank jaguar39
Reviewed July 29, 2011

My husband and I went here just for a coffee. I ordered a coffee and a pint for my husband. I asked if there were any caked and the man serving said there would be some "kicking about". We were sitting outside and he said he would tell the waitress to come and see me. I had finished my coffee, and was still waiting for to order the cake. We were on holiday in this area and were going to have a meal at some point here. Owing to the way we were treated would never go back.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed July 28, 2011

Got caught out by very unclear advert for "special offer". Complained to the hotel manager but got no response, tried again and received very unsatisfactory e mail - did not even manage to get my name correct.
Hotel is in beautiful location and this is its best feature. We occupied room 11, steep climb to the top of the house and a room to be avoided if you are bothered by the noise of other peoples showers and toilets.
Housekeeping staff to to be commended as they keep the place very clean.
Food portions very generous not much choice for vegetarians and the breakfast is great if you wish the full cooked but poor choice if you want continental- no fresh fruit or yoghurt available.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank milli96
Reviewed July 17, 2011

Have stayed DBB here for three years running for one night each time and are longing for our fourth. The atmosphere in the bar was so happy, the staff relaxed and professional. We said that we wanted to eat in the dining room rather than the bar and this was happily done. The food was as lipsmackingly good as ever. Our room was the same one as previous visit, so we felt quite at home as it was spacious, light and comfortable, with canal lock view.. A lovely, homely hotel,inside and out, with something on the menu and specials board for every taste:breakfast excellent too. We truly got our money's worth.

Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 15, 2011

We had a really lovely weekend break here. The hotel is ideally situated for the Crinan Canal,Lochgilphead and the historic sites of Kilmartin. Our room was spacious with a good view of the workings of the canal. The food was very good and the service excellent - nothing was too much trouble for the young staff members. We felt that the cold breakfast buffet was a bit lacking but the cooked part more than made up for that!
We did think the hotel was slightly overpriced compared to others of the same standard but all in all it was a good weekend which was helped by the glorious weather.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cairnbaan
12 mi away
4 mi away
Allt-Na-Craig
Allt-Na-Craig
#1 of 2 in Ardrishaig

Been to Cairnbaan Hotel? Share your experiences!