“GEM OF BOTSWANA”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Linyanti Reserve
Wilderness Safaris Savuti Camp
Reviewed July 6, 2013

Savuti Camp is truly a gem! We had such an amazing time at Savuti! We saw amazing and very rare animals sightings like lions mating, hyena mating, cheetah and lots of other animals! Being in Botswana we also saw lots of elephants! Sometimes the elephants was literally next to our tent - which made it extra special!

What makes Savuti extra special is the people working there! Our guide, Ace was the best guide we've ever had on any game drive - and we've had a few! His knowledge of the animals, trees, birds and even general topics was amazing! It was really special to spend so much time with such an exceptional person.

Tsidie - one of the managers was very friendly and went out of her way to accommodate any request.

The food was absolutely fantastic! We had one night dinner in the bush - and wow that was very special.

We will definitely visit Savuti Camp again and we are really impressed with Wilderness Safaris - a company that really cares for Africa and its people and they will walk the extra mile to make your bush safari one to remember for the rest of you life!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Stella55555

Reviewed June 20, 2013

At the end of May 2013 while on safari in the Linyanti Concession of Botswana, I spent two nights at Savuti Camp operated by Wilderness Safaris. Savuti, with elevated walkways throughout, posh "tents" with huge showers, flushing loos, and elephants galore--what more do you need? Besides all that Savuti is very well managed, it is readily apparent that the staff are well trained in customer service skills, the food was excellent, there is a fabulous curio shop, and laundry is done promptly. Tent 7, the furthest tent is exceptional since elephants cross the Channel nearby the tent, and you can sit on the deck and admire all the animals and birds. The bar and lounge at the camp is also an ideal location to sit and watch elephants, birds, hippos and various antelope species. Kelley and Violet provided excellent service and were very attentive to our needs. There is also a pool, which unfortunately I did not have time to enjoy; so I will have to make a return trip. Thanks to all for a fabulous stay!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank MelanieW542
Reviewed May 29, 2013

Our experienced safari friend recommended Botswana as the best for game viewing and she wasn't wrong! In our 5 nights in the country, we saw all but rhinos of the Big Five and many others as well. Here at Savuti, our highlight was seeing a pack of wild painted dogs (nearly extinct) tracking its prey..an unsuspecting impala. To see how this group of wild animals share their kill within the pack was (a bit gory, yes, but..) amazing. But then to see the hierarchy of power within the animals of the bush when a lone hyena howled at the dogs until other hyenas came from every direction and together, fought the dogs for their prey (with our land rover sitting in the middle of the fight!). The dogs did all the work and the hyenas got the impala! Once our adrenalin slowed down, we couldn't believe what we had witnessed! Our other animal viewings were much calmer, but wonderfully awe-inspiring. Our guide was adept at tracking and finding much to see, but tended to be quiet which was hard to read at times after our previous guide who filled us with non-stop information about life in the bush..this was a bit of a disappointment. The setting at Savuti was beautiful on the water and the rooms spacious and luxurious. The food was good though not great and the staff helpful, but not overly friendly and warm (as at Chitabe). Had Savuti been the first camp we stayed at with no comparison point, I may not have been as critical, but Chitabe was Camp was exceptional. While we didn't have a bad experience here, I'm not sure we would pick this camp to return to.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank HokieGal30
Reviewed May 2, 2013

In March my husband and I traveled to Namibia, Zimbabwe and Botswana. It was our second trip to Africa, and we stayed in 5 different camps. Unfortunately, our experience at Savuti does not seem to mirror many of the reviews here. While still lovely, out of the 5 camps we enjoyed on this trip, I would rate Savuti 5th due to the service.
First, I should say that the setting, tented room and wildlife here are absolutely first rate. The accomodation is just beautiful and spacious, overlooking a scenic bend in the channel out front. At night we were serenaded by chirping frogs, toads and hippos.
Our experience with wildlife was exciting. We were thrilled to see a large pack of wild dogs, a pride of lion with small cubs, elephant, exceptional bird life and much more. Water activities were not available due to the time of year, but we did not miss them.
In comparison to other camps we visited, the food here was average. Perfectly acceptable, but no meal in particular was memorable. Our guide was very knowledgeable and talented, but did not seem to go out of his way to be helpful. He seemed to be slightly out of sorts with us. For a minor example, in other camps, if a guide noticed a guest loaded with gear when climbing into the range rover, he or she would automatically offer a hand. Not so in this case for the 2 days we were here. That seemed to be the prevailing attitude of the management of the camp.
While not specifically lacking in service, no one (other than the table help or less senior staff who were great) seemed to go out of their way, or be genuinely interested in the guests who were present in camp. More of a laissez faire sense of service was my impression. It seemed like they have so many guests routinely that exceptional service wasn't necessary - the people come, and the people go.
We were very spoiled by the wonderful food, friendliness and "can't do enough for you" attitudes we encountered elsewhere, so this review is in comparison to some pretty exceptional places. In truth, every place has an off day or two, and some guests fit in better one place than another.
Savuti is beautiful and the wildlife was plentiful. I hope my impression was the exception rather than the rule.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank tkdbb
WildernessSafaris, Manager at Wilderness Safaris Savuti Camp, responded to this reviewResponded June 20, 2013

Thank you for your comments and feedback which we value greatly. We are sorry to hear that there were a couple of points that made your stay less than exceptional, but thrilled that your wildlife experience and accommodations exceeded your expectations. Savuti certainly is a wonderful camp and area.

In response to some of your feedback, we would like to inform you that we have recently employed a qualified Food and Beverage Manager whom we are confident will assist in enhancing the food offering, service and attention to detail. We are sorry that this has been subsequent to your visit.

This entire feedback has been addressed with senior operations, camp management and guides. We will ensure that the management of the camp is continually of a high standard, that service is always a priority and attention to detail is paramount when hosting our guests.

We do believe that this type of feedback is an exception, and not the rule as stated, and hope that we have the opportunity to host you again in the future.

Reviewed March 26, 2013

The staff at Savuti welcomed us while the visiting elephants trumpeted from between the rooms and squirrels ran along the walkways.The staff were friendly, professional and nothing was too much trouble.They also all seemed to have valuable knowledge about the environment and nature.
We arrived in our room the first night to find candles and a bottle of champagne beautifully arranged on the floor.The housekeeping staff left us an anniversary message on our bed on the second day.
The kitchen staff and chef Provided excellent meals and brunches were beautifully presented and as good as in a large top hotel.The lodge is solar powered.
We chose to not participate in some of the game drives because we wanted to spend more time in the lodge itself.The river and the animals that visit the lodge provide for some laid back viewing from either your room's veranda, the deck or the lounge.The herds of elephant that visit the camp daily make themselves at home and provide a close-up experience that we will never forget.The lounge has a lot of books that are worth browsing on a hot afternoon and there is always a staff member passing by, offering drinks and making sure that guests are comfortable.
Romantic dinners outdoors with kerosene lamps and fireside breakfasts in the dark of dawn are some of the special moments that we'll take away with us from this place in the bush.This is a place that is worth revisiting someday soon.

Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Wayne and Mari K
Reviewed January 26, 2013

Savuti – The nicest accommodations of the 4 lodges during my trip. Very nice accommodations including electricity in the rooms and a great view of the Savuti Channel from each room. I could see elephants across the channel regularly. Had one elephant stop by to have lunch next to my front porch (within 5-10 feet) one afternoon. Went on a nice late afternoon boat trip and got to check out some hippos.

The staff was great and very friendly. I spent 3 nights at each of my camps except this one. I was only at Savuti for 2 nights, but wished I could had stayed one more. I don’t feel I gave it enough time to do it justice. Still, I got to see many lions, hippos, zebra, wild dogs, giraffe and LOTS of elephants! I got to see lions feeding on a small dead elephant. That was quite interesting. One afternoon, a herd of elephants wandered into camp and I was able to get quite close to them for some great pictures. The elephants were pretty mellow in this area as long as you kept a reasonable distance from them (10-20 feet).

My one small complaint about Savuti was that they did not use a tracker on game drives as all my other camps did. Now, our guide seemed to be very good at spotting game and even small animals while driving, but I have to think we might have missed some things that we wouldn’t have missed had they used a tracker. I don’t know if this is the norm though. Maybe they were just understaffed when I was there.

One of the highlights of Savuti was a walking safari. It was about a 3 mile hike for 1.5 hours. Our guide, Silas, was very knowledgeable. We heard lions roaring for much of our walk. He said it was nothing to worry about until at one point, he stopped, told us to get behind a fallen tree and sure enough… a lion wandered by about 3 minutes later. Luckily, it was far enough away that it paid us no attention.

All in all, a very good experience. If you prefer nicer accommodations, this is an especially good choice. Pictures and videos of my trip are available online. There is also a video of my room accommodations. Search photo site smugmug for "taxguyla" and check the safari gallery or contact me for the exact address. I hope my review is helpful to you. Joe

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
7  Thank Taxguyla
Reviewed January 25, 2013

We very much enjoyed our stay at this camp. Our villa was further down the boardwalk which we actually liked as it was a little more private and had great wildlife viewing given its slight removal from the main tented areas. We thought the room was good and the view was spectacular. The deck actually overhangs the Savuti Channel. One day we saw about 40 elephants cross the channel directly in front of our tent. Wildlife viewing was excellent. We saw wild dogs hunting, lions on several occasions including two up close hunting scenes where I was able to capture a lion in ful flight with one paw in the air just behind a fleeing buffalo. Lucky was our guide and he was very good. We did find the manner in which the guides here handled the two vehicle limit to not be as good as other camps but it was a minor issue for sure. I would reccomend this camp as a location to spend an extra night and a great spot if you want to take a day where you dont do two game drives but rather relax a little more and hang around the camp with some coctails and a book as the relaxing and beautiful setting and views were the best we saw.

Room Tip: We stayed in #6. Longer walk but great views and privacy.