Linyanti Bush Camp - African Bush Camps
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation but we can search other options in Linyanti Reserve
See available hotels
All reviewshelicopter ridegame drivesguide paulchobe national parkexcellent experiencedry seasonporridgethree nightscape buffalowater buckanimal activityspecial treatrainy seasonmain tentfirst stopwell taken carelarge tent
FilterAll languages
Reviewed August 14, 2012

My wife and I returned to Botswana in July for our tenth safari. We fell in love with Botswana’s people, wildlife and landscapes and spent many wonderful days there early in our marriage. It had been 15 years since our last visit, and we were a bit apprehensive about what changes may have occurred during that time. As it turns out, we should not have worried.

We had never been to the Linyanti area in northern Botswana, and wanted to see that area since the good floods in recent years had refilled the swamps. We opted to stay at Linyanti Bush Camp (LBC) which is owned and operated by African Bush Camps, and it turned-out to be a wonderful choice. From the moment we arrived to the welcoming singing at camp, the camp managers – Natalie and Willem – went above-and-beyond the call of duty to ensure our group had a wonderful time.

Some of the highlights at LBC:

• LBC is located in a private concession, allowing wonderful privacy and freedom of activities not allowed in the public parks.

• It is a smaller and more intimate camp (six guest tents = 12 guests max), that marries tradition and comfort… “Under canvas meets Luxury”

• We enjoyed having the option to do traditional game drives in open safari vehicles (including night drives), and water-based outings in power boats or traditional mokoros.

• The Driver-Guides -- Marks & Isaiah -- were very knowledgeable and friendly.

• We loved the elephants & hippos in and around camp. Absolutely thrilling!

• The guest tents were beautifully furnished and comfortable (and we loved the artistic touch of the “towel art” and hand-written personalized notes on the beds (on locally-made paper, no less).

• The lounge/dining tent was also nicely appointed, and the westward orientation made for spectacular sunsets.

• The food was very tasty, and varied. Table-settings were beautiful.

• Vehicles were clean and in good order.

• Camp staff and servers were all discrete, polite and did a very nice job.

• We loved the effort put into afternoon “sundowners,” remote picnic teas & coffees, and the incredible final dinner, served outdoors with lovely singing from the staff.

• Also appreciated the special birthday cake & singing presented to one of our group on his birthday.

• One morning we spotted some lion tracks going through camp. So we spent the morning tracking them, and caught-up with them near the the park. We got some great pics, then had a coffee while a large herd of elephants casually engulfed us as they grazed past. Wonderful experience!

All in all, LBC was a wonderful experience, and one we would highly recommend to anyone traveling to Botswana on safari.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
4  Thank 3,521
AfricanBushCamps, Public Relations Manager at Linyanti Bush Camp - African Bush Camps, responded to this reviewResponded August 22, 2012

Thank you very much for your lovely and thorough review of Linyanti Bush Camp. We are delighted that you had a wonderful stay with us and that it proved to be a good choice for your return to Botswana. We hope to have the opportunity to host you again on your next return to the country.

Warmest Regards
The Team at Linyanti Bush Camp and African Bush Camps

Reviewed July 19, 2012

Linyanti Bush Camp was the first stop on a month long trip to Botswana and Kenya. I had been to the Linyanti area before, but not since the river had started flowing again. I stayed for 4 nights and it was a wonderful, relaxing start to the trip. The camp staff and guides were all great, and although the predators spent the time hiding, we found plenty to watch and photograph. Meeting elephants on foot is always a great experience (providing you have an experienced guide!). Breakfast by the camp fire was a great start to each day and trips out on the river were a favourite activity for me. Watching Malachite Kingfishers and Elephants having a drink is a great way to spend the afternoon/evening. The food and service were excellent - nice and low key, but nothing was missed, including a birthday cake!
The tents are spacious with running water and hot showers - hot water bottles are also provided to cope with the overnight chill.
Linyanti is a beautiful area to explore and this camp makes the most of it.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank Julie W

Thank you very much for your review of Linyanti Bush Camp. We are glad this proved to be a relaxing start to your month long trip and that you enjoyed exploring the area with our Team at the camp. We hope you thoroughly enjoyed the rest of your trip and we look forward to having you back as a guest at one of our camps.

Warmest Regards
The Team at Linyanti Bush Camp

Reviewed June 17, 2012

I am sorry to say that this review has been 9 months coming. We were there in October, 2011.

There is a serenity to this particular camp. This is the bushcamp to come to be restored. We were at this camp for 2 nites, but you need 3 nites if not more.

This is where I came "to just be" in Africa, this was my dream of Africa. This is it guys, AUTHENTICITY, and I mean it. You must be prepared to come away from this place knowing that you are changed because of the experience of this environment, the animals, the people, and the great beauty of the bush and all that that entails.

Our guide, Gally was a quiet, diligent guide who miraculously found wild dogs. We had the honorable priviledge of observing wild dogs for an hour at twilight, which is incredibly rare, and all by ourselves.

Clara, oh Clara, (there should be one for every one's life on a safari) is a calm presence. When we entered our tented suite, I held my breath, as it had a lovely design of flowers on the bed, and then the tent is HUGE, and the view of the swamp tremendous. This spaciousness in such a remote area helps you to unwind from our modern lives, as there is no TV, internet, phone.

The food wonderful, french press in the morning. They bring you a hot thermos to make it. The moroko a must to see wildlife, the flowers, and the calm of the water.

Issac the camp manager will make sure that everything is taken care of for you. This camp was intimate, as the staff ate with you, and you got to know them if you wanted to. After dinner, you would go down to the fire and sit and talk some more. Here we were in Africa, with the magnificent stars, animal noises close and far away, few people, conversation wide and deep from great food, wine, books, music, etc. and (of course "keep the bush going" ) to how we were all in our own way going to save the world, and this is with people you have just met!!!!!!!!!

But you could have easily just been on your own here too if you need more time to yourselves, as they are extremely aware of a guest's needs.

Oh Linyanti, Linyanti, I long to go back.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank ayty
Reviewed January 8, 2012

our family of 5 stayed at LEC for 4 nights in mid december. we had the good fortune to have the entire camp to ourselves! the family tent was very comfortable for us. the rains had been heavy, so game was scarce in the area and the bush was thick and green. all the cats had moved away with the buffalo so the game viewing was not as good as it could have been. the food was amazingly great, hot water abundant. we had an amazing guide was Esa who knew everything. Issac the camp manager made sure we were happy and comfortable. the only thing i could say is that some type of solar powered fans would have been nice to have for the very hot nights. the beds were super cozy!

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed September 3, 2011

I stayed at Linyanti Bush Camp for two nights in August 2011. I was traveling alone for leisure. This was the second camp I stayed at on my first-ever African/safari vacation. My first camp was Xakanaxa Camp in the Moremi Game Reserve in the Okavango Delta, which was also great.

But I wanted to add a night or two in Chobe, and I wanted to try a camp in a private reserve, so that I could have the off-road and night drive experiences. Linyanti Bush Camp far exceeded my expectations on all counts. The game viewing here was even better than in the delta, and our guide, Isaac, was by far the best safari guide of the three or four I encountered on this vacation. His English skills and customer service level are a cut above the rest, but, more important than that, his encyclopedic knowledge and clear passion for the land and the wildlife really shine through at every moment. At one point, he managed to take us to a watering hole right in time to see huge herds of buffalo, zebra, and elephants all at once. Then a radio call came in that there had been a leopard sighting on the other side of the reserve. He got us there, fixing a flat tire en route, in time to see the leopard. When we wanted to start our morning game drive extra early the following day to try to see the leopard again, Isaac was more than happy to accommodate, and indeed we had another incredible sighting. Also saw lions, kudu, other antelope, lots of birds, and more elephants than we knew what to do with. Ask for Isaac by name. He made the trip.

I was also very glad about my decision to try a private concession camp for the off-roading and night drives -- those were really unique, special experiences. And, after constantly passing other camp vehicles and self-drivers in Moremi, it was nice to have the entire concession to ourselves at Linyanti. On our game drives, we would go hours without seeing another soul. Isaac also took us on a brief walking safari where we got to pursue some elephants up-close-and-personal. Unforgettable!

The camp is also very unfenced. Elephants and hippos literally walked by my tent all night long. One morning, I turned on my electric toothbrush and heard an elephant just on the other side of the tent wall get startled! And one afternoon we got to see them in the water right in front of my tent, at a distance of less than 20 yards.

The accommodations and the rest of the staff were great, too. From the outside, the common area dining/lounge tent and the sleeping tents here look a little more basic than some other camps. And they are somewhat less elaborate than Xakanaxa. (It's just a tent itself set up on concrete pavement, rather than being on a raised wooden platform with a wooden roof over the tent. And there's no division inside the tent between the bed and the bathroom area, other than a closet, and no electrical outlets inside the sleeping tents.) But, inside, they have very comfortable amenities and a nice, casual, "African-chic" décor. The common area is smallish, but the camp only accommodates up to 12 guests, so it's adequate. Very nice space to sit and read or have a drink. Good selection of wines and beverages. The food was not quite as elaborate or formal as at Xakanaxa Camp, but was probably actually tastier. They had a chicken curry pie that was DELICIOUS! Staff eat meals with you, which is a nice chance to get to know them. Clara, Patrick, and Oko(?) were very gracious. The small size makes it feel they're invitign you into their family for a few days.

I thought the outdoor pool area was a little dirty, but that's hard to avoid with falling leaves and lots of birds leaving their mess on the pool deck. Other guests said they spent an afternoon in the pool and thought it was perfectly fine, so it's no major problem.

Would kill to go back some day.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled solo