we didnt stay at the hotel, but just dined at the restaurant. it was well worth the trip to Santa Venerina, on the slopes of the southern road to the etna. the small town itself is just 5 minutes from the Giarre exit on the A18 highway, but there`s a lot lot of climbing with your car from the centro, you just follow the "tenuta san michele "signs. parking your car , embalmed by the jasmines, with a great view the Etna and the sea when the sky`s clear, and taking the few steps down to the vine covered terrace, and you`ve made it to paradise. you get greeted by a glass of Murgo`s brut sparkling wine, and then the excellent antipasti buffet. how are they preparing this filled omelette roll ? the folks there are so kind , which makes up for their poor English, as usual. there`s no carta, but a fixed menu which changes every day, and after antipasti , foccacia and bruschetta you get two primi, excellent pasta and al dente by the book. and then the mains, today`s was an mixed arrosto, excellent grilled lamb and veal tonnato, great stuff. the menu also includes mineral water and Murgo wine, and you end the splurge with a dolce dessert plus fresh fruit and coffee. well worth the 26 euros you pay, and 15 euros for children. do not come looking for a chef cuisine with michelin stars. do come if you like Sicily at it`s best
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The San Michele estate is situated on the eastern slopes of Mt Etna in the area of the village Santa Venerina, at an altitude of about 500 m over sea level and on one of the main roads that leads to the summit craters.The winery and a part of the cellars are situated in an ancient building in the typical Etna style. The new cellar was built in 1999, in an innovative structure on two levels, in perfect harmony with the surrounding countryside.It is a family winery, active since 1860. Nearby other buildings surrounded by the vines are used for tourism. All around is the wonderful panorama that goes from the Taormina promontory to Capo Mulini. Mt Etna dominates this magnificent scene towering up to its summit at 3,300 m. The vineyards are in a single area, distributed on large terraces and cover 26 hectares. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Priceline, Booking.com and Agoda so you can book your Agriturismo Tenuta San Michele reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Agriturismo Tenuta San Michele Hotel Santa Venerina
- Agriturismo Tenuta San Michele Santa Venerina, Sicily, Italy