“Comfortable hotel in beautiful surroundings”

Landhotel Moosbeck-Alm
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Rottenbuch
Cardiff, United Kingdom
“Comfortable hotel in beautiful surroundings”
Reviewed July 19, 2010

This 'wellness hotel' was a one night stop off for us during a hiking trip. It is a friendly place in a beautiful setting. Rainbow flags fly proudly, but there was a mix of cleintele, and as a heterosexual couple we were entirely comfortable. The room was large and clean. The beer garden is large and kitsch to the extreme. We had a nice meal, but did not use the (nudist) spa.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Pennsylvania
Reviewed April 28, 2009

I was surprised by some of the reviews here. My experience at the Moosbeck-Alm was terrific. This is definitely a country getaway and we found it very comfortable, accommodating, inviting, and extremely friendly. The house contains old Bavarian furniture (some antiques?) and handcrafts in the local style. For an American with a limited time to enjoy Bavaria, we found the ambience charming. The walking in the immediate area was very enjoyable and Rottenbuch was a fun excursion. There's something to be said for lodging amongst the fame of Oberammergau and other nearby towns, but we were delighted with the low-key, casual and quiet atmosphere offered here. Herr Gruber and staff were very kind to our children, who are quite young, and we appreciated the way they made our children feel welcome and at home. We enjoyed the restaurant and thought the food - traditional regional fare - was quite good! Overall we had a wonderful stay and we'll visit again.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled with family
Austin, TX, USA
Reviewed January 13, 2009

After reading the previous review (or, more precisely, after using Google to translate it), I felt compelled to offer a totally different point of view. I stayed at Moosbeck Alm for four nights in September of 2008, and my impressions could not be more different.

Moosbeck Alm is a charming place that exceeded my expectations. I am an American who felt a bit of trepidation about traveling independently in a country whose language I find confounding, but I was treated very warmly and made to feel right at home at Moosbeck Alm. Hans, the owner, is especially gracious. Most of the staff speak passable if not fluent English.

The hotel is located just outside a quiet village in a pastoral setting with no hints of modern blight anywhere in sight. The building is straight out of a storybook. It's a three-story Bavarian country house that is lovely and very well kept, as are the manicured grounds. I opted for the least expensive room since I was alone. It was a superb value for the price, especially considering that the exchange rate at the time was not great. (It worked out to about US $63 per night.) My room was comfortably furnished and had lots of personality, with a private bathroom that was small but perfectly adequate and a small balcony with a view over the lawn. The room was cleaned daily.

Breakfast is served in a large sunroom. It is a buffet with lots of breads, spreads, cold meats, cheeses, cereals, fruits and juices, and it is among the more extensive "continental" breakfasts I've found in continental Europe. There is a full-service restaurant (with an extensive wine list) just inside the hotel entry that is open in the evenings.

The clientele at Moosbeck appeared to be mainly gay couples, although the restaurant was patronized by the general public. There are a few features gay men in particular will appreciate. First is the pool, where swimsuits are optional. While the pool is just across the lawn from the hotel, it is located at the base of an abrupt slope, so it is completely secluded from view. I visited in mid-September, which is a little past the prime season for poolside sunning in Germany, but a few guests took advantage of the lounge chairs to catch a few rays in the approximately 70-degree (F) weather. No one wore anything. The second feature is the basement "wellness" center, which is a like a little spa with a sauna, a steam room, lounge chairs, showers and a massage room. I'm actually not clear whether it is available to everyone or just to men, but during my stay only men were present and everyone was naked. (Although co-ed nudity would be nothing shocking. Germans are notoriously casual about nudity, even in mixed company.)

To address some of the disappointments of the previous reviewer, I too would have preferred longer operating hours of the restaurant and wellness center. The restaurant did close at 8 pm, and I would have eaten there more had the hours been longer. However, the one evening meal I did have there was quite tasty and the atmosphere cozy. It was hearty and simple fare, but that's what I expect from a country hotel. Yes, the hours of the wellness center are limited. It is only available from 4 pm - 7 pm, and it would have been nice to go for a late-night sauna session. However, those were manageable disappointments.

Moosbeck is a good base for exploring lots of sights in southern Bavaria. Neuschwanstein, Germany's most famous castle, is just half an hour to the south. Wieskirche is even closer. Oberammergau, Castle Linderhof and the Zugspitze are also nearby. Moosbeck is a pleasing combination of low key, quiet, friendly, gay and clothing optional (in areas). I always enjoying staying in relaxed gay places that are not the stereotypical hyper party venues, and for me Moosbeck was ideal.

• Liked — clothing-optional areas
  • Disliked — limited hours of the restaurant and wellness center
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
8 Thank 3spoiledkitties
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rottenbuch
Landhotel & Gasthof Zur Post
#1 of 2 in Peiting
Hotel Alte Post
Hotel Alte Post
#2 of 2 in Schongau

Been to Landhotel Moosbeck-Alm? Share your experiences!