“Wonderful hotel”

Ayii Anargyri Natural Healing Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Miliou
Reviewed June 12, 2011

A wonderful hotel with a 20 metre pool, set in a quiet valley away f rom the main road. Staff were extremely helpful and friendly. Amazing breakfasts, and the pool bar meals during the day were reasonable value, but unfortunately the dinners were exhorbitantly expensive. Most guests would eat in the restaurant on their first evening and then look for other places to eat for the rest of their stay, which was a shame as the food was good quality, and to eat anywhere else necessitated a 20 minute drive to Kathikas or Polis.
With one exception however : the Pangratios Taverna in Miliou village, a 10 minute walk up the hill. This family-run taverna served the most amazing meze amongst other dishes of local produce, all cooked to Grandma's wonderful recipes. Very good value, excellent quality food and house wine and a very friendly atmosphere, much frequented by locals.

Room Tip: Use a tour operator for best deals
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple

Reviewed June 3, 2011

My husband and I booked a weekend get away at this hotel from 3 months before (left the kids with mum) we were looking forward to our relaxing weekend with two other couples only to be very disappointed from the first hour. The place it's self is very beautiful, a mixture of old and new, stone and wood, rustic, just gorgeous! The spa must be one of the biggest I've been to so far, lovely green mountains all around, just a petty though that they have such terrible stuff.

We arrived just before 3 and we had 2 hours before our previously booked spa treatment. Plenty of time I thought to get something to eat and have a little rest before the treatment. Little did we know that we were going to encounter 'Mr. Bean' as our waiter and some very slow cooks in the kitchen. The waiter was getting him self all confused every time we requested to make a small change to our meal (eg. jacket potato instead of fried) I ordered some dips to snack on because we were all hungry after our long drive. After waiting for over half an hour for the dips I asked if he was to bring them at all? He thought he was supposed to bring them with the main meal!

At some point I got up to go and change for my spa treatment because I really thought I'd have no time to. It took them about an hour and a half to finally bring our meal.By that time I was so wound up that I couldn't enjoy my meal.

Just made it to our spa treatment on time only to find that the therapist had no clue about spa treatment what so ever! She did not make me relax at all! The body scrub part of the treatment was over far too soon and with very harsh movements, no soft massage movement like you get else where. The tub part of the treatment was ok I suppose except that she forgot the lights on too high and I couldn't relax. Oh and the music was too low and stopped altogether at some point, I left with a head ache!

The relaxing room was very nice, large windows viewing the green mountains!

The first day was just horrible! Including the night because the hotel did not get the local channel which showed the champions league game our husbands couldn't miss for anything, so we had to drive into town! I got sick from the whole ordeal and when I finally got back to the hotel fell asleep with my clothes on!

Thank goodness the following day was much better. Breakfast was perfect! Stuff was perfect! We spent the morning in the sulphur pools and enjoyed the sauna and more pool soaking!

Finally felt relaxed!

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 7, 2011

I'm terribly torn by how I feel about Ayii Anargyri. The surroundings and the resort itself lend itself to a magical, luxurious atmosphere with the pool providing the most tranquil setting.

However, there are quite a few disappointing aspects of the hotel which is a real shame. For example, don't expect to use the spa facilities, such as the featured sulphur pool (with jets turned on) unless you are willing to pay 45 euros PER PERSON. You can sit in the pool as a hotel guest, but there isn't any point in bathing in tepid water. We had asked in advance if our room price - we specifically upgraded to a Monk's Room after being told when booking that the sulphur treatment would be included, but this was not true. There is no steam room and the only saunas available are two tiny ones located in the men's and women's changing rooms downstairs.

The restaurant is significantly overpriced for dinner and we chose not to take our dinners there. The minimum spend was £100 (not including drinks, etc), which I thought was unnecessary. However, we did have lunch there several times and the lunch menu is delicious - the dishes are big enough for two people to share. We had wanted to order room service for food to be brought to our room several times, but the absence of a menu in our room made this difficult.

We found a cleaning cloth in our bathroom accidentally left by our cleaners, which made me also question the hygiene practices, as it was dirty and stained but left by the bathroom sink and near my drying swimsuit.

We were also puzzled by the lack of fridge in our room and the typical complimentary tea/coffee and kettle, which is sometimes nice to have in the evening. It would have also been helpful to have a book in the room suggesting activities in the area or things to see/do/etc. as it's really in the remote countryside and even if you have a car, you must rely on whatever guide book you've brought with you. It's strange that such a book telling you a bit more about the hotel, surrounding area, etc. which is typical to most hotels I've stayed in, isn't available here. It's telling that there aren't any opportunities to leave comments or a guest satisfaction survey, which most hotels also offer, before you leave. We had asked to speak to the hotel manager to discuss the spa discrepancy but he was "busy" and it was promised that he would return to us by phone or letter, but neither happened.

I have to rate the hotel highly because it is absolutely beautiful and I would definitely return - I just really wish it would improve on the points specified above. But judging from others' comments here and the fact that I encountered the same issues, I doubt that things will change.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 3, 2011

The hotel itself was fine. I can't complain about the location, standard of amenities or complimentary slippers.

What really let this hotel down was the restaurant menu. As a spa / resort in the middle of of countryside I was expecting "farm fresh" healthy types of dishes, such as vegetables grown in the neighboring village or local specialty meats and eggs. Instead the menu was a standard European hotel restaurant type affair. In all fairness though, the dish which I finally had to settle on was cooked very well.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 4, 2011

Very good hotel for relax the only think you listen is the bird!the amount per room could be little cheaper!

• Stayed: March 2011
Review collected in partnership with Bookcyprus.com
1  Thank Geoxen
Reviewed March 18, 2011

Still not quite sure what to make of this hotel really. Yes it is nice but I don't think its really overly special.
Location - to be frank it is in the middle of nowhere. The village of Miliou is a few houses and 1 taverna and is up a very steep hill, torch and hiking boots required. the other nearby village of gioliu had a little more but is a few km's away. A car is essential here, there are some lovely spots to explore out and about and if you're into hiking it's good, but a gentle stroll to local bars, restaurants etc is impossible.
Food - was very good, if a little over-ambitious. Breakfast was great, whatever cooked dishes you wanted plus a good spread of cold options. We were half board so had the dinner included and had the chef's reccomendations both nights (although there was the option to choose from the menu up to €40). we had bread with dips, an amuse bouche (spring roll first night, samosa second night) then 3 courses. the first night it was sea bass or duck and both were very nice. the second night was kind of 3 things in one, so 3 ways with duck which my husband had and it was ok and I had 3 ways with seafood which was also ok, but both far too ambitious and too many flavours. I was wanting more traditional Cypriot food making the most of local ingredients rather than overly fancy trying too hard cooking.
The bar was virtually deserted, possibly because of the very high prices for drinks compared to outisde the hotel. the atmosphere over all was rather subdued.
Rooms - we had an original room which is one of the monks rooms, which was nice and a little different. we struggled with the temperature controls though as the room was too hot or too cold and never just right. We had the "healing waters" on tap in the bathroom but actually using the bath and shower was awkward beacuse of where the handrail, shower fixtures and taps have been placed on the wall in very impractical places.
We didn't use the pool as it was bad weather nor did we use the spa.
I don't think it offers great value for money however if you get reasonable prices it makes a change from the usual beach hotels and if you want to explore by car the surrounding villages it is a good base. If you want complete relaxation you will get it as it is quiet and totally peaceful.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 22, 2011

The hotel is situated in a quiet location up the mountains but not very far from the beach. We stayed here for our anniversary weekend and we loved it. Will definately go back. When we requested something for the room they brought it to us in 5 minutes. The room was spacious and clean and the little veranda outside was a lovely place to sit.

Will go back again one day.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Miliou
Droushia Heights Hotel
Almyra Hotel
Almyra Hotel
#13 of 85 in Paphos
Columbia Beach Resort Pissouri

Been to Ayii Anargyri Natural Healing Spa? Share your experiences!