“Good price, not such good food”

Ranked #8 of 9 Restaurants in Agros
Cuisines: European
Description: Rude Manners….! I was brought to this Tavern and Bar Restaurant in the village of Agros by a friend of mine. We came here from a nearby village since all the other taverns were closed. The interior décor of the café-restaurant is nice and cozy, a pleasant atmosphere with a big selection of wines on one of the walls just behind where we were sitting. The TV set was a bit loud but we asked the man and turned the volume down. We did not want to eat much that evening, and we ordered a portion of grilled mushrooms for me, one portion of lamp chops for my friend, a green salad, and a bottle of red wine. Everything fine up to the moment when the food is brought to us. I understood that it could not be such a huge portion for one person and I asked my friend how many portions of lamp chops had I ordered. He answered ….just one, so we ask the owner to tell us if the dish was for two or one person. He sounded so rude and got angry with us because since we were two he said he thought that we would want 2 portions. We reply that we just want one so he can take it back. He got furious, and in a very rude manner he tells us to eat as much as we wish and he will not count more than one portion. The whole atmosphere changed immediately and we got so upset. We did not want to sit a single minute out there, but we left as soon as we finished our dinner. Very rude …a churl! Don’t eat what you are brought if you are not sure what you are going to pay. This can surely be a trick. We paid 30 euros but we refused to have the extra lamp chops! I would recommend the restaurant only if all the others are closed. Rude Manners….! I was brought to this Tavern and Bar Restaurant in the village of Agros by a friend of mine. We came here from a nearby village since all the other taverns were closed. The interior décor of the café-restaurant is nice and cozy, a pleasant atmosphere with a big selection of wines on one of the walls just behind where we were sitting. The TV set was a bit loud but we asked the man and turned the volume down. We did not want to eat much that evening, and we ordered a portion of grilled mushrooms for me, one portion of lamp chops for my friend, a green salad, and a bottle of red wine. Everything fine up to the moment when the food is brought to us. I understood that it could not be such a huge portion for one person and I asked my friend how many portions of lamp chops had I ordered. He answered ….just one, so we ask the owner to tell us if the dish was for two or one person. He sounded so rude and got angry with us because since we were two he said he thought that we would want 2 portions. We reply that we just want one so he can take it back. He got furious, and in a very rude manner he tells us to eat as much as we wish and he will not count more than one portion. The whole atmosphere changed immediately and we got so upset. We did not want to sit a single minute out there, but we left as soon as we finished our dinner. Very rude …a churl! Don’t eat what you are brought if you are not sure what you are going to pay. This can surely be a trick. We paid 30 euros but we refused to have the extra lamp chops! I would recommend the restaurant only if all the others are closed.
Reviewed January 24, 2013

We had the meze dinner. The food didn't really leave a mark and it wasn't anything but average. The atmosphere in this small, authentic and nicely decorated place is a bit disappointing since a big TV screen was placed in one of the main walls, which kind of ruined the romantic cozy feel of this place for me and my wife. Service was also not something to be praised or remembered. Overall, it was an average restaurant and definitely not worth a special journey.

Reviewed December 7, 2012

I have visited this taverna several times, always with a large group of Cypriot friends. In winter it is warm and welcoming and the interior, with its decoration of small tapestries and old agricultural tools hung upon the stonework, feels intimate and romantic. It is a small place with a huge meze that counts among the best if not the best I've enjoyed in Cyprus. But of course all food tastes better in the right environment. This taverna is also very much a local restaurant rather than a tourist trap and the food served illustrates that - fresh, beautifully cooked and typically far too much for the average appetite. Be warned, don't indulge too early in the meze it goes on and on and on... Highly recommended.

1  Thank Andreabus
Reviewed August 9, 2012

We decided to eat here as we knew it would be cheaper than eating at our hotel. I was very pleased with how friendly the staff were. We were the only people eating at the tavern- this isn't because of the tavern itself it is because it is in a small village. The food was very nice and well cooked. We ate here both nights of our visit to the mountains, and the second night the owner gave us our drinks free which was very nice of him. The tavern was only a 5 min walk from the hotel.
Overall brilliant food and friendly staff.

Reviewed July 30, 2012

I like agros village restaurants.All of them are clean and friendly environment. They serve traditonal dishes and sweets of Cyprus which are famous around the world .

Reviewed July 23, 2012

Went there because it was the top rated restaurant in the Troodos Mountain area. It was ok, nothing special. Difficulty finding it at first because on the front of the building is written 'Tavern & Cafe', but on the outdoor seating area it is written 'Tavern & Bar'. We sat in the outdoor seating area which is on the opposite side of the road. Road is moderately busy. Outdoor seating area looks down onto the back of a rather scruffy building and parking area, no glorious views! Local radio station playing on the sound system which was a little intrusive. Service was ok, rather indifferent. Meze was €16. Food was generally simple fare, but fresh and excellently cooked - with the one exception of the Cyprus wine sausage which was well overcooked. Meze was not as extensive as some - only one vegetable dish, Mushrooms, no casserole type dish and no lamb, nevertheless there was ample food. If you are in Agros this place is worth a visit, but not worth making a special journey for.