“Excellent, Excellent, Excellent!!!”

Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Porters
Broadway
“Excellent, Excellent, Excellent!!!”
Reviewed January 23, 2007

We decided on a short break to the Caribbean in January instead of going skiing - I was blown away by the Barbados and especially by the FRP.

Ok so there are better hotels in the world but none of them make you relax quite so quickly and provide the R&R much needed after a family Christmas.

The rooms all overlook the sea and our groundfloor room allowed me to walk from my patio to swim in the sea (approx 20m).

There is so much to do such as swim with the turtles, dive on the reef and all the watersports!

We walked nearly everywhere and I felt totally safe all the time, the people of this island are some of the most guenuine and educated people I have met accross the Caribbean and make you feel exceptionally welcome.

The highlight of the holiday for me was the number of amazing restaurants very nearby including a couple within walking distance!

All in all - Excellent - I will booking my stay for next year now! Hope you have as much fun as we did.

Stayed January 2007
4 Thank Highday

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (349)
ohio
Reviewed October 31, 2006

The Fairmont Barbados is not like other Fairmont's that I have stayed at. Everyone is very nice from the second that you walk in the door, but the overall service, amenities and resort grounds are not Fairmont quality. It takes nearly 20 minutes to just get ice in your glass when you ask for it, the concierge has their "own" hours and seemed to just show up and leave when they pleased, the pool was always dirty with leaves and empty glasses and food, the tennis courts were in okay condition, but the rackets that they to let guests use were in horrible conditin and the balls they gave us were at least 3-4 months old and flat. They was live music a few of the nights in Cafe Taboras and the Palm Terrace, but they market is horribly, so know one shows up and it turns into a very boring dead party.
The room was overall very nice, but our t.v. only worked half of the time and our air conditiong and power went out one day (IT GETS VERY VERY HOT!!!). For the hotel, or resort as they call themselves, to bare the Fairmont name, they need to make many improvements, for half of the price, we could have gone to the Hilton and had better service more resort amenities. The rooms would not have been as nice, but when you are in Barbados, you do not spend much time in your room, and that was the nicest part of the resort. Since it was our honeymoon, we were dissapointed, but overall we had fun with eachother. I do not reccomend going there is you are used to The Fairmonts in the U.S. which are like Ritz's or Four Seasons. Also, there is no great nightlife and the shopping is terrible unless you want to purchase jewlry.

• Liked — our room was really nice, the ocean is gorgeous, Bajan people are super nice
  • Disliked — It's not a resort at all, it needs major, major improvements from customer service to the grounds and amenities
  • Tips/Secrets — Stay at Sandy Lane if you can afford it, do not go for more than 5-6 days, go the Cliff for dinner, AMAZING place to dine!!
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled as a couple
11 Thank esorall
esher, surrey
Reviewed October 14, 2006

We have just returned from a 10 day stay at The Fairmont and we really couldn't fault it. The service in this hotel is what makes it special. All of the staff go out of their way to make your stay memorable and could not do enough for you, special thanks go to Dave, Dawn, Anne, Margaret, Francine and the beach guy Livingstone. The staff, without exception were always happy and smiling and extremely helpful and curteous. The concierge, Anne, arranged all our restaurant bookings, car hire and excursions, which made everything hassle free. The location is also perfect as this is one of best stretches of beach along the West Coast for a hotel. The property is quite long, so there are more than enough loungers and parasols along the beach. The pool/beach guys will also ensure that you are comfortable and happy and there is regular waitress service if you want drinks etc. One of the best things about this hotel are the views - you literally feel as though you can reach out and touch the ocean from your spacious balcony. The views are right out over the ocean and the sunsets here are magnificent. Although the rooms are a little on the small side, they are well appointed, with every convenience, including TV, mini bar and free tea and coffee. The bathroms were very nice with plenty of complimentary toiletries. Cafe Taboras is very relaxed and friendly and the afternoon tea was a real treat and something to look forward to everyday. We also ate at the Palm Terrace, which we were a little disappointed with as compared to some of the other restaurants that we ate at, it lacked ambience, although the location was right on the beach, you cannot see the beach as there is no outside lighting, although you can hear the sound of the waves which was very relaxing. They have some wonderful extras at no extra cost, including the water sports, afternoon tea, DVD and CD hire, including the use of a laptop with internet connection at no charge, which I thought was a brilliant idea. All in all this is a wonderful hotel and one which we would highly recommend. We had an amazing holiday and can't wait to return to this wonderful relaxing and friendly hotel.

• Liked — Service, beach & ocean views
  • Tips/Secrets — walk to the Lone Star - it's a 5 minute walk along the beach or the road!!!!!
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled as a couple
12 Thank Bernadette&Dave
New York
Reviewed September 25, 2006

So I booked my honeymoon in January with the Fairmont Royal Pavilion as the hotel was recommended by a friend. Two weeks before we were due to arrive I get a phone call from my travel agent that the Fairmont decided to close for rennovations during my stay and are cancelling it now. The rennovations were known about months in advance, but they opted not to tell me when I had already been booked for ten days. Their solution was putting me in a hotel of their choosing without a water view suite which is what I had booked with them originally. I never recieved an apology, they never tried to upgrade me for putting me out and they refused to book a room at a different hotel after the hotel they wanted to put me in had poor TripAdvisor reviews. They were extremely unhelpful and I had to cancel my trip and book my honeymoon 2 weeks before on my own. Worst experience I have ever had dealing with a hotel and it was for my honeymoon!!!!!! Unreal. If this is the way they treat their guests I can only imagine how it is run.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Tips/Secrets — Avoid the Fairmont Royal Pavillion
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled as a couple
15 Thank Happytobeaway
Peekskill, NY
Reviewed August 1, 2006

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Royal Pavilion July 20 - 26 and had a fabulous time!!

Even after a 2 hour delay leaving JFK and then an additional 1 hour delay clearing Customs in Barbados, once we arrived at the RP, thing improved dramatically. We checked-in quickly and were escorted to our lovely ground floor room. After a very thorough tour of the room, our welcome drinks arrived (Banks Beer for John & champagne for me) our luggage quickly followed!

Since it was such a long travel day, we chose to eat at the Palm Terrace the first night and enjoyed a lovely dinner, listening to a nice 4 piece band.

The first morning waking up and seeing the gorgeous beach just outside our terrace was perfect.

The service, and quality of the staff were great. Anne and Sabrina at the Concierge desk were fabulous with making dinner reservations, directions, etc.

Room service was prompt and perfect.

Besides, relax, you are on vacation, and if I have to wait a few extra minutes for my meal/drink, at least I am not in the office.

The beach vendors are courteous, and as long as you are polite, there is no problem. The hotel guards patrol frequently, and made it a point when I was on the beach alone (John was golfing) to keep an eye out. I never felt threatened or uncomfortable.

The rum punch is wonderful (according to John) and the bar staff always keeps smiling.

A truly memorable vacation, and we hope to visit again soon, once we save up some money. Yes, expensive, but worth every penny.

• Liked — Decor & ease of access to ocean & beach.
  • Disliked — It did tend to get a bit warm on the terrace in late afternoon when the sun was going down.
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled as a couple
23 Thank kwins0113
London, England
Reviewed July 30, 2006

Essentially, a great and relatively hassle free family holiday. We once stayed (without kids) at the Sandy Lane - which is a different class altogether- but this is not a bad second best. Rooms were good (even if the aircon and minibars are a bit old fashioned). The ocean views which are shared by all the rooms are marvellous. Staff are friendly, if not always as efficient as they might be. Breakfasts wrere plentiful but avoid barbecue night which was very disappointing. The Palm Terrace bar at sundown is terrific. Best food, however, is to be found outside the hotel.

My teenage kids made the most of the complimentary water sports and the good quality tennis courts.

Beach vendors were certainly a pain and there were a couple of noisy arguments during our stay, but they are easily avoided and they soon get the hint if you refuse to engage them.

Notwithstanding pricey extras, it still represented a good value family holiday at this standard for this time of year.

• Liked — position
  • Disliked — slow service
  • Tips/Secrets — no
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled with family
11 Thank Goooner
LOndon, UK
Reviewed July 28, 2006

Family of four just before the main rush 22-29 July two teenage girls 15 & 18.

Hotel, staff, facilities beach wonderful. Food is very good but expensive - meal for 4 plus wine and pre-dinner drinks would be around £300. Buffet meals plus round of drinks about £220. Tipping policy is unclear - 10% service is added to everything signed for but unclear whether staff expect cash tips in addition. We spent around £2,000 on food and drinks during the week.

Maids and room service are faultless. Staff greet you by name after first day. Nothing is too much trouble.

Service in restaurants can be slow. Best restaurant on the island outside the hotel is Tides owned by ex Le Gavroche Chef. Aagain relatively expensive but good quality and choice of food. Book ahead. Recent celebs spotted - Gary Lineker and Fidel Castro.

The locals and beach vendors are friendly, and not too pushy. Further up the beach you will be offered anything - literally.. Sea is safe and free of jellyfish. Midges are a problem around your ankles by the pool and at the bar so spray with insectiside.

This is a general ramble on a few points to bear in mind but it is a first class hotel only 70 rooms and extremely comfortable and relaxing.

Stayed June 2006
17 Thank Aviator2
Also consider these accommodations in or near Porters
Colony Club by Elegant Hotels
#1 of 4 in Saint Philip Parish
Crystal Cove by Elegant Hotels
Crystal Cove by Elegant Hotels
#7 of 26 in Saint James Parish

Been to Fairmont Royal Pavilion? Share your experiences!