You can't fault the perfect location on Barbados' beautiful West Coast, with the benefit of one the widest strips of immaculate beach, gentling shelving so good for kids too. Or the pristine gardens with massive bearded fig trees where green monkeys live. Or the friendly staff. Or the great pool area with masses of sun loungers and towels. Or the cool bar area where you can retreat out of the sun and sit with a cold beer under the cooling fans. Or the ability to be in any number of restaurant hot-spots in 5-10 minutes using the efficient cab service from reception.
But somehow with all this potential, this hotel doesn't quite hit its potential. It should be more special than it is. The rooms are very nice, but I was struck that once you pulled the curtains and got rid of your amazing sea view, the room could be in any US city - it is a Fairmont hotel which makes no allowance for being by the glorious Caribbean. The colours are urban neutral, not aqua vibrant. It's all functional and acceptable without a wow factor.
The restaurant serves a great buffet breakfast, although some variety from day to day would help. Lunch is pretty standard fare, so best stick to a simple salad, pasta or a burger.
On our first night the restaurant ran an Italian night (amazingly) - we did try again but its not as good as you'd hope. Carribbean specialities eg Jerk chicken, lacked real spice.
And despite having plenty of customers, the bar shuts at 12 at the latest regardless - strange.
With a few small changes, this really could be 5 star.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located on the sought-after Platinum Coast, on a 1/2 mile long beach and 11 acres of lush tropical gardens, you'll fill your sun-kissed days and starlit nights with unforgettable moments. All 72 rooms and suites offer magnificent, unobstructed views of the beautiful Caribbean Sea. Several included services will make your stay even more memorable, including daily afternoon tea, WiFi, fitness room, tennis courts, a freshwater pool, non-motorized water sports, swim with the turtles, a weekly manager's cocktail and garden tours. Indulge your senses with innovative Caribbean-inspired menus at 2 beachfront restaurants. In-room dining available 24-7. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Orbitz, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Agoda, TravelUp, Priceline, Hotwire, getaroom.com, Cancelon, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly and TripOnline SA so you can book your Fairmont Royal Pavilion reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Fairmont Royal Pavilion Hotel Porters
- Fairmont Hotel Porters
- Fairmont Hotel Royal Pavilion
- Fairmont St. James
- Barbados Fairmont Hotel
- St. James Fairmont
- Fairmont Royal Pavilion Barbados/Saint James Parish