Can we start by saying that this is a GREAT property and we had an amazing weeks holiday mid May 2011. Key plus points to note:
-Fantastic staff (Deidriana on the front desk was vibrant, cheeky and very helpful- what you need from reception. Francine -the catering manager went out of her way to make you smile and made sure there was sufficient vegetarian food on the menu each evening for my wife and Keith the egg chef has been with the property 21 years and through 5 owners. He is a hugely charismatic and just told great stories. In addition he makes a fabulous eggs benedict that would rival any NY hotel.
- Superb location - for sunsets, beaches and swimming with turtles
- Dedon garden furniture on the patios / beach / pool side plus miller harris toiletries in the rooms gave it a luxurious feel and substantiated the five stars
-Amazing ocean front rooms that allow you to sit in bed and see the sunset, hear the ocean at night and have a romantic private dinner on your balcony.
- Housekeeping that worked to our schedule. I have read reports on trip adviser that they were very slow and didn't do rooms till later in the day but we found that a simple chat in the morning allowed them to plan the day ahead around our itinerary.
-Complimentary afternoon tea. It was just a wonderfully civilised way to break up the day's relaxation /swimming and was a welcome late afternoon snack.
........not all rooms are beach facing. There are 3 rooms in the villa that sit near the tennis courts.
....... not all rooms are what we believe to be of 5 star standard. We arrived and were shown the villa room which are based on the old Pavillion style of decor- please see the hotel website. One of the rooms in the villa needs a lot of work (happy to share photos): poor paintwork, curtains that do not fit the window appropriately and the need for a transformer for international adapters to work which looked like something out of the fifties.
We raised our concerns with the general manager, who was very professional and moved us to the main hotel into an ocean facing room -which is truely a five star room. We were lucky one was available.
We were advised that the villa was an entry level room, and it was what my travel agent had booked without advising me. Notwithstanding this, the difference in room standard was just shocking to us and not what one would expect from the Fairmont brand.
If you are looking to stay at this property make sure you know what you are booking and if you can afford it pay for the ocean front room -We would definitely recommend it. I was lucky that they had a room vacant for us to upgrade,, but also the general manager was prepared to listen to our concerns.
In the end this was just an amazing holiday, and we will stay at this hotel several times over, but i will ensure i am in an ocean fronted room.
The general manager also advised us that he would look into the villa room that we stayed in, so please note that this post may not reflect any proposed changes.
I hope this helps.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located on the sought-after Platinum Coast, on a 1/2 mile long beach and 11 acres of lush tropical gardens, you'll fill your sun-kissed days and starlit nights with unforgettable moments. All 72 rooms and suites offer magnificent, unobstructed views of the beautiful Caribbean Sea. Several included services will make your stay even more memorable, including daily afternoon tea, WiFi, fitness room, tennis courts, a freshwater pool, non-motorized water sports, swim with the turtles, a weekly manager's cocktail and garden tours. Indulge your senses with innovative Caribbean-inspired menus at 2 beachfront restaurants. In-room dining available 24-7. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, TravelUp, Fairmont Hotels, Booking.com, Orbitz, getaroom.com, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Hotwire, Cancelon, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly and TripOnline SA so you can book your Fairmont Royal Pavilion reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Fairmont Royal Pavilion Hotel Porters
- Fairmont Hotel Porters
- Fairmont Hotel Royal Pavilion
- Fairmont St. James
- Barbados Fairmont Hotel
- St. James Fairmont
- Fairmont Royal Pavilion Barbados/Saint James Parish