“You see any locals eating there?!?”

Oistin's Friday Night Fish Fry
Book In Advance
More Info
$70.00*
and up
Oistin's Fish Fry and The Barbados Rumshop Tour
Ranked #3 of 10 things to do in Oistins
Reviewed July 12, 2013

We went on 28th june and it was not exactly buzzing with tourists. Music and atmosphere was fun, but food was disappointing. Overpriced in comparison with equivalent local bajan food- $30 bajan dollars or more for average flying fish with sides, which costs around $12 at Grannys a 2 min walk away.

The outdoor restaurant was not a comfortable experience, packed canteen style on cheap plastic tables and chairs with other tourists. It had been raining too, so we were sitting on puddles with our sandals.

Not worth the hype, and you will understand it is just for tourista when you see no locals paying and eating there.

There are newer reviews for Oistin's Friday Night Fish Fry

Reviewed July 12, 2013

We left for Oistins at 7pm in a taxi in torrential rain which didnt really stop for most of the evening. Due to the weather we didnt get to look around all there was to offer and did have to queue for a while to get a seat undercover. Chose Pat's Place for food and the three of us had different dishes which were all excellent, can highly recommend the flying fish and king fish and the non fish eater loved the chicken. 3 meals and 3 beers each for $101 Bajan seemed pretty good to me. The atmosphere was lively and fun despite the rain but we headed back early on a Reggae bus which was in itself another unforgettable experience and a darn site cheaper than the taxi down.
Will return when its dry one day!

1  Thank Chrissywales_9again
Reviewed July 8, 2013

We weren't sure about going to the fish fry but everyone we met kept insisting. When we first walked in through a small opening in a fence there were chickens and roosters all over including in the small trees! Then a woman started dragging my husband into her bar to have a drink even though he kept insisting that we wanted to look around first. I'm glad we went with another couple from our resort otherwise I would have been even more scared than I was. After that it was a continuous struggle to get through without having menus shoved in our faces or people trying to get us to sit at a table in front of their stand. Finally, we decided to pick a place since they all looked like they offered almost the same exact items on their menus (which was disappointing). The food was sub-par. Too greasy for me and low quality. As we ate the music kept getting louder and by the end of our meal we were almost shouting to each other. It was very hot and uncomfortable too. At the end of our meal the waiter for our stand was seating people next to us at our picnic table which I felt was rude. I felt like the staff at the stand didn't pay much attention to their actual customers but rather to trying to recruit more to sit down and buy their food. After our meal we tried looking at some of the vendors selling various items but quickly saw that they also had nothing different than we hadn't already seen all around the island. All the items were too similar and led us to believe that they might not be handmade or as special as the vendors were trying to play them off as. We left very unsatisfied, sweaty, and smelling of fried food. I would NOT recommend this unless you like loud parties and cheap food!

3  Thank sheljowo
Reviewed July 6, 2013

Try it out! Worth spending the money on the lobsters! I had them before in the UK and I didn't like them. Here they were amazing!

1  Thank WorkAHolic248
Reviewed July 6, 2013

The 'Oisten's Experience' came highly recommended to us by other travelers staying at our hotel in Barbados.

Maybe I am missing something but the only experience I had was:

- Four guys trying to sell us weed within five minutes of walking into the place.

- One guy dragging my girlfriend and I to feed to turtles, which my girlfriend mistakenly thought was out of the kindness of his heart. He started in on a 'tipping' racket almost immediately and complained when he felt we didn't give him enough. We paid $10 and rationalized it by saying at least the turtles got to eat...

- Which is more than I can say for us...dirty food stalls and loud Jamaican dancehall music put us off of eating and we quickly left so as to avoid getting fleeced by any more scams. After reading the reviews here I think we made the right choice!

I guess it's an experience, like going the mall at Elephant and Castle is an 'experience' but I would personally skip it.