“World Cup Football”

Ranked #9 of 14 Restaurants in Dover
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night
Reviewed June 15, 2014

What a great atmosphere you spend time with friends at your favorite watering hole with loads of good beer, wen, rum, vodka or whatever you are drinking. Munchies as sweet potato fries are succulent and healthy plus the great Sirloin Steak is a winner or chose some pork ribs, calamari or your favorite appetizer, a great time was had by all.

1  Thank amado m

Reviewed June 9, 2014

We stayed at the Time Out hotel, room only. However, if you’re a guest, you would eat at the Sporting Pig. I have kept my reviews of the hotel and the Pig separate. The Pig is actually part of the hotel but is open to the public also. It’s a nice sports bar, clean, tidy, loads of memorabilia, such as England flags, football kits, team merchandise, complete with several screens for watching the sport.

The bar gets very busy with both tourists and locals alike when the big sports games are on; we were there for the final day of the Premier League and it was packed! It’s certainly the place to go on the gap for sport. It’s also worth visiting on a Tuesday night at 8PM for the weekly quiz. You can also sit out on the patio with a pint and watch the local basketball/football teams in the adjacent playing fields.

We ate here twice and the food was delicious. I’d really recommend the bacon wrapped hot dog and pizzas. They also serve loads of cocktails and have a happy hour between 5-6PM if my memory serves me correctly.

The service was OK but very slow at times. In the evenings, there were 2 barmen who were very friendly and gave us tips on where to go, what to see etc. But the other staff were very slow and didn’t look too bothered. It takes ages to get your bill for your food or drinks. One night they cleared our table then didn’t offer us anything else, just left us there; if we hadn’t asked for the bill we would have been there all night. I would think they’d want to turn the tables around for new customers, but the staff just didn’t seem that bothered. This was the same when we decided to pop-in for breakfast, we’d be given our menus then left alone for like 10minutes! Another time, after a day out, we decided to stop in for a few beers one afternoon, but there was no staff anywhere to be seen. I waited for 10 minutes then gave up and left. Don’t get me wrong, the staff were always polite, but the service was very slow and it would be nice to see them speed up and smile just a little bit!

Overall though the Sporting Pig is a good venue and it’s definitely worth visiting during your stay, especially if you’re an English football fan. Plus it’s only across the road from Dover Beach!

1  Thank Bawno
Reviewed May 18, 2014 via mobile

We went to the sporting pig on a Tuesday which is their quiz night which was fun, we thought we'd eat here too.
The food was ok. Me & my husband shared a selection of the bar snacks the potato wedges and rib ends were lovely but I did not enjoy their fishcakes. Two of our group had burgers, they said these were dry. Two others had a pizza which they said was ok. So all in all food was ok but when there are some great places to eat on the gap don't think we would return.

1  Thank becky3004
Reviewed May 15, 2014

Food was okay, service was fine. Prices are decent. I had the ribs and my girlfriend had penne Alfredo with chicken. Nothing worth noting here.

Reviewed April 23, 2014

This is a sporting pub, shows live games to be enjoyed by tourists and locals. Also a nice seating area outside opposite the playing field in the gap where you can watch football and cricket matches.

Good range of drinks and the burger is quite possibly the tastiest, more thickest burger I've ever had and it was only about ten pounds with two extra toppings. Took around 20 minutes for the burger and it was busy.

Would definitely go back....

1  Thank claireser