Dover Beach Hotel
$638
$421
Infinity on the Beach(Dover)(Great Value!)
$195
$127
Southern Palms(St. Lawrence Gap)(Great Value!)
$218
  • Pool
Divi Southwinds Beach Resort(Christ Church Parish)
$159
Time Out Hotel(St. Lawrence Gap)(Great Value!)
$172
$130
Rostrevor Hotel(St. Lawrence Gap)(Great Value!)
$123
South Gap Hotel(St. Lawrence Gap)(Great Value!)
$131
Monteray Apartment Hotel(Christ Church Parish)(Great Value!)
$101
$84
Ocean Two Resort & Residences(St. Lawrence Gap)(Great Value!)
$303
$182
All reviewsthe gapst lawrence gapgarden viewsun deckmain buildinghousekeeping staffbars and restaurantsrum punch partythe activities deskquiet areamin walkbasic hotelsmall fridgewithin easy walking distancelocation was perfectself cateringhotel is great
FilterAll languages
Reviewed February 18, 2014

Hotel situated in great location for exploring and getting about the island.Rooms could do with update but well equipped for our needs (self Catering) Superb beaches directly infront of hotel short walk to Oistens or the "Gap" with plenty of eating options.Reception friendly and helpful.Bar area not very welcoming.Poolside beds soon occupied not enough to go round.Would give it another visit.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 13, 2014

I have been working in Barbados for 3 months now. The company has as stay at this hotel, and I'm sorry to say the experience has been bad.

First the good news. The hotel is well located, near St Lawrence Gap, in front of the beach. Rooms are adequate. It has a swimming pool and a gym (I have never used it).

Now the bad:
1) Room changes. In 3 stays I have been moved around to 7 rooms, plus a change in hotel. They will make you switch rooms for any reason. It means packing everything and unpacking at the new place! I guess if you're on a short stay it won't happen, but beware.
2) Internet. The connection comes and goes, some days it doesn't work at all. Most rooms (remember I have been everywhere) don't even get a WiFi signal so I had to go to the lobby to try there. And good luck there trying to keep a connection for some time!
3) Hot water. There is a section of the building where the hot water is not working. two of my partners complained in December and by February the problem is still there. I haven't had a hot shower in more than a week, I even got a cold from using cold water in the morning.
4) Air conditioning. This is the only issue they solved, they made me change rooms to one that had a working unit (only time a change of rooms was reasonable).
5) Reservations. When I go back home and return to Barbados, I always have problems. Whether they didn't get my arrival date correctly, or they don't have a room with a kitchen available (I specially request this).
6) Hotel change. One ay they decided that they needed more rooms and made us change hotels! We had a reservation dating from a while back, and they never told us the hotel would be full on this day! They didn't even wanted to move our stuff, so we had to take it ourselves.
7) Handling of complains. I have been complaining about these problems to the hotel reception and to the manager. Every day I go there and explain that I don't have hot water, and that the internet is not working, etc. Every day they come up with a new creative response: "first time we heard" (I have been complaining every day, my partners also did it in the past, and from comments on this forum, many other people as well), "we'll tell maintenance immediately" (they never sent anyone), "the company is coming today to check the service", "it will be solved by Monday" (by Wednesday still no news), "it rained, so solar systems don't work" (they seem to work everywhere else), etc. I'm tired of them lying in my face and not doing nothing!

So my advice is to skip this hotel and find a place where they really value their customers!

Room Tip: If after my advice you still get there, avoid rooms on the front of the main building, these are the ones without hot water!
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
4  Thank Alejandro E
Reviewed February 11, 2014

We have been to Barbados 24 times and have stayed here the last five.
The location here, at the end of the "Gap" with its many good eating experiences, is superb. We step off the ocean-front deck (which is great for sunset watching) onto a half mile arc of white sand, cool to walk on at any hour, and enjoy the warm 23C Caribbean.
It's an older property, and therefor affordable. It is well maintained.The friendly staff help make this an ideal vacation spot.
We were with 13 friends and family, and all have re-booked it for our next winter getaway. We book early to get into the main building where the 2nd & 3rd floors have lovely views with ever present sounds of surf to soothe us.

Room Tip: .Book early to get in the main building.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Peter B
Reviewed February 7, 2014

This is our fifth visit to Barbados, and as we left it too late to book into our usual hotel, we thought we would try the Dover Beach Hotel. When we were arrived at the hotel, we were taken across the road to the `Flowers` block; a two-storey building removed from the main hotel, the restaurant, pool and access to the beach. The room was ok, but definitely needs some updating and TLC. We did have a `suite`, which included a separate sitting room, bedroom and kitchenette. The room was clean and our cleaning lady worked hard every day, washing floors and cleaning our dishes. The water pressure was poor and as I have thick hair I had trouble getting the shampoo rinsed out. One morning we didn`t have any hot water, but that was due to a broken pipe which the maintenance crew worked on and had fixed within a couple of hours. There isn`t a beach at the Dover Beach Hotel. The beach is accessed by a side gate from the property and you aren`t allowed to take beach loungers onto the beach from the Dover, which means you can`t actually sit on the beach unless you rent chairs from the resort next door. Most guests seem to sit around the pool or on the terrace. Not a lot of chairs there either, so get down early if you want to sunbathe. The big detractor from this hotel is the on-site restaurant. The restaurant staff were very slow, rude and full of attitude. We have eaten at all sorts of restaurants, rum shacks and bars across the island, but the service we experienced here was probably one of the worst anywhere. We ordered a flying fish sandwich, but it came as a triple decker. Just too much bread for me to eat, but the waitress was very rude and told me off for wasting food when I left some of the bread on the side of the plate. I wouldn`t have ordered it if I had known. We never went there again. Such a shame because it could be a great little place, it has lots of potential. The Flowers block is not in the best location. It is next door to the service entrance of Ocean2, a large upscale condo building. Lots of deliveries, arriving as early as 6am, so all sorts of noise. We were in Room 226, which is the closest room to Ocean 2. Avoid it if you are a light sleeper.

Room Tip: DO NOT stay in the Flowers block.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank barb4sixty
Reviewed February 2, 2014

We have just returned from what should of been a dream holiday to Barbados that turned in to a nightmare within 24 hrs of arriving. On our arrival we were shown to our room on the third floor by a security guard - very reassuring - and was offered no help with our bags at all. In fact, this guy never said one word from reception to our room even when asked a question or making a comment, he merely unlocked the door and walked away. We had just arrived so showered and left for the area known as 'The Gap'. it was roughly 5pm ( the time will become apparent later ).

The next morning we were up at 7 and NO HOT WATER. Enquired at front desk. They said maintenance don't arrive until 9am, so we both had a cold shower and went out. On our return at after 8pm - NO HOT WATER. Back down to front desk who let it slip that the hotel's water supply is supplied via solar power, which on the face of it appears to make common-sense, as its a hot country - but wait! That's OK, until its all been run off. In other words you can not have a shower when you want, but have to time it right. Well I'm sorry, no way. Hot water should be available when ever a guest wants it - period. So, in the morning, this meant taking a shower an hour or two after the sun came up but hoping nobody else had the same idea; and in the evening it meant taking one after late afternoon but before the evening - it was ridiculous. On the third day experiencing no hot water and now on our 5th complaint we decided enough was enough and coupled with what else was going on we felt a complaint to our holiday representative, in this case British Airways was in order.

Prior to that however we would like to tell you about our other experiences at this 'hotel'. The walls between the rooms are hopelessly thin. On our very first night we were subjected to being woken up by fellow guests with little or no respect for others. If on the other hand you quite like the idea of a free, audio sex show, then this place is for you as the couple next door treated us to two 3am shows, followed by the sound of urine hitting the water, coughing, sneezing and even flatulence - yes, that is how thin the walls are! Remember, this is advertised as a 'family hotel'! It goes on: The terrace is adjacent to the beach - this hotels only asset - and waiting at the foot of the steps was always a local or two wanting to sell you 'green' or 'white' (Cannabis or Cocaine). When we went on the beach and when we came off the beach we were relentlessly asked and frankly harassed. Safe on your balcony? No, we wasn't. We had an Island view which looked out on to the entrance of the complex - a dimly lit back alley in reality. Sat out there on a couple of occasions was like running the gauntlet. We were shouted up to and again asked if we wanted to get hold of any drugs. On declining we were called 'girls' and 'pussies'. I guess because we are quite young they knew who to ask and abuse. Anyone older who has stayed here might read this and contradict, but they wouldn't ask just anyone, they clearly pick their targets well.

We are not prudes, we are not easily offended, but we are easily hacked off when what should be a relaxing dream holiday is turned in to this accolade of misdemeanours.

Three times I had to contact British Airways Holidays help line before they finally called me back on our room phone. We wanted out of this place and that evening. We couldn't stomach another cold shower, or the feeling of local 'dealers' breathing down our necks. By this stage I was so angry I demanded to be put somewhere else. The only hotel that had availability, according to BA was the Hilton just up the road. We felt we had no choice despite it costing an additional £1,200. Leaving us with virtually no money for the remainder of our 10 night stay.

I am now doing what I can to recoup costs. After all, we only booked The Dover Beach Hotel on BAs recommendation.

STAY CLEAR OF THIS HOTEL. IT JUST ISN'T WORTH IT.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends