“Awesome Fun, Barry is a great instructor whose passion for surfing is infectious!”

Barry's Surf Barbados Surf School
Ranked #1 of 2 things to do in Dover
More attraction details
Owner description: Join us at Surf Barbados for our beginner / intermediate Surf adventure which will ensure you get the most out of your Surfing Vacation. This adventure is designed for people who would like to Learn to Surf or those who wish to simply improve their Surfing. You will be Surfing the best breaks Barbados has to offer with a professional Surf instructor that has years of local knowledge and experience. Our Surf School is setup for small groups so you can receive the necessary attention to make rapid progress throughout the week.
Useful Information: Lockers / storage, Bathroom facilities, Activities for young children, Activities for older children, Stroller parking
Dorset
Reviewed December 22, 2009

My Girlfriend and I had already decided that we were going to try surfing before we had arrived in Barbados. There are a few surf schools to choose from but our hotel recommended Surf Barbados so we decided to give them a go and booked a day of surfing..... and we are so glad we did.

We had a hire car so Barry offered to meet us at a Petrol Station near Surfers Point in Oistins and we followed him to Surfers Point. We spent about 15 minutes on the beach running through the basics before we went out in the surf. Barry was such a good instructor...very laid back and friendly. He had me and my girlfriend standing up within the first 30 minutes (me on my first wave, not that i'm bragging....much) and we enjoyed the 2 hour session so much we ended up booking 4 more days with him.

Over the next 4 days Barry continued with his same enthusiasm, he obviously really enjoyed what he did and made it seem like he had the best job in the world. He was very encouraging....on about the 3rd day he was teaching some other guys the basics on the beach while we headed off to try and catch some waves. When i did catch one he stopped his teaching to cheer me on...i'm pretty sure over the 5 days he never missed a wave i caught and cheered me on for everyone of them!exactly what you need when you are learning.

His instruction was good...he would let you know what you could do better and had me picking my own waves, catching them and then turning on them in no time. He didn't spend his time watching the clock to make sure we didn't over-run. In fact most days we over ran by at least 15 minutes.

We enjoyed Surfing with Barry so much....it was definitely the highlight of our 2 week holiday I really can't say enough good things about him.

If you are looking for something to do while you're in Barbados I would thoroughly recommend trying surfing and I would 100% recommend going with Surf Barbados and i guarantee you will enjoy it.

Alex

• Finnish first
Montreal, Quebec
“Just got back from another great trip with Surf Barbados!”
Reviewed December 2, 2009

Every time I am in Barbados, I take surf lessons with Surf Barbados. Barry’s positive energy and love for surfing is infectious and Christie is well-organized and accommodating. When I started, I had never even been on a surfboard and now, not only can I stand up, I can pick a wave, pivot on the board, paddle and catch the wave all on my own. My progress is due to Barry’s teaching style; he is super patient and supportive and always as excited as I am for every accomplishment. Barry is full of information, about surfing and about Barbados, and importantly, I always feel safe in the water with him. I have also surfed with James, and despite looking young, he is also very knowledgeable and a lot of fun!

Dochester, Dorset
“My first attempt at surfing-and after 2 hours I was hooked!!!”
Reviewed November 26, 2009

My first attempt at surfing-and after 2 hours i was absolutely hooked!! Barry was a really great instructor, very patient and encouraging (he cheered every time i stood up!!). He is very knowledgable and extremely talented but his relaxed teaching style (1,2,3) is very effective! I wasnt expecting to be any good but he had me standing up on my 2nd wave!! And that is saying something!! The whole experience was amazing, it really made our holiday special and after being back in the UK for less than a week, we are already trying to book another fortnight in Barbados-and of course, more lessons with Barry!!! A huge THANK YOU -and we will see you in 2010!!

New Jersey
“If you are going to surf Barbados this school and guide Barry is must he is extremely friendly and knowledgeable.”
Reviewed November 3, 2009

Hey, Barry I just wanted to thank you for the great surf trip that you took me on to soup bowls. I felt very comfortable with your friendliness and very experienced knowledgde in addition to your praise after getting some great waves. My wife and I will be back within the next year or two and I will definietly book some more trips with you. I cannot wait to go back.You seem to have a top notch business and knowledge of the spots and you made me feel very comfortable with your experience and knowledge. Your friend Luke , New jersey

London, UK
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Best way to surf in Barbados”
Reviewed October 7, 2009

I really wanted to learn to surf whilst in Barbados and had never done it before. I found Barry's website before going and contacted him to find out what he offered and how it would work, as I had loads of other trips planned, too. Barry's wife Christie replied and said no problem as they were really flexible and I should phone when I got there to fix a date. Easy.

I called Barry and fixed a day he thought would have good waves. He picked me up from the hotel in the surf Barbados van and we went to the first bay. Straight away you could tell he knew what he was doing and had a real passion for surfing and teaching, which was great.

After 15 minutes 'on beach' instruction (it's all about the 1-2-3 technique!) we headed out into the water to get me comfortable with the board. Then, he talked me through what would happen and off I went...standing up on my first wave! 1 to 1 tuition was ideal and he was an awesome teacher (even if him doing headstands whilst on a wave made me fall off laughing).

I booked another few lessons when I wanted and made really good progress. Definitely a trip highlight and something to do once (although you'll probably be back again!).

Thanks Barry and hope the competitions go well. Matt.