“Staff make this the best hotel in the Caribbean!”

Turtle Beach by Elegant Hotels
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Dover
Yeovil, United Kingdom
“Staff make this the best hotel in the Caribbean!”
Reviewed July 20, 2014

Just back from spending 10 nights in this hotel - I've stayed in 6 or 7 four and five star hotels in the Caribbean and the staff at this hotel leave the competition trailing. Every single member was polite, cheerful and, quite unusually for the Caribbean, speedy with requests. I stayed at the sister hotel Crystal Cove 6 months ago and didn't get nearly the same feel good factor.

The kids club was absolutely excellent and great that you could pop in and out. Staff were motivated and very hands on - again a rarity in some kids clubs ,

The pools were fab - I couldn't swim at all in Crystal Cove's pools because the water was too cold, but here at Turtle Beach, it was perfect. The sea was gorgeously warm and I'm not sure why people comment on the roughness - you only have to do the tiniest research about the island to know that the south west coast hotels all have rough seas.

My teenage son, for whom non stop carbohydrates are pretty essential, was in heaven with the help-your-self all day pizzas and hot dogs - as well as the huge buffets 3 times a day - spot-on Turtle Beach!

We had a garden view suite which was great for a family of four, a bedroom with a separate door for the adults, a bathroom and dressing area in the middle, and a sitting room turned into a bedroom (sofa bed for the teenager, full sized single for the 7year old). Air conditioning worked brilliantly as well.

All in all, it was a fantastic trip and I can't wait to go back. The staff made it easy and impossible to mention anyone by name as everyone from front desk, concierge, housekeeping, water sports, kids club to restaurants needs a clap on the back. Hillary, Mr Smith and Rodney in the restaurant just get the edge for me!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
4 Thank 285Belle

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (689)
Bawtry, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 19, 2014

This hotel was sold to us as 4 star by Virgin and also on here. In our personal opinions it's not a 4 star hotel but does have some elements that are.

Kids Club is excellent - open 9am to 9pm with a 1 hour closure. It offers a safe environment, with friendly staff, the ratio of staff to kids was high. Movies and ice cream, cookies etc most nights. Plenty of variety. Our daughter had a fab time. You don't have to book and can dip in and out to suit.

Pools also excellent for kids, there are three and a whirl pool. None too deep.

Food was good and varied but not great all the time. A lot of food is flavoured or spicy. Kids food is chips, pizza, nuggets so not great. Needed more plain meat and veg for kids. We were happy with the choice.

Rooms are average, clean but basic - also looking a bit tired.

95% of staff are excellent!

Beach is gorgeous, small but perfectly formed. Worth noting how choppy it is so not ideal for little ones.

The spa treatments are reasonably priced and good quality I had a pedicure and manicure. But, the rooms used are very tired, dated and equipment not the standard you'd expect for a four star hotel. Also, seemed to be a meeting place for local ladies to chat, not ideal if you want a relaxing treatment.

We came July 2014, it is worth noting there is extensive building work next door (Sandals resort being built). The noise from pneumatic drills is horrendous in some parts of the hotel. This is not the hotels fault but you can hear when at breakfast and from our balcony. We moved rooms at cost to ourselves to avoid this.

We have had a good holiday but given the cost of this holiday and our 4 star expectations this hotel disappoints in some areas. Parts of the hotel are tired and needs refurbishing.

I hope this helps you make and informed decision.

Room Tip: Loud due to building work next door. Request a sea view to avoid this or come when work is complete...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
7 Thank Sam131073
Reviewed July 18, 2014 via mobile

My family and I had been to Turtle Beach about 12 years ago when my sister and I were young, and from what I remember we'd had a lovely time.

Before going back after so many years, we were slightly worried things might have changed and we would be disappointed, but this definitely wasn't the case as it was even better than we imagined!

The atmosphere is relaxing, the staff are all friendly and helpful and the hotel itself is fantastic with new, very clean facilities, two lovely pools and a gorgeous beach just footsteps away. We also loved sampling some of the local food at their different themed buffets at Chelonia and at the Waterfront restaurant.

In terms of location, it's very close to the airport so the transfer is very quick, but you don't get the noise from the airport that you might expect. It's also close to some shops and bars if you'd like to have a wander out and explore.

Dover Beach is just a two minute walk away and is great for surfing - my dad, brother-in-law and I all surf and had a fantastic time with Barry's Surf School on Dover Beach, and they also took us out on some trips to Freights where we found incredible, clean waves. If you're a surfer, I highly recommend them!!!

Overall, my stay at Turtle Beach was one of my absolute favourites - I'm already planning when I can go back!

• Stayed June 2014
1 Thank Charlotte H
Reviewed July 18, 2014

Beautiful friendly people who couldn't do enough for you. Great for couples. We were on our anniversary and so it was lovely and relaxing except they were building sandals resort next door which was noisy. We were moved to an upgrade junior deluxe ocean view suite which I recommend. Very humid but there thankfully was a breeze.

• Stayed June 2014
Reviewed July 18, 2014 via mobile

Came here for a 5 night stay before me and my boyfriend flew to Saint Vincent. The resort was lovely, and food was a good standard for an all inclusive! I loved the restaurant near the beach, that was defiantly my favourite! The Italian was nice but very very very hot! Maybe this is be because it's up high and no air con? The entertainment each night was good, loved the four ladies who sung they were excellent! The sea is rough but this doesn't bother me or my partner as I'm not too keen on being in the sea! It is very blue and beautiful! We had nice walks everyday down the beach! Pool areas are quite small and I would of loved a swim up pool bar but that's just me being fussy and lazy in the sun :) overall it is a lovely hotel with some lovely staff! Would I return, yes!!!! :) thank you turtle beach!!

Stayed June 2014
1 Thank Chloeee8
Reviewed July 15, 2014

We stayed 5 nights at Turtle Beach and miss it very much. We had an amazing stay.

Room: The room was spacious although the bed was a little too soft for our liking and the shower leaked but after a complaint they patched the leak and fixed the problem asap

Food: The food is as you would expect for an all-inclusive. The chef Carl was amazing and accommodated to our special needs though. The Barbados night was wonderful, especially the selection of drinks. Asiagos service was very slow and one night took us 2 hours to finish

Entertainment: The entertainment was rather bland overall although the singers were rather good

Service: We have been to 3 other resorts but this one has the best service by far and made our vacation! They always were checking up to see if we were okay or needed anything

Beach/Pool: The breeze always keeps you cool so you never get hot. The beach was rough but we made the best of it. We strongly recommend the sister resort Crystal Cove for a day for the water sports because the beach is so calm. The pool was spacious and not too crowded

Activities: Saint Lawrence Gap was a disappointment only 5 minutes walk away. It seemed rather run down. We went to the other side of the island for a tour and saw the more developed side which was better. Bridgetown was nice as well and we tried zip lining which was a blast. Also try the local white van to get a taste of the island with the blasting reggae musing and the quick transportation, it is much cheaper too

We strongly recommend turtle beach for a nice family vacation and the wonderful service

Room Tip: We had Room 428 on the 4th floor with a good view of the ocean and everything. If you want a good vi...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
4 Thank Riyadh A
TracessYarde, Guest Relations Manager at Turtle Beach by Elegant Hotels, responded to this review, July 19, 2014
Dear 'Riyadh A',

We wish to thank you for taking the time to write this lovely review about your recent stay at Turtle Beach Resort. We truly appreciate the wonderful comments about the room, food, drinks, pools and the service. We are thrilled that you loved our beautiful island and had the opportunity to experience most things that it had to offer

We sincerely apologize for the maintenance issues you experienced, and for the other areas where we did not meet your expectations. We assure you that we will continue to use guest feedback to improve our service quality as we aim to ensure all guests leave satisfied.

We look forward to welcoming you once more to Turtle Beach Resort where our warm Barbadian hospitality awaits you.

Yours Sincerely,

Tracess Yarde
Plymouth
Reviewed July 15, 2014

Myself and my partner visited this hotel in June, It was not what we had expected but still a beautiful, airy hotel. The staff were very friendly throughout our stay and everything was clean and tidy.

The entertainment was good, however we felt there wasn't much of a variety, mainly singers or bands. Where as we are use to a variety from other hotels we have visited. We did find ourselves having little to do once the entertainment had finished usually around 11 pm.

We were celebrating our anniversary and were informed by Elegant Hotel we would have a surprise in the hotel room, which we never received, this was a little disappointing.

Food was amazing, lots of choice and yes there is the average British food there but lots of Caribbean influenced foods, Oriental foods available (depending on the day there are different themed foods.)

Overall though this hotel is lovely, beautiful beach (although the sea is rough, being North Atlantic side), Stunning food and the staff were very welcoming. I would definitely recommend this hotel to a friend.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank 88susieQ
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dover
Ocean Two Resort & Residences
#10 of 51 in Christ Church Parish
Sandals Barbados
Sandals Barbados
#4 of 8 in St. Lawrence Gap

Been to Turtle Beach by Elegant Hotels? Share your experiences!