“Chilled out hotel”

Turtle Beach by Elegant Hotels
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Dover
Reviewed June 7, 2014

We stayed at TB during May and found the hotel to be very relaxed. The food was good and on some night great.

We had an issue with the noise from the construction work at Sandals next door. I spoke with reception and they moved us wihtin 2 hours to a room on the other side of the resort

All the staff were very friendly although i did find "Captain Sam" to be a little frosty at times.

We were very happy staying here and would recommend everyone.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Turtle Beach by Elegant Hotels

Reviewed June 5, 2014 via mobile

This was my 4th visit to turtle beach and I will try to go back for a 5th as soon as possible! My mother and I regularly come to barbados for a girls holiday and always receive such a warm welcome along with feeling safe and well cared for which for two ladies travelling together is a huge plus.

On arrival, we were upgraded from an ocean view to an ocean front room which was breathtaking. The hotel has undergone a full refurb since our last visit and it is has been done beautifully. The rooms are decorated well and the amenities are well cared for, you will want for nothing. The food has improved immensely and the variety and quality of each meal was excellent, our favourite being the Italian. All evening meals were al a carte which was I feel is a huge plus.

The beach looks like a post card but I do agree that being on the south coast and along the Atlantic side, it does make swimming in the sea a little hairy! I would be very careful with small children but the two pools are a perfect substitute.

I have stayed at crystal cove previously and prefer TB. The overall feel of the hotel, the staff and the setting is something we feel you cannot beat in barbados. I think the biggest reason we enjoy the setting of the hotel so much is the ability to walk out into The Gap and have a few shops, bars and restaurants that have a local feel.

The staff truly do make this hotel, in particular Sherral (excuse the spelling!) in the Chelonia restaurant. She has been there since our very first visit and every time, her beautiful smile and warm welcome make us feel like we have come home.

5 stars all round!

Stayed: March 2014
3  Thank vic1721
Reviewed June 5, 2014

I have just returned from a week at the Turtle beach hotel in Barbados and I cannot praise it highly enough. I was there for my daughter's wedding which they arranged with such care and eye for detail it was just wonderful. All the staff were extremely helpful and polite and nothing was too much trouble for them. The food was excellent with a choice of buffet or a la carte every night and unlike some "all inclusive" buffets it was actually themed and different every night for example Mediterranean or Asian or international. It was always beautifully presented and delicious at breakfast, lunch and dinner. They also served little sandwiches, cake and tea/coffee around 4:30. Very English I thought. During and after dinner there was always wonderful entertainment on the forecourt in front of the dining area in the form of excellent singers etc. There is a choice of dining areas and the waterfront area is beautiful. A relaxing meal watching the sun set over the beautiful white sand. Paradise! Although it is a family hotel it is still very peaceful and even the renovations to the Sandal Hotel next door didn't bother us. Most of the time the only sound is the crashing of the waves on to the amazing white sand. There are water sports available included in the price and a change of beach towels every day. Although the water is a little choppy for swimming it's ideal for body boarding or kyaking or just paddling in the warm shallows. (You can get a day pass to their sister hotel at Crystal Cove on the west coast where the sea is very calm and ideal for swimming.) There are 2 large pools at the Turtle Beach plus a smaller one for little children and also a wonderful hot tub Jacuzzi.
The bedrooms are spacious and extremely comfortable with fantastic views of the beach and beautiful gardens and the friendly staff come in to clean them everyday.
The staff on reception are really helpful and can sort out most things for you with a smile but most of the activities or tours or car hire etc are arranged for you at the activity room near the pools. There's an internet room too which is handy for printing off your boarding pass but there's also free internet all around the hotel.
as you've guessed by now I absolutely loved my stay at the Turtle Beach resort and will certainly be making a return visit. I'll post later about some of the trips we went on all over the island.

Room Tip: All the rooms have lovely views so you won't be disappointed. None of them are back facing. High...
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
7  Thank Kathryn S
Reviewed June 4, 2014

We stayed at Turtle Beach Resort for a bachelor party and i can say that i was not disappointed.
The staff were tremendously friendly and helpful from the moment that we checked in. The rooms were clean and spacious, food was excellent, there was never a moment where our needs were not catered to. There is wi-fi throughout the hotel and even on the beach

Finally, in terms of the night life, the hotel is a short walk from St Lawrence Gap which has the different night clubs and bars, and you can always get a taxi to Bridgetown.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends
3  Thank Kassim E
Reviewed June 3, 2014 via mobile

My fiancé and I visited turtle beach from May 29th-June 2nd and were excited to arrive to this hotel since the reviews seemed very favorable. However as soon as we arrived things just didn't seem right. We arrived to the smell of feces throughout the hotel, another couple arrived with us and we were taken aback but didn't think much of it. We were checked in and taken to the buffet lunch since we arrived before check in. The buffet is extremely limited and the rules to the hotel are almost impossible to keep up with. Unlike all other all inclusive hotels, in this hotel you must be seated by their staff before you can go to the buffet to get your own food. This process makes no sense and they don't let you know this in advance either. The only way we were informed of this was when a waitress from the buffet came over to our table and very nastily told us we must be seated before eating we cannot seat ourselves. Mind you, very rarely is there anyone available when you walk into the restaurant/buffet area to seat you but if any of the British visitors do this nothing is done and they get the same service. I can't say the same was ever done for us. There is a clear difference in the way the British are treated in this hotel and how Americans (of Caribbean ancestry) are treated in this hotel and island.

On our second day there, after a wonderful couples massage we were walking the beach looking for an area to sit in. We had one of the men from the towel bar/water sports blow his whistle at us and ask where were we staying as he assumed we were locals trying to get on the hotel beach. He then went on to tell us they were in charge of the chairs and we were not allowed to move them. Yet all the British tourists or anyone who wasn't of color was allowed to move the lounge chairs where they wanted and no whistle blowing towards them.

After this encounter on the beach we decided to forget the beach and go to St. Lawrence Gap for some souvenirs. As we left the hotel we encountered a man selling coconuts rather aggressively. He asked if we wanted coconuts and we said no thank you. The mans response was thank you for what?!A block after this a group of men were playing dominoes in the street which is fine with me because this is common practice in the islands we are both from. As we walk past them they begin to catcall and scream out brown skin, brown skin to get my attention. On our way back from getting the miserable souvenirs we were able to get they call to my fiancé and say "American boy, your girl is pretty." Being from the islands I found this terribly disrespectful since neither of us have experienced anything like this in the Caribbean especially since we both have family in the islands and know this is not something that is common practice especially towards tourists.

On our third night there I had sore throat due to the mold in the room we were given. The air conditioner stopped working that night and we were told to leave the balcony doors open because no one could fix the air conditioner since it is attached to a sensor that monitors when the air conditioning should turn on to save energy. So for two straight nights we slept with no air conditioner as we were not able to be accommodated because the hotel was sold out no one knew how to fix the air conditioner. Throughout this entire experience my fiancé had food poisoning from the already limited food options and I was dealing with dermatitis due to an allergic reaction to sun tan lotion. Everything that could go wrong did go wrong on this vacation.

This hotel is old and dirty, I would not stay here if I was paid to come back to this hotel. These were the longest 5 days and 4 nights of my life. I could not get off of that island and out of that hotel fast enough!

Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
8  Thank Miriv1005
Reviewed June 3, 2014

After traveling to top notch all-inclusive resorts, I expected the same of Turtle Beach in Barbados. The place is significantly smaller that the photos available on the website and the beach is not very spacious. I did not expect that any one of the three restaurants would be closed at any given time, and reservations were required for any non-buffet style restaurant. The staff was relatively friendly (some much more so than others), and the facilities were kept extremely clean. Overall, this place was ok; it's probably a better bet to just stay in a less expensive hotel and dine and hang with the locals. Hope this helps

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
4  Thank tiphanee
Reviewed June 2, 2014

Unlike what some other reviewers said, we did have drinks delivered to us on the beach - and also some ice cream bars. Not each day, but it did happen. It's a long flight from NYC, but so nice once we got there the travel was soon forgotten. The air conditioning never did really "cool" the room as we Americans like it to be, and we figured out that the ceiling fan was blowing in the wrong direction (up, to bring hot air down) so we flicked the switch ourselves and felt almost immediate relief. By making sure the closet doors and the bathroom door and the porch doors were closed at night, we were able to cool our room the most. We like that while the grounds taken care of, it is not overly manicured with too much uplighting at night.Discovering many small orange crabs in the leaves along the paths about 4 pm was an adventure and then watching the sand crabs about 7pm on the beach was fun. We were in the ocean a few times--it is a smidgeon rough but beautiful to gaze at from the beach chairs. Enjoyed watching beach staff boogieboard, jetski, and windsurf - they are so good it is like a show. We used boogie boards but did not attempt other water sports. Unlike some other all inclusives, drinks were not skimpy on the alcohol. We enjoyed trying the many cocktails before settling on our favorites (Bajan Pride and Googley). Be sure to arrange your reservation @ Asiago's as it becomes difficult to do so with the rules (24 hrs in advance, it is closed one night, etc.) although there were PLENTY of seats for the night we finally got. Meals and teatime were OK but not great. Most of the food seemed salty, but perhaps that is a subtle way to keep guests from dehydrating. Room was spacious and clean. Evening entertainment was minimal. This place is all about the views, the balmy carribbean breeze, lounging about the pools and beach, and dipping into the hot tub periodicaly. The spa is convenient. I had the sugar scrub upon arrival, adult daughter had a great massage the next day. All staff is courteous and will accomodate requests. There were couples, young families, and a mixture of other guests, like us, friends or mother/daughter, etc. Not so many children that we felt bombarded by them, not so many swooning couples that we felt uncomfortable. There is a small store that we did not discover until the day we were leaving (and would have bought there if we'd known upon arrival). Beware of easy sunburning; everyone, including the most tanned, seemed bright pink. One bartender told me that sunscreen must be applied more often than one thinks as the breezes carry away the sunscreen that has melted with perspiration. Sitting in the shade except when actually in the pool, the ocean, or walking the ocean is advised. We took what we thought were the utmost precautions and still ended up being burnt. $20 USD covers taxi plus tip to or from the airport. Sandals is under construction right next door, so I guess that the long beach we walked will someday be filled with Sandals guests. But our own private beach was perfect with smooth white sand.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends
8  Thank netherholt
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dover
Ocean Two Resort & Residences
#6 of 26 in Saint James Parish
Bougainvillea Beach Resort
Bougainvillea Beach Resort
#11 of 51 in Christ Church Parish

Been to Turtle Beach by Elegant Hotels? Share your experiences!