“Great Stay!!! The location was absolutely gorgeous”

Turtle Beach by Elegant Hotels
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Dover
Reviewed August 31, 2013

Well, can I just say, our one week holiday was just perfect!! Barbados is a magnificent island, and the people are ever so kind!!! Thank you for such a warm welcome!! We were travelling as a family: my mum, little brother (12) and myself (16)

Now for the hotel:

We were in the all inclusive package...definitely recommended!!!!! Everything was free (even the room service) except maybe for the spa, but it was nice to have breakfast, lunch, tea and dinner included in the room price, as well as the water sport activities. It is definitely a must!!!

The beach...is beautiful. Turquoise waters (with the occasional peep of a turtle's head - we saw three whilst on the beach), white sand, great beach chairs (really comfy) and the beach itself is quite big. The problem though, was the wind. The locals said that the wind (25 miles per hour -30 miles per hour) was pretty unusual. However, it made the sea pretty rough, meaning the red flag was up and we could not swim. Very taunting to see such beautiful waters (the waves were huge) and not being able to go for a swim. Despite the wind, the south coast seas are usually pretty rough....Overall, it was quite fun during the first few days (the strength of the waves is great for blood circulation!!!!) but eventually, after visiting the west coast, we were longing for a nice calm sea for snorkeling. The location was still beautiful though, and it was impossible to stop gazing out at the horizon.....the waters were always turquoise....whatever the weather. So if you like tonic waters, with never a boring moment...then this is the place for you!!

This leads us to the rooms. I would definitely recommend an ocean front room, or at least a sea view. Every morning, you would wake up with the sea write in front of you, with the crashing sound of the waves, and night, you would hear only the sound of the water. I highly suggest a room from the second floor up -too noisy on the ground floor as they are only a few meters away from the waterfront restaurant or the pools. The room itself is charming, white walls with turquoise and white beds - very harmonious. The tv was not too bad, a flat screen but with mediocre quality images and only a few channels. However, you don't go to a paradise like Barbados for watching tv :)
So, it wasn't a problem!! The bathrooms...well, they're very basic, small bath/shower facilities , large mirror and wide sink area to put all your aftersun lotions (your ARE going to need them-and SUNSCREEN with a HIGH SPF too!!) toothbrushes and skin creams :D However we had a little problem with the shower, it was immobile and fixed to the wall….try washing your skin, incrusted grains of sand and salt when you have to limbo to wash every part of your body. Also, to stop the water from escaping the bathtub whilst showering, a glass window (mobile) is provided, instead of a curtain…let's just say, the flooding of the bathroom was in no way prevented.

The lighting is great, no dark areas in the room....so overall, the rooms are perfect for a relaxing holiday by the beach. Just one tiny little thing (might not be important for you guys so don;t worry about it...but to be honest, i would've liked to have a bathrobe, amongst the towels. It's just more comfortable to relax after a shower on the balcony for example, wearing a bathrobe, than trying to keep your towel up)

Th restaurants...well, there are three: The Chelonia (for Breakfast, starts at 7:30am), tea and dinner (occasionally lunch, on Sundays only I think), the Waterfront Restaurant (mainly for lunch and dinner, but there breakfast was open on the sunday we left...so I suppose it's only for Sundays as well) and the Asiagos, an italian restaurant (diner only). The Chelonia is very good, but i wouldn't recommend the buffet nights...the asian buffet was...well, it was not up to their usual standards. You need FORMAL dresswear for dining at the Chelonia and Asiagos, so pack at least a dress/chic sandals for the women and shirts (collared) for the guys (and a pair of shoes other than trainers/sneakers). For Asiagos...there was a lot of fuss about it, but the food was not mind-blowing (and no children under the age of twelve are authorised). Waterfront was good (hmmmm the chicken wraps for lunch...they were soooo good!!!) and informal, so don't worry about the no-short bit ;)

Also (my mouth waters just at the thought of it) we could get ILLIMITED FRESH FRUIT SMOOTHIES (or pina colada/mojitos, etc if your are over 18). Passionfruit smoothie, fruit punch, pineapple juice or smoothie...whatever you wanted, it could be a wild mix, they'd get it for you, always with a smile.This was one of the best features of the hotel! If you go to Turtle Beach, be sure to try those delicious smoothies!

The pool...there are 3 pools. 1 pool for the children and 2 relatively large ones. They were just great. Inflatable crocodiles, tyres, mattresses and balls were at the disposal of the guests.

The spa.....I didn't try it, but on my first day, I fell asleep at 9:00 am (with sunscreen) on one of the inflatable mattresses, calmly floating about the pool. Waking up one hour later, i seemed a little tanned, but nothing very major, definitely no sunburns. I therefore kept to the shade, after having been exposed during that small period. By midday, i was becoming seriously red...on my front, from head to toes. At 3:00pm, the pain was unbearable, so my mum took me to the spa, where an adorable little woman named Camilla covered up my burns in a cream containing Aloe Vera. The next day, i no longer looked like at red traffic light. I had a little problem with a product we bought at the shop (Hawaiian tropic, spf 80) causing an allergic reaction on my already burnt skin. So Camilla came up to my room every 2 hours or so, to cream me up and cover me with cool wet towels. My skin was so damaged that it was painful to stretch my arms. But, through the day, my skin started to regain it's former colour. And by nigh time, it was almost gone, with only a few blotches of red remaining on my face,bust and shoulders. I therefore could enjoy the catamaran and swimming with the turtles the very next day (which i would definitely recommend!!!). A big thank you to Camilla!! But she was just one amongst many many of the kindest people ever !!!! Be it the staff at the swimming pool or at the captain sam watersports activity hut, or at the hotel entrance….

That's about it....overall a fantastic holiday!! We re definitely planning to return to Barbados....maybe on the West coast this time, to discover another part of the island, but if we do decide to return to the south past...then Turtle Beach it is! We wanted to try her twin, the all-inclusive Crystal Cove, on the west coast.

I Hope you have a great stay in Barbados!!!

Room Tip: -definitely sea view or ocean view -rooms on the higher floors are quieter
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Alice P
Write a ReviewReviews (2,766)

Reviewed August 31, 2013 via mobile

Visited with a family group of 8 which included children young children and a baby. The welcome was very nice with choices of rum or fruit punch. We we soon on our way to our rooms which were nice and comfortable. We had no difficulty traveling with our stroller, as there are elevators and lots of pathways on the property without stairs. There are 2 adult pools, 1 kid's pool and a nice heated jacuzzi, so there was an option for everyone. We did all buffets during our short stay to give the children more options to choose from. This was not too bad. The ocean is not conducive to water sports, which are very limited. The rooms were cleaned daily and spacious. The half door on the shower does allow water to get on the floor, which is not really convenient. The atmosphere was very relaxing and the staff were always helpful. Jillian offered us late departures (which are based on availability), and this was extremely appreciated,and helpful especially with the children. The Kid's Club was also nice, offering plenty indoor and outdoor activities. The hotel is also located very close to some very nice night clubs. We had a wonderful and very relaxing time there, and just can't wait to go back.

• Stayed: August 2013
2  Thank Travelwolf75
Reviewed August 30, 2013

A little disappointed with this hotel for a number of reasons.

The staff were however great - escpecially watersports and staff in the Waterfront resaurant. The room felt a bit tired and could have done with a re-furb. There was a distict smell (air con dripped constantly and the cusions on the sofa were stained - we shoved them out on the balcony). Bed was very hard too! Before leaving home we havd submitted the request form on-line asking for a quiet room - we didnt get one - and our young children were kept awake by the evening entertainment every night (which was unnecessarily loud). The pools were ok - a bit murky and one of my children did pick up an ear infection. Agree with other reviews about the reserving of sun-beds and if we went to the pool in the afternoon there were no available.

We had the same views as many reviews here about other guests (sun beds and ' the wedding party' and understand that although the hotel management can't choose who stays at their hotel, it did take the shine off other guest's holiday whe you are constantly conscious of small children hearing bad language and being hit by a rugby ball in the pool.

Food was generally good - although we ate mostly in Waterfront as we got fed up with the pushing and queuing at buffets.

The day before we left we woke up in the morning to find a cockroach on the floor. We reported it to reception and they said they would spray the room. My husband also saw cockroaches in the Waterfront restaurant as well. Appreciate this isn't uncommon and I have come across cockrcoaches before - but was pretty glad to be checking out the next day!

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from entertainment noise!
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed August 30, 2013

My experience began the day before I arrived. I had a wedding to attend on the day of my arrival so I needed to make sure that my room was ready before the check-in time. I called the resort and spoke with the staff and they made sure that I didn't have any problems. When I arrived, Jillian (staff) knew my name already and greeted me by my name. Then Tara (staff) came out and introduced herself as well. I spoke with these 2 ladies the day before my arrival. By the way, my room was ready. My dress wouldn't zip up so the ladies at the front desk took me in the back and fixed my problem.
I had a great experience here! The rooms were clean and all of the staff were so friendly. To name a few....Nigel, Hermanius, Tara, Jillian, and Cherise from the dining room. You guys made my stay wonderful and if you read this, my husband and I would like to say thank you :-). The food was good and I never went hungry. The food and ambiance at Asiago's was great and so was the Waterfront restaurant. I travel often and I must say that this was one of the friendliest resorts ever. My room was on the 1st floor (bigger patios) and it rained a lot. On my last night when I got back to my room from dinner, I found a huge water bug in the bathroom. I freaked out because I'm afraid of them. I screamed for my husband to kill it and he did. I was ready to go at that point lol. Guess what??? It rained a lot and water attracts them and my room was on the 1st floor. It happens (I can say that now because I'm home safe away from the waterbug lol). This has nothing to do with the cleanliness of the resort. I probably would just never stay on the 1st floor again. I would definitely go back!

Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank kimberly S
Reviewed August 29, 2013

We have just returned from 10 days at this hotel and mostly had a great time. I will go through major points seperately.

Rooms - We had originally booked a normal suite for ourselves and our 2 children (14 & 12) as the brochure described the room as suitable for 2 adults and 2 children. On ready other posts on this forum I emailed the hotel to check that my 2 children would fit on the sofa bed only to be told it was only suitable for 2 small children. So we paid the extra and moved to a 1 bedroomed suite with the sofa bed in the lounge + an extra single bed which worked out fine. The brochure should be changed to reflect the fact that the sofa bed is only suitable for small children. Going back through posts on the forum this has been a regular comment for years. My only other criticism of the room was a lack of other seating. There is only 1 other chair in the lounge so even with the sofa bed put back up into a settee there isnt enough seating for 4 people although there is plenty of room. The hotel couldnt provide any more seats as they were fully occupied although they did provide 2 more chairs for the balcony when asked. Lovely kingsize bed in the bedroom but I have never had such a set of lumpy pillows! Even when they were changed they were only slightly better.

Food - having been to the Caribbean before I knew what to expect, beef stew, macaroni pie and fried fish with everything and then a mixture of other things. Not to my liking but my husband was fine and there was burgers etc at lunch time which suited the kids.

Pools - I wasnt happy in the pools. There was a large boistrous wedding party at TB at the same time and they monopolised the main pool and most of the sun loungers every day with very boistrious behaviour and inappropriate language which drove everyone else over to the other smaller pool which then became too busy to relax in. The sun loungers get 'reserved' by towels at about 6am and then sometimes not used which was very frustrating. It seemed that people were reserving themselves loungers at the pool and on the beach - it was very annoying. Also being August there were a lot of children there and the pools and areas around quickly got dirty with spilt drink, food etc and although i did now and again see a member of staff cleaning aroung the pools during the day I think this should be done more often. Also some of the children needed more supervision than they were getting and were getting too boisterious and rough so after a few days we mainly used the beach area.

Beach - Lovely sand and 'bouncy'; waves made for good fun. Not suitable for toddlers. Usually enough sun loungers but on at least 2 days we couldnt get a lounger although there were plenty unused but they were 'reserved'. Frustrating for us and for Captain Sam's staff who tired their hardest to find you a lounger.

Service - Lovely staff, but sometimes maybe too polite as if they were coached - sometimes said 'your welcome' at inappropriate times and too often! Great daily cleaning of the room and your room towels could be changed in the evening as well if needed.

Would I go back? probably. My only complaints would have to be about other guests and their behaviour and their childrens behaviour which sometimes spoilt an otherwise lovely holiday but this is going to happen where ever you go - not TB's fault although a wedding party of approx 30 is always going to affect other guests eg keeping the majority of the hotel awake until 4am on the night of the wedding!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Katrina P
Reviewed August 27, 2013

We came to this hotel to get over Las Vegas and it did not let us down. From the moment we walked in, we were told to drop the bags enjoy the rum drink put into our hands the minute we dropped the cases, and told we had come on holiday to chill so that is what we were to do. The staff all over the hotel from the cleaners the on duty reception staff the guys who took our bags to the room, the waiter and waitress in all the restaurants, the pool men everyone of them deserve a pat on the back for the way they made us feel. Not forgetting the guys who when we went to the beach,and asked where we would like our sun loungers placed, and if we wanted covered or uncovered loungers. They made us feel very welcome from the start. Even in paradise there has to be a downside that was the waves, we almost were swept away a couple of times, not the calmest of waters so please please do think about this before entering the water. And the second week with the food was a bit same old same old. But back to the good, even when we left the hotel the people when we passed by would would wish us a good morning/afternoon/evening. We had a trip to the caves, and one to Bridgetown and the drivers were very informative about the island

Room Tip: We got a room with a private terrace, pool and ocean view. I have great videos on my I-Pad of the so...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank RoseAnn O
Reviewed August 27, 2013

This hotel was fantastic ,I travelled with my husband and young grandson,the staff were fabulous ,from the maids ,children's club ,restaurant staff ,they couldn't do enough for you ,when we were there it was turtle hatching time ,the staff gathered them up ,then gave times in the evening for releasing them into the sea they went over and above to make sure all the children were given a baby turtle to race to the ocean ,it was truly spectacular ,a never to be forgotten moment ,would like to go back at some stage ,the world is your oyster enjoy it while you can ', "
Ps even the beach sellers were entertaining !

Room Tip: Ours was ground floor ,and we. We're more than pleased with it ,can't say about others as we...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Servile
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dover
Hilton Barbados Resort
Sugar Bay Barbados
Sugar Bay Barbados
#3 of 9 in Hastings
Waves Hotel & Spa by Elegant Hotels
Waves Hotel & Spa by Elegant Hot...
#3 of 26 in Saint James Parish
Crystal Cove by Elegant Hotels
Crystal Cove by Elegant Hotels
#6 of 26 in Saint James Parish

Been to Turtle Beach by Elegant Hotels? Share your experiences!