“Hotel fine - other guests the problem!”

Turtle Beach by Elegant Hotels
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Dover
Lee-on-the-Solent, United Kingdom
“Hotel fine - other guests the problem!”
Reviewed August 29, 2013

We have just returned from 10 days at this hotel and mostly had a great time. I will go through major points seperately.

Rooms - We had originally booked a normal suite for ourselves and our 2 children (14 & 12) as the brochure described the room as suitable for 2 adults and 2 children. On ready other posts on this forum I emailed the hotel to check that my 2 children would fit on the sofa bed only to be told it was only suitable for 2 small children. So we paid the extra and moved to a 1 bedroomed suite with the sofa bed in the lounge + an extra single bed which worked out fine. The brochure should be changed to reflect the fact that the sofa bed is only suitable for small children. Going back through posts on the forum this has been a regular comment for years. My only other criticism of the room was a lack of other seating. There is only 1 other chair in the lounge so even with the sofa bed put back up into a settee there isnt enough seating for 4 people although there is plenty of room. The hotel couldnt provide any more seats as they were fully occupied although they did provide 2 more chairs for the balcony when asked. Lovely kingsize bed in the bedroom but I have never had such a set of lumpy pillows! Even when they were changed they were only slightly better.

Food - having been to the Caribbean before I knew what to expect, beef stew, macaroni pie and fried fish with everything and then a mixture of other things. Not to my liking but my husband was fine and there was burgers etc at lunch time which suited the kids.

Pools - I wasnt happy in the pools. There was a large boistrous wedding party at TB at the same time and they monopolised the main pool and most of the sun loungers every day with very boistrious behaviour and inappropriate language which drove everyone else over to the other smaller pool which then became too busy to relax in. The sun loungers get 'reserved' by towels at about 6am and then sometimes not used which was very frustrating. It seemed that people were reserving themselves loungers at the pool and on the beach - it was very annoying. Also being August there were a lot of children there and the pools and areas around quickly got dirty with spilt drink, food etc and although i did now and again see a member of staff cleaning aroung the pools during the day I think this should be done more often. Also some of the children needed more supervision than they were getting and were getting too boisterious and rough so after a few days we mainly used the beach area.

Beach - Lovely sand and 'bouncy'; waves made for good fun. Not suitable for toddlers. Usually enough sun loungers but on at least 2 days we couldnt get a lounger although there were plenty unused but they were 'reserved'. Frustrating for us and for Captain Sam's staff who tired their hardest to find you a lounger.

Service - Lovely staff, but sometimes maybe too polite as if they were coached - sometimes said 'your welcome' at inappropriate times and too often! Great daily cleaning of the room and your room towels could be changed in the evening as well if needed.

Would I go back? probably. My only complaints would have to be about other guests and their behaviour and their childrens behaviour which sometimes spoilt an otherwise lovely holiday but this is going to happen where ever you go - not TB's fault although a wedding party of approx 30 is always going to affect other guests eg keeping the majority of the hotel awake until 4am on the night of the wedding!

1 Thank Katrina P

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (691)
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 27, 2013

We came to this hotel to get over Las Vegas and it did not let us down. From the moment we walked in, we were told to drop the bags enjoy the rum drink put into our hands the minute we dropped the cases, and told we had come on holiday to chill so that is what we were to do. The staff all over the hotel from the cleaners the on duty reception staff the guys who took our bags to the room, the waiter and waitress in all the restaurants, the pool men everyone of them deserve a pat on the back for the way they made us feel. Not forgetting the guys who when we went to the beach,and asked where we would like our sun loungers placed, and if we wanted covered or uncovered loungers. They made us feel very welcome from the start. Even in paradise there has to be a downside that was the waves, we almost were swept away a couple of times, not the calmest of waters so please please do think about this before entering the water. And the second week with the food was a bit same old same old. But back to the good, even when we left the hotel the people when we passed by would would wish us a good morning/afternoon/evening. We had a trip to the caves, and one to Bridgetown and the drivers were very informative about the island

Room Tip: We got a room with a private terrace, pool and ocean view. I have great videos on my I-Pad of the so...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank RoseAnn O
Stirling, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 27, 2013

This hotel was fantastic ,I travelled with my husband and young grandson,the staff were fabulous ,from the maids ,children's club ,restaurant staff ,they couldn't do enough for you ,when we were there it was turtle hatching time ,the staff gathered them up ,then gave times in the evening for releasing them into the sea they went over and above to make sure all the children were given a baby turtle to race to the ocean ,it was truly spectacular ,a never to be forgotten moment ,would like to go back at some stage ,the world is your oyster enjoy it while you can ', "
Ps even the beach sellers were entertaining !

Room Tip: Ours was ground floor ,and we. We're more than pleased with it ,can't say about others as we...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Servile
Wiltshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 27, 2013

Absolutely over the moon with this resort. The staff are brilliant, the rooms are more than adequate. I'll break this review in to sections.

ROOMS: We stayed in room 431 which had a wonderful view over the hotel grounds and the beach. Rooms are spacious and all have your own private balcony/patio. Bathrooms are a generous size with towels changed daily. For those people who have complained about the floor ending up soaking as the shower only has a half door...How flipping hard is it to adjust the shower head to rectify this?!?! I never found it to be a problem. Air Con in the room was an absolute god send, also the ceiling fan means you'll always be able to maintain a comfortable temperature in the room.

RESTAURANTS: We preferred the Chelonia as we liked the variety of the buffets. We booked the Asiagos for our 2nd evening there & to be honest we weren't that impressed. We didn't stay for the full 3 courses as no air con in there made it absolutely stifling. We also tried the Waterfront again the food was great. For those who have moaned about the quality of food here, maybe you should consider self-catering for your next vacation! I can be quite a fussy eater but there was always something I loved & also lots of food I had never tried before. Also, those who have complained about their drinks taking too long to arrive at their table...how difficult is it to get off your backside and walk the few metres to the bar?!? NEWSFLASH...You are NOT the only people staying in the hotel! Did my drinks always arrive promptly? NO! Did I moan about it? NO! You're on holiday in Barbados...what the hell do you have to complain about?!?!

BARS: We were extremely impressed with the selection of drinks that were available. The staff liked nothing better than mixing you up some amazing concoction nothing was too much trouble.

STAFF: Absolutely BRILLIANT! From the moment we arrived at the hotel we were made to feel welcome by all the members of staff that we encountered. They definitely made our stay that much more enjoyable.

ENTERTAINMENT: Varies from evening to evening and some better than others. It ends at 10pm which I think is more than reasonable. Occasionally there were musicians at lunch times too.

Last but not least....THE WEDDING: For anyone wishing to get married here I would highly recommend it. Sinead was our wedding coordinator. I'd seen a couple of weddings previous to mine at the hotel, so knew exactly what I wanted. Sinead went out of her way to ensure my day was as perfect as I had hoped for, nothing was too much trouble for her. I cannot thank her enough for making my wedding day everything I could have hoped for and more.

We absolutely cannot wait to go back!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 26, 2013

Returned home yesterday (Aug 25). Would agree with the tenor of other reviews here - generally a very nice place.

The positives are: Hotel staff - always friendly and helpful (special mention for Herm and Ryan); the beach - perfect sea with nice waves and refreshing breezes; Beach team - really nice people. Sam had a great eye on safety (sea was rough) and Ricky entertained us on the boogie boards in the afternoons - probably the coolest guy in the Caribbean.

Negatives: bit of a lottery, but we co-incided with a number of Brits who were poorly behaved and were a bit of an embarrassment. Loud, aggressive and unpleasant behaviour - I think "all -inclusive" was interpreted as "drink as much as you can"....if any TBR staff are reading, I apologise on behalf of Britain! One other negative with 2 manifestations: The first was that the management did not enforce the "rules" (and I hate rules, especially on holiday!)...in this case there was a policy of no smoking in public areas, including open spaces. This was flouted many times and the staff did nothing - some people were treating the beautiful beach as an ashtray! There should be a uniform "no smoking anywhere on the property" policy which is enforced.

The second was that there was a stated policy that "towels coud not reserve sunbeds". Unfortunately, this was ignored by the staff who allowed this to happen unchecked. Where was the management?

Overall a nice holiday, but with a few changes could have been a great one!

1 Thank S W
Reviewed August 26, 2013 via mobile

We booked this hotel for our honeymoon and upgraded on everything from the flights out to the junior suite ocean view room in hotel. The room was lovely with great views. The food was ok, best eat in the Italian or sea front restaurants. The service during food in the main restaurant was pretty appalling. We felt this hotel is purely set up for families and you are kind of discarded as a couple (we weren't the only couples to feel this way).

Numerous times we had to order our drinks two, three or four times before they finally came, while other tables with families who came after us were served before us. Even at breakfast we had to wait for coffee and once or twice the drinks came as we finished breakfast/ dinner up to an hour later. We complained to the hotel a few times and every time they apologised and said it wouldn't happen again - but it did every night.

The staff are very friendly and kind plus very helpful but please we hate moaning about hotels and this is the first time we have had to Complain.

This is a family resort and couples would be well advised to steer clear and find a better hotel for them. We paid a lot for this holiday and I feel a little miss sold.

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Mark M
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 25, 2013

This was my 5th trip to Barbados and on this occasion opted for all-inclusive at the Turtle Beach resort. Overall, I would have to say the facilities were excellent, particularly the kids club and the gymnasium. The pools are small, certainly smaller than they look in the adverts, but the beach is lovely. We had a garden suite which was nice, sea facing and close to the pool, but the shower door leaked and toilet blocked on first day - all fixed quickly with a call to reception. Restaurants were OK. The Waterfront was favorite for food, breeze and service (but very crowded at lunchtime). The Chelonia roof leaked in rain and was often too crowded and ran out of food, plates, etc. The service in Asagio was best, but the food nothing to write home about and no under 12s allowed. We ate out a few times - just got tired with eating at hotel. Kids food options were unimaginative (nuggets, pasta or hotdogs). The Bar was fine and service there and around the pool excellent. Overall the staff were excellent and service was pretty good. Get up early if you want a sunbed, but don't be greedy like some who took 7 or 8 beds! We took 2 to share between 4 as we are mostly in the pool. Was going to book for next year as the kids enjoyed kids club, but holiday is now 30-40% more expensive for same time of year and it isn't worth the price of a new small car!

Room Tip: Ask for Junior garden suites facing sea or pool - away from nightly entertainment, but close to pool...
2 Thank Deepak M
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dover
Ocean Two Resort & Residences
#10 of 51 in Christ Church Parish
Sandals Barbados
Sandals Barbados
#4 of 8 in St. Lawrence Gap

Been to Turtle Beach by Elegant Hotels? Share your experiences!