We have just returned from 10 days at this hotel and mostly had a great time. I will go through major points seperately.
Rooms - We had originally booked a normal suite for ourselves and our 2 children (14 & 12) as the brochure described the room as suitable for 2 adults and 2 children. On ready other posts on this forum I emailed the hotel to check that my 2 children would fit on the sofa bed only to be told it was only suitable for 2 small children. So we paid the extra and moved to a 1 bedroomed suite with the sofa bed in the lounge + an extra single bed which worked out fine. The brochure should be changed to reflect the fact that the sofa bed is only suitable for small children. Going back through posts on the forum this has been a regular comment for years. My only other criticism of the room was a lack of other seating. There is only 1 other chair in the lounge so even with the sofa bed put back up into a settee there isnt enough seating for 4 people although there is plenty of room. The hotel couldnt provide any more seats as they were fully occupied although they did provide 2 more chairs for the balcony when asked. Lovely kingsize bed in the bedroom but I have never had such a set of lumpy pillows! Even when they were changed they were only slightly better.
Food - having been to the Caribbean before I knew what to expect, beef stew, macaroni pie and fried fish with everything and then a mixture of other things. Not to my liking but my husband was fine and there was burgers etc at lunch time which suited the kids.
Pools - I wasnt happy in the pools. There was a large boistrous wedding party at TB at the same time and they monopolised the main pool and most of the sun loungers every day with very boistrious behaviour and inappropriate language which drove everyone else over to the other smaller pool which then became too busy to relax in. The sun loungers get 'reserved' by towels at about 6am and then sometimes not used which was very frustrating. It seemed that people were reserving themselves loungers at the pool and on the beach - it was very annoying. Also being August there were a lot of children there and the pools and areas around quickly got dirty with spilt drink, food etc and although i did now and again see a member of staff cleaning aroung the pools during the day I think this should be done more often. Also some of the children needed more supervision than they were getting and were getting too boisterious and rough so after a few days we mainly used the beach area.
Beach - Lovely sand and 'bouncy'; waves made for good fun. Not suitable for toddlers. Usually enough sun loungers but on at least 2 days we couldnt get a lounger although there were plenty unused but they were 'reserved'. Frustrating for us and for Captain Sam's staff who tired their hardest to find you a lounger.
Service - Lovely staff, but sometimes maybe too polite as if they were coached - sometimes said 'your welcome' at inappropriate times and too often! Great daily cleaning of the room and your room towels could be changed in the evening as well if needed.
Would I go back? probably. My only complaints would have to be about other guests and their behaviour and their childrens behaviour which sometimes spoilt an otherwise lovely holiday but this is going to happen where ever you go - not TB's fault although a wedding party of approx 30 is always going to affect other guests eg keeping the majority of the hotel awake until 4am on the night of the wedding!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- "A vibrant blend of contemporary style and informal elegance." A truly magnificent all-inclusive property of 161 rooms situated on a glorious stretch of the south coast of Barbados. Turtle Beach Resort uniquely combines contemporary style, informal elegance, lively atmosphere and a superb range of facilities suitable for all ages, including a supervised kids Club (for children aged 4-12) setting new standards for all-inclusive holidays to the Caribbean. Complimentary WiFi. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Travelocity, Hotwire, Hotels.com and getaroom.com so you can book your Turtle Beach by Elegant Hotels reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Turtle Beach By Elegant Hotel Dover
- Turtle Beach Barbados
- Turtle Beach Resort Barbados
- Hotel Turtle Beach
- Turtle Beach By Elegant Hotels Barbados/Dover