“Great vacation”

Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Dover
reading
“Great vacation”
Reviewed July 12, 2013

Everything was perfect - the staff, food, accommodation, cleanliness and location.
Being a solo traveller, my wife having passed away last year, I was made to feel very special and nothing was too much trouble for the staff. I didn't have any problems booking the a'la carte restaurants as this could be done two days in advance. There was always a very good selection of food on the menus. There was a lovely sandy beach with plenty of loungers so you didn't have to get up at the crack of dawn to get a seat, around the two pools, however, the loungers went quite quickly. One of the best all inclusive hotels I have stayed in, in the Caribbean, for the price.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
5 Thank ReadingBrian

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (694)
Essex
Reviewed July 10, 2013

After much searching we decided to book this location via Virgin. Firstly I would like to say this is a lovely location and for all inclusive the food is very good; just need to always be up at the crack of dawn to book into the decent restaurants, which is not so good when you are on holiday. The beach staff are great and will find you a bed and a rum punch with no problem. Our problems unfortunately were all wedding related, and I think if we knew now we would not have booked here. The booking itself was handled very well by Virgin and we were appointed Kinda as our on-site resort Wedding co-ordinator; to which I personally had emailed on a few occasions to clarify some points before arrival. We had decided to upgrade to the Beautiful Bliss package and enjoy a few extra's. Upon arrival we were met by the lovely Herminius (sorry for spelling) and a Rum Punch, which was great. So far so good. We were then handed a letter by reception telling us our pre-wedding get together meeting was at 9am the following morning and we were to meet with Rosalind, apparently Kinda was no longer our co-ordinator. We arrived, we were then told we should not have been given the letter until Sunday and to come back the next day. We me with Rosalind and we were assured by her that she had arranged many lovely weddings, she did not, however know which package we had and blamed Virgin, although they did find an email from me that clarified it and just as well I had papers as we had to also prove it. As part of the package we were entitled to a Champagne Breakfast and Romantic Turn-Down for the bed. The day itself was lovely and the Reverand Seale a joy to meet and marry us. The red carpet was not worth the money and ended up being refunded as was not red and had seen better days. We went to Champers for our evening meal (a true joy) and returned to our room waiting to see what the romantic theme was...It looked like someone had got in the bed rolled around and then jumped on it! As a bride a little upsetting to witness. The champagne breakfast was incomplete and my new husband had to continually moan about getting things sorted (our wedding cake also dissapeared for 24 hours). We met with our rep and whilst the romantic turn-down appeared the following night we were finally re-offered a breakfast on our last day! I think not with cases all around us. Whilst most things were minor and we did not allow them to ruin our holiday it is not really what you expect for your wedding, whilst other weddings seemed to go fairly smoothly whilst we were there I can obviously only comment on our experience but as this was meant to be relaxing and stress free it was not. For transport we used Leander Marshall we found his fairs to be the most reasonable and he was always on time when we booked him to pick us up; front desk will arrange for him. For us the down-side of the hotels failings were made up elsewhere, the island is amazing and the people are the friendliest I have ever met.

Room Tip: We had an Ocean View Room and was worth the upgrade (although was part of the Wedding Package)
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Jenny J
Houston, Texas
Reviewed July 8, 2013

I'd like to say as someone who read reviews of this resort up until we left for vacation, I found that being American I was pleasantly surprised as so many other Americans that left reviews seemed to think this resort was horrible. That is just not true. If you want 5 star, pay more money and go somewhere else. You get what you pay for. Our stay was June 19th through June 27th.

I'm going to try and break down this review as much as possible for people that are looking to stay here in the future.

We did not get into Barbados until about 11:00 at night. When we arrived we were told we could do check in the next morning and was promptly taken to our room. That was great as we were already seriously tired from traveling. We get to our room (305) and we were AMAZED! They had upgraded us to a room that had two balconies and was literally 20 ft from the ocean. I've never stayed anywhere (and I am a very seasoned traveler) that has been so close to the beach unless I paid extra for it. The second night we saw a turtle come on to the beach to lay eggs, right from our balcony! Since we had got in so late, they had left a nice snack plate for us, but nothing to drink. Our fridge was Not stocked with anything the whole time we were there. There is no bottled water, but that was OK as the water is fabulous right from the tap. I just wished I would have brought a bottle from home to put water in for the beach. That was solved by walking to the Gap and buying a small one. Cheap and easily refilled.

The Room... As I said, the situation off this room was fabulous, if I went back to this resort would ask for this room each time. There was one king size bed in the room and a pull out sofa bed. Our 16 year old son had no problem sleeping on the sofa bed the whole time. Our bed was hard and the pillows were lumpy but neither myself or my husband minded as we still slept just fine. There were no pictures on the wall, but I could care less about that. There was a huge walk-in closet with a mirror that was excellent along with a safe. You don't have to pay extra for the safe which was great. The bathroom was a decent size with one sink. The shower, well it is as everyone has said. The glass partial divider makes no sense all the water went on the floor. Once again it didn't bother us, we always had a ton of towels and just laid one in the floor to catch the water. Problem solved not a big issue. Your in the Caribbean, work with it. Don't be so anal.

The cleanliness.. The maid always did a good job, yes there was some sand always on the floor, but hello we probably tracked in half the beach! The bathroom was always cleaned up and the beds were made up nicely. We left her a sizable tip on the last day.

The staff.. Some seemed to think the staff rude. The whole time we were there not a soul was rude to us unless it was the tourists that was staying there. Come on people try being nice and you won't have the staff be rude. Just because you leave your country doesn't mean you leave your politeness too. So many people were rude to the staff and then expected for the staff to be nice. Ugh.. The staff are over worked. Most of the wait staff was there from the time breakfast began to way after the last meal was served at night. Smile. Say Thank You. It works wonders.

The beach.. WOW! The beach was amazing. There was never a time when we didn't get a covered lounge. The resort beach itself is small IF you don't walk over the breakers on either side, however if you take a second and walk around the breakers you can walk a good ways. All the beaches are public, but no one bothers you. Security is always there and if someone asks you to buy something a simple no Thank you works just fine. We never used the beach activities as we always bring our own snorkel gear, but they always got us loungers and towels. BTW you have towel cards. They are easy to exchange, just make sure you get them back that way you don't have to pay 30 bucks per towel card at the end of the trip. You can't snorkel right off the beach, but there are plenty of trips that can get you where you wanna be! Oh and did I mention the water? Crystal clear turquoise blue waters. Beautiful. The most beautiful since Turks & Caicos. The waves are rough, but we loved them. Yes a red flag was out constantly, however use common sense. If you are a good swimmer, your fine. We were in the water the whole time, for hours and hours. If you can't swim, stay knee deep. If you feel the riptide is to strong, don't go out, and for the love of God, please watch your children. Also as an aside, it was nice to have staff walk around on the beach with drinks.

The food... Hmmm, well let me say none of three of us are finicky. Not even a little, and while none of us lost weight and went hungry by any stretch, breakfast and lunch was quite monotonous. There's not much in the way of fresh fruits and veggies. That was OK, because I wasn't looking to eat healthy while on vaca. =) Nightly dinner was marginally better.

Asagios was a HUGE disappointment. I set it up so that on my husbands birthday we would eat there. I even made sure they brought him a special dessert and they sang to him which was fun! However, the food was horrid. Overcooked Calamari, runny soup that had no taste, more onions then lettuce on the salad, and the main course was just OK. The dessert was FABULOUS tho!

The Waterfront was actually a lot better. We ate there twice and each time the meal was lovely. We never ate meat, we preferred fish or seafood. It was always cooked nicely. The soup was never very good, and most all dishes lacked salt or seasoning, but that could just be my American palate. As I said before, I didn't lose any weight.

Chelonia was the best place for us to eat. They had theme nights (our fave was Carribean night) and generally something one of us liked every evening. The buffets aren't big, so don't go in expecting to have a ton of different options. The resort isn't big enough to have a huge buffet.

Drinks... The drinks were fabulous, my favorite was the Midnight Love. If you don't think there is enough rum in a drink, ask for a shot on the side. If your not a big rum drinker, there are plenty of other liquors available. Absolute, Kahlua, Baileys, just to name a few. There is no swim up bar at this resort, and only two bars period. The bartenders are extremely overworked. Please have patience and tip when you can. They deserve it.

On a side note, eat out when you get a chance. Go to Bridgetown, wonder among the locals, find a dive to eat in. The flying fish is amazing, I ate it as often as I could along with their hot sauces. YUM! If you decide to eat in St. Lawrence Gap, bring plenty of money, the restaurants are NOT cheap.

Excursions.. We went to Harrisons Cave & the El Tigre Catamaran. We also took the shuttle from the resort to Bridgetown twice. Not to mention we walked St. Lawrence Gap 3 times. We loved it all. The excursions were worth it as you got to see quite a bit of the island. We got to swim with the turtles, which was mesmerizing. As far as being dropped off for a walkabout, never once did we feel like there was a security issue. The locals are friendly and we have always thrived on getting off the beaten path. Some places like Nicaragua or the Dominican, we didn't feel that comfortable, but in Barbados it is very secure for tourists.

Pools... We never got in the pools so I can't really say much about them except they always looked very clean.

All in all Barbados was amazing. Truly one of my favorite places to go. The Island is clean, the people are friendly and the water is amazing. The resort itself is kid friendly, but not a lot of things for them to do if they are little. There aren't any "shows" to speak of at the resort. Generally just someone singing. If your looking for entertainment and excitement at a resort, then this one prolly isn't for you. Not much in the way of a younger scene, however you can go to St. Lawrence Gap to find entertainment. There was generally 90% British, 5% Canadians, & 5% Americans there. We loved it!

If I could give one piece of advice it would be to slow down, relax, and have patience.

Room Tip: Ask for room 305. Quite, secluded, close to the beach.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank misterrollie
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed July 1, 2013

I stayed here for one week in June with my family. Overall, we had a great stay at TB and would recommend it because of the beach, food and service. I'll break my review down into categories:

Beach - Probably one of the best Caribbean beaches we've been to. Beautiful white sand, not rocky at all, fun waves to boogey board for kids (and parents), wild catamaran rides from the beach, plenty of chairs with canopies for shade, frequent waiters walking by with drinks or taking orders, minimal vendors, constant security guards walking around, additional beaches to walk on beyond TB.

Room: Our room was spacious and very clean. AC worked well. Nice view of the pool and sea in the distance for a standard garden/pool view room. And we could sit on our balcony at night to watch the shows, as we had a great view of the entertainment gazebo. This also could be a con since one of our kids was ready for bed before 10pm when the shows ended.

Our room had one queen bed and one sofa with pullout bed. The mattress on the sofabed was pretty old, however I asked housekeeping for a mattress topper and they put it on the sofabed that day and remade the bed for us.

Food - Awesome! The buffets were delicious with tons of local foods to sample. We only ate at the Waterfront a la carte, as the other restaurant only allowed kids over age 12. Kind of a bummer for a family resort to have a restaurant with that kind of restriction.

The only negative thing I can say about the food was that the mini-fridge in the room was completely empty. And they charge you for bottles of water. I've never been to an all-inclusive before that didn't include bottled water and at least some snacks in the fridge. But there is a nearby mini-mart where you can buy bottled water.

Excursions- We did a three-hour catamaran trip with snorkeling with the turtles. It was a highlight of the trip. We also rented a van for a few days (it came with a booster seat for my younger child and AC) and did a lot of driving around the island.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
8 Thank TripMurray
Reviewed June 29, 2013

We travelled out there to get married and thought TB would be perfect.
To be honest it wasn't far off apart from the weather in the evening (belted down with rain).

Bar Staff - some can be a little slow, those that go above and beyond include Winston & Collis they are fantastic.

A special mention must go out to Maradona - always smiling, always friendly, always attentive and make you feel like you are the only people there whilst he's talking to you.

Water Sports - Captain Sam gets a lot of the credit for this part from other guests however, personally, Ricky, Urban & Dario are the most approachable, friendly and seem to make you feel that nothing is too much trouble, this isn't knocking Sam in anyway at all - he's pretty cool himself !!
There is a down side to the water sports side of the team - there were 2 members during our stay who didn't wear the orange t shirts, and seemed to be a little younger than the others, these two I didn't catch the names of, did however catch them trying it on with my other half every time my back was turned....to say this annoyed me was an understatement, wasn't just my other half though, everytime a female in her own hit the beach he was like a dog on heat....from a staff member this shouldn't be happening and is disappointing to say the least (young guy usually wearing aviator style sunglasses and a vest top). He needs sorting out on neutering !!

The wedding team were fantastic and catered for your every need (special mention to Sinead & Kinda).

Rosalynd (excuse my spelling if incorrect) in the activities office is a must visit just to hold a conversation with even if you don't book an excursion !! She's fab !

Beach sellers get annoying at times but a stern NO or as the week wore on a few more choice words to repeat offenders and they move on and don't come back.

El Tigre must also get a mention, this is the catamaran trip to snorkel with the sea turtles - AN ABSOLUTE must - if not with these guys there are a couple of alternatives (Jammin & Cool Runnings to name 2).....regardless of the boat - the trip can not be missed !

Fish fry Fridays in OISTINS - for us was disappointing, everyone raves about it - it's okay for a half hour visit but not much more (my opinion & the opinion of the other 5 people I was with).

Some lovely bars & restaurants around St.Lawrence gap worth a venture off the resort, everywhere you go is safe, at worst you get asked if you want drugs, aloe Vera or a straw hat, that's generally off each guy !

Taxi drivers can be expensive so get a price first, depending on your taxi driver he will also try and sell you 'something to smoke' but on the whole all very funny in there own way.

Back to TB - for the staff I didn't mention, 99% of you are a credit to the hotel and indeed to Barbados.

The only gripe I would have is that some rooms are noisier than others, fortunately we had a 3rd floor room, out friends were on floor 1 and were woken each morning by the sound of the trolleys carrying things to breakfast at 5.00 am - not relaxing at all for them !

If you like the beach it's ace - never a problem with sun loungers, if you want pool side be prepared to be up early, I got up some mornings just to sit and watch these funny people running down at 5.30/6.00 am to put towels on beds ! Get a grip people !! There's plenty to go round !!

If you asked me would I go back, definitely ! Despite these little gripes and the wannabe humping dog in water sports, it's a good place.

Would I go back - definitely !

• Stayed June 2013
4 Thank Kevodon
Sunderland, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 28, 2013

hi i would really like to share that our visit in april for our sons wedding was absolutley fabulous both of our familys were treat like roialty and enjoyed every single minute only downfall was that we were only there for a week just not long enough.we would like to thank theall staff and the wedding planners whitch cudnt do anything more to make our sons wedding so special a memory not to be forgottonand will always remember in our hearts.thank you the boyce and benson family from sunderland tyne& wear.

Room Tip: we had a pool side room absolutley amazing to wake up on a morning straight outside for a dip.everyt...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank julie anne b
Chester, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 28, 2013

My husband and I had a wonderful, relaxing holiday. Most of the staff were pleasant and helpful. All the beach staff were excellent and "made" our holiday. We had no problems with people trying to sell us things on the beach, there were security staff walking up and down the beach all day, every day. The reception staff were also helpful - Our holiday didn't get off to a good start as we had paid extra for a Junior suite, ocean view room and requested a 4th floor room. We were given room 234 on arrival on the 2nd floor, the room looked shabby and there wasn't much of a sea view. The air con. unit was old and very noisy and the fan in the bathroom was exceptionally loud. We felt so disappointed we went back to reception but was told the hotel was full and there were no ocean view rooms left on the 4th floor - however, after politely "standing our ground" the receptionist said we could have a room the next day after 2pm, this we agreed to - so after a night on a very hard bed we eventually moved to room 412 on the 4th floor - What a difference!!! it was well worth the trouble of moving. The room was much bigger and cleaner with a new air con unit which was quiet and easy to use, the bed was much more comfortable and the view was wonderful!. We thoroughly enjoyed the rest of our holiday in this lovely room.
Holiday tips: 1) The tap water is safe to drink, you do not need to buy bottled water
2)The coffee making machine in the room is easy to use and can be used to just boil the water to make a cup of tea - just take your own tea bags.
3) There is an excellent coffee/hot chocolate machine in the main buffet restaurant
4) The Concierge lads were excellent! they will help you with any request or problems you have - much more helpful than our Virgin rep!!
5) It is $2 BD for a trip on the local yellow buses for one stop or as far as you want to go (not air conditioned)
6) Before setting off in a taxi, check the price is in Barbadian dollars and not American dollars and ask price for trip before you set off.
7) Good mini market is only 5 mins away - just turn left out of hotel, go around the bend and it is there on the right hand side.
8) If you wish to visit Crystal Cove you have to book the visit with reception before you go (after our visit we decided we much preferred Turtle beach)
9) The birds in the restaurants are amusing at the beginning of the holiday but after 2 weeks they do become rather annoying. If you don't like birds, this hotel is not for you!
To sum up: - The hotel was clean, with good staff, good food, not ostentatious, just very friendly and relaxing. The beach was superb and the staff outstanding! The pools were clean and warm. Entertainment excellent. Drinks/cocktails were amazing! and YES! we would return to this hotel again!

Room Tip: There is only one small lift to service floors 3 and 4, which did break down for a short period when...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank AlisonHols
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dover
Ocean Two Resort & Residences
#7 of 26 in Saint James Parish
Bougainvillea Beach Resort
Bougainvillea Beach Resort
#10 of 51 in Christ Church Parish

Been to Turtle Beach by Elegant Hotels? Share your experiences!