“Fantastic...”

Turtle Beach by Elegant Hotels
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Dover
Reviewed June 1, 2008

We have just returned from out third stay at the 'Turtle Beach Resort' in Barbados and had a fantastic holiday.....

The hotel has been refurbished since our last stay in 2004 and the rooms are what you would expect from Barbados - not wall to wall luxery but ample clean rooms with good facilites, with daily maid service.

The hotel is located on the south coast and has a beautiful uncrowded beach, the water is a little choppier than on the west but we (a family with young childen) still managed a little swim on calmer days and enjoyed the Boogie boarding at other times. The watersports are run by Captain Sam and his team, he's a real character, lots of fun and really friendly....

The pool area is nice with two main pools and one baby/toddler pool, sunbeds are always available. Maradona the waiter provided an excellent service delivering us guests with fresh fruit and drinks whilst we bathed in the sun....

There are three restaurants (one adult only) which offer both A la Carte and buffet, the food is plentiful and good, you really can spend the whole holiday eating!!!! The bars are well stocked, we enjoyed many a cocktail in the late afternoon sunshine.....

The staff on the whole warm and friendly as are most Bajans, service did slow a little when busy but really nothing to complain about....

A really nice day out is to jump in a taxi to Turtle Beach's sister hotel 'Crystal Cove'. Here you can enjoy the calmer West coast and travel by Water taxi to the other Elegant Hotels...

Turtle Beach is a well run hotel for both couples and families and i'm sure we will return once again.....

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank UKFamilyUk

Reviewed May 31, 2008

Just got back (29th May). Had a great time - lovely location - resort great especially for kids - we don't have kids but it was still fine for us although I would suggest going outside of half term breaks / school holidays as the pools can tend to get a bit busy.
Food and drinks were fab - we took a trip to the sister resorts of this hotel and they all look great too !
Only thing we would say as there is limited evening entertainment which finishes at 10.30pm - obviously as it is a family resort - but this never bothered us.
Our room (304) was lovely with a great ocean view, but it seemed as if all the rooms would pretty much have a nice view.
Just to put all this in to context - we usually stay at Sandals resorts in the carribean - but we thought Turtle Beach was perfectly acceptable and good value for money. Would we go back to this resort? Yes - but think I would prefer to be on the West side of Barbados as it was less breezy and the water is calmer.
One thing worth doing is the helicoptor ride - its fantastic !

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Surreyx2
Reviewed May 30, 2008

This was our first trip to Barbados and this hotel didn't disappoint. Having spent 5 night at Turtle Beach and 9 night further up the island at Crystal Cove I wish it had been the other way around.

The room was large and clean. We had a balcony that over looked the beach/ocean which was beautiful. The beach was lovely soft white sand and there was never a shortage of sun beds. The sea was a bit wavy but it was clear and easy to swim in with no stones or rocks.

The service was outstanding and could not be faulted. The food was good and there was plenty of choice. I would have no qualms in going back to this resort.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Jbrett
Reviewed May 22, 2008

i stayed in the Turtle Beach resort for my brothers wedding,
there was around 50 of us ranging between the ages of
03- 80years.

so i will start with the positives

Food: Very nice, lots of choice

Weather: Lovely weather, hot hot hot!!!

Beaches:White sandy, beware of the strong waves they dragged me down a few times!!! lol

People:Lovely people,bit pushy but generally kind hearted.

Negatives

Entertainment: NON EXISTANT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

we saw 2 shows in the two weeks that we were there, we ended up spending most of the time in st lawrences gap so ended up spending alot of money out there.

and for all inclusive in barbados we had high expectations.

overall an ok holiday that bored the hell out of us!!!!

truley this hotel should be for couples only,wanting to do nothing more than lounge all day and all night.

• Stayed: November 2004
Reviewed May 18, 2008

Went t to the Turtle Beach Resort in April 2008 and I expected the beach personel to hassle us as they did in Kenya - no one did and those people on the beach were very friendly with their 'good morning/afternoon' comments!

The staff as a whole were wonderful but whether it was me or they were in a bad mood, some would ignore me as I wasn't there; for example, at the pool one waiter would walk past me but stop at the next lounger and ask if they'd like a drink!!!! His collegue, on the other hand, would make sure he'd stop and not only ask if I'd like a drink but if the husband was well, the children were well, was we having a good time etc!

The food was OK, not brilliant as expected but I was very disappointed that we were unable to attend the Italian restaurant because the kids were under 12! Their loss.

The room was big enough for the 4 of us and the maid kept it nicely cleaned.

There's a Sunday market at the hotel on Sunday (off course!) which was a nice surprise. There is an 'exabition' on gold etc in the grounds by the dining hall so don't rush to buy from the Diamond shop - look around first.

We had the previlige to see about 6 weddings which was great to see them dolled up and you in a bikini!!!

Overall we were very happy to be left alone and I would recommend this hotel any day - have a great time; the turtles lay their eggs between July and September! Regards to Captain Sam in at the beach sports area!

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed May 16, 2008

First of all I was worried about this holiday like many others on here after reading reviews, but I was determined to relax and have a good time no matter what. Relax we did.
We stayed April 20th to 5th May 2008 and I`ve still got my tan (which I worked very hard on!!)
I think one of the things to remember is that the Caribbean is very different from holidays you may have in the Far East and Indian ocean in terms of standards for your money. But there`s something about the Caribbean islands that keeps bringing us back even though we know we could get more luxury for our money in Thailand or Mauritius. (and we love Mauritius and thailand) Perhaps its the pace of life. In Barbados you have to relax because everything is nice and slow. Keep in mind that Barbados is an expensive island and that really Turtle Beach is realativley cheap compared to many hotels, and the south coast with its rough waters, is the lower end of the Barbados market, although personally I find the south coast beaches much better.

Welcome Drink
I love the welcome to the Caribbean with your first rum punch of the holiday but sadly our Virgin flight was delayed by three hours so we missed the drink but... we got a platter full of yummy food in our room which was nice as we were starving when we got there. (Not particularly impressed with Virgin, but thats another story)

Rooms
Our room was fine. It was large and very clean but I have to agree with other reviews that our bathroom needed re doing. I like a hot bath at the end of a hot day (don`t know why, just do) but didn`t want to here as the bath had lots of scratches and needed a good regrout. Our view was of a hedge but to be fair we didn`t spend much time in the room. They gave us loads of towels too which was nice and bed linen changed every day. Loved my "dressing room" and in room hairdryer was fine for longish hair, no need to bring your own.

Beach
I really do not understand why people stay round the pool when you have a beach like this although the pools were lovely and very clean) It has the most gorgeous breeze and if you`re interested in getting a tan its perfect as the breeze cools you down enough to stay in full sun all day. Not healthy but needs must! The sea was so strong which was fine for us as we boogie boarded loads although if I`d got tots with me I may have been a little bit disappointed. We went on the hotel catemeran which was lovely and kayaked. You can snorkel off the beach but I`m not sure how good it is as the watersports guys warned us the visibility would be poor the day we wanted to go. You have a bit of a swim to get to the reef. Some people were having surfing lessons which looked fun and you can windsurf. Watersports guys lovely, helpful and safety conscious. There are two lovely guys who are beach ambassadors, one of whom is called Maradonna. Just lovely and arrived at just the right time with a tray of cold drinks and an order pad. Was disappointed to see some guests being unnecessarily rude to them.
There are lots of people on the beach selling stuff (!) usually "Aloe vera for your burn or something to smoke!" The "something to smoke" comes tucked in the end of the Aloe vera!! (not that we had anything to do with that) there was a family with teenage girls and they seemed to attract lots of "beachside attention" but a polite conversation and "no" seemed to do the trick. I did find,however, that I spent some time pretending to be asleep to avert passing salsemen/casanovas especially when abandoned by my boyfriend who had disappeared to the bar to watch football.

I`ve got mixed feelings about the food as after the 27th April it noticably deteriorated. I didn`t really like the Chelonia. It was ok but a bit like a canteen, with birdsYes they are massive but not massive enough to ruin my holiday. Much preferred the Waterfront one. Wished the menus came out earlier too. Booking for a meal is a pain and quite unnecessary. We had a mix of buffet (gorgeous) and a la carte (gorgeous to so so) always fresh local fish on. Loved the saturday night barbeque especially the steaks! Yum. Totally agree with the reviewers who said the waiters at the bar were surly. Didn`t like my wine in a plastic cup either. (Don`t worry, it`s in a nice glass at mealtimes and in Chelonia bar,)
Lunch did get a bit boring in a way but there was plenty of selection and always gorgeous salads on. Boyfriend liked the burgers. I succumed one day and can confirm they are quite fine despit my snobbish attitude to them initially!!! (Didn`t like the utensil holders in water...you`ll know what I mean when you get there.) Italian was ok, we went on our first night and didn`t feel compelled to revisit.

Entertainment
If you want to party, don`t come to turtle beach. This suited us fine as we wanted to chill out. I suppose if you did want to party a short walk to the Gap would do the trick! There was a rather amusing "caribbean night" which included two Usher lookalikes gyrating...mmm. Limbo dancing requires audience participation so get out of the restaurant when they come on to save embarrasment!

Weddings
When i was booking this holiday there were lots of reviews stating that weddings "take over". I was a bit worried about this. Shouldn`t have worried. The weddings we saw, 3 in 2 weeks, were lovely and very low key and I felt rather jealous!!! A wedding here, on the beach would be lovely. They certainly didn`t take over the resort.

The Gym
Sadly, for me and the boyfriend a gym has become an essential part of our holiday. Largely beacuse after an hour in there we feel we can take all inclusive to its full advantage. Gym was fine, boyfriend thought weights esp. free weights were good. 2 out of 3 treadmills working. Bike out of action. Step machine, no x trainer. Steps and medicine balls in abundance. Great. Also personal trainer if you felt the need. Reasoonably busy, often a wait for the treadmills but plenty of weights to keep you happy. We`re usually only people in gym on holiday but there were lots of very fit and toned people here and present in the gym. Good for motivation!!! Tennis courts looked good but too hot for us.

Kids
We don`t have children and much as I love them a holiday shared with toddlers leaves me cold. Yes there were children but gorgeous, well behaved, happily entertained ones. Was a pleasure to see their joy at the sea, on the sand and dancing round the "entertainment". Don`t let "family resort" put you off.

Other things:
The Cliff
Went to The Cliff, photos should be attached. PERFECT!!!! LOVED IT. We were lucky to have a railside table watching crashing waves breaking on the rocks. Amazing. Usually see some celebs but none this time. We booked through hotel this time which was hassle free and got an email under the door to confirm. The Cliff is very expensive but I thought well worth it (partner didn`t really agree, but he was paying!) we had three course meal, 2 bottles of water, bottle of wine and a couple of cocktails. The damage was just under £400. Beware...no prices on menu, as I said I thought it was well worth it....
Met an american couple at Turtle beach who say there`s a restaraunt on south coast rivalling the Cliff. South Sea? not sure of the name but review suggest even better than The Cliff but Fish Pot in St Peters apparently very good and this has overtaken the Cliff in reviews and celebrity patronage.

Cool Runnings
Loved this trip. Every holiday we go on a catemeran trip and I`ve been largely disappointed with the snorkelling in the Caribbean however it was quite good here. We went snorkelling with turtles. Normally I would have loved this but it was very crowded and the visibility not great. Rest of the snorkelling great. Especially abundance.This trip was great because they limit their numbers and have great food and cold wine (which is a bonus). I was struck with how safety concsious they were and they checked everyones` ability before they went in the water. This would be a great trip for those who have never been snorkelling before. If you don`t want to get in the water there`s no pressure, stay on the boat and enjoy the scenery. We booked this at the hotel and the concierge ladies confirmed this was most popular cruise and is difficult to book up on. If you`re desparate to go on a catemeran cruise like this then I`d recommend you book online. We met loads of lovely people on this trip and all ages and nationalities. A lovely day. And as I said, excellent food.

We had a great time at the Turtle beach. We arrived deatly pale, frazzled and shaking with stress, we left dark brown, chilled and happy (and a bit fatter). Its a great holiday for your money. Remember...you get what you pay for.
Any queries or questions, Id be very happy to help. I do hope this review is useful.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank helsb00
Reviewed May 16, 2008

Like a lot of people we read the reviews and thought..what have we done, however, we went with an open mind and for the price we paid (only a few hundred more than 2 weeks in Kos last year) we were utterly delighted with the hotel and every thing it offered.

We went with our 4 year old son Ruben, so we were looking for a quiet, family orientated all inclusive resort - and Turtle Beach exceeded. We were not bothered about night life and were actually quite grateful the entertainment ended at 10:30 and we could fall asleep to the sound of waves.

In response to the criticisms that have been brought up:

Staff: All the ladies in both the restaurants were lovely and very friendly esp Sherrel, Sandra, Wendy, Alison and Tracia. Hillary & Joseph were stars and we always managed to get a good table away from the music. The staff was very attentive and regularly filled water glasses and topped up wine, and quickly brought drinks orders. Yes there were some surly staff (Winston - cheer up love its not that bad!!)

Our special thanks to the Water Sports Team - especially Mr Ricky and Capt. Sam who could not have done more for our son who adored them and is now a boogie boarding champion.

We had one unfortunate incident on Barbados Mother's day. The hotel had a Mother's Day lunch and decked out the restaurant with baslloons and gave a lovely rose to each Mum. Unfortunately the waitress accidentally spilled a Strawberry Daquiri over my husband's back. Needless to say he was not best amused but the hotel manager handled the incident directly and had his clothes laundered and did not charge us for the bottle of Veuve Cliquot champagne we had ordered to have with our meal. It was an unfortunate incident but we felt the hotel handled it perfectly.

Special mention for Carlotta our housekeeper for the stay - nothing too much trouble and she had to deal with at least 8 wet bed nights(my son's!!! :-))

Rooms: we were very very happy with room 436. It was on the top floor with partial sea/ocean views. Very spacious and very clean. No complaints except the bed was not very comfortable - still they never are when its not your own!! Also the shower was not very powerful but did the job. No mould around the tub and no peeling/chipped paintwork.

Food: Most of the days the food was good with a wide variety of choice. We even managed to keep up the veg intake for my son who loves brocolli. The A la carte meals were very good and had plenty of choice and we can only remember 2 meals where we were slightly disappointed Breakfast was very good with enough choice each day - OK it was the same variety but you could mix and match - full English, egg prepped to order, cereals, croissants and pastries, fresh fruit, yogurts, cold meats and cheese, pancakes & maple syrup, toast, bagels, muffins, juices, teas, coffee - for those that commented that they thought the breakfasts did not hold enough variety - get real what planet are you living on!! We have eaten in some of the best restaurants in the UK and given that this is an all inclusive resort catering for a large number of people it wasn't bad. If you want better food then pay the extra and go for a better star hotel.

The Birds: yes there are birds BUT they do not really come to your table when you are eating. Just don't leave plates open to the elements or the birds!! The worst time for the birds is in Chelonia at high tea - pigeons swoop down to get the food but they do not actually land. The biggest problem is bird poop on the backs of chairs - but this is regularly cleared.

Beach: is beautiful and yes the waves are rough and big but our son was able to boogie board quite happily despite a few "wipe outs" he still managed to catch a few perfect waves, and he was asking to go back for more. You can't do this on the West Coast as its like a mill pond. I can see that if you are not a strong swimmer it would be a little concerning but we loved it. Especially as Tyson and Maradona bring you drinks on the beach - heaven !!

Thanks Turtle Beach - we will be back.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dover
Yellow Bird Hotel
Crystal Cove by Elegant Hotels
Crystal Cove by Elegant Hotels
#7 of 26 in Saint James Parish
Waves Hotel & Spa by Elegant Hotels
Waves Hotel & Spa by Elegant Hot...
#4 of 26 in Saint James Parish

Been to Turtle Beach by Elegant Hotels? Share your experiences!