“Memorable 30th Birthday Vacation!!”

Turtle Beach by Elegant Hotels
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Dover
Brooklyn, New York
“Memorable 30th Birthday Vacation!!”
Reviewed June 3, 2013

I stayed here with my boyfriend and 3 of my girlfriends to celebrate my 30th bday. We checked in on the 17th & checked out on the 22nd. As soon as we arrived we were welcomed with the most delicious & STRONG rum punches. We arrived about 2 hours before check-in time. My friends were welcomed to their room right away. My boyfriend & I had to wait until our room was ready but while we waited we were invited to have lunch which was great. We got full swing into eating, drinking & just enjoying the all-inclusiveness of our vacation.

Before we knew it our full, buzzed selves were invited to go see our room. The room was VERY comfortable. The view was worth the extra money (we stayed in room 306). The bathroom was clean. The only gripe was the half-door that was installed to the tub. It really didn't stop water from getting EVERYWHERE while you took a shower. Thankfully we were provided with fresh towels daily because we had to use them to dry up puddles of water. But, it wasn't that big of a deal. We loved our room, the view & the hotel too much to spend much time thinking about it.

The staff were always friendly. They made whatever drinks we asked for & they were always strong. I recommend the bomber (mango, strawberry, banana, w/ rum) & the spring turtle was good also. We lounged on the beach most of the day. Captain Sam's crew are the best, especially Ricky. They made sure we had chairs with covers every day. There are 2 pools & 1 hot tub. Pools closed kinda early. The entertainment was a nice touch for dinner. Ended around 1030 since it was very close to rooms.

The food was good & always tasted fresh. I think breakfast & lunch were our favorite meals. Yes, some of the items were repeated but it all tasted so good so no complaints. Bajan hot sauce is so delicious that I had to bring some home! If you're there on a Friday night everyone recommends going to Oistin's for the best seafood (think flea market but for seafood lol). We went on Sat so it was pretty low key & ate at this place called Chillin & Grillin. The waiter that catered to us was amazing (I believe his name was Ralph). He described how everything was cooked & made recommendations. My first time trying red snapper & it was DELICIOUS. We ate at Asiago's the night of my birthday. It was pretty warm but a nice change from the buffet. Ambiance was nice. Food was ok. My steak wasn't tasty but everyone else's food seemed very good & the side of pasta I ordered was great.

The water was rough every day. The red flag ws out at all times but they don't really stop you from swimming. Just be careful. Also, it rained every day but usually for a few minutes and then the sun came right back out.

It was one of the best trips I've taken. I will forever remember turning 30 :-) I can't wait to return to the Caribbean!

Room Tip: If you can afford it, pay extra for ocean view. The ocean is blocked by the many trees on the prope...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank blue_butterflyzz

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (691)
Macmerry, Scotland, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 2, 2013

we stayed at Turtle Beach resort from 17may till 29th 2013, we had a party of fifteen flying out for a wedding, my husband had a bad accident the day before we left which resulted in a broken hand and broken bone in back. The staff here could not be more helpful, our room was gorgeous, clean and the view was breathtaking. The food i could not fault, as we had such a varied choice,loved the breakfasts you have almost anything, including porridge!! the wedding was amazing, the setting beautiful, the only downside was the entertainment finished around half past ten, but probably because of the young families staying at the resort. Everyone was so cheerul and relaxed, perfect place for my husband to recuperate even if he did only manage into one of the lovely pools just once, he loved the jacuzzi. We absolutely loved our stay, and a visit to Harrisons Cave is an absolute must. Barbados is a beautiful island and i would love to go back if i can save up again. would definitely recommend this resort :)

Room Tip: we had a room with a pool and sea view and was absolutely beautiful, a lot of the young families had...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank maggsk1
Staffordshire
Reviewed June 1, 2013 via mobile

We are just about to leave Turtle beach after an amazing 2 weeks. Yes it does take a bit longer to bring you your drinks but hey your on holiday in Barbados living in Bajen time, chill!
The staff were fabulous, special thank you to Ricky, Captain Sam Dario & Maradona for looking after us on the beach. Hilary, Micheal & everyone who looked after us elsewhere We had a Virgin holiday & did two trips, the island tour a d Virgins ahoy. Both trips were well organised & we were totally spoilt for the whole day. Really enjoyed swimming with the turtles. They even came into our bay whilst we were there. Bajen's have a fab sense of humour once they get to know you, so give the a chance because they can be quite shy at 1st.
I hope to return one day to this beautiful island and would it hesitate to come back to our home in Beautiful Barbados, Turtle Beach.!

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Salhhannah
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed May 31, 2013

I'm just back from 2 weeks at Turtle Beach and I am just dying to get back to Barbados and the Caribbean again! I went with my parents and we had a triple room (room 408). When we arrived we were greeted with a selection of fruit or rum punch and nothing but smiles and warm welcomes from all the staff we met.

When we got to our room we were slightly disappointed to see that the other bed was just a fold out sofa bed. Perhaps we should have mentioned this at the time and they might have given us a better room but we let it go which led to a few uncomfortable nights sleep for me! Apart from that, the room was ok. The view from the balcony was lovely, but we were only given 2 chairs on the balcony which again was a bit of a let down when a triple room was booked!

The ensuite was quite small, just one sink, and the shower leaked, no matter what we did, water pooled on the bathroom floor and leaked out the bathroom door!
We also found that housekeeping didn't seem to do a thorough clean every day, they didn't always replace the used shower gels/body lotions, and some days we were left without any hand towels! A couple of times I asked the ladies from housekeeping for extra towels when I saw them in the hallway, and it was a big deal to give me an extra towel! Also our hairdryer stopped working 3 times. It turned out that it kept tripping the switch, so someone from maintenance had to come up each time and fix it as the box was in a locked room in the hallway.

On our first morning we decided to go to the beach as it was so nice and there was a lovely warm breeze there. Ricky from Watersports came over to us straight away and set us up with sunbeds and towels which was great! The sunbeds on the beach are fantastic as they have built in adjustable shades and are really comfortable. However we noticed that they don't take in the sunbed cushions overnight at all and we thought they were a bit grubby. They dry off quickly after rain so I reckon they are coated in plastic and it doesn't actually soak into the cushion itself. We went to the pool a couple of other days but we found it much hotter up there as there is less of a breeze, and the sunbeds were not as comfortable, they all have a groove/hollow in the seat of the chair and they are inclined on the back, so you can't lie flat. Families with small kids tend to stay around the pool more so be prepared to get the odd splash :)

Every week the hotel posted a timetable of activities under our door - every day had the usual shuttle buses to Bridgetown and Limegrove but then in the afternoons there were different activities scheduled. I passed by the Chelonia courtyard one afternoon and saw a woman giving the Mixology demo (as scheduled), but two other days there was a Cake Decorating class and a Cookery School scheduled, which I went to, but they never happened.
There was also supposed to be games organised on the beach - like football and cricket, but I never once saw it happening! I got the impression that if someone turned up at the specified time and asked one of the watersports guys if Beach Cricket was happening, that they might set it up - but there was definitely nothing formally organised.
Even though all of Captain Sam's crew were really nice guys, most of their job seemed to be moving around sunbeds for people and then having chats in between!! (Why can't I have a job like that, hanging around the beach all day?!)
Some days they would take out a little catamaran for a quick ride around the area, but you had to book it in advance, and they couldn't bring it out if the waves were too rough, so unfortunately I never got to go on it!
Damian and Maradona in their yellow polo shirts go around the pool and the beach with drinks and sometimes ice lollies and fresh fruit!

As for the food, if you are expecting fine dining - this is not the place for you! The breakfasts were fine, but we did notice a lack of fresh fruit - they only had melons and pineapple - no strawberries or mangos or kiwis or anything like that. However the waffle station was great, as long as you remembered to spray the iron before pouring on the batter (or be prepared for your waffle to be stuck to the iron!). We ate lunch most days at the Waterfront, again, it was fine, but it gets very repetitive when you are there every day. The fruit flan they had for dessert there was really nice though! It gets very busy though so be prepared to wait up to 10 minutes for your drink order to arrive!

For dinner they usually have at least one buffet option - Asiagos is always alá carte so you need to make a reservation for there. Then usually Chelonia and Waterfront alternate with having a buffet or alá carte menu.

What they didn't tell us until the middle of our second day was that if you want to have an alá carte dinner that night, you need to book it when you arrive down for breakfast that morning. A couple of times we got stuck with a reservation at 9pm, which was quite late when we were still a bit jetlagged! Again, when you're there for more than a week the menus get very repetitive, and because it's all inclusive, you're not as inclined to go outside the hotel to dine.
We dined in Asiagos one evening, it was nice enough, but there wasn't much atmosphere there. Also they told us in the morning that they could only give us a booking for 9pm, but when we arrived up slightly early at 8.45pm, they showed us right to our table, and only about half the tables in the restaurant were occupied - we figured it must have been due to staffing issues that they could only give us the late booking.
Most of the waiters in the restaurants were very friendly and attentive - we only had one incident where we had a disgruntled waitress who basically avoided our table and took about half an hour to fill one (tiny) wine glass. Unfortunately she wasn't wearing a nametag so we couldn't say anything about it afterwards. Apart from her all the staff we encountered were lovely - Rico, Dakarai, Leah, Dianne, Michele, Hilary to name just a few!!

The only strange thing I noticed about the dining situation was that when you arrived at the restaurant, they would take your room number and write down the time that you arrived at! I couldn't figure out what the purpose of this was - unless they were collecting large amounts of data on the times people liked to dine at to do some sort of analysis to improve their service - I don't know why they had to write down the time!!

The entertainment in the evenings was quite good as well for a hotel - one night there was a steel band who played loads of brilliant tunes like YMCA, My Girl, Hey Jude and loads of other well known favourites like that. I would have loved to have seen them again but they were only there 1 night in our two weeks. The three piece girl band called Virgo were also quite entertaining - partly because of their gaudy outfits and partly because they were the only band who were able to get a good crowd out dancing! Also kudos to the lead singer for learning all the words to Gangnam Style! Whether she knows what she's actually saying or not is another thing! :)

While the all-inclusive option is great when it comes to ordering drinks and not having to worry about what size of a tab you've racked up over your holiday - it gets boring when it comes to the food.

Apart from chilling out in the hotel, we also went on a catamaran trip which was amazing - we went with Calabaza, there were 12 of us on the boat and the crew were so helpful and attentive and knowledgeable, I just can't recommend it enough! And also it's incredible seeing those big sea turtles up close!

We also went to St Nicholas Abbey and the Andromeda Gardens another day which was lovely and we took the hotel shuttle to Bridgetown and Limegrove on two different mornings.
We went to Oistins one of the Friday nights which I loved, but my 60-odd year old father was not too impressed with (due to the sheer volume of the music playing morning than anything), so we came back home relatively early!

On Sunday mornings in Chelonia Courtyard they also have some local craftspeople selling handmade jewellery and pottery. I got a lovely necklace and earrings but I would advise you to haggle as much as you can! :)

All in all, I really enjoyed my holiday but I felt the negative points I highlighted above were worth mentioning because I don't think the hotel is a true 5 star resort - but as I read in a previous review here - you must remember that a 5 star in the Caribbean is NOT the same as a 5 star in the US! I would definitiely love to visit Barbados again but I'm not sure if I would come back to Turtle Beach.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
5 Thank AislingWalsh
Telford, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 31, 2013

Stayed at this hotel for our Honeymoon and received a very warm welcome. We were greeted with a cold rum punch and a beer and allowed to relax in the lobby while they checked us in. Room spacious and clean with amazing sea view. Food good but repetitive and lacked the variety we have had on other holidays. Drinks selection amazing, particularly the cocktails. The ground were well kept and beach was beautiful. Pool area lovely but far too many children for it to be relaxing. Bar staff very friendly, waiting staff varied.

Staff at the beach excellent, couldn't do enough for you and the beach ambassador service was fantastic - cold drinks delivered to your sun bed. Good selection of watersports although we didn't try any as the sea was too rough.

We visited Mount Gay which was rather disappointing. Would definitely recommend a trip to Harrison's Cave with Coconut Tours - Theodore our driver was friendly and does a mean rum punch and a very tasty coconut bread.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank 13GarethJo
Reviewed May 31, 2013

The entertainment is dire, finishes at 10.30 pm. IM ON HOLIDAY. The music was rihanna constantly during the day, I now despise her voice.
Lots of people here who think they have lots of money but obviously don't .
The food was very bland and boring and after one week, I was seriously struggling . Especially since we had a week to go.
The al a carte restaurant AGIOS was tooo damned hot. Needs proper air con.
The staff are treated appallingly and I just don't like how people from the developed world become very comfortable with treating people like under dogs.
Will I go agin. No way !
Third time to Barbados and this was he worse

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank OlDham234
TracessYarde, Guest Relations Manager at Turtle Beach by Elegant Hotels, responded to this review, August 28, 2013
Dear Reviewer: Thank you for taking the time to post a review about your stay at Turtle Beach Resort. We are sorry that we did not meet your expectations. We do understand that guests have different preferences; therefore we would find some guests who prefer entertainment to end late, whereas there are some who would rather it ended early. We do try to find a middle ground and accommodate each guest as best as we can. We have noted your suggestion to install air conditioning in the Asiagos Restaurant and measures will be taken to ensure an increase in comfort while dining there. Again, thank you for your feedback and we do encourage you to visit us once again.
Bedford, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 30, 2013

After a dodgy start in a room which was a bit dark and damp the hotel moved us to a new room without delay and was worth the hassle of having to repack and unpack a day after getting here. Having read some of the recent reviews and I can understand some of the frustrations of having to wait for your drinks but hey you are on bajan time. Staff super friendly nothing too much trouble, this includes beach staff Captain Sam and his team who make sure your day on the beach is relaxed and enjoyable. Food in the buffet caters for everyone though can be a little bland so make sure you eat in the waterfront or Italian to vary it. Felt totally relaxed after our weeks stay and the setting is brilliant. Be warned though that sea isn't calm and waves strong, great for boogie boarding though.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank alan N
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dover
Ocean Two Resort & Residences
#10 of 51 in Christ Church Parish
Sandals Barbados
Sandals Barbados
#4 of 8 in St. Lawrence Gap

Been to Turtle Beach by Elegant Hotels? Share your experiences!