The welcome we received on arrival, was superb. Bell Boy, Nigel, couldn't be more helpful. A nice rum or fruit punch to welcome us to the hotel. Check in was flawless; take the forms to your room, fill them in and return them when you're next passing! All of the staff were so friendly and took time to chat with you and have a laugh. Herman, at reception, was just full of life and made everyone very welcome.
We booked an Ocean View room, 3rd floor; well, it might as well have been an Ocean Front room with the fantastic view we had. The bed was very comfortable and all other amenities were on hand, TV, fridge, safe, iron, hair dryer, tea & coffee making, free Wi-Fi in the room, around the hotel and on the beach! (So nice to stay at a hotel geared for the 21st century.)
Three restaurants in the hotel but only two out of the three open each evening on an alternating basis; you reserve a table of your choice at whatever restaurant at breakfast time each morning. Both the main restaurants, the Chelonia and the Waterfront are fine. We preferred the Waterfront. The Italian restaurant, the Asiagos, was very nice, excellent service. There's breakfast, lunch, afternoon tea and sandwiches and dinner, so you shouldn't go hungry.
With threel swimming pools and a jacuzzi, pool lovers should be well satisfied; if not there's always the ocean. A little bit rough at times compared to the west coast, but once you were in, it was lovely. Captain Sam and his crew are on hand at the beach to help you with any water sports, take out a Jet Ski for US$60 per ½ hour. Sunbeds on the beach were very comfortable, nice thick mattresses and sunshades. Oh, and not forgetting little Maradona, who comes round regularly serving ice cold drinks; he may be the smallest guy in the hotel but he has the biggest smile! Other than that, just order up at the bar for as many drinks as you like. Coke, lemonade, etc, is on free vend from the machine. I think you would be hard pressed to say you didn't like this hotel; there is nothing wrong with it whatsoever, and I would have no qualms about returning here again.
As always, there are improvements that could be made and these are only my observations and certainly not criticisms. The material on a lot of the sunbeds around the pool has stretched a bit leaving a big dip in the middle of the bed; however, putting two mattresses on makes it much more comfortable. It would have been nice to have a small drinks table at the side of the sunbeds.
The food, although excellently cooked and presented, was a little bit too Bajan for me personally; could have been a bit more International. The Italian Restaurant had the same menu for the whole 10 ten days we were there and could have been a bit more 'Italian' in its choice of dishes.
As I said these are only observations and will not detract from you having an excellent time.
A short walk from the hotel is St Lawrence Gap ("The Gap"). Unfortunately, this area is not the lively hot spot it used to be; sadly, it has lost a lot of its charm.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- "A vibrant blend of contemporary style and informal elegance." A truly magnificent all-inclusive property of 161 rooms situated on a glorious stretch of the south coast of Barbados. Turtle Beach Resort uniquely combines contemporary style, informal elegance, lively atmosphere and a superb range of facilities suitable for all ages, including a supervised kids Club (for children aged 4-12) setting new standards for all-inclusive holidays to the Caribbean. Complimentary WiFi. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Travelocity, Hotwire, getaroom.com, Cancelon and TripOnline SA so you can book your Turtle Beach by Elegant Hotels reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Turtle Beach By Elegant Hotel Dover
- Turtle Beach Barbados
- Turtle Beach Resort Barbados
- Hotel Turtle Beach
- Turtle Beach By Elegant Hotels Barbados/Dover