“You will enjoy the experience!”

Turtle Beach by Elegant Hotels
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Dover
Reviewed January 25, 2013

The welcome we received on arrival, was superb. Bell Boy, Nigel, couldn't be more helpful. A nice rum or fruit punch to welcome us to the hotel. Check in was flawless; take the forms to your room, fill them in and return them when you're next passing! All of the staff were so friendly and took time to chat with you and have a laugh. Herman, at reception, was just full of life and made everyone very welcome.
We booked an Ocean View room, 3rd floor; well, it might as well have been an Ocean Front room with the fantastic view we had. The bed was very comfortable and all other amenities were on hand, TV, fridge, safe, iron, hair dryer, tea & coffee making, free Wi-Fi in the room, around the hotel and on the beach! (So nice to stay at a hotel geared for the 21st century.)
Three restaurants in the hotel but only two out of the three open each evening on an alternating basis; you reserve a table of your choice at whatever restaurant at breakfast time each morning. Both the main restaurants, the Chelonia and the Waterfront are fine. We preferred the Waterfront. The Italian restaurant, the Asiagos, was very nice, excellent service. There's breakfast, lunch, afternoon tea and sandwiches and dinner, so you shouldn't go hungry.
With threel swimming pools and a jacuzzi, pool lovers should be well satisfied; if not there's always the ocean. A little bit rough at times compared to the west coast, but once you were in, it was lovely. Captain Sam and his crew are on hand at the beach to help you with any water sports, take out a Jet Ski for US$60 per ½ hour. Sunbeds on the beach were very comfortable, nice thick mattresses and sunshades. Oh, and not forgetting little Maradona, who comes round regularly serving ice cold drinks; he may be the smallest guy in the hotel but he has the biggest smile! Other than that, just order up at the bar for as many drinks as you like. Coke, lemonade, etc, is on free vend from the machine. I think you would be hard pressed to say you didn't like this hotel; there is nothing wrong with it whatsoever, and I would have no qualms about returning here again.
As always, there are improvements that could be made and these are only my observations and certainly not criticisms. The material on a lot of the sunbeds around the pool has stretched a bit leaving a big dip in the middle of the bed; however, putting two mattresses on makes it much more comfortable. It would have been nice to have a small drinks table at the side of the sunbeds.
The food, although excellently cooked and presented, was a little bit too Bajan for me personally; could have been a bit more International. The Italian Restaurant had the same menu for the whole 10 ten days we were there and could have been a bit more 'Italian' in its choice of dishes.
As I said these are only observations and will not detract from you having an excellent time.
A short walk from the hotel is St Lawrence Gap ("The Gap"). Unfortunately, this area is not the lively hot spot it used to be; sadly, it has lost a lot of its charm.

Room Tip: You do need a room higher up for a view of the beach and the sea. We had room 306; it was perfect...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Berkshire-Boys

Reviewed January 22, 2013 via mobile

We returned from 2 weeks in Barbados back in November... I have got to say it did not disappoint.... This was our honeymoon and I would defiantly recommend this resort to others...

The staff were amazing, they could not do enough for us.... Plates and glasses were always full and we were alway met with a smile!!!

I would like to say a huge thank you to damion and collis, who were second to none when it came to customer service!!! Sams crew are hilarious, they made us very welcome and remembered to get me an extra bed for my "stuff" every day :) Ricky has an amazing outlook on life, defo get him to take you out on the cat...

The beach is beautiful... I miss that view of pure paradise... The beach venders have a bit of banter however they aren't pushy....

The rooms are clean and tidy and extremely spacious.... We had a sea and pool view which was perfect....

I loved this resort and we will defiantly return with my son.... Soon!!!!

• Stayed: November 2012
Reviewed January 22, 2013

My husband, 19 year old son and I stayed at Turtle Beach during Thanksgiving week. The resort was recommended to me by a colleague who has stayed here many times. Upon arrival - the outside of the hotel can be a bit deceiving - looks a bit old and could use some updating. But we were pleasantly surprised when we saw our 1 bedroom ocean front suite which was fully renovated, spacious and up to date. Most of the staff was very nice, eager to help and had no attitudes - with the exception of one or two people. The spa was also very nice. I like the fact that this particular resort is a quiet one where if you actually came for some R&R, you can easily obtain it here. They do have water sports and various activities including nightly entertainment which ends pretty early so if you're okay with a resort that does not have 24 hour food and entertainment, then this is the place for you. The food was excellent - there are a few specialty restaurants and the buffet - and the alcoholic drinks are not watered down as I have experienced at most all-inclusive resorts. Our room was clean as was the entire resort. I would definitely stay at this resort again but would state for the record that I think it mostly appeals to the "30 years old and over" crowd or again, those who are just looking for some simple R&R with not a lot of not a lot of things to do. There are no planned activities for little ones (although there was a playground and game room on site), teenagers or young adults (we are in our 40's) who might be looking for a more upbeat, "party" type resort. However, there are lounges, clubs and restaurants all within walking distance from the resort but all in all - I would rate this resort a 10 out of 10!

Room Tip: Go for the one bedroom suites that over look the pool or ocean - nice views and larger balcony.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
7  Thank Patricia G
Reviewed January 21, 2013 via mobile

We arrived at turtle beach last Sunday and was kindly greated with a rum punch to get the holiday started!. From the moment we arrived nothing was touch trouble! my husband had mention we had came to barbados for a special celebration, when taken to our room we had been given champagne on Ice and the bed was decorated beautifully with petals and towel love birds. The hotel had 3 different restaurants which offered very tasteful meals ( The best ever seen in an all inclusive) which was agreed by many couples we spoke to. All the staff where so friendly and couldn't do enough for us. On the Saturday night which was our last night at the hotel .The hotel provided a beach buffet surrounded by tea lights and a band of steal drums this finished off our perfect holiday at turtle beach. Thank you Turtle beach resort for the outstanding service we received at our visit such as the water sports team , swimming pools and entertainment!

• Stayed: January 2013
8  Thank JadeLilly_12
Reviewed January 21, 2013

We stayed at Turtle Beach over the Christmas period and came away with very mixed feelings about the place. I'd agree with those reviewers who have commented about the attitude of the staff. Apart from one or two notable exceptions (housekeeping and concierge) we found many of the hotel employees to be surly and abrupt to the point of rudeness.

As other travellers have mentioned, the food (although plentiful) was rather bland and repetitive and the all-inclusive drinks were of a very poor quality over-all.

During our stay, we spent a very enjoyable day at the sister hotel "Crystal Cove" and this really highlighted the differences for us. The staff there were extremely friendly and helpful and the food was of a far better quality (perhaps because the hotel was much smaller.) If we ever travel to Barbados again, I think we'll opt for this hotel or another on the more tranquil West Coast.

On the positive side, the rooms at Turtle Beach were clean and comfortable, the view from our Oceanfront suite was amazing and the beach was picture-perfect. We took a catamaran trip and felt very privileged to be able to swim alongside turtles and overall, we enjoyed a memorable Christmas in the Caribbean! It was just a shame that the staff and the food quality let this hotel down and for this reason we would not return here or recommend it to others.

Room Tip: An oceanfront room on the first or second floor commands outstanding views and is well worth paying...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank mostlyharmless71
Reviewed January 13, 2013

this was my third time at turtle beach and i never thought it could get any better but it was.me and my brother arived on the 20th of dec,we arived at the reception area greeted with a drink and treated like familly and saying hello to old freinds.we were taken to our room which was ocean view,on arival to our room there was a bottle of champayne on ice which went down very well,thank you rylan very nice of you.over the past three visits to turtle beach me and my brother have made many freinds and today have become very close freinds there was about 18 of us to meet up at christmas and new year,to my surprise there were many more that chose turtle beach for ther christmas and new year which was nice to see.the managment staff are more than welcomeing they are there 24hrs for you any thing you want they do there best i would like to say a very speacial thank you to olivia who gave me and nikki a lovely night out at daphnes thank you olivia.there are three restraunts at turtle beach which you get to choose which one you would like to dine from i could not recemend as they are all fantastic the food on all three are second to none.on christmas day there was another bottle of champayne at our room and presents on our beds from the hotel which was lovely.i hear peaple go on about sun beds let me say thid the hotel was fully booked and there was still loads of sunbeds left.the catering staff were second to none the hotel was fully booked and they worked so hard makeing sure every one was seen to, so thank you to them.id like to say a big thank you to all the bar staff as well they never stop working makeing sure that you have every thing you want bringing drinks to the sea and swiming pool area.and boxes of fruiet to make sure that you are refreshed.as repeated guests the hotel treated us all to a boat trip swimming with the turtles and seeing a ship wreck and some rum punches what a afternoon that was have never enjoyed my self so much.new years eve was so speacial the staff must have worked so hard it was the best ever bringing in the new year with familly and freinds.again the food was second to none the atmosphire was second to none,and at 12 o clock there was a big fire work display on the beach.i could go on and on how lovely the hotell is and how wonderfull the managment and staff are all i can say is that there is about 24 of us returning to turtle beach this christmas and new year im hopeing to go in july as well with my daughter as its so nice for children as well and i would love her to experince it as she is 10 now if you would like any information on the hotel or the water sports or the island please feel free to e mail me on kingstv1@hotmail.co.uk kind regards stephen king

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
6  Thank stephen K
Reviewed January 11, 2013

FANTASTIC...as expected! A fabulous holiday for our wedding, with our son as best ma, and daughter as bridesmaid...nothing tacky, simple, perfect and just gorgeous! A party of 11, they were brilliant! We ALL enjoyed our stay, pleased we went in June and not July (apparently, when we left some family members said it got busy) not suprised, as the setting, the beach and the staff all 100%! Top marks for the kds club..our children loved it so much, they even begged to go during the day before we got married in the afternoon! All wedding arrangements were so simple, no fuss and totally organised, we didn' want too much silly fuss! Food, drink was wonderful, attention to detail, perfect. The sister hotel on the other side of the island was tooo hot, the breze at turtle beach made the high temps bearable min june/july. 100%.

Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
8  Thank samantha p
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dover
Yellow Bird Hotel
Crystal Cove by Elegant Hotels
Crystal Cove by Elegant Hotels
#7 of 26 in Saint James Parish
Waves Hotel & Spa by Elegant Hotels
Waves Hotel & Spa by Elegant Hot...
#4 of 26 in Saint James Parish

Been to Turtle Beach by Elegant Hotels? Share your experiences!