“Wonderful Caribbean Holiday”

Turtle Beach by Elegant Hotels
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Dover
Reviewed April 18, 2012

First time we have travelled to Barbados, and it got off to a fantastic start with only 145 people on our flight! It takes 30 mins max to get to hotel from the airport.

On our arrival we were offered a cocktail or beer and water for the children, we sat in a lovely air conditioned spacious lobby whilst we were checked in.

The hotel is wonderfully kept, I absolutely couldn't fault the up keep of the hotel. Every single day the pools are cleaned and the water tested, all common areas are kept very clean and tidy.

Our rooms were big with a large bathroom with a separate area for ablutions, lots of wardrobe space and drawers. We had a suite, with the living area converted into a bedroom, as the room was so big this didn't feel cramped in any way. We had magnificent view and a very good sized balcony. Both bedrooms had large flat screen TVs, and the mini bar was comp, and re stocked every day with soft drinks and beer, we also had fresh canapes in our room every evening. The pools are a good size, there is a toddlers pool, large kids pool, adults pool, and a large jacuzzi for adults only.

I celebrated my birthday at the hotel, and the staff bent over backwards to make my birthday really special, they organised a delicious cake, my friends( from another hotel) joined my family for lovely lunch on the sand under a marquee. (My friends payed a day rate).

Everyday staff came round to the pool areas and the beach with complimentary fresh fruit salads, ice lollies for the children and there was always a member of staff coming round with trays of drinks, cocktails, soft drinks and beers.

The buffet food needs a rethink, it would have been nice to have seen some fresh grilled fish, seafood and steaks on the menu occasionally. Often lunch was much better than dinner.

We never use children's clubs on holiday, so the only experience we have is that the children were made to feel very welcome to use the park they have in the children's club and to play table tennis whenever they want too. The babysitting service is excellent as the babysitters are the staff from the children's club.

The beach is absolutely amazing everything you want in a Caribbean beach, white sand and turquoise sea!, the beach is very well kept and Captain Sam runs a tight ship. I felt my children were safe at the hotel, and we allowed them a little freedom to wander around by themselves which they loved! There is lots of staff around and security too. As with many other Caribbean countries it is still a little old fashioned, so please and thank you go a very long way indeed especially from the children. We found the staff to be very friendly and helpful, but we had no complaints as we found everything perfect. The entertainment in the evening was mixed, we saw a fashion show, the usual girl trios belting out the hits, traditional dancing and limbo dancers, all good cheesy fun!

We stayed for 10 days, and we found it to be good value for money, holidaying in the Caribbean is not cheap, however I think this hotel provides a very good all inclusive Caribbean holiday experience. This hotel is especially good for children - as the day starts early, it wasn't unusual to see families in the pool at 7 am!

We cannot wait to return next year!

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank Gracie Y

Reviewed April 17, 2012

The hotel general areas are very tired and could do with a complete refit. The majority of staff are quite surly and not warm and keen to serve. Good point to remember is to book the restaurant the day before or you may struggle to get the time you want. The hotel needs to have a buffet option to run daily for more flexibility.
The only exceptions I would rate as above average are the a la carte restaurants, the gym & the guys at the beach. Room maid service is appalling, almost every day something was missing from the room and I need to contact housekeeping for the items.
Overpriced and a bit shabby.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank H__Jane__B__
Reviewed April 16, 2012

First time all inclusive and this was a great place to do it. Facilities, food, location was excellent and we had a great holiday

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank PeterTReading
Reviewed April 16, 2012

We stayed at the Turtle Beach hotel for a week (7th-14th April) with our 3 year old son. This is a difficult feedback to write as the hotel itself was not outrageously poor but equally does not show up well at all on a relative value basis - particularly when compared to what we experienced in the Middle East where for a slightly higher amount of money you get the royal treatment in an out of this world resort. I shall start with the positives.

Key Positive : Captain Sam & team. These are exceptionally friendly, competent, thoughtful and diligent individuals that make the beach area a real pleasure to go to. They are very good and entice you and your family to use them so you can enjoy your time at the beach. With them, there is something for everyone and no problem that does not find a quick solution.

Other Positives : Customer activities. Efficient bookings and good recommendations

Key negative : The food. Very poor choice, bland taste, not good. My school cantine was better and that is saying a lot. We ended up going to outside restaurants so we could have real food. Frankly, being in this part of the world and not having freshly squeezed orange juice for breakfast is not pardonnable.

Other negatives:
Rooms: Our room was tired and the bathroom just had a tiny shower tub befitting a motel. Our son slept on the sofabed and I wish he had had a real bed and us a real sofa area. I found room service being generally good.

Kids Club : Supposed to be one of the key positives. My wife and another mother got turned away when they wanted to leave their children in the care of the kids' club. I complained to the front desk, which came up with an excuse missing the point. The bottom line is that the staff needs to make you feel welcome to leave your children in their care. My recommendation is that They should all go for a two day training with Captain Sam.

Night entertainment : Apologies to be a party pooper but this was too loud and too late at night... and a nightly occurence. After a day at the beach, I want me and my family to rest not be treated to yelping artists till 10 at night. I have the foxes at night in London for that thank you very much.

Nor positive nor negative : Service. A strange one and reading from other comments I feel like this is something in transition. I feel that Some individuals clearly come from other hotels and have been hired to adress a deteriorating situation. That is for the best so keep it on. The results for the time being are mixed as some of the staff are more driven by a mix of fear and reluctance than by a genuine desire to be agreable in meeting requests.

Overall and again, not a poor experience but I was expecting something better than this for the cost.

Stayed: April 2012
2  Thank Agrippa1
TracessYarde, Guest Relations Manager at Turtle Beach by Elegant Hotels, responded to this reviewResponded August 28, 2013

Dear Reviewer: Thank you for taking the time to post a review about your stay at the Turtle Beach Resort. We sincerely apologize that although we did excel in certain areas, we were unable to meet all of your expectations. With respect to your son having to sleep on the sofa bed, please note that only the One-Bedroom Suites and the Deluxe Junior Suites can accommodate an extra bed in the room and still maintain its comfort. We have noted your disappointment with the food and beverages at the resort and assure you that since your visit we have increased menu choices as well as adding a wider variety of flavors. Again, thank you for your feedback and your suggestions will be noted for future improvement at the resort. We do encourage you to return to the resort sometime in the near future.

Reviewed April 15, 2012

We went to Turtle Beach last year and we thoroughly enjoyed our 2 week holiday. The only issues we found were lacks in dress code on evenings, slightly limited evening dinner choices and no air conditioning in the restaurant. Captain Sam and his crew were amazing and they couldn't do enough for you. Overall, we found our holiday very enjoyable and would highly recommend Turtle Beach to anyone wanting a relaxing holiday.

Room Tip: Sea view would be highly recommended.
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank ASLN_12
Reviewed April 14, 2012

It is presently my last day of my 9-day stay w/ my husband and 2 boys (6 & 4 years old).
We got here April 5th and are leaving today on April 14th.

What made our stay somewhat bearable was the magnificent beach, the beautiful view from our beach front room (#441) and the outstanding kids club, that everyone that is here is continuously raving about and also very friendly staff (with some exception).

This hotel needs MAJOR renovation or need to bring their prices down RAPIDLY.

The bed we slept has broken springs, the AC unit blows right in my face while sleeping so I kept on turning it on and off through out night which resulted in me getting really ill and now sitting in my room w/ a cold and earache in 30 C weather.

After staying here for 7 days I had to ask housekeeping to change sheets because they hadn't changed them yet.
Once room is cleaned, towels is something that is ofter forgotten to reload and when you call and ask for them to bring some to your room....let's just say; I ended up having to go to reception at 11 pm and ask where I could go get them myself.
There is a ridiculous amount of dust in the room, I asked housekeeping to dust it off but that didn't happen either.

There are two pools on the resort; I would be there from 8 am to 5pm with an occasional back-and-forth to the beach. THE POOL WAS NEVER CLEANED! As the days passed the sand in there accumulated, the popsicle stains from random kids 5 days prior are still around pool which indicates the pool grounds have never been rinsed. Cigarette butts accumulating in the grass around the pool because there are no ashtrays and no one to pick them up. I caught some kids playing with the cigarette butts in the grass. The only thing they would pick up was the empty plastic cups.

All and all my trip was bearable but the price I paid for my 9 days was not even close to be worth it. This is a 3-star resort and I would have been OK with that if I had paid accordingly.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank MrsMacchi

Dear Reviewer: Thank you for taking the time to post a review about your stay at Turtle Beach Resort. We are truly sorry that we did not meet your expectations. We perform ongoing maintenance in our rooms, so please accept our apologies that these problems were allowed to occur. We have since put measures in place to ensure more detailed inspections and maintenance of rooms on a regular basis. We pride ourselves in our routinely high level of service, and will be sure to utilize your feedback about our service and grounds, to prevent similar issues for guests in the future. Do let us know if you plan to visit us again as it would be our commitment to grasp any opportunity to make up for your disappointment.

Reviewed April 13, 2012

Not even sure how to start. Was so worried after reading so many poor/negative reviews.
From the minute we stepped off from the airport we were greeted by a member of staff to welcome us and tell us were to wait for our transfer and given a bottle of water (booked with Kenwood Travel-highly recommend).

Throughout the whole stay the staff were incredibly helpful, friendly and made sure you had everything you needed for an amazing stay.

The rooms are spacious, beautiful with fresh decore. All facilities needed were included i.e. iron, hair dryer, coffee machine, ipod dock and good air conditioning.
The only thing missing was a kettle, I love my tea. But an open area with hot water and tea was available 24hours.

The pool area was flawless, lots of sun loungers, large pool and amazing hot tub!

The food was brilliant, great selection, theme nights every evening. But for a more "sophisticated" taste you could book at two other restaurants for menu meal rather than buffet style.

We booked an excursion from a man on the beach for "jammin boats". This included a day trip on the sea with lunch provided. Snorkelled with green sea turtles...this was a dream come true!

The beach team are just faultless, so helpful. Lots of water sports to check out, comfortable sun loungers.
The sea was a little rough but still warm and beautiful to swim in.

If you have kids this place is perfect, they have a brilliant kids section (from what we could see). Pool table and table tennis area. The kids seemed busy all the time with activities and staff that I wanted to join in :)

Highly recommended, this place is truly like paradise. Having set that the only draw back is that it is very expensive to stay there now.
The price has shot up from when we went December 2011 paid £1300 all inclusive and transfers. I would go back in a heart beat just seems a bit more now £1500+

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dover
Ocean Two Resort & Residences
#8 of 26 in Saint James Parish
Bougainvillea Beach Resort
Bougainvillea Beach Resort
#11 of 51 in Christ Church Parish

Been to Turtle Beach by Elegant Hotels? Share your experiences!