“A nice, relaxing holiday”

Turtle Beach by Elegant Hotels
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Dover
Reviewed April 15, 2012

We went to Turtle Beach last year and we thoroughly enjoyed our 2 week holiday. The only issues we found were lacks in dress code on evenings, slightly limited evening dinner choices and no air conditioning in the restaurant. Captain Sam and his crew were amazing and they couldn't do enough for you. Overall, we found our holiday very enjoyable and would highly recommend Turtle Beach to anyone wanting a relaxing holiday.

Room Tip: Sea view would be highly recommended.
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank ASLN_12
Write a ReviewReviews (2,784)

Reviewed April 14, 2012

It is presently my last day of my 9-day stay w/ my husband and 2 boys (6 & 4 years old).
We got here April 5th and are leaving today on April 14th.

What made our stay somewhat bearable was the magnificent beach, the beautiful view from our beach front room (#441) and the outstanding kids club, that everyone that is here is continuously raving about and also very friendly staff (with some exception).

This hotel needs MAJOR renovation or need to bring their prices down RAPIDLY.

The bed we slept has broken springs, the AC unit blows right in my face while sleeping so I kept on turning it on and off through out night which resulted in me getting really ill and now sitting in my room w/ a cold and earache in 30 C weather.

After staying here for 7 days I had to ask housekeeping to change sheets because they hadn't changed them yet.
Once room is cleaned, towels is something that is ofter forgotten to reload and when you call and ask for them to bring some to your room....let's just say; I ended up having to go to reception at 11 pm and ask where I could go get them myself.
There is a ridiculous amount of dust in the room, I asked housekeeping to dust it off but that didn't happen either.

There are two pools on the resort; I would be there from 8 am to 5pm with an occasional back-and-forth to the beach. THE POOL WAS NEVER CLEANED! As the days passed the sand in there accumulated, the popsicle stains from random kids 5 days prior are still around pool which indicates the pool grounds have never been rinsed. Cigarette butts accumulating in the grass around the pool because there are no ashtrays and no one to pick them up. I caught some kids playing with the cigarette butts in the grass. The only thing they would pick up was the empty plastic cups.

All and all my trip was bearable but the price I paid for my 9 days was not even close to be worth it. This is a 3-star resort and I would have been OK with that if I had paid accordingly.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank MrsMacchi
TracessYarde, Guest Relations Manager at Turtle Beach by Elegant Hotels, responded to this reviewResponded August 28, 2013

Dear Reviewer: Thank you for taking the time to post a review about your stay at Turtle Beach Resort. We are truly sorry that we did not meet your expectations. We perform ongoing maintenance in our rooms, so please accept our apologies that these problems were allowed to occur. We have since put measures in place to ensure more detailed inspections and maintenance of rooms on a regular basis. We pride ourselves in our routinely high level of service, and will be sure to utilize your feedback about our service and grounds, to prevent similar issues for guests in the future. Do let us know if you plan to visit us again as it would be our commitment to grasp any opportunity to make up for your disappointment.

Reviewed April 13, 2012

Not even sure how to start. Was so worried after reading so many poor/negative reviews.
From the minute we stepped off from the airport we were greeted by a member of staff to welcome us and tell us were to wait for our transfer and given a bottle of water (booked with Kenwood Travel-highly recommend).

Throughout the whole stay the staff were incredibly helpful, friendly and made sure you had everything you needed for an amazing stay.

The rooms are spacious, beautiful with fresh decore. All facilities needed were included i.e. iron, hair dryer, coffee machine, ipod dock and good air conditioning.
The only thing missing was a kettle, I love my tea. But an open area with hot water and tea was available 24hours.

The pool area was flawless, lots of sun loungers, large pool and amazing hot tub!

The food was brilliant, great selection, theme nights every evening. But for a more "sophisticated" taste you could book at two other restaurants for menu meal rather than buffet style.

We booked an excursion from a man on the beach for "jammin boats". This included a day trip on the sea with lunch provided. Snorkelled with green sea turtles...this was a dream come true!

The beach team are just faultless, so helpful. Lots of water sports to check out, comfortable sun loungers.
The sea was a little rough but still warm and beautiful to swim in.

If you have kids this place is perfect, they have a brilliant kids section (from what we could see). Pool table and table tennis area. The kids seemed busy all the time with activities and staff that I wanted to join in :)

Highly recommended, this place is truly like paradise. Having set that the only draw back is that it is very expensive to stay there now.
The price has shot up from when we went December 2011 paid £1300 all inclusive and transfers. I would go back in a heart beat just seems a bit more now £1500+

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 10, 2012

Didn't expect such great service having tripped to Carribean resorts before - but proven completely wrong. Michelle the Restaurant Manager was the simply the best weve ever come across. Great kids club for our 6 yr old. Our 11 and 12 yr olds were kept busy with Randall who organised a variety of events for all the older kids with beach Olympics, footy, cricket etc. he even gave our 11 yr old a private boxing lesson in the gym at one point. Captain Sam was great too with welcoming the kids and getting them doing the watersports . Entertainment was every night too which was great. Albeit some dodgy singing at times ! ;) Really chilled out and friendly resort and we never EVER go to the same resort - but We Might......I say Might ....just comeback to this one !

• Stayed: April 2012
2  Thank nigehall10
Reviewed April 9, 2012

Just spent 10 days at this hotel and had a fantastic time. The rooms are a good size (worth upgrading to an ocean front room), the food is excellent in all three restaurants (mixture of buffet and a la carte depending on the night), and the staff are happy to help out with anything, resolving any problems immediately.

A special mention has to go to the watersports guys who do a fantastic job of looking after you on the beach, and to Maradona and the others who deliver drinks, lollies etc straight to your sunbed.

Lovely island and more importantly some of the friendliest people you will ever be lucky enough to meet. We hired a car for a couple of days and travelled round the island with no problems - everyone we met was happy to chat and offer help if needed.

JUST BOOK IT!! You will not be disappointed. Just hope we are lucky enough to return very soon.

Room Tip: Ocean Front Rooms give you a fantastic view. Truly paradise!
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank AztecLife
Reviewed April 7, 2012

Turtle Beach stepped in when we were badly let down by the hotel we pre booked. They saved our bacon. Excellent service and helpful, friendly staff in a good location. I would stay there again...it is a great family location. Be careful walking down to the Gap...Taxi recommended.

Stayed: March 2012
2  Thank mcfcok7750
Reviewed April 6, 2012

From the boys at the front door to Captain Sam and his team on the beach, our return to Turtle Beach was a thorough pleasure. We returned at the end of February for a three week stay having visited twice before. The service and attention to detail was fantastic from the restaurant and bar staff and we look forward to returning again next year.

Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Shirley G
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dover
Hilton Barbados Resort
#2 of 9 in Hastings
Sandals Barbados
Sandals Barbados
#4 of 8 in St. Lawrence Gap

Been to Turtle Beach by Elegant Hotels? Share your experiences!