“Decent Stay”

Hilton Barbados Resort
Canada
“Decent Stay”
Reviewed March 18, 2010

My wife and I just returned from spending a few days at the Hilton Barbados and overall we were satisfied. The room we had seemed to have recently been renovated (One bedroom suite) and was decent, but not necessarily what we would have expected for close to $500 USD per night, perhaps closer to $200-300 range (but it is Barbados) and we were knowingly competing with other currencies, particularly GBP, which is much stronger.

The beach was nice, but the surf was a bit choppy so if you have kids, not the best spot, bu the bay is very close where the waters are much calmer. The pool was decent and the restaurants likewise where decent, but nothing special. I knew from the reviews of the resort that service would not be amazing, and it was not. But, I do have to say it was better than we had anticipated.

I am not sure we would stay at this resort when we return to Barbados (and we will!), but given a better rate, likely we would strongly consider it.

1 Thank marcvtec

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (800)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Wargrave
Reviewed March 17, 2010

We stayed at the Hilton for 2 weeks with our 3 1/2 year old and 10 month old sons. The suite we had was incredibly spacious (propbably one of the largest we have stayed anywhere in the world) with truely superb views f the beach and the pool area. The rooms were well cleaned every day with a turndown service in the evening.

The staff were excellent with the children and they were made ot feel special on a daily basis by numerous members of staff. Service on the whole was good to excellent ( you will always have someone who is having a bad day).

The pools and beach were great for adults and children alike. Although the sea was rough you had to venture a far distance out before it became an issue and the children happily played on the beach and in the sea every day we were there. They did not swim in the sea but wave jumping was a hit! The pools were great for swimming for all ages and abilities.

The Grille restaurant was excellent but the only down side to the hotel was the Lighthouse resturant menu which was not great and very overpriced (Hilton family trait!). The buffet nights were not bad. The childrens menu was limited and not very healthy but the staff when asked accomodated requests for other food. The breakfast however was excellent and the poolside food was okay if a little pricey.

The Hotel is in a great location close to Bridgetown and a short transfer from the airport. Lovely beach and within wlaking distance of a couple of nice resturants and a few shops. Also a short cab ride from the famous Fish Fry..

Overall apart from the food the holiday and the hotel were brilliant. We are glad we chose the HIlton and would go back.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank wargravetraveller
NJ
Reviewed March 16, 2010

We stayed at Barbados Hilton first week in March 2010 and I was extremely disappointed with the service considering the price point of this Hilton (approx $500 US dollars/night for an oceanfront room (two double beds).

Before I launch into the problems we encountered, I will say overall that the rooms were well sized, very neat, clean, and tastefully decorated. The location was very nice, the beach was pristine, and the views were gorgeous. I would say the biggest problem we had was the overall poor attitude and lack of motivation of the staff as a whole. Barely anyone went out of their way to make our stay better or pleasant with one exception, at the front Desk Andrea – she was truly great.

Negatives:
No free Wifi. I was instructed you had to pay $15/day for internet access. If there was free wifi in the lounge, as others have noted on this site, the hotel failed to mention it to me.

Beds were extremely firm, to the point that I had to wake up and take advil in the night. My friends also complained of backaches and hip pain for the same reason.

Housekeeping routinely did not put enough towels in the room, completely forgot hand towels, washcloths and bath matt on 3/5 nights we stayed there. We asked for caffeine free tea in the room – never received it.

No refrigerator in room to store leftover foods, water bottles etc. Also, ice bucket was so extremely small that we had to keep running down the hall to refill it.

TV blips in and out, phones were scratchy and keep hanging up.

HOTEL IN GENERAL:

Food at the hotel was overpriced and just okay at best. If you can, eat elsewhere.

No place to grab a quick breakfast on the go. You either have to do a sit-down $25 brunch or sit down ala-carte in a restaurant. There is absolutely no place to grab a quick muffin, coffee, etc.

Pool/hot tub area closes at 9pm. We had hoped to sit in the hot tub after dinner, only to be told that it was closed and monitored by video so that no one could go in it.

The concierge left early, did not know of any local bars/nightlife other than “The Gap” (it was the taxi driver, other guests, etc who gave us input on where to go).

In the elevators I encountered staff grumbling and complaining about their job/supervisor which no one wants to encounter on their own vacation.

Surf so rough, red flag was up most days in the water.

You are charged a fee to print your boarding passes in their business center. Most hotels I stay in provide a courtesy computer for this purpose.

IN sum, it was a beautiful island with many nice places to stay. It appears the Hilton sacrifices quality of service to accommodate quantity on terms of guests. I would suggest you stay somewhere else.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with friends
2 Thank emailmeherenj
Atlanta
Reviewed March 16, 2010

We spent one week of our honeymoon trip at the Barbados Hilton and had a great experience. We used our Hilton Honors points for the entire duration there! We were spoiled upon our arrival by their generous upgrade to an ocean view suite and complimentary champagne was waiting in our room. Since we were Hilton Honors members we had entrance to the executive suite each morning for a free continental breakfast, free wireless and each night for a free happy hour drinks and wonderfully yummy hor dourves. By the time we went to dinner both my husband & I were practically stuffed, so we normally ordered an entree to share where ever we went. The Hilton is a quick hop over to St. Lawrence Gap with lots of options for oceanfront dining (two of our favorites we tried were Pisces & the Black Pearl). It is also super close to Brown Sugar, which was recommended by some of the locals - we walked there one evening. We only ate at the hotel restaurants one evening as we wanted to experience the local foods and night life. We decided to eat there when they had the seafood buffet though - the flying fish & plantain sandwich I had was delicious! Only very minimal con I could say was that the hot tub was not very hot when we ventured down one night. There was music and vendors setup one night in the garden on the site...a leisurely and enjoyable stroll at sunset to steel drum music while looking at local crafts with rum punch in hand. The beach was great and the free boogie boards & kayaks for use were super fun. We were told that the Hilton shipped in their own sand in for the beach area, so that was a tiny bit disappointing but did not make a big deal to us. We also enjoyed the sea turtle and ship wreck excursion booked at the on-site place for grabbing your kayaks/boogie boards. The booking was a bit on a smaller, more personal scale than the TIAMI catamaran booking we also took this trip, but both were very enjoyable. I took a tiny bit of the sand home with us and often day dream that we will return in the future. The staff were super, super friendly and they made an unforgettable honeymoon for us. Next time we hope to make it to the Oistins Fish Festival too.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank FSUbeachbumbabe
Chicago
Reviewed March 16, 2010

I stayed at this property during the first week of March with my girlfriend. I am a Hilton diamond member and didnt know what to expect, based on some of the reviews I read. I have never written a review before, but based on what some people wrote, I felt I had to write to help others that are reading these like I was.

The only bad part of the trip was missed flights on the way down and on the way back. American Airlines is absolutely horrible. Upon arrival at the hotel, we were warmly greeted by the staff and given an upgrade. Food was available either free (in the executive lounge) or for $10 US for the buffett - however, both were only for Diamond members. The beach was one of the nicest on the island, and waves were about 8-9 feet high. I played in the waves nearly all day. Food at the hotel was expensive, but then again, it was mostly everywhere. To save us some money, we would split lunch by the pool everyday as the portions were pretty big.

The weather was perfect, 87 everyday, no rain, and a nice consistent breeze. It was probably the nicest weather I've ever experienced. The people there were really friendly and I did not meet anyone that felt threatening in anyway.

The rooms were a bit small, but then again, we were never in the room so that didn't matter. Besides the really expensive hotels on the island (over 2k a night), the Hilton was probably the best bang for the buck. I am now a loyal Hilton member.

2 Thank rtylka81
Wakefield
Reviewed March 15, 2010

Firstly I am not reviewing the Island or Bajans - which respectively is so interesting and breathtaking; and lovely, charming and inspiring in many ways - but felt obliged to review the hotel in respect of the 'Terrible' reviews. We found the hotel to be absolutely lovely; and I have stayed in other hotels, including those in the Hilton family, across Europe and Africa. Our room was stylish, clean (and maintained every day), well stocked and had every convenience - the bed was fabulous but then I do like a firm mattress. The view was beautiful, which cost more but don't most things that are worth more? I could see the refinery/tanks from the corridor view but thought they were part of the charm of the Island. In the UK our refineries are not coloured like sugared almonds and amidst palm trees. The Cemetery is actually a small and discreet, well kept and preserved military resting place; (maybe a cemetery is a place that people may like to visit to pay their respects... Flanders Field, Ypres, Highgate, Pere Lachaise???). The food was absolutely fine, with something to suit almost everybody at breakfast - even a Fruitarian would be spoilt for choice. For example, the 'Egg Station': eggs fried over easy, sunny side up, over hard, omelettes with full eggs or 'just whites' with 'no oil', vegetarian or not, added cheese or not... six pans on the go at the same time cooked to specification and perfection. Yes, the local birds may try to join you on the open terrace that overlooks the ocean. Oooh those naughty doves and blackbirds don't behave like the genteel humming bird does by the pool. And finally... the staff. They are absolutely wonderful. So helpful, kind, courteous and nothing was too much trouble. We heard a saying a number of times on the Island, that if you need help ask anyone - 'people here will always help you' - and the Hilton was no exception: on arrival, Front Desk, Reception, Car Hire, the shops, the Towel Station, the Bar Staff, Room Service, the Restaurant Staff, Maintenance, Cleaning Staff and those on the Beach. The only bad behaviour we experienced was from the odd brattish kid and parents who (whilst relaxing in the jacuzzi pool) didn't know what their ill mannered offspring were up to. At all times the Staff were professional and all smiles. I can only suggest that those who didn't gel with the staff may need a vacation in a time machine back a century or so. Barbados and the Bajans are unreservedly fabulous: well mannered, educated, cultured, interested and interesting and courteous. We were only sad to return to a society that sadly lacks in many of the values held dear on this beautiful Island.

3 Thank Where_er_ye_go
London, UK
Reviewed March 15, 2010

My husband and I spent eight days in Barbados at the beginning of March, 2010, and it was one of the best, if not the very best holiday ever. We stayed at the Hilton and it proved to be a perfectly adequate and satisfactory base. It was a Hilton, with all that that means in terms of American conformity, and it has too many rooms, but it was clean, efficient and comfortable. It is in a beautiful setting, is ideally located to take advantage of the whole island, is architecturally sensible and has the best beach, and sea, anywhere. For the breakfast test, we gave it eight out of ten; for the room and service, six out of ten; for the view and the setting, nine out of ten; and for the pillow test – the number, size and variety of pillows - only four out of ten. Bajans are the friendliest people on earth, inside the hotel and away from it, and the staff made it the good holiday it was. Leanne and Andrea are the stars of the Hilton reception, Pauline a knowledgeable concierge, Richard a quietly helpful chef, and Kenneth an historically-aware bellhop. One word of warning: If, like us, you believe the pleasure of eating comes through the eyes as well as through the taste buds, give the hotel’s swankiest restaurant, the Grille, a miss. It is like entering a funeral parlour….just after the corpse. It is so sepulchral and dark that one cannot see the food, which is, in fact, quite good.. In fact, one cannot even read the menu.

3 Thank Slava
#1 of 4 in Saint Philip Parish
Bougainvillea Beach Resort
Bougainvillea Beach Resort
#10 of 51 in Christ Church Parish

Been to Hilton Barbados Resort? Share your experiences!