“It doesn't get any better than this! Excellent!!”

Hilton Barbados Resort
Laguna Niguel, California
“It doesn't get any better than this! Excellent!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 3, 2009

If you are looking for an great place to unwind, catch sun poolside, frolic in the warm Caribbean waves, enjoy superb massages and world class service, THIS IS THE PLACE TO COME!

We arrived prior to check in time on May 24th and were greeted by the warm Bajan smile of Tamara at the front desk. She provided excellent, cheerful service and managed to find us into a beautiful ocean view room on the 8th floor that was clean and ready to go after only a very small wait of maybe 10 minutes.

As I mentioned the room was beautiful. It was bright and airy, with a great view of the Sea. The property is absolutely gorgeous! The pool was wonderful, and the hotel is right on the beach so you can walk out to the sea or stroll the beaches without having to walk more than a few steps from the elevator.

We frequented the Executive Lounge for breakfast each morning and crudites and beverages each evening. The food and the service there was also impeccable. Carisia in the lounge was especially friendly and helpful, and provided us with some excellent recommendations for what to do while in Barbados.

I got a massage from Kimberly on my second day there. She really worked out all of my knots, and with the warmed oils, nice aromas and her knowing hands, she melted away all of my stress and tension and left me feeling amazing. She was AWESOME!

The food in the restaurants was also fantastic. We ate at the Grille a couple of times and it was delicious. They also had a salsa lesson going on...if we had known they had that, we would have signed up for sure. As it was, we enjoyed watching all of the dancers and having taken dance lessons before, we were both very impressed by the quality of the instructor there. She was great and we couldn't help but practice our dance moves at our own table when the music was playing. We also ate at the Lighthouse Terrace a couple of times.

They had buffets nearly every night at the Lighthouse Terrace, each with a different international theme, or you could order a la carte. We enjoyed the Indian food night very much and discovered an amazing potato dish called Aloo Matar that I would kill for...maybe the Hilton would give me the recipe?? That would be awesome. That night, I was having a bit of an upset stomach (not due to anything in Barbados...I just have a temperamental stomach) and asked our waitress, Dawn, if she would mind bringing me a teaspoon of baking soda in a glass of water. She did, but better yet she brought me a glass of bitters and something or other that she said helps her stomach and it really did help. Dawn was really great - she was so pleasant and kind, and the next day when I saw her she even asked if my stomach was feeling better. She waited on us again on our last morning there and again was a pleasure to interact with.

They had a music poolside the following night - the singer had a fantastic voice and sounded like a pro...definitely not the cheesy karaoke fare you usually get in hotels. I think the singer's name was Kimberly...that girl just needs to get discovered. She'd be making the big bucks like her fellow Bajan Rihanna soon!

The mudslides from the pool bar were absolutely scrumptious as well...the perfect frosty drink to take the heat off.

Speaking of...Barbados, while hot, doesn't feel as hot because there is a constant cool breeze blowing at all times - very nice.

We also booked two tours through the concierge, Pauline and she too provided excellent service. She was very attentive and when the booking desks at the tour offices were closed, she did a great job of following up with them and getting back to us. We did a tour of the Harrison's Cave through Coconut Tours and a catamaran cruise with Cool Runnings and both were excellent! I will review both companies separately here on Trip Advisor.

I can't say enough great things about the hotel....all of the staff was very friendly, warm and welcoming and accommodating in every way.

I will note that the town of Bridgetown is about a 20 minute walk from the hotel and there are places where there are no sidewalks on the streets, but you can also get there walking along the beach, if you are so inclined. The taxi fare into town was about $11 US each way.

We ate at Waterfront in Bridgetown - they Jerk Chicken was DELICIOUS! I even asked for some sauce to take back to the hotel and I dipped everything in it that night. SO YUMMY!

Food, drinks and services in Barbados are expensive, and the hotel gift shop was quite pricey as well. $20 US for contact lens saline solution - are they crazy?? Barbados is not the place to go if you are looking for a super-cheap get-away.

But, back to the Hilton...if you are going to Barbados, you MUST stay here. It was absolutely divine! If you are considering between Barbados and another destination...as I said before, if you want impeccable service, a great beach vacation, a beautiful property and room, and a little taste of Bajan charm - Hilton Barbados is definitely the place for you!

15 Thank tldolphin

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (774)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 1, 2009

The hotel is absolutely amazing. We went to the Hilton in the Bahamas last year and it was nice but the Hilton in Barbados is AMAZING. As soon as you get there you check in at the counter which is an open air area. You can look to your left and see the ocean and the pools. While you are checking in someone comes and brings you a drink (rum punch - and it is non-alcoholic) but it really starts the trip off so nicely. Alana checked us in and she is amazing. If you need anything she is very helpful. My husband is a Diamond VIP so we got upgraded and we had a room on the ocean view side and it was gorgeous. The hotel is almost on it's own private beach. It is very peaceful and relaxing. The sand is like powder. We never had any problems finding chairs at the pools or the beach. It does take a while for the bartenders at the pool side bar to make your drinks but just remember you are on "island time". I think in the US we expect things so quickly and it is just a slower pace down there in Barbados. There is an infinity pool ,a children's pool and another pool with two waterfalls. Apparently December-April is their "on season" and May is the start of their "off season". However, it was 85, sunny and gorgeous every day. It didn't rain the entire time we were there. When we checked in the management sent us a bottle of wine and cheese tray since my husband is a Diamond VIP which was lovely. You also get access to the lounge which you can get free breakfast everyday, free soft drinks during the afternoon, free cocktails and appetizers in the evening and then chocolates later in the evening. It was really nice having access to that. The staff at the hotel is extremly friendly. I feel I should mention Alana, Carisia (who is pregnant and just too cute), and Ronald who works by the pool. They were so friendly and so helpful with everything. My husband and I have been to the Grand Cayman, the Bahamas and Barbados and by far Barbados is what I always imagined a tropical island would look like. You won't be disappointed if you go.

The food is a little pricey but everything is in Barbados dollars and the exchange rate is 2 to 1 so if the burger is $50 then it is really $25 American dollars. My husband and I would actually split lunch there at the pool every day and it filled both of us up. They do have happy hour from 5pm-6pm each day as well and you get half priced drinks.

Brown Sugar is really the only resturant within walking distance. It is right down the street and it is SO good. The food was amazing and so was the service. It is not on the water, however you almost feel like you are in a tropical paradise there. I highly recommed it. Champers was really good and it has a VERY nice view. Black Pearl and Brown Sugar were our favorites. The Black Pearl has an ocean view as well and the food and service were amazing. Piceces has a beautiful view. You almost feel like you are in a cottage over looking the water but honestly, the food was so-so. It was our least favorite restaurant. There is a local thing at a place called "Oistens" every night but it is really popular on Friday nights. It is like a big open air market and people who went fishing that day bring in their catch and cook right there for you. It was really good and very inexpensive. You get a lot for your money.

The Hilton is located on a private beach but just isn't that close to a lot of other places so you have to take a taxi almost everywhere. Be prepared to have LOTS of cab fare. There were some other restaurants that the hotel recommended but the restaurants were like 20-30 minutes away and so it was going to be around $25-$35 to get to the restaurant and then you'd have to get a cab back and it was another $25-$35 back so we picked places that were a little closer to the hotel.

There wasn't a lot of shopping in Barbados. If you are looking for an island to do a bunch of shopping then this probably wouldn't be the place for you. (But if you are looking for a nice, beautiful, peaceful get-a-way I highly recommend the Hilton Barbados.)

The taxis in Barbados are VERY nice and VERY clean. Much better than the US.

We wanted to do an excursion and swim with the turtles. We heard a lot about Cool Runnings but the hotel recommended a higher end, more "luxury" excursion. It was only $15-$20 more per person so we did that. They picked us up and took us back. They provided lunch and free drinks (alcoholic and non-alcoholic) and lunch was VERY good. They took us two different places to swim with the turtles and we also saw a ship wreck. It was nice and worth the money. However, part of the reason they upsold us was that this was only supposed to have 25 people max and the other excursions had 45-50 and so we thought it would be better to go with a smaller group. There were A LOT more people on there than 25. It made it a little cramped but it wasn't too bad. But beware of that!!!

We did the Mount Gay Rum Tour. We only did the hour long tour. It was $7.00 and you tour the facility for an hour. Afterwards they give you samples (shots) of their rum. You can also hang out there and get some of their rum drinks (which were SOOO good and only $5 each.) You can also buy their rum there at the gift shop and the rum is really cheap. Stock up if you can!!!

My husband and I got a couples masage while we were there. It wasn't on the beach but they have their own "spa" area there. The massage was really, really , really good and worth the money. In fact, we almost thought about doing it again!

I would love to go back to the Hilton Barbados one day. If you are thinking about going you should (and have fun!!!!)

6 Thank ECU0416
Calgary
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 25, 2009

I have stayed at the Hilton Barbados for business several times in the past year. I have not had any bad experiences and have found the staff in all areas nothing but friendly and helpful. The rooms are extremely clean and modern, be aware of some of the other hotels in the area can be very musty and run down, but not the Hilton. You are somewhat isolated in that there are not to many local restaurants in the area, however the St. Lawrence Gap is only a 10.00 US cab ride away and you will find all the restaurants and bars you can handle. As some have mentioned, the food is somewhat expensive Barbados and the Hilton is no exception.

The pools are very well kept and I have NEVER had an issue getting beach chair at either the pool or beach. Staff will bring out additional chairs when asked.

For leisure activities, the Dive Shop attached to the hotel is good and offers great dive sites for those certified. If not certified, I recommend an awesome introductory dive to wrecks in the adjacent harbor to the Hilton. Lastly, the Dread or Dead Surf Shop down the road had me up and surfing after the second wave, Jay is a very knowledgeable and patient instructor, they will pick you up at the hotel and take you to a great beach close to the airport to get you started.

In summary, great hotel. As a Hilton Gold member I have always been upgraded and have received a nice welcome gift (fruit tray or rum or rum cake). I highly recommend if you do come to island, rent a car for few days to get out to the country and the other beaches on the south or west coasts. Barbados is very easy to drive in (for North Americans) if want to attempt driving on the wrong side of the road.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business
5 Thank kaboocan
UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 23, 2009

Stayed 5 nights during May in a Deluxe OceanView. The deluxe appears to differ to the standard room in that it is larger, being a corner room with a balcony to one side facing the pools and ocean and a large picture window towards the ocean. The balcony was small but fitted a small circular table and two chairs. Tiled floors mean if your fellow guests above move furniture or wear heels, you will know about it. We were lucky not to have anyone in the neighbouring inerconnecting room for much of our stay. The room was spotlessly clean. The housekeeping was professional, unobtrusive and the evening turn down service was a great surprise - relaxing music, lighting and complimentary water. All the staff we encountered were lovely and really wanted to help - that makes a big difference. You do however need to choose your room carefully to avoid views of the old industrial (oil?) units. See photo.

The sea was rough - few swimmers though boogie boarders appeared to love the waves. White sand, the turquoise colour and the warmth of the sea did give a wonderful feeling like paradise. The pools were enjoyable and with it being low season, sunbeds and umbrellas plentiful.

The food has been the subject of many negative reviews and I would say you do have to choose carefully. We thought it was better than school canteen standard and mostly edible, but not consistently good enough to encourage us away from the cheaper of the two restaurants. Example prices in Barbados Dollars Caeser Salad with grilled chicken 39, Burger 42 Soda 8, Banks Beer 12, Smoothie 17, bottle of Hardys red Merlot 90. Buffet most days with a different theme eg Italian, Indian, Bajan etc. approx 100 for adults.

The Executive Lounge is an excellent amenity and was not overcrowded as we were there in the low season. Continental breakfast, cold drinks all day, open basic bar including alcohol at 6pm with a small selection of food. Also the same day's FT, USA Today, The Times and Daily Telegraph, 30 minute internet sessions (or if your partner allows you to take your laptop - wireless internet), bay view.

The security was very visible and we felt very secure at all times. There is only beach access from one direction so little in the way of passing hawkers and the road access was manned by security whenever I looked out from the Executive Lounge.

The hotel is a fair (10 mins) walk from the main road so could be described as a little isolated. I would recommend a car for part ogf your stay if you are on vacation for 7 days or longer. The free hotel shuttle didnt turn up so we took a taxi to Broad Street - 20. Airport 44. Or you can walk along the beach in daylight away from Bridgetown towards Amarylis resort about 15 mins away.

4 Thank Zubat
GMBarbados, General Manager at Hilton Barbados Resort, responded to this review, May 26, 2009
Dear Zubat

Thank you for your extensive review of the hotel.

It was good to read that overall you had a good stay with us and we look forward to welcoming you back to Barbados in the near future.

Hoschton
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 19, 2009

This is a very beautiful hotel. The room was spacious and the bath was huge. We loved the beach and the pools. The grounds of the hotel were very nice. The grounds had a very private area for a wedding or a party. We had a bay view room which was part ocean and bay view that was nice. We could see the ship port from our room. I was tempted to cancel my cruise and just stay at the hotel for the week. I would stay here again.

4 Thank byrde
Dear byrde

Thank you very much for your review.

We were all very happy to read that you had a good stay with us and we hope that your cruise was equally enjoyable.

Please do let us know when you want to come back!

Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 16, 2009

We've been staying in the Hilton for 2 weeks end of April 2009.
It was our first visit to the Carribean and we weren't sure what to expect.
The staff at the check-in made us instantly feel welcome, we were greeted with with drink and cold towels.
As a Hilton Honors Gold member we were upgraded to an Executive Room with a stunning Ocean View. Our room was ready on arrivals and a late check out was also possible. The room was spacious and clean.
We were very welcome in the Executive lounge and the staff there is just fantastic. A huge thank you goes to Carisia, Andrea, Leeann and Katrina there, who gave us brilliant tips and were very helpfull.
We tried "The Grille" and "The Lighthouse" for dinner. The Grille was very nice food and if it hadn't been for the Gourment Card we got, a little pricey.
The Lighthouse can be a hit and miss, went there 3 times and first two times were average, third time we were very disappointed. Orderd Filet steak from the menu and got presented with Sirloin Streak. After complaining we were told they were out of Filet steak, but no word mentioned when we ordered. Offered us a 50% discount, still the evening was ruined.
Breakfast at the Lighthouse was very nice, the buffet had plenty on offer, but we felt the staff wanted to get rid of the guest as fast as possible. Cleaning tables at a record speed, nearly not giving you enough time to finish what was on the plate. Maybe a little bit slower and I would have called it a fast service.
We also tried different restaruants all over the island, Brown Sugar just down the road from the hotel was very nice at with good value for money.
We dined a few nights in Holetown and my absolute favorite has to be "The Beach House", beach side dining at its best. We also went to Daphne's, Spagos (At Settles Beach Hotel, pizza to die for!) and Il Tempio. With the Gourment Card all those restaurants were afforable.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with friends
4 Thank Sligodreamer
Dear sligodreamer

Thank you for your review. We were very happy to read your comments regarding the Executive Lounge team and we will ensure that Carisia, Andrea, Leeann and Katrina are all aware of your comments.

The Lighthouse team are reviewing your comments on the overly quick service and they will made the necessary changes.

Thank you again and we look forward to welcoming you back to Barbados in the near future.

Atlanta
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 14, 2009

This hotel is clean and very comfortbale. Beautiful view of the Caribbean ocean. The food is good and satff are friendly. When I checked into the hotel, they didn't have my room ready. I ate lunch, took a 2 hour nap and my room still was not ready. They comped me half room rate and dinner. The rest of the stay was very smooth. You have to pay for internet in the room. This hotel is set back from the main road so its not too conveinent to walk from the hotel to other areas, although there is a shuttle to Bridgetown. The beach is nice but sloping into coral. Many honeymooners at the hotel.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled on business
3 Thank billionmiles
Dear billionmiles

Many thanks for your review.

Please accept our apologies again for the delay with checking you in however I am happy to see that we fairly compensated you for this.

I do hope that you will return soon to Barbados where you can expect an even better experience.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Saint Michael Parish
The Crane Resort
The Crane Resort
#1 of 4 in Saint Philip Parish
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,382 reviews

Been to Hilton Barbados Resort? Share your experiences!