“Spotless hotel...”

Hilton Barbados Resort
Austin, Arkansas
“Spotless hotel...”
Reviewed June 24, 2013

I'll start by saying that this is the cleanest hotel that I have ever visited. The cleaning staff really seems to take pride in their jobs. I must admit that I am usually that person that puts the DO NOT DISTURB on the outside of the door and clean up after myself for the entirety of my stay. We"ll my "Sweetheart" decided to track in dirt and sand throughout the entire room, even the shower. So at this point there was no way around allowing them to clean it. It was let them come in to clean or walk through the sand from the shower to the balcony... yeah... literally the entire room. They did an amazing job!! This hotel is not just clean that first day but every hour of everyday! This staff cleans from sunrise to sunrise! And no I do not mean sunrise to sunset either. We would decide to go walk along the beach at night and people were cleaning the entire time. So if you want a clean hotel this is your kind of place.

Everything else was secondary I must admit. The concierg and front desk staff were very friendly and most helpful!! Sometimes you worry about the concierg suggesting things such as "tourist traps." Not at all we all had an amazing time on every event they suggested. The first full night we were there we attended the Harbour Nights..... Amazing... Now I must tell you that I am not a drinker. I don't like the taste of alcohol but their Pina Colada was absolutely wonderful. They were also all-inclusive, and all you could drink until 2 am. We had dinner (chicken, fish, or steak), drinks, and a show (fire swallowing, stilt performers, limbo, and interactive performances). Oh and desert as well but it was a roasted marshmellow. (Not really my forte). This was also very kid friendly if that applies. The next thing suggested was the Catamaran. WONDERFUL!!!! They chose the "Wasn't Me" for us. The captain was amazing and so was the rest of the staff. This was my favorite by far. It was a 5 hour tour. They picked us up from the hotel. We sailed out of the dock to our first destination, then snorkeled with the turtles for about 20 min, then headed to our next destination, the coral reef and snorkeled for about an hour or so, then we had lunch (a real meal- chicken, fish, rice, potatoes, salad, bread, etc). We headed back after that and danced on the front of the boat and just had a good ole time. It wasn't over crowded like I have heard some of the other catamaran cruises being.

So talk to the conceirg they won't steer you wrong in our experience. There were ten of us in our group. Hard to please ten different people and they did a very good job of it. As for the bar staff.... Awful!!!! They were rude and not helpful in any way. Also I am usually a very good tipper... as long as you do a good job. We got our bill for our drinks, which was $20 Barbados, gave him a $20 USD oh and he kept it without even offering change!! That happened to all of us at one time or another. They tried it again... I gave them a 50 USD for a $10 Barbados drink (Happy Hour) and I waited for 5-10 min for my change. I guess they were thinking I would either forget about my change or just give up, but I actually had to ask for it. I don't mind tipping but I'm not tipping rude people who expect a more than a 400% tip. But that's me plus they have that VAT and 10% service fee anyway! Outside of the bar I would recommend the hotel, but I must say I never ate anything from any of the restaurants there either so sorry I can't be of any help there.

Stayed April 2010, traveled with friends

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank firecarey00
MatthewBarbados, General Manager at Hilton Barbados Resort, responded to this review, July 2, 2013
Thank you for your comments on TripAdvisor and I am glad you enjoyed your overall stay especially the wonderfully clean rooms, thank you also for your comments on the bar team members. Please get in touch directly if I can help with anything. Best regards

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (796)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Toronto
Reviewed June 23, 2013

Just returned from a business trip in Barbados where I stayed at the Hilton which was about a 25 minute ride from the airport by cab. Note the Barbados currency is 2 – 1 American. So $ 100 American is $ 200 Barbados. The cab driver quoted us a fare of $ 40 (not mentioning that it is Barbados currency) and I paid him 40$ American instead of twenty plus tip and he promptly tucked it away.

Was immediately checked into my room after my request for an upgrade (it cost me $ 50 more a night to upgrade) to the Executive level (7th floor) based on the reviews I had read about the value for the business traveler (and others too).

The room was superb. Attached a picture of my room (sorry for the unmade bed) and a view of the Ocean from my balcony - nothing less than spectacular. Be prepared for the sounds of the waves all night long that is how close you are to the ocean !

The executive suite allows access all day into the Executive dining lounge on the 8th floor (attached a picture of the exec lounge) where they serve a super continental breakfast as well as boiled eggs , smoked salmon and some other choices that are just perfect for the busy business traveler. The coffee is always hot and absolutely delicious from 06:30 am. All day you can help yourself to water, coffee, juice , pop and some fruit if you wish. In the evenings they have a delicious snack that will tidy you over till dinner (I had samosas and a veggie tray plus dip that was hot and delicious). The executive package also allows you access to the Executive gym on the 6th floor that has all of the equipment you will need for a solid workout with the stationary bikes and treadmills facing the Ocean while you work out ! It is not a large room but does not have to be because it’s for the exclusive use of the execs. Free wireless or Lan connection to the Internet in the exec lounge too (they will supply you the password), they also have a computer that is connected to the internet etc in the exec lounge for those that don’t bring their own and a quiet room with TV and couches if you happen to take your child along or want some TV time while eating.

Did not get a chance to spend too much time in the pool that looked amazing or the ocean that was spectacular and clean. While it’s a public beach – the way it is built it ends up almost being exclusive to the hotel guests. The normal traffic of vendors selling their chains etc go by. They have life guards on duty on the beach in a tower. The waves next to the hotel (also public) beach had suffers riding some pretty tall waves almost all day.

The service at the hotel is excellent and the staff very friendly who will cater to your every need. I found that room service was a little expensive when they add on the delivery charge, service fee etc. The hotel food was great and reasonable priced. The had a managers BBQ on the Wednesday of our stay that we found out on Wednesday after we had had made plans to go out – so we missed it but not after taking a peek at what was on the menu – simply delicious, variety of foods and all free !

The hotel towels are the luxury variety and free access to the Internet in the lobby. I found out late that you can take a cab and charge it to your room (the hotel reimburses the driver the exact amount you pay him with no overhead added). I found that very convenient for it to show up on my hotel bill for doing my expenses later. You can even work it out with the driver to pre charge you for the trip back to the airport and that to be included in your final bill just before you leave.

I had one experience that sums up the superb service they give here. At 6:15 in the morning , life happened and a pipe burst and so I had no water in my washroom. I called the front desk, they explained the problem and told me that they would have it fixed within 15 minutes and would call me back or help with any arrangements to get me ready for work. In ten minutes I got a call back informing me that all was well, plus a follow up call to see if they could have a cab ready for me and paid for by the hotel as an apology ! Later that evening the Manager personally came to see me and again apologized for the problem and again offered me anything to make it right , I was so happy with the call back and promise kept that it was enough they still picked up my cab fare for that entire day ! (almost $ 50 US)

You will absolutely love your stay at this Hilton truly a class Hilton that will make the Hilton family so proud to have their name there !

Room Tip: If you cannot sleep well with the sound of the ocean waves ask for a room away from the ocean cause...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank mxd
Thank you for the kind comments and delighted to read you thoroughly enjoyed the Barbadian experience. See you again in Barbados we hope?
Reviewed June 21, 2013

The hotel is really pretty and spacious. The room was clean and the balcony had a beautiful ocean view. I loved the pools and how the beach is right there next to the hotel. The beach is very clean with soft, white sand and warm, light blue water. I also had a spa treatment there and got a massage and facial, which was great! Most of the staff was nice, some not so friendly. The worst part of staying there was the restaurant service. The restaurant is called the Lighthouse and we had to wait 30 mins just to order and then another hour just for the food and the food did not come out all at once. Many people were angry that night and the staff were rude and seemed very unapologetic. I saw how there were people waiting to be seated and how tables were not cleaned up right away for them to sit. One table was left uncleaned for an hour. I understand that being understaffed on a busy night happens, but if they were more nice about it, I would be more understanding. So, if you eat there on a busy night, prepare to wait. There was another thing I didn't like. Trays of food were left in the hallway outside near my door for about 10 hours and the food made the hallway smell and attracted flies. I don't know why it took so long for someone to pick that up. It didn't make sense either that my room was cleaned by housekeeping and the trays were still left there. One last thing, I wish that more restaurants were nearby. We mainly ate at the restaurants in the hotel or ordered room service, which was very pricey. I wish I had more options to choose from, but everything is too far away to walk to. Anyways, it's a nice hotel to stay in, but I probably will not stay there again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank asreyes
Thank you for your valuable feedback and I am pleased to note you had a pleasant stay in Barbados. My apologies for the issue with The Lighthouse Terrace and please get in touch if I can assist with any future travels to this beautiful island. Best regards
Windermere, Florida, United States
Reviewed June 18, 2013

My family has been going to the Hilton in Barbados for several years for spring break. this year we passed and went to Hawaii. All my kids could do is compare the outstanding service and accomodations of the Hilton Barbados and the Waldorf Astoria Maui did not measure up. Very nice place to stay, a little pricey, but the staff makes the extra money worth it.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank David B
MatthewBarbados, General Manager at Hilton Barbados Resort, responded to this review, June 20, 2013
Thank you for your comments and for staying with us several times over the last few years. Looks like you will be returning to Barbados again next year if the kids get their way! Let me know if we can ever assist with anything. Kind regards
Bridgetown, Barbados
Reviewed June 18, 2013

Hilton Barbados is now my preferred choice of Hotel for a staycation. It is truly first class for several reasons: !) The Bay View is so good that you don't want to move out. 2) The food is surprisingly, very delicious, especially the deserts. 3)The hotel facilitates a private retreat for any couple needing quality time. In a nutshell: Fantastic. Will definitely repeat.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

2 Thank Debbie B
Delighted to read you enjoyed your staycation with us. I am pleased to note that our team looked after you so well and please do come back and stay with us again soon. Best regards
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed June 18, 2013

I have been fortunate enough to have stayed at this hotel many times and it never dissappoints, in fact, the experience is nothing but excellent every time. Well done to the Fabulous team at Barbados Hilton.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Virgin Holidays

1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
I am delighted to read that you thoroughly enjoyed your trip to Barbados and for continuing to return and stay with us. I am delighted our team looked after you so well and I do hope to see you again someday in sunny Barbados.
Vaughan, Canada
Reviewed June 17, 2013

I recently travelled to the Hilton in Barbados for a business trip. The hotel is beautifully laid out with two pools and a small beach. The rooms where clean and bright and I looked over the bay towards Bridgetown. I found the staff to be fairly friendly and courteous. I did find the pricing for food and beverages to be higher than they should be. When will hoteliers get it in their heads that we are in the 21st century and people demand value for the dollar whether travelling on business or pleasure. I found the food and beverage prices at the Hilton to be way overpriced. $7.50 for a local beer? Come-on! What the Hilton is doing is taking advantage of their guests and forcing some of them to eat and drink off-site at more economical venues in the area.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

1 Thank HowardB13
Many thanks for your review and I hope you had a safe and pleasant journey home. I do appreciate all comments received as this enables us to continually review our service and standards. I am delighted to note that you enjoyed your stay and I do hope to see you back in Barbados in the future.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Saint Michael Parish
#1 of 4 in Saint Philip Parish
Bougainvillea Beach Resort
Bougainvillea Beach Resort
#10 of 51 in Christ Church Parish

Been to Hilton Barbados Resort? Share your experiences!