“Fantastic and totally relaxing holiday”

Sugar Cane Club Hotel & Spa
Reviewed October 3, 2009

From the moment we arrived and were greeted with cool face towels and the offer of a rum punch, we knew we had chosen to holiday somewhere very special where customer service is of a very high quality. We were shown to our one bedroom suite, which was spotless and very well appointed and was kept so throughout our two week stay, thanks to the hard work of the room attendants.

The grounds are immaculate as a result of the dedication of the gardeners who always said hello when we passed. The bar and restaurant provided excellent drinks and meals and with an extremely friendly and helpful staff. Thanks to the bar staff we tried some of the local cocktails and drinks that we would otherwise not have known about. The food was of a very high quality and the menu was varied and we enjoyed both the a la carte evenings and the outdoor buffet and barbeques. The lunchtime menu was perfect and we would particularly recommend the Sugar Cane Club Sandwich!

I had the best pedicure ever at the spa and would recommend a visit. We took advantage of the free shuttle bus to both the nearby town (Speighstown) and the beach where we were looked after by the General. The weekly glass bottom boat trip was a particular highlight and we both thoroughly enjoyed swimming with the turtles and observing the different types of coral and fish en route.

All in all, we had a fantastic holiday in beautiful surroundings and didn't want it to end. We would love to visit again. Thanks to everyone who made this a truly memorable holiday.

2  Thank Rum_coolers
Write a ReviewReviews (1,219)

Reviewed September 28, 2009

We have literally just got back from a week stay at the Sugar Cane Club in Barbados, and wanted to tell everyone what a brilliant fabulous place this is.
We took advantage of the 2 for 1 deal choosing Barbados over a European holiday - the price worked out roughly the same so we jumped at the chance at a little Carribean sunshine. Seeing the reviews on TA before we went we were all looking forward to it but we really didn't expect to have the best holiday we've ever had :)
We were made really welcome immediately by Terry, the most friendly Front of House manager i have met. Terry showed myself and my partner and our other friends to our room which were 2 adjoining apartments which were just beautiful with absolutely fabulous balconys over looking the "jungle"! Unfortunately though, we didn't see the monkeys!
Our stay was excellent, the food was exquisite - breakfast buffet with everything you could ask for, a very varied lunchtime menu, and the evening food!!! My goodness, the evening food!!!! We had 3 evening buffets (1 being a BBQ and i have never had steak quite so tender!) and the other nights were an absolutely delicious a la carte menu. The service, presentation and the location made every single evening so enjoyable.
I read on an earlier comment from someone that they had bad service in the restaurant but i find it impossible to believe - the staff couldn't do enough for you, and even if there was a slight wait for some on the meals - who cares?!!!! You're on holiday - order another rum punch and chill out!!!
The first night we were invited to the managers cocktail party which i found a nice touch. It was only for an hour and it really felt like they wanted to make everyone feel special and enjoy their stay at the sugar cane. Great rum punch and lovely canapes! Rod, the general manager, was very friendly. As i said, the cocktail party was only for an hour which gave them enough time to get to know faces and i only saw him a few other times after this - once being when he was helping to cut the coconuts down from the trees and was offering some of the jelly around to guests at the pool. I thought this was a nice gesture and it was great to see the coconut juice being funnelled into the bottles for the cocktails. You don't get much fresher than that!
Some of the staff who made it for us were Roy, Ellerton, Hamilton, Ricardo, Murray and of course Terry... All such brilliant and friendly characters - they really made our holiday :)
We also used the spa which was very nice - a bit too laid back for me but the facilities were excellent and i enjoyed a lovely couples massage and the most proffessional pedicure i have had yet.
The hotel is about 20 mins away from their beach area which is just beauiful... The sea was just stunning. Also, on fridays there is a free glass bottom boat ride which is worth a visit. Its only for 1-2 hours but we saw turtles and for my partner, swimming with them made his holiday complete.
We didn't doo too many excursions but the 1 we did do was the Jeep Safari - YOU MUST DO THIS!!!! The ONLY way to see the beautiful island of Barbados!
There are only a few points i would make as constructive critism - the pool bar was not opened enough, and our friends got engaged whilst there and i informed reception thinking they may do a little suprise or something but nothing happened. But we were already experiencing utter luxury so we weren't to bothered by this :)
Anyway, we're back now and am thoroughly sad to be back - would've loved another week or so at the brilliant Sugar Cane. I thoroughly recommend this resort and any other bad reviews on here don't seem to be very justified.
Life is too short to visit places more than once but i wouldn't hesitate for one second about going back here.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled with friends
2  Thank laceyg24
Reviewed September 28, 2009

Small hotel(40 rooms) on a hilltop in a quiet residential area. Friendly staff who cared and a general manager who ensured he met all the guests and listened to their views. Good buffet breakfast, a la carte lunch and dinner with dinner round the pool on 3 nights of our 7 night stay. Good spa( so my wife tells me!) and a complimentary bus to the beach several times each day and a weekly glass bottomed boat trip to swim with the loggerhead turtles. Spacious, clean rooms with A/C and balconies. If you can, get a first floor room with sea views.

2  Thank yorkshiremanontop
Reviewed September 24, 2009

Along with many others we were on a bargain all inclusive 2 weeks courtesy of The Daily Telegraph/ Virgin Holidays made even better value when we saw how expensive it would have been to eat out in Barbados.Perhaps because of the deal & the increased occupancy, the standard of food, praised by so many previous reviews, has taken a turn for the worse.There are now 3 fairly mediocre buffets each week and an a la carte menu for the other 8 nights which didn't change during the 2 weeks, with very limited choices ie 4 main courses. Service seems to have speeded up but at the expense of the quality and variety of the food.
Other than that all remains very good; the rooms are spacious, the pool is fine though badly in need of more parasols to provide much needed shade and the beach is lovely
The staff are cheerful, friendly & always willing to help.We had 3 rainy days in 2 weeks during the wettest month of the year & given a similar deal would more than happily return.

Reviewed September 22, 2009

We have just returned from a week at the Sugar Cane Club and we wish we had been staying for longer. The hotel is set in a beautiful location which is peaceful with a real friendly atmosphere. The apartments are very nicely set out with a fully equipped kitchen and spacious lounge/patio area. The rooms were cleaned daily and were left immaculate each day. Don't be put off that the hotel is not near the beach the shuttle service is excellent and runs every day except Sundays. At the beach you find 'The General' a lovely man who couldn't do enough for us, he also escorted us on the glass bottom boat trip which was excellent.

The restaurant is exceptional serving delicious food for breakfast, lunch and dinner, the bar also does a good selection of local drinks and cocktails. We didn't use the spa facilities but would have done had we been staying longer, they did however look wonderful and there is an impressive looking gym.

Probably the biggest asset to this hotel has to be it's staff. They are without doubt the nicest people we have ever met. It is probably unfair to name individuals as all the staff were brilliant even the gardeners would stop for a chat and say hello. We would like to thank Roy and Ellerton however for keeping our glasses topped up all week! Each week they hold a managers cocktail party for staff to mingle with the guests, We had the pleasure of meeting the owner Bernie and his son Roddy the manager. It is so nice to stay somewhere that the managment care so much about their customers and take the time to socialise with them.

We booked this holiday with the virgin/telegraph offer so got a very good deal, we have however already said we would like to go back next year and would be more than happy to pay the extra for such an amazing holiday.

2  Thank Rob-Dawn
Reviewed September 22, 2009

Where do we start a fantastic hotel hidden away just above St. Peters. The apartments very clean, well fitted out with little extras and very spacious. The grounds are well maintained by friendly staff who are always willing to stop and chat.
The resturant serves top quility food and the BBQ'S are something not to be missed, once again presented by very polite, friendly kitchen and waiting staff. The bar could be a little larger though we have been told this will be delt with by next year. The bar staff are like the rest of the staff and can't be faulted. Roys fruit punches are a delight on the taste buds, with him bringing in local fruits we had never heard of.
The staff in the Spa are as good if not better than you would get anywhere else in the world and you are paying half the price with a wide range of treatments available.
We could not find any minus's to the hotel and if it is a quite relaxing holiday in beautiful setting with kind ,attentive staff and management there is no other place like it . Roll on next september when we will be going back for a 3rd year.
THANK-YOU TO ALL AT THE SUGER CANE

2  Thank popsfbn
Reviewed September 21, 2009

I am so glad that we booked this holiday based on 99% of the positive reviews on Trip Advisor. We nearly dismissed this resort based on a couple of negative reviews and the fact that the beach was a little way away. Do not let this bother you, you will live to regret it, I guarantee it!

We picked this hotel because I do not like the large commercial hotels which are impersonal and do not offer the high standards you will find at the Sugar Cane.

The hotel is immaculate and beautifully cared for, has a Spanish feel about it. The rooms are also large and to a high standard. There is also a kitchen, which we did not use because we were all inclusive. The rooms are well equipped with everything you would need down to even an umbrella. Our room was cleaned every day, clean towels were provided each day along with beach towels. Each room also has a hair dryer, flat screen TV and alarm clock. The rooms are also air conditioned, which was a god send.

The hotel is like heaven, it is really well thought out. and the gardens surrounding it are amazing The pool area is well thought out and tastefully presented. The hotel was renovated 2 years ago and it has been carried out to a high standard.

The food is first class and is a huge attribute to the hotel, everything is home made. Although you do get to the point where you have to exercise a little self control so that you don't over eat. You must try the ice cream, it is wonderful. There has been a lot of criticism on here about the food taking an age to be served. I think that this matter has been addressed and I can honestly say that I found the wait wasn't at an unacceptable level, no longer than 20 minutes. I do not consider this to be outrageous, actually just what you want so you can allow your food to go down and soak up the atmosphere in between. There is plenty of choice for breakfast and lunch too. The hotel will also make you a packed lunch should you want to go out for the day.

All of the staff were wonderful and very helpful. We would honestly say that everybody in Barbados was so friendly and approachable, you also felt very safe.

If you are looking for a holiday where you want to party every night and have karaoke, then go some where else. The latest we went to bed when drinking in the bar was 11pm and we were holidaying with friends. You will find that the majority of poeple are up by 7am. We were surprised that we weren't the only ones who were at breakfast at 7.30!

As you can gather the atmosphere at the hotel is wonderful and you are really taken care of by all the staff, who will bend over backwards to accommodate your needs in any way.

I also had a massage and thoroughly enjoyed it. I would recommend it.

During our stay that was booked through Virgin, we did a number of trips including the Tiama Catamaran, Jeep safari, glass bottom boat trip (free to all hotel guests) and Oistins on friday night. I would recommend all of them but do not book Oistins through Virgin do it through Terry at the hotel. This way you can leave later without going to all the other hotels on the way and it is cheaper.

We also caught the bus in to Bridgetown which was only 50p each way. We got a blue bus there (state owned) and then a yellow bus back (privately owned). The yellow bus trip was a real experience - reggae music playing and I would recommend it just for the experience.

Also check out the fisherman's bar in Speitstown on a Wednesday night for live music and limbo dancing etc. You can get a taxi from the hotel for about £4 each way. A round of 4 drinks was a fiver!

The hotel beach is beautiful and again you are well looked after by the man at the beach who will provide drinks etc. You can walk to the local beach which is 10 mins walk away, but this is not as nice as the hotel one. Do not attempt to walk to the hotel beach, it must be about 5 miles away - too far to walk anyway! I believe you can have a mountain bike from the hotel, but I didn't see many people on them.

I hate to be negative as it seems petty and I really cannot fault this hotel. The only improvements I would suggest are as follows:

1. Pool bar to be opened in the day (seems ludicrous that you have to keep getting dressed to go upstairs in to the main bar to get a drink during the day). There is also a safety issue here in that you have to walk up and down the steps in beach footwear carrying drinks. The only reason that we can see that it wasn't, was possibly a cost implication for the hotel of having to employ an extra member of staff to man the pool bar.

2. Orange juice/apple juice to be provided in jugs next to the Tea and Coffee at breakfast so that guests can help themselves. I don't drink Tea and Coffee and found it really irritating to have to keep asking for a drink, This would also save on washing up of all those glasses!

3. As everybody at the hotel are such early risers, I think the hotel should provide a shuttle that runs at 9am each day. The problem was that if you had breakfast early you could be waiting around for a couple of hours before being able to catch a bus from Speitstown, this is on the way to the beach where the bus station is.

4. Feel really really guilty writing this, but think this is important feedback for the hotel. As I have said I thought all the staff were very attentive and kind. However I can see where on first impressions the impression of rudeness comes from a couple of the bar staff on first meeting. My suggestion would be that when somebody comes to the bar that the staff stop what they are doing (if they are not serving somebody else) and make eye contact with the customer. I also felt that a lot of time was wasted farting around looking in cupboards for certain things. This could be much better organised and set up to prevent this. That said, this really is not a major deal as you are on holiday and once you get to know all of the bar staff they are all quite sociable and amenable. I just think that this could be where they are going wrong and this lets them down (gives the wrong impression) when they are so professional in all other areas. I am also a great believer that if you want to integrate with the hotel staff that you too should be polite and friendly. A lot of people who complain about staff, are often the type of customers who do not know how to say "please" and "thank you", which in my book goes a long long way.

In essence this is one of the best holidays that I have ever been on, it ticked all boxes for me and my husband. Our friends were also over the moon with our choice and this made me feel relieved as I chose it. We would seriously consider going back next year as I don't think we would be able to find anything better than this, We are not the type of people who usually go back somewhere twice, but my next holiday has an awful lot to live up to.

2  Thank GillyBradley
#3 of 10 in Saint Peter Parish
The Crane Resort
The Crane Resort
#1 of 4 in Saint Philip Parish

Been to Sugar Cane Club Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!