“A hidden Gem”

Sugar Cane Club Hotel & Spa
somerset
“A hidden Gem”
Reviewed September 22, 2009

Where do we start a fantastic hotel hidden away just above St. Peters. The apartments very clean, well fitted out with little extras and very spacious. The grounds are well maintained by friendly staff who are always willing to stop and chat.
The resturant serves top quility food and the BBQ'S are something not to be missed, once again presented by very polite, friendly kitchen and waiting staff. The bar could be a little larger though we have been told this will be delt with by next year. The bar staff are like the rest of the staff and can't be faulted. Roys fruit punches are a delight on the taste buds, with him bringing in local fruits we had never heard of.
The staff in the Spa are as good if not better than you would get anywhere else in the world and you are paying half the price with a wide range of treatments available.
We could not find any minus's to the hotel and if it is a quite relaxing holiday in beautiful setting with kind ,attentive staff and management there is no other place like it . Roll on next september when we will be going back for a 3rd year.
THANK-YOU TO ALL AT THE SUGER CANE

2 Thank popsfbn

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (371)
Warminster, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 21, 2009

I am so glad that we booked this holiday based on 99% of the positive reviews on Trip Advisor. We nearly dismissed this resort based on a couple of negative reviews and the fact that the beach was a little way away. Do not let this bother you, you will live to regret it, I guarantee it!

We picked this hotel because I do not like the large commercial hotels which are impersonal and do not offer the high standards you will find at the Sugar Cane.

The hotel is immaculate and beautifully cared for, has a Spanish feel about it. The rooms are also large and to a high standard. There is also a kitchen, which we did not use because we were all inclusive. The rooms are well equipped with everything you would need down to even an umbrella. Our room was cleaned every day, clean towels were provided each day along with beach towels. Each room also has a hair dryer, flat screen TV and alarm clock. The rooms are also air conditioned, which was a god send.

The hotel is like heaven, it is really well thought out. and the gardens surrounding it are amazing The pool area is well thought out and tastefully presented. The hotel was renovated 2 years ago and it has been carried out to a high standard.

The food is first class and is a huge attribute to the hotel, everything is home made. Although you do get to the point where you have to exercise a little self control so that you don't over eat. You must try the ice cream, it is wonderful. There has been a lot of criticism on here about the food taking an age to be served. I think that this matter has been addressed and I can honestly say that I found the wait wasn't at an unacceptable level, no longer than 20 minutes. I do not consider this to be outrageous, actually just what you want so you can allow your food to go down and soak up the atmosphere in between. There is plenty of choice for breakfast and lunch too. The hotel will also make you a packed lunch should you want to go out for the day.

All of the staff were wonderful and very helpful. We would honestly say that everybody in Barbados was so friendly and approachable, you also felt very safe.

If you are looking for a holiday where you want to party every night and have karaoke, then go some where else. The latest we went to bed when drinking in the bar was 11pm and we were holidaying with friends. You will find that the majority of poeple are up by 7am. We were surprised that we weren't the only ones who were at breakfast at 7.30!

As you can gather the atmosphere at the hotel is wonderful and you are really taken care of by all the staff, who will bend over backwards to accommodate your needs in any way.

I also had a massage and thoroughly enjoyed it. I would recommend it.

During our stay that was booked through Virgin, we did a number of trips including the Tiama Catamaran, Jeep safari, glass bottom boat trip (free to all hotel guests) and Oistins on friday night. I would recommend all of them but do not book Oistins through Virgin do it through Terry at the hotel. This way you can leave later without going to all the other hotels on the way and it is cheaper.

We also caught the bus in to Bridgetown which was only 50p each way. We got a blue bus there (state owned) and then a yellow bus back (privately owned). The yellow bus trip was a real experience - reggae music playing and I would recommend it just for the experience.

Also check out the fisherman's bar in Speitstown on a Wednesday night for live music and limbo dancing etc. You can get a taxi from the hotel for about £4 each way. A round of 4 drinks was a fiver!

The hotel beach is beautiful and again you are well looked after by the man at the beach who will provide drinks etc. You can walk to the local beach which is 10 mins walk away, but this is not as nice as the hotel one. Do not attempt to walk to the hotel beach, it must be about 5 miles away - too far to walk anyway! I believe you can have a mountain bike from the hotel, but I didn't see many people on them.

I hate to be negative as it seems petty and I really cannot fault this hotel. The only improvements I would suggest are as follows:

1. Pool bar to be opened in the day (seems ludicrous that you have to keep getting dressed to go upstairs in to the main bar to get a drink during the day). There is also a safety issue here in that you have to walk up and down the steps in beach footwear carrying drinks. The only reason that we can see that it wasn't, was possibly a cost implication for the hotel of having to employ an extra member of staff to man the pool bar.

2. Orange juice/apple juice to be provided in jugs next to the Tea and Coffee at breakfast so that guests can help themselves. I don't drink Tea and Coffee and found it really irritating to have to keep asking for a drink, This would also save on washing up of all those glasses!

3. As everybody at the hotel are such early risers, I think the hotel should provide a shuttle that runs at 9am each day. The problem was that if you had breakfast early you could be waiting around for a couple of hours before being able to catch a bus from Speitstown, this is on the way to the beach where the bus station is.

4. Feel really really guilty writing this, but think this is important feedback for the hotel. As I have said I thought all the staff were very attentive and kind. However I can see where on first impressions the impression of rudeness comes from a couple of the bar staff on first meeting. My suggestion would be that when somebody comes to the bar that the staff stop what they are doing (if they are not serving somebody else) and make eye contact with the customer. I also felt that a lot of time was wasted farting around looking in cupboards for certain things. This could be much better organised and set up to prevent this. That said, this really is not a major deal as you are on holiday and once you get to know all of the bar staff they are all quite sociable and amenable. I just think that this could be where they are going wrong and this lets them down (gives the wrong impression) when they are so professional in all other areas. I am also a great believer that if you want to integrate with the hotel staff that you too should be polite and friendly. A lot of people who complain about staff, are often the type of customers who do not know how to say "please" and "thank you", which in my book goes a long long way.

In essence this is one of the best holidays that I have ever been on, it ticked all boxes for me and my husband. Our friends were also over the moon with our choice and this made me feel relieved as I chose it. We would seriously consider going back next year as I don't think we would be able to find anything better than this, We are not the type of people who usually go back somewhere twice, but my next holiday has an awful lot to live up to.

2 Thank GillyBradley
Reviewed September 20, 2009

We have just returned from one of the best holdays we have had. Sugar Cane Club is a small hotel with a wonderful relaxing atmosphere. The staff were always very friendly and helpful. It would be easy to mention a few names but to be fair they all added to the smooth running of the hotel and to make sure everyone was having a great time.

Our rooms were large and clean, as well as bedroom and sitting room they have a small kitchenette which we didn't use as we were on an all inclusive deal with Virgin (like so many other people there). The food in the restaurant was excellant with a mixture of A La Carte menu and Buffett at other times. Sometimes the service was a little slow , but hey you are on holiday!!

It certainly wasn't a problem not being right on beach, in fact it was quite nice getting away from the busy strip with all the hotels in.The hotel runs a shuttle bus which can take you down to Speightstown or to the beach, where the hotel provides sun beds , snorkeling equipment and kayaks .'The General' is also on hand to provide refreshments

We met some fantastic people on holiday and evenings were spent sipping cocktails and catching up with everyone in the bar.

Barbados is a lovely island and the people are all very friendly... so we hope to return to the island again , and if we do it will be at The Sugar Cane Club.

3 Thank angep
isle of wight
Reviewed September 16, 2009

We have just returned from 10 days at the sugar cane club,the only downside to this hotel is that you have to leave at some point.All the staff are so helpful and friendly,The rooms are large and kept very clean.The food is excellent and the service was prompt.It was no problem not being right near to the beach as their was a shuttle to take you their.Me and my husband had the best holiday and this was all thanks to the great staff and lovely people we met.The surroundings around the hotel are beautiful and kept to a high standard.We hope to go back next year.A big thankyou to everyone at the sugar cane club especially Roy.

3 Thank IsleOfWightPink
Cotswolds
Reviewed September 15, 2009

Just returned from a great stay at this hotel, helped no doubt by an excellent all inclusive deal with Virgin/ Telegraph. It is a lovely hotel with a warm and welcoming atmosphere, generated by the staff and reflected in the friendliness of the guests. The service may not always be 100%, (it is usually close), but the food is excellent, and snacks are available if you ask. The food is served in a very pleasant open style restaurant, or pool side, and if you (occasionally) have to wait a little while it really is no hardship. Not all visitors are all inclusive, so the shop may be a boon to some - we certainly had no need to visit it.

The beach facility is excellent, and if you wanted to get a local taxi to a more lively evening resort this is available at little cost - as far as I could see guests were more than happy to enjoy the bar and its atmosphere, sometimes with entertainment , but equally lively when there was none.

People on the deal were very happy, hardly believing their good fortune, and we would like to return, when no doubt we will have to pay a lot more, but it will still be worth it.

3 Thank NeveraHippy
Northampton
Reviewed September 15, 2009

When you start to read the reviews for the Sugar Cane please look down the list first to see what kind of guide you get. You will notice that everyone rates this hotel as top class.
You will always find the odd one, ref. Askell from Newcastle who took over five months before puting through his thoughts. Why would someone wait that long to tell you that he didn't rate the hotel. Surely it would be one of the first things you would do.

We were at the hotel at the end of August 2009 through to early September.

From stepping out of the taxi in to reception to leaving we had one hell of a fantastic holiday. The rooms were large, clean with all the amenities, the food at all meals were presented well and tasted as you would expect from a first class hotel. However, the real pleasure of the ten nights we stayed were the staff. Everyone from the the gardeners, bar, restaurant, spa and reception were all so friendly and helpful. On top of all this we were also previliged to have the General Manager take time out to interact with his guests.

Overall this is a small adult only hotel that caters for couples who either want to be by themselves or can mix with the other guests if they are also happy to do so. It's all down to you and the guests. Due to the fact that it is small and we were slightly out of the main season the hotel was quiet and that's jsut what we wanted. If you want loud music, happy hour and song and dance nights then yes go to a different hotel. If you want attentive service in a relaxed atmosphere then go to the Sugar Cane.

It is always difficult to try and explain just how much you have enjoyed yourself as an individual or couple and just as much so when you are reading other peoples reviews.
However, all I would say is that we had the best holiday ever and would recommend the hotel to anyone without fear. We have tried to pick faults and if we did we would really be nit-picking and I don't want to go that route so if you are looking for service, friendlyness and overall peace, calm and tranquility then go for it, you won't be disappointed.

One area that might be helpful to some is stating that the hotel is away from the main road routes and you won't be able to go for an evening stroll out of the hotel grounds, however, the hotel does have shuttle buses that will take out to the beach and the main village throughout the day which was fine for us, the evening was for relaxing.

I hope my review has helped and due to the fact that everyone was so helpful at the hotel I have not mentioned anyone by name as it's difficult without naming them all.

Once again a big thank you to the hotel and it's staff and if you do go for it have a fantastic time, I know we did

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
3 Thank reayc
Newcastle
Reviewed September 1, 2009

Please do not get me wrong this hotel is clean, has great views, has a nice pool and does a great evening meal that would make any restaurant proud, and if you don’t want to stay up past 10pm and enjoy a very quite resort then you will enjoy it....if you want a luxury spa resort with great service then this is not the place for you...its just OK.
This is a nice little hotel, but let down by poor service! Starting with the good, the food is brilliant and the chef’s there really know how to make a good meal and the grounds are small but perfect with very clean rooms, pool etc....no complaints about any of that but the place is very strange and having read some of the early reviews i would say it is maybe going backwards.
Our main issue with the place is the service, or lack of it to be precise. Firstly this is not an All Inclusive as you might think or be told, it is full board and you will not find anyone at the bar by the pool, snacks to nibble, ice cream being served outside the set times for breakfast, lunch or dinner which is why they have an onsite shop (always suspicious when all inc’s have shops selling food) which you have to buy all of that, same with bottled water which is extra. The meals are very good but VERY VERY VERY slow, the service is none existent most of the time. A sign says “wait to be seated” and if you stand there nobody will pay you any attention at all, then when you do sit down, the menu, drinks etc are still 10min away minimum. Once you do order then the wait will be twice as long as anywhere else, we ordered a soup starter one night and it took almost 25min...soup!!!! . Now Barbados is relaxed, but this is not relaxed, its just plain bad service and a number of the guests we spoke to were frustrated too. After one long wait our dinner arrived and one dish was wrong, they took it away, 20min later they came back with the correct meal but no apologies or offer to warm the other meal just put on the table. We stayed as part of our honeymoon which i wouldn’t recommended, there are no special touches like flowers, wine, upgrade or even a welcome card etc for you as we found in the other hotels we stayed in during our time away. We didn’t even get a room with a double bed, we had to complain to the Virgin rep even to get them to push them together for us which wasn’t ideal. Being British we made the best of it as constantly complaining during your holiday just spoils it but a number of guests did leave and we would if we could in the first few days.
I sound harsh on this review but i have to be honest and say when you have the sun, and great natural features like this hotel has then getting the other bits right should be easy.
I’d stay somewhere else if you want somewhere that is based on more than the location. Service is king!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
#3 of 10 in Saint Peter Parish
The Crane Resort
The Crane Resort
#1 of 4 in Saint Philip Parish

Been to Sugar Cane Club Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!