Just returned from a week at the Sugar Cane and considering the official rating is 3.5 the hotel is very good.
Our room was located in the main block on the ground floor. The rooms are very spacious, with living/kitchen area, sleeping area and bathroom. I do agree with some previous reviews in that the rooms do need updating, but they are clean and comfortable. It was really nice having a room on the ground floor as we had a veranda and sun beds just outside, very convenient for when it rained as we could just run in and out as needed.
The down side to the location of our room was firstly it was very near to the staff entrance and it could become very noisy (especially with the leaf blowers). Just because they are up and about at 7.00am, doesn't mean we want to be too!! The second reason is the Island Safari trips......Near enough everyday the Island Safari trips stop off with at least 2 or 3 trucks worth of tourists who aren't staying there to use the toilet, have lunch and presumably to have a wander round the gulley to look at the monkeys. We nicknamed it goldfish bowl time....They seemed to wander around the hotel as they pleased having a good old stare and some even using the pool and wandering in to guests rooms to have a look around. In my opinion, this is not acceptable and needs to stop for the sake of the guests staying at SCC. If you are over the other side of the hotel it mostly doesn't really affect you, but to those in the main block I felt it was an issue.
The food is good, especially for a 3.5 star. The breakfasts are good, there is quite a good choice for lunch. Maybe they could offer smaller lighter lunches as an alternative? Evening meals are good and we had around 3 buffet meals whilst we were there. They were OK, but I am fussy and I didn't starve. One of the issues with the evening meals is that the Almond Beach guests are allowed to book (as we had to) to eat at our hotel. Due to this, some of the guests staying at SCC had to wait until the later sitting which I didn't feel was right. Priority should be given to guests staying at SCC.
A big thank you to Neil who mainly ran the poolside bar...that poor chap runs around doing everything. Sadly when he's not there you certainly notice the difference. Also a big thank you to Rodney who helped out with my mosi bites by getting me some aloe vera and to Sadie who was always helpful.
As in previous reviews, the staff are in the main very good, however there are a handful who could do with returning to the charm school from whence they came.
I had a massage at the spa which was excellent, a must if you get the chance.
We went into Speightstown one day and had a wander along the beach, we used the Shuttle bus provided by the hotel which is very handy.
The hotel isn't on the beach, and I must admit I did miss this, but the beach was accessible if you wanted to go and the hotel provide a packed lunch if you want to go.
All in all the hotel is lovely, but there are improvements/changes that could be made to make it so much better and make guests feel they are the priority not those staying at the Almond Beach.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Sugar Cane Club Hotel & Spa is graciously located on the North West Coast & Caribbean side of the Island Barbados. This 4 star deluxe Boutique Hotel is set upon a hilltop and has a charming Mediterranean architecture amongst tranquil and tropical ambiance. The Hotel & Spa is known for its warm hospitality, delivery of outstanding staff, service, and facilities in a casual setting. The 45 all-suite Hotel boasts one of the islands leading spa’s, two restaurants and bars, two swimming pools, a guest lounge, gym, art gallery, souvenir shop, squash court, and complimentary shuttle service amongst many more. Sugar Cane Club only accepts teenagers from ages 14 years and up, and no children ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Booking.com, TravelUp, TripOnline SA, Orbitz, Hotwire, Cancelon and getaroom.com so you can book your Sugar Cane Club Hotel & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sugar Cane Club Hotel And Spa
- Sugar Cane Club Hotel Saint Peter
- Sugar Cane Hotel
- Sugar Cane Saint Peter
- Sugar Cane Club Hotel & Spa Barbados/Saint Peter Parish