“Stunning value for money”

Sugar Cane Club Hotel & Spa
Reviewed October 19, 2013

This is our 7th visit to the Sugar Cane Club. There is a very good reason for this. It's simply amazing! We have just returned from 10 nights here and have already booked for next year! The hilltop setting gives you lovely island breezes in manicured gardens and spotless pool. We have done beachfront and frankly prefer this inland location. If you like the beach there is a regular free shuttle serveice from the hotel.

Our room was a suite comprising kitchen, living room and bedroom with ensuite. There are also private balconies overlooking the grounds where we were lucky enough to spot monkeys especially first thing in the morning.

The staff really care and were all brilliant. Roy the barman even invited us back to his home on his day off and cooked us lunch as well as presenting us with his homemade spice mixture! Niel showed us cocktail recipes, David the chef ran a brief cooking demonstration and "the general" took us on a free glass botton boat trip to swim with turtles. There is a great spa that we used several times as well as a small gift shop. Other facilities are a well fitted gym and squash court althou why anyone would want to play in that heat is beyond me...but some people did! This is also an adults only resort.

A large number of guests are return custom, some many more times than us. Say no more!

I believe some improvements to furnishings and fixtures in the public areas are shortly to be done. Bathrooms becoming a bit well used and could do with attention in the rooms we have had but served our needs ok.

Room Tip: First floor rooms outside the main complex have tiled steps that can by slippery when wet but these...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank colbrown
SCCManagement, General Manager at Sugar Cane Club Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded October 25, 2013

Dear Colbrown, , it was an honor having you stay with us right here at Sugar Cane Club Hotel & Spa for the 7th time. Our team certainly delivers exceptional service with care and attention to detail. Thank you for letting the whole World knows that we have exceeded your expectation by delivering a true Barbadian experience. I have delivered your compliments to all staff mentioned and they are elated that you have been coming to SCC for so long and have taken the time from your busy schedule to tell the world about us on Tripadvisor. We are working really hard to improve the hotel on every level and are passionate about being the best we can be. We are all looking forward to your 8th visit and many more!
Many thanks from the entire SCC team.
Best regards
Peter Charles

Reviewed October 17, 2013 via mobile

My fiancée and I spent more money on this holiday than we have ever done so in the past.
We have been here a week already and have 3 more nights.

Though the hotel is small and there is little to do, we knew this when booking and as we were after a break to recharge our batteries, this is not an issue.

What is an issue though is the continuous problem of getting a drink.

There is a bar at the pool and another in the main building.
The pool bar is regularly unstaffed.
The bar inside is hit and miss with service from one of the basemen being particularly tardy.
I've mentioned the issue to the general manager and it has got no better.
I don't want to know that the barman hasn't got any plastic glasses, it's his job to ensure that he has.
I don't want him to tell me Togo to the pool bar when I've waited there to be served and there is no barman in sight!

Oh and the wi-fi is very hit and miss.

Please Sugar Cane sort out these issues!

Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank ATBird
SCCManagement, General Manager at Sugar Cane Club Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded October 23, 2013

Dear ATBird, Many thanks for sharing this review of your recent visit to SCC as we encourage and appreciate all guest feedback. It aides us in our continued efforts to provide our guests with an exceptional holiday experience and it is disheartened when our guests have a less than satisfactory experience as it is our aim to always provide fond memories.

I sincerely apologize for this unfortunate experience at the bars as this is certainly not our usual standard. We have taken your remarks very seriously and remedial action has been taken to correct such. We are not always perfect, but when we disappoint we try to fix what went wrong, a policy that has served us well in the past. We have many repeat guests who do enjoy what we have to offer, and come every year because of it.

I do wish to thank you for your comments and hope to welcome you back one day in the near future, as I’m confident we can far exceed your expectations by providing you with the experience expected in its entirety.

Our I.T department will take a look at our Wi Fi to ensure it’s not an ongoing issue. Unfortunately in the Caribbean we suffer from very slow speeds and low bandwidth.

Many thanks from the entire SCC team

Best Wishes...Peter Charles

Reviewed October 17, 2013

We've just returned from our 7th visit, staying at this gem of a hotel. As always, a warm welcome from Michelle who was armed with cold flannels & rum punch to 'liven' us up after a long day travelling.The new chef, David Yarde, is to be complimented on his culinery skills & we enjoyed every meal that we had at the SCC. For an AI holiday the food,the care & the friendliness of the staff were exceptional.It always feels like home, from the moment we arrive until the inevitable time when we have to say goodbye.This hotel will be on our holiday radar for many years to come (hopefully)!

Room Tip: Aim for rooms on the top to benefit from the quiet/ sea views/privacy.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank minim0use
SCCManagement, General Manager at Sugar Cane Club Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded October 22, 2013

Dear Guests, Many Many thanks for such a wonderful review on your recent stay at Sugar Cane Club Hotel & Spa. Your 7th visit and counting, thank you ever so much for letting the World know how much you have enjoyed the care and attention that you can only experience at SCC.
We are so delighted to know you have enjoyed our food, service and facilities and we do look forward to welcoming you back home!
Best wishes......Peter Charles

Reviewed October 12, 2013

I principally booked this hotel even though I had initial reservations with it being so small and not on the beach, because of the reviews I read on here! So I was expecting a lot and ....... I wasn't disappointed!

Arrival: wonderful welcome

Rooms: nice surprise to have a separate living area and kitchenette . Bathroom could do with little updating but great space overall. Kept wonderfully clean and yes the tv is in the living area but that's coz there's where the seating area is and they couldn't really place one in the bedroom as well! There are 2 love seats to sit on to watch it anyway which are more than adequate!
We had an upstairs room with a sea view and great balcony to sit on and watch the wildlife although I think I was about the inky person who never saw one of the monkeys (#disappointed)

staff: all very pleasant and the manager Peter is very hands on and welcoming and it was nice to meet the owners son on couple of occasions too. Shows they care about the hotel and guests

food: excellent. Never had such top class food in an all inclusive. The breakfast buffet was more than adequate. Lunch time menu excellent and dinner excellent as well. We were there a week and on our last night the menu was different so think they must change it. Anyway there is always a different fish dish of the day so if you like fish you don't have a problem. The snack menu is also great and available on request. The drinks that are available are also very varied and you ate spoilt for choice. Sometimes the service was a little slow in the bar area and wasn't always manned though though. the Buffet food nights were not our favourite but you could still find something to eat

ambience: this is a small hotel but it is very quiet and relaxing (and no kids!)and gives you the chance to mingle and meet your fellow guests so if you don't like that then this is not the place for you. We met some really nice people.

Facilities: nice pool area. Had great massage at the spa and the free boat trip is a must do and the managers rum lunch party a nice touch. The nights the entertainment were on were the best and my only complaint was tht this didn't happen on more nights ( only 3 out of the 7 when I think minimum should've been 5).

I am a beach person and as I said hesitated to stay here with it nt being beachfront but the shuttle service is good and you can always book it off schedule for a small fee. however after staying here when I return to Barbados I will look no further than this place, I can say no more!

Room Tip: If u don't like creepy crawlies I'd ask for a room above ground - we were in the main buildi...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank cabbie61
SCCManagement, General Manager at Sugar Cane Club Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded October 16, 2013

Dear Cabbie61, Thank you for sharing this fantastic review and many thanks for highlighting those aspects of which we take great pride and that is our staff, excellent customer service, exceptionally well kept Garden and rooms with amazing views. We are truly delighted you had such a fantastic time here with us and we look forward to welcoming you back very soon to experience the wonders of SCC.
We appreciate your staying with us and please let me know if I may ever be of service.
Best Wishes......Peter Charles

Reviewed October 11, 2013

This is one of the best hotels I have ever stayed in!!

The staff are just amazing. They make your holiday a true experience, nothing is to much trouble for them, in order to make sure you have a memorable vacation.
I was a solo traveller at this hotel, but I never felt alone, both the staff & other guests made sure of that. I was welcomed on arrival by Peter Chares the manager, a warm friendly man, who was very hands on around the hotel. Neil, Roy & Tonia made sure I was never short of a drink. Priscilla...an amazing women, who somehow managed to book me into everything the hotel was offering, before I evan knew I wanted to try it!! Ryan...what can I say, this man recommended food to me the first two nights, after that HE was choosing my meals for me, I would never have tried the full varied menu had it not been for him. David Yarde the executive chef, who makes amazing 5* food night after night is truly a credit to this hotel.

The hotel is small & quite, with a wonderful ambience. Its away from the beach however a shuttle is provided at regular intervals should you want to go to the beach. The hotel is surrounded by lush vegetation, with immaculate gardens & very cute monkeys!! You will relax at this hotel, its very calming!

Rooms are large with seperate a bedroom, bathroom, kitchen & living area. All kept immaculately clean by the wonderful maids.

Food is absolutely amazing, with a varied choice on the menu on a la carte nights & buffet nights alike. Lunch is also a la carte with food made to order. Breakfast is a buffet with eggs made to order. Scc has some of the best food i've ever tasted, It was great to have food made to order.

Barbados is beautiful, having travelled the world. I was left wondering why I hadn't visited this island earlier!

I really didn't want to leave this hotel & I will be going back!!

Finally, this hotel is rated a 3* but in my opinion it should be 5*

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
6  Thank Honeyhun
SCCManagement, General Manager at Sugar Cane Club Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded October 15, 2013

Dear Honeyhun, Wow! What an amazing review on your recent stay at SCC. It is evident that we treat all guests like family. We try to create a Home away from Home for all our guests and it seemed that is what SCC has been for you. We are all very proud of the hotel and have a passion for entertaining guests at our Home; our team certainly is an excellent one as they ensure consistency in our product and the delivery of service. We are all working hard improve the hotel on every level and are passionate about being the best we can be.
We truly look forward to welcoming you back to SCC in the very near future!
Regards from the entire SCC team!!!
Peter Charles

Reviewed October 11, 2013

We had a wonderful stay at the Sugar Cane club. The location was great, an easy 5 min free shuttle from the beach. I had worried about not being based on the beach, but was glad that we weren't, as the beaches are lined with busy hotels, so it was nice to get back to the tranquility of the Sugar Cane club. The food was up there with some of the best I have ever tasted in all inclusive and the Caribbean, gourmet, plenty to choose, the menu changed everyday and we never got bored once despite there only being two restaurants. We were excited to see what the talented chef would create every day... Swordfish, Mahi Mahi, Steak, fresh fish cakes... We felt spoilt especially because the hotel is so reasonably priced for Barbados. The resort itself was spotless and lovely, so were the rooms. The rooms are colonial style and different to those we have had in Mexico, but being in Barbados more than compensates for not having all the mod-cons. Barbados is truly beautiful, extremely safe - we hired a car for most of the week and went out and saw the island - highly recommend this! We have never felt safe enough to go out on our own on any other Caribbean Island before, so Barbados was a breath of fresh air. Adults only at the Sugar Cane was a bonus! Don't hesitate, you'll have a great time. We stayed for a week but met lots of people who were repeat guests or were staying for 3 weeks because they love it there so much!

Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank deonnedevers

Dear Guests, Many thanks for posting such a great review of your recent stay at Sugar Cane Club Hotel & spa. We do no less than to exceed expectations to all who visit our well loved property. It is always rewarding to know that we lived up to every aspect of your expectation, from the food, service and the facilities. Our World class Spa offers treatments that are truly amazing. Our staffs are truly a gem as we all share the same goal and that is total guests satisfaction.
It was a pleasure having you stayed with us at SCC and we sincerely thank you for choosing our property for your Barbados experience.
Best regards.....Peter Charles

Reviewed October 11, 2013 via mobile

Intimate ,Spanish style, boutique hotel. Was here for a work event, and excited to come back to island to stay here! Staff was great, food was great, but it's the vibe that really makes this place special! You can really let go and relax here! It's a paradise!

Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Sean R

Dear Sean R, Great feedback! Many thanks for sharing this review! At SCC we continuously strive to provide our guests with an enjoyable and memorable holiday experience and from your comments it seems as though we achieved this. We appreciate you staying with us and please let me know if I may ever be of service.
Best regards.... Peter Charles

The Crane Resort
The Crane Resort
#1 of 4 in Saint Philip Parish
The Club, Barbados Resort and Spa
The Club, Barbados Resort and Sp...
#11 of 26 in Saint James Parish

Been to Sugar Cane Club Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!