“Had high expectations to live up to!”

Sugar Cane Club Hotel & Spa
Reviewed October 12, 2013

I principally booked this hotel even though I had initial reservations with it being so small and not on the beach, because of the reviews I read on here! So I was expecting a lot and ....... I wasn't disappointed!

Arrival: wonderful welcome

Rooms: nice surprise to have a separate living area and kitchenette . Bathroom could do with little updating but great space overall. Kept wonderfully clean and yes the tv is in the living area but that's coz there's where the seating area is and they couldn't really place one in the bedroom as well! There are 2 love seats to sit on to watch it anyway which are more than adequate!
We had an upstairs room with a sea view and great balcony to sit on and watch the wildlife although I think I was about the inky person who never saw one of the monkeys (#disappointed)

staff: all very pleasant and the manager Peter is very hands on and welcoming and it was nice to meet the owners son on couple of occasions too. Shows they care about the hotel and guests

food: excellent. Never had such top class food in an all inclusive. The breakfast buffet was more than adequate. Lunch time menu excellent and dinner excellent as well. We were there a week and on our last night the menu was different so think they must change it. Anyway there is always a different fish dish of the day so if you like fish you don't have a problem. The snack menu is also great and available on request. The drinks that are available are also very varied and you ate spoilt for choice. Sometimes the service was a little slow in the bar area and wasn't always manned though though. the Buffet food nights were not our favourite but you could still find something to eat

ambience: this is a small hotel but it is very quiet and relaxing (and no kids!)and gives you the chance to mingle and meet your fellow guests so if you don't like that then this is not the place for you. We met some really nice people.

Facilities: nice pool area. Had great massage at the spa and the free boat trip is a must do and the managers rum lunch party a nice touch. The nights the entertainment were on were the best and my only complaint was tht this didn't happen on more nights ( only 3 out of the 7 when I think minimum should've been 5).

I am a beach person and as I said hesitated to stay here with it nt being beachfront but the shuttle service is good and you can always book it off schedule for a small fee. however after staying here when I return to Barbados I will look no further than this place, I can say no more!

Room Tip: If u don't like creepy crawlies I'd ask for a room above ground - we were in the main buildi...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank cabbie61
SCCManagement, General Manager at Sugar Cane Club Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded October 16, 2013

Dear Cabbie61, Thank you for sharing this fantastic review and many thanks for highlighting those aspects of which we take great pride and that is our staff, excellent customer service, exceptionally well kept Garden and rooms with amazing views. We are truly delighted you had such a fantastic time here with us and we look forward to welcoming you back very soon to experience the wonders of SCC.
We appreciate your staying with us and please let me know if I may ever be of service.
Best Wishes......Peter Charles

Write a ReviewReviews (1,206)

Reviewed October 11, 2013

This is one of the best hotels I have ever stayed in!!

The staff are just amazing. They make your holiday a true experience, nothing is to much trouble for them, in order to make sure you have a memorable vacation.
I was a solo traveller at this hotel, but I never felt alone, both the staff & other guests made sure of that. I was welcomed on arrival by Peter Chares the manager, a warm friendly man, who was very hands on around the hotel. Neil, Roy & Tonia made sure I was never short of a drink. Priscilla...an amazing women, who somehow managed to book me into everything the hotel was offering, before I evan knew I wanted to try it!! Ryan...what can I say, this man recommended food to me the first two nights, after that HE was choosing my meals for me, I would never have tried the full varied menu had it not been for him. David Yarde the executive chef, who makes amazing 5* food night after night is truly a credit to this hotel.

The hotel is small & quite, with a wonderful ambience. Its away from the beach however a shuttle is provided at regular intervals should you want to go to the beach. The hotel is surrounded by lush vegetation, with immaculate gardens & very cute monkeys!! You will relax at this hotel, its very calming!

Rooms are large with seperate a bedroom, bathroom, kitchen & living area. All kept immaculately clean by the wonderful maids.

Food is absolutely amazing, with a varied choice on the menu on a la carte nights & buffet nights alike. Lunch is also a la carte with food made to order. Breakfast is a buffet with eggs made to order. Scc has some of the best food i've ever tasted, It was great to have food made to order.

Barbados is beautiful, having travelled the world. I was left wondering why I hadn't visited this island earlier!

I really didn't want to leave this hotel & I will be going back!!

Finally, this hotel is rated a 3* but in my opinion it should be 5*

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
6  Thank Honeyhun
SCCManagement, General Manager at Sugar Cane Club Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded October 15, 2013

Dear Honeyhun, Wow! What an amazing review on your recent stay at SCC. It is evident that we treat all guests like family. We try to create a Home away from Home for all our guests and it seemed that is what SCC has been for you. We are all very proud of the hotel and have a passion for entertaining guests at our Home; our team certainly is an excellent one as they ensure consistency in our product and the delivery of service. We are all working hard improve the hotel on every level and are passionate about being the best we can be.
We truly look forward to welcoming you back to SCC in the very near future!
Regards from the entire SCC team!!!
Peter Charles

Reviewed October 11, 2013

We had a wonderful stay at the Sugar Cane club. The location was great, an easy 5 min free shuttle from the beach. I had worried about not being based on the beach, but was glad that we weren't, as the beaches are lined with busy hotels, so it was nice to get back to the tranquility of the Sugar Cane club. The food was up there with some of the best I have ever tasted in all inclusive and the Caribbean, gourmet, plenty to choose, the menu changed everyday and we never got bored once despite there only being two restaurants. We were excited to see what the talented chef would create every day... Swordfish, Mahi Mahi, Steak, fresh fish cakes... We felt spoilt especially because the hotel is so reasonably priced for Barbados. The resort itself was spotless and lovely, so were the rooms. The rooms are colonial style and different to those we have had in Mexico, but being in Barbados more than compensates for not having all the mod-cons. Barbados is truly beautiful, extremely safe - we hired a car for most of the week and went out and saw the island - highly recommend this! We have never felt safe enough to go out on our own on any other Caribbean Island before, so Barbados was a breath of fresh air. Adults only at the Sugar Cane was a bonus! Don't hesitate, you'll have a great time. We stayed for a week but met lots of people who were repeat guests or were staying for 3 weeks because they love it there so much!

Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank deonnedevers

Dear Guests, Many thanks for posting such a great review of your recent stay at Sugar Cane Club Hotel & spa. We do no less than to exceed expectations to all who visit our well loved property. It is always rewarding to know that we lived up to every aspect of your expectation, from the food, service and the facilities. Our World class Spa offers treatments that are truly amazing. Our staffs are truly a gem as we all share the same goal and that is total guests satisfaction.
It was a pleasure having you stayed with us at SCC and we sincerely thank you for choosing our property for your Barbados experience.
Best regards.....Peter Charles

Reviewed October 11, 2013 via mobile

Intimate ,Spanish style, boutique hotel. Was here for a work event, and excited to come back to island to stay here! Staff was great, food was great, but it's the vibe that really makes this place special! You can really let go and relax here! It's a paradise!

Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Sean R

Dear Sean R, Great feedback! Many thanks for sharing this review! At SCC we continuously strive to provide our guests with an enjoyable and memorable holiday experience and from your comments it seems as though we achieved this. We appreciate you staying with us and please let me know if I may ever be of service.
Best regards.... Peter Charles

Reviewed October 10, 2013

Stayed at the Sugar Cane Hotel on Barbados, first week in October, 2013. It is a small hotel which we like, with comfortable rooms and a nice pool. All members of staff made us feel valued. The hotel is not located on the beach, but a shuttle service is available. Food and wine lived up to expectations, but the menu did not change whilst we were there; adequate for our stay, but repetitive for longer stays.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Mikef1947

Dear Mikef1947,I am very pleased to know you enjoyed your stay with us at Sugar Cane Club Hotel & Spa. I agree with your comment concerning our staff; they provide excellent customer service. They are some of the warmest, friendliest, and certainly have a great sense of humour! We hope to see you back soon.
Best wishes....Peter Charles.

Reviewed October 7, 2013

After a very successful visit as a couple last year I decided to return - this time with my mother. Although in her late 70s she loves the sun and a week of pampering seemed a good way to set her up for the British winter. Sugar Cane did not disappoint - we were given a ground floor room and everything was perfect as before - superb service, lovely staff who genuinely remembered me from last year, wide menu, tasty drinks - we had a perfect week of 'us time' and relaxation. Thanks again to Peter, Rod and all the management team who ensure that they hand pick the great staff to deliver this experience for us.

Room Tip: I prefer the rooms nearer the main block as you are slightly higher up and have a view to the sea, o...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank vbkbaker

Dear Guests, We are so glad that you totally enjoyed your stay with us last time and decided to come back for your second visit with no disappointments. Thank you for taking the time to post this brief but excellent review as it assist us in improving our service delivery! I am glad you felt we were able to provide you with an experience that you may only get at SCC and we sincerely look forward to welcoming you back to SCC!
Best wishes.....Peter Charles

Reviewed October 5, 2013

Stayed at the sugar cane from 23rd September until the 3rd October. It was a great holiday and really liked Barbados. This is a nice hotel that is very peaceful and set amongst some beautiful gardens. it is a really small hotel so you don't have to walk far to get where you want and the hotel is away from a town so no noise hassle or distractions. You can relax and enjoy the sun. Some of the staff like Sade and Roy are great and welcoming. The trip to see the turtles was excellent as you see a lot of the coast and big houses, alongside swimming with the turtles.

However, there are some thing we did not like about this hotel and it compares poorly with other all inclusive's.

The food was ok, the a la carte menu nor lunch menus did not change over the 10 days and breakfast had a very limited selection that got boring. The hotel puts on buffet nights - the European one is quite poor and not very nice food. Also, there is no choice so you have to do a la carte or buffet - you cannot choose between the two.

I know it is a small hotel, but only twice in ten days did someone come round the pool and take drink orders. There is a bar at the pool, but this was not in use, nor did the fridge in the room have any free waters drinks etc in it.

We stayed in a sea view room, where you can see the ocean on the skyline but no beach and just trees etc, this was a little disappointing. The room itself was tired looking, the shower was a little cheap. The room did have a tv but it is in the lounge area ( sofas are tiny) and only has a few limited channels. We had lots of centipedes in our room, and speaking to other guests, this seems the norm and is probably due to the location of the hotel.

I feel the staff are nice, but the service is not legendary, sometimes they don't smile enough and don't remember name etc. One waitress in the chattel seemed really exasperated and rude, the chef himself had to do most of the table waiting. I do agree with the previous review that the guests are nice at this hotel though.

Overall, I think anyone would enjoy the hotel if seeking a relaxing holiday. I am surprised at how other reviews are not critical at all and we chose this hotel due to the feedback, not sure if we missed something that others are seeing/experiencing. We are not normally critical of where we stay.

Room Tip: Given my feedback on the rooms
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
6  Thank boy1977

Dear Boy 1977,
Many thanks for sharing this review of your recent visit to SCC as we encourage and appreciate all guest feedback, It aides us in our continued efforts to provide our guests with an exceptional holiday experience.
We sincerely apologize for this unfortunate dining experience you had in La Salsa restaurant, as this is certainly not our usual standard. We have taken your remarks very seriously and remedial action has been taken to correct such. We are not always perfect, but when we disappoint we try to fix what went wrong, a policy that has served us well in the past. We have many repeat guests who do enjoy what we have to offer, and come every year because of it.
You did mention a few of our great employees who you thought were helpful, I assure you I will pass on your comments to them
I do wish to thank you for your constructive comments. We truly hope that we have the opportunity to welcome you back to SCC in the near future, as we are confident that we can far exceed your expectations by providing you with the true SCC experience in its entirety.
Best Wishes...Peter Charles.

Hilton Barbados Resort
Hilton Barbados Resort
#1 of 6 in Bridgetown
Infinity on the Beach

Been to Sugar Cane Club Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!