“Viva SCC”

Sugar Cane Club Hotel & Spa
Melksham, England, United Kingdom
“Viva SCC”
Reviewed July 4, 2013

I got back this week with a big smile on my face. SCC staff and directors are to be congratulated in providing tremendous value even in the rain. I took a gamble booking just a week, and being a single male not only did the staff look after me, so did a number of the other guests. The atmosphere encourages relaxation, the events organised by the hotel stimulate interaction between the guests and I felt I was with friends in less than 24 hours. So well done Peter, Roddy and co., I really enjoyed my stay, but next time please push me out of the hotel to see more of the island, you made me very lazy! I am planning to return as soon as possible.

Room Tip: If you're worried about creepy crawlies try to get a sea view room, slightly better view, and if...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
4 Thank JohnHywelDavies
SCCManagement, General Manager at Sugar Cane Club Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, July 11, 2013
Dear JohnHywelDavies, It was a pleasure to have you stay with us at Sugar Cane Club Hotel & Spa. We sincerely thank you for choosing our property for your first Barbadian experience. We try to create a Home away from Home for all our guests and it seemed that is what SCC has been for you. We are all very proud of the hotel and have a passion for entertaining guests at our Home. We truly look forward to welcoming you back to SCC in the very near future!
Please let me know if I may be of service!
Best wishes Peter Charles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (367)
Bathgate, Scotland
Reviewed June 28, 2013

We visited Sugar Cane Club in 2008, for our third time, shortly after the hotel re-opened after it's refurbishment (see my earlier review entitled Simply Paradise - says it all really) and we thought that that visit couldn'-t be improved on. How wrong we were. This time we booked an all inclusive package and were a bit sceptical given some of the negative responses on Trip Advisor. All i can say is this visit was simply heaven. I don't know what people are expecting but the food was absolutely terrific. The choice is amazing, from breakfast (changed daily and includes all sorts of choices) to lunch, which can be eaten at the pool, chosen from a bespoke barqueque or from the lunch menu in the resturant - with daily specials to the evening meal - again with daily specials, fish and main plus choices of soups. The al la catre menu was changed in our second week giving a whole new set of choices - not to mention the barbeque night and buffet evenings by the candle lit pool with excellent entertainment! (especially the lady and gent who provided a jazz/blues modern set - they were brilliant!. We had an ocean view room - something new to us as we had always had a garden view room - definately worth it. We went on the gully walk one morning - this was really interesting and the guy who took us was very informative and funny - ending up with a drink from a freshly cut coconut. As always all the staff were a delight - especially Sade and Sharon - a new addition to the team - she is a quiet gem and so helpful. The grounds people, housekeepers, spa staff, shop staff and the people in the background, kitchen staff, chef are all a credit to the management of Roddy and his dad! We also ate in the other resturant - Sandy's - one evening - it was just a shame that this hidden gem isn't so well advertised - maybe a board in reception on the nights it is open would be helpful. A more limited choice, but still a choice! One tip - take along some bug spray and sit back and enjoy the peaceful location of the gully. The rooms were spotless and well maintained - our sink was leaking on our last day but quickly rectified within the hour for the next person. Ice lollies at the pool in the afternoon and an amazing choice of cocktails were also included in the all inclusive package. The whole holiday was wonderful and if you want peace, quiet, pampering, to be well fed and well looked after by a tremendous team in a gorgeous setting you wont be disappointed. Thank you all at Sugar Cane Club. We really hope to be back in 2014.

Room Tip: I assume that every room had a bed as comfy as ours!
5 Thank helen_cullion
SCCManagement, General Manager at Sugar Cane Club Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, July 3, 2013
Dear Guest, Thank you so very much for your return visit to Sugar Cane Club Hotel & Spa for your ultimate vacation. We really do appreciate you taking the time from your busy schedule to Post this amazing review on Tripadvisor about your recent stay at SCC. It is always rewarding to know that we lived up to every aspect of your expectation, from the food, service, down to the cleanliness of your room. We are all very proud of the hotel and have a passion in the delivery of service we provide. Our team certainly is an excellent one as they ensure consistency in our product. We are all working hard improve the hotel on every level and are passionate about being the best we can be.
We truly look forward to welcoming you back to SCC in the very near future!
Best regards Peter Charles.
Somerset
Reviewed June 27, 2013

we spent 11 days here in june and we chose this hotel because of the reviews, and they were all correct, all the staff are great the food is excellent the boat trip to swim with the turtles was just one high spot of our time there, The spa is well worth a visit. the only down side is it is a little way out but I think that is made pretty clear. If you get up early and have a garden view room you might be as lucky as us and see the monkeys one morning we saw fourteen FAB.

2 Thank Redtommo
SCCManagement, General Manager at Sugar Cane Club Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, June 28, 2013
Dered,
Thank you for sharing this fantastic review and many thanks for highlighting those aspects of which we take great pride and that is our staff. SCC is one of the most relaxing places in Barbados. We are all very proud of the hotel and have a passion in the delivery of service we provide.We have been working really hard to make SCC a very special place for food service and facilities, and I am glad you felt we were able to provide you with such.We sincerely hope to welcome back in the future. Best Regards Peter Charles
Norwich
Reviewed June 24, 2013

Just returned after 9 nights at the sugar cane. We were initially put in room 113 a garden view, Straight away we noticed millipedes of at least 4-5 inches on the high ceiling. I was ok with this at first but on the following night I was awoken to one crawling up my leg under the covers! Also the toilet was not working properly even after requesting maintenance to mend it. We requested a move which was done almost immediatley to a first floor room, so no chance of climbing millipedes! Gardens are kept beautifully and the Gully walk very well done by Roderick. Food on the whole very good apart from the buffet which was cold! Location is a bit out of the way and a good mile work to the beach, but a taxi free of charge is available. Speightstown is not worth a look, but would recommend hiring a car and getting out and seeing the island, which we did and found the Bajan's very friendly. My husband left his watch in safe by mistake when we left and we had an email to say it was found by the cleaners - very honest of them. We would recommend this hotel to our friends and if we ever go back to Barbados would use again

Review collected in partnership with Virgin Holidays

5 Thank henry7Norwich
Dear Henry7Norwich,
Just wanted to thank you for your recent stay here at our hotel! So glad you were able to experience our authentic SCC hospitality. We look forward to seeing you back in Barbados soon! Best regards Peter Charles
Darlington, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 17, 2013

My husband and I stayed at Sugar Cane from 9th May for 10 nights and could not fault anything at the hotel. Staff are all wonderful, extremely friendly and nothing was too much trouble!! Lunch and evening meal were a la carte which we didn't expect and plenty of choice. My husband and I are keen walkers so it was no problem for us to walk to the beach but the hotel shuttle bus only took 5 mins to Heywoods Beach which is lovely and quiet sometimes only the two of us there.
Richard really enjoyed seeing other parts of the island courtesy of the free mountain bike hire.I work for a leading travel company and have no hesitation in recommending the Sugarcane Club to my customers. Really looking forward to returning to the hotel in the very near future.
Many thanks again to all the staff
Richard and Carol

Room Tip: all rooms are excellent - we paid extra for a high floor ocean view room which was lovely nice and q...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank carol b
SCCManagement, General Manager at Sugar Cane Club Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, June 22, 2013
Dear Carol B,
Thank you for sharing your review and experience of Sugar Cane Club Hotel & Spa with us and the rest of the World. SCC is a very special place for us in Barbados, and we excelled at delivering the best Barbadian experience there is. We do wish to thank you for your fabulous remarks regarding our Staff, Food and facilities. Our staffs are what make this hotel great. We do appreciate you staying with us and please let me know if I may ever be of service!
Best regards Peter Charles!
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 16, 2013

me and my wife travelled to the scc for our 20th anniversary and the management sent us a bottle of champagne which surprised us, it just arrived in our room.
firstly the bad points- there really are none, the people that complain about this hotel are too stuck up to realise this is a 3.5 star (although I would rate it 4.5).it clearly states that it is not on the beach, but this really is not a problem if you are looking for a peaceful and tranquil resort.
now the good points, fantastic staff, food, and the rooms are more than adequate, free massage in the spa, glass bottom boat trip, bus to local beaches and town, even a free trip into Bridgetown for shopping etc. we met some great people(guests) but the staff are really a credit to the hotel ALL very friendly and welcoming. this is the first hotel we both said we would definitely return to, I don't wish to single out certain staff because they were all brilliant but just a mention to tameisha, we hope all goes well with the baby, ricardo who always had a smile and terresa for the beers, not to mention lavelle the hard working gardener(if that's how its spelt).the scc is a very friendly and beautiful hotel which is a credit to the people that run it, we will definitely return. my advice to anyone reading this is you will not be disappointed so book

Room Tip: we stayed in 301 which was literally 10 steps from pool bar and 15 steps from pool, exellent
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank gareth-anita
SCCManagement, General Manager at Sugar Cane Club Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, June 17, 2013
Dear Gareth-anita, It was an absolute pleasure to host you and your Wife for your 20th anniversary here at Sugar Cane Club Hotel & Spa. Thank you for posting this amazing review on your recent stay. We are so delighted that you had a lovely time with us and have exceeded your expectations. We have been working really hard to make SCC a very special place in service and facilities, our staffs are what make this hotel great. I will pass your compliments on to Tamisha, Ricardo and the rest of the team. We appreciate your staying with us and please let me know if I may ever be of service.
Best regards Peter Charles
Neath, Wales, Gods Country
Reviewed June 10, 2013

The Sugar Cans Club was everything we expected from a relaxing holiday, no kids and no forced entertainment. The accommodation was superb. The management and staff were exceptional. The food and drink on all inclusive was excellent. In addition the on site driver "Alex" was great. If you wanted to go into town or to the local beaches he would oblige. The staff in all areas from the management to the gardeners were so friendly (especially Sade in the restaurant and Tomishia in the bar). The twice weekly free trip to Bridgetown and the free glass Bottom boat swim with turtles were fantastic. David and his team in the kitchen always produced great quality food and the buffets and salads were great. We were able to watch the monkeys in the morning from our balcony. A free massage in the on site spa was a bonus and if you wanted they would deliver your lunch in the gazebo whilst you relaxed in the jacuzzi.
It was nice to meet Roddy and his parents (the owners). The General Manager Mr Peter Charles is always on hand and is the most friendly host. I would not hesitate to recommend this hotel.
Thanks once again for a fantastic fortnight
Kevin & Janice May

Room Tip: A view of the gulley will let you see the monkeys
3 Thank NeathRedcap
SCCManagement, General Manager at Sugar Cane Club Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, June 15, 2013
Dear Kevin & Janis, , Many thanks for sharing this review with the world! At SCC we continuously strive to provide our guests with an enjoyable and memorable holiday experience and from your comments it seems as though we achieved this.
Our team certainly is an excellent one and we thank you for highlighting the fantastic service provided by our team. I particularly appreciate you taking the time to mention Alex, Sade, Tamisha and of course the general, they are truly our best asset! I will pass on your praises to them all! Best Wishes Peter Charles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Saint Peter Parish
The Crane Resort
The Crane Resort
#1 of 4 in Saint Philip Parish
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,422 reviews

Been to Sugar Cane Club Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!