“Relax and unplug”

Sugar Cane Club Hotel & Spa
Reviewed October 8, 2012

Romantic, removed, lush, and beautiful. Don't go here expecting action - it's the opposite. And for the beginning of our honeymoon that's exactly what we needed.

Nearby Speightstown is a blast.

Only downside is that it's not on a beach. My recommendation would be to go here before you go to a hotel with a beach... I think it would be awfully tough to do it the other way around.

Rosita, the GM, is great.

Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank NYCviaMinnesota
Write a ReviewReviews (1,206)

Reviewed October 8, 2012

I had my vacation and wedding at the Sugar Cane Club last month, it was the most amazing experience! The property was absolutely gorgeous, and the staff went above and beyond to take care of any of our wants or needs. I have never felt more welcome at a resort, and I can't tell you how grateful I am for such an amazing stay.

I HIGHLY recommend getting married here. They made it absolutely stress free! The flowers were breath-taking and the cake was outstanding! I couldn't have asked for a more perfect day. Rosita made it wonderful by sharing her birthday with our wedding day. It was a great day for celebrations!

The pool was perfect. The rooms were spotless. Even the soap smelled so good!

The food was extremely tasty, and my husband and I now love flying fish! We didn't get an inclusive package, but we did eat several times at the restaurant. Every meal was delicious! The bar was so much fun! I am a rum drinker, and I loved the drink creations that Roy and Shamira made.They both were extremely friendly and professional. Both Peters also brought smiles to our faces. Our shuttle driver gave us an awesome history tour on the way to get our marriage license, and I feel like I'm forgetting others that made our stay so lovely, so I apologize, I should have written this review as soon as I got home from the trip! Either way, the ENTIRE staff made us feel at home.

I usually save the best for last: Sade. She is one of the most remarkable, extraordinary people I have met in a very long time. You will see her running around the hotel doing just about anything to keep the guests happy. She has a lot of pride in her job, and it shows. I'm very much looking forward to seeing her and the rest of the crew at the Sugar Cane Club again. I honestly couldn't thank them enough for one of the best trips of my life. We will be back as soon as possible!

Room Tip: The penthouse? To die for. :)
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank TravelingGrrlRock
Reviewed October 8, 2012

We visited the Sugar Cane in 2009, and always said it was a place we would go back to. In reality it is more a figure of speech for us as we like to go somewhere different and have never retuned to the same hotel before. However when searching for a holiday, we were so tempted when we saw a deal and knew that we would not be disappointed. I cannot fault this hotel in any way, it is a gem. The food is excellent and not to be compared to your usual run of the mill 'all inclusive'. Drinks are good quality. The setting is beautiful, you just feel so relaxed. The staff cannot do enough for you.

Even when we arrived, we were greeted with a old flannel and a glass of rum punch then we had a leak in our bathroom. We weren't worried as it was fixed within 20 minutes, but we were given a bottle of cava as a goodwill gesture, which was not expected but a very thoughtful touch. Along with the fact that on Saturday we were surprised by a beautiful bouquet of flowers and more Cava that was left in our room to mark our wedding anniversary, We were very touched by this.

All the staff are friendly and polite, as are most Barbadians. My only complaint is that I am so relaxed I just want to sleep all the time! Seriously everybody is in bed just after 9, most nights. Do not come here if you like wild nights and an animation team (my pet hate). The buffet nights around the pool have a lovely atmosphere and the setting is so picturesque.

I also had a massage whilst I was here, which was great, my only comment is that it was probably a little too gentle, maybe I am used to a deep tissue massage.

The pool is kept beautifully clean as is the whole resort. I can't honestly say I missed the beach too much, although it s breathtaking. Make sure you do the glass bottomed boat trip, which is free to all guests. This is great fun. Only minor comment to make is that last time drinks were provided on the boat, so we didn't take any water, and were very thirsty by the end. We also nearly missed it, not a huge deal, but everywhere it says it leaves at 1030 but on itinerary list it says 10am. Hotel were amazing and drive us down to meet the boat, so we joined them. So all was not lost!

We haven't gone home yet, but I already thinking how much I will miss it. Also you must have their vanilla ice cream, it is one of the reasons I came back! Make sure you bring mosquito repellent, they are quit rife.

There are lots of trips you can do, you can set your own pace, we have been very lazy and not done much this time. The weather has been fabulous. Book this or you will regret it, I promise! Don't tell too many people though, otherwise they will all want to come!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
7  Thank GillyBradley
Reviewed September 22, 2012

We are a pair of travelling oldies. Stayed in most things from a mud hut to The Shangra-La so feel like we 'been there, done it'!!!
Barbados is a regular watering hole for us, and we have stayed in various hotels on the lovely island..... then we found The Sugar Cane Club !!
We found it by accident, by 'surfing the net'. Be aware that whilst you can book the hotel direct, Virgin have it on there itinery as an 'all inclusive' but its well hidden, you have to enter 'Virgin holidays, Suger cane Club' Its worth the effort. We have been back 4 times !!
The SCC is tucked away in the countryside, 40 minutes from the airport, on a hillside with garden and seaview rooms, the sea being about half a mile away. We love the elevated, first floor, seaview rooms, but the garden rooms with the added chance of seeing the monkeys at work and play are also lovely.
The rooms are not rooms, they are apartments, Cleaned to perfection. Lovely bed in a medium sized room, lounge with comfortable bits, Kitchenette with everthing you need and last but deffinitely not least, a spacious balcony to sit with a rum punch at hand to soak up the gorgeous views.
The staff are all well trained, and seem to get everything just right. Roy, the barman, is part of the fixtures and fittings, and excellent. All the staff are first class, managed by Rod, owner, in partnership with Dad I think.
The food at every meal is great, mainly silver service in the lovely dining room which has one wall open to the seaview side, with blinds when needed, but usually open which adds to the overall holiday 'feel'.
There are many places within reach. Speightstown, Holetown, Bridgetown a bit further away, Go to Mullins on a Friday night for the Barbados party style fish experiece, Champers for a special meal on a jetty style restaurant with the sea under your feet, The Cliff is similar style.
The Fish Pot is great and is much nearer the SCC as is 'Waves'.
You may not be religious, but if you find yourself in a gospel bashing, music thumping church/hut one Sunday morning it will be an experience that will live with you forever !!!
In other words, A wonderful place to chill out, (dont go there if you want a rave).
So go on...... DO IT.......!!!!

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
7  Thank John P
Reviewed September 19, 2012

Three of my girlfriends and I visited the SCC June 14th-18th and really liked it! Since June is the off-season, it was very quiet and we saw only three or four other groups of people at the hotel (all of whom were very nice). Our first night there we ate at the buffet which I thought was delicious and there seemed to be lots of options for the two vegetarians in our group. Dessert was yummy and after we went into the little common area/music room which looks out at the pool and played monopoly where we witnessed a very quick downpour before calling it a night. The next morning we did the glass-bottomed boat tour/snorkel with sea turtles (on Fridays) which was absolutely awesome! We utilized our kitchenette for most lunches (after having gone to the grocery store about 5 mins away on the first day) and lazed by the pool most afternoons. If you get the chance to go out for dinner, I HIGHLY recommend Moontown, which was recommended to us by a bartender at SCC. The town is definitely a local hotspot with very few tourists but the Barracuda dinner I had at one of the outdoor restaurants was fantastic and drinks are cheap!! The staff at SCC is eerily aware of everything, not a bad thing! They always made sure we knew how we were getting home from wherever we were going prior to leaving, which was nice for a group of four 20-something women. They were beyond accommodating and helpful and always looking out for us. Overall, had a fantastic trip! Sidenote - I wouldn't recommend this place for people who want to party for eternity. I was completely happy just relaxing, but maybe others would like something more lively...

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
4  Thank Louise C
SCCManagement, Reservations department at Sugar Cane Club Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded September 20, 2012

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for posting this amazing review, we are delighted that you and your girlfriends had a lovely time with us.
Sugar Cane Club is great for its warm ambiance, tranquility and intimate setting, the perfect place for those who wish to get away and have a relaxing holiday.
We trust that you will return to our Island and the Sugar Cane Club Hotel & Spa in the near future, in the meantime please let everyone know about us!

Best Regards
From All of us!

Reviewed September 14, 2012

We have just spent a wonderful weeks holiday at the Sugar Cane Club but would recommend this hotel mainly for couples.
Our 17 year old son was with us and he found it quiet but still had a great relaxing time.
We stayed in the 2 bedroom Ginger Lilly apartment near the pool which was spacious,very clean and very comfortable indeed although its close proximity to the reception area above did mean some earlier than normal wake up calls! ie the reception phone at 5:30 am !.
The staff are a credit to the hotel without exception,when we had a slight problem with our safe it was attended to swiftly and always with a smile.
We did not use the all inclusive option as we prefer to travel around a bit and try local restaurants and beaches etc but when we did have an odd breakfast or lunch it was excellent.
One point which is not clear on the web site is the need for long trousers to be worn for evening attendance in the restaurant and bar area,this rather limited us a bit as my son didnt bring any as the weather forcast was temperatures in excess of 30 degrees! although we did have very smart designer shorts with us these were still not deemed appropriate.
Just a point of note for future travellers!
All in all a great couples resort ,very clean,very comfortable and would return at the drop of a hat!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
5  Thank EnglandPokie
SCCManagement, Reservations Department at Sugar Cane Club Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded September 20, 2012

Dear Visitor,

Thank you for taking the time to post this review, It was a pleasure having you stay with us.
Our staff is one of our biggest assets as we try to deliver and maintain a service that is second to none.
So sorry for the inconvenience of your not being aware that long trousers are required for evening dinner but we would try to communicate this more effectively to avoid future misunderstanding.
Thank you once again for choosing Sugar Cane Club Hotel & Spa and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

King regards,
Rosita - Reservations

Reviewed September 14, 2012

we stayes here for 3 days in late august
this was one of the best hotels we have stayed in the service by the staff was wonderful and nothing was to much trouble

The rooms were beautiful and well equipped food at every meal was great and the little touches like supplying you with a packed lunch if out for the day was very good

the grounds were immaculate and the walk that we had through the"gulley" with rod was very interesting

the manager took a genuine interest in our stay and even came and wished us a safe journey home

thank you also to rod for giving us the opportunity to experience his wonderful hotel

I would just like to thank all the staff for a wonderful few days from arrival to leaving and hope to return soon

Room Tip: rooom 202 overlooks the pool area
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank aylesford

Dear Sugar Cane Club Visitor,

Thank you for taking the time to post this review, we are delighted that you had a wonderful stay with us.
We hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future!
Best wishes from all at the Sugar Cane Club Hotel & Spa!

Kind Regards

Hilton Barbados Resort
Hilton Barbados Resort
#1 of 6 in Bridgetown
Infinity on the Beach

Been to Sugar Cane Club Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!