La Maison Anglaise
Dar Fatima(Taroudant)
Riad Jnane Ines(Taroudant)
Riad Hida(Taroudant)
TripAdvisor
All reviewsmoroccan lifeguest houselocal hammamroof terracedance groupsustainable tourismatlas mountainscultural experienceporridgeberber villagelocal communityreal moroccocultural activitiesknowledgeable guideslocal staffwonderful foodargan oil
FilterAll languages
Reviewed July 18, 2013

My wife and I stayed at La Maison Anglaise for a week at the beginning of January 2013. We were two of a party of about 14 enjoying a novel - for us - location for a week of Circle Dance. I went as a spouse, not a dancer, but it was clear to me that the main room at LMA was perfect for this activity in these numbers.

For an accurate, well-written review of the accommodation, food, staff, ethos, trips and cultural experiences I refer you to Linda Joy23

'Much have I travelled' but I have never felt closer to, nor more secure in, a foreign land than during this stay at LMA

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 18, 2013

After a journey from Agadir airport with my group , tired from an early start we arrived outside this charming tall townhouse and immediately I knew we would be happy here! The staff who are local Moroccan families welcomed us and made us feel completely at home with a delicious mint tea for everyone. The rooms were spotless and comfortable with our every need considered eg. Jellabas in every room, the food was absolutely delicious and beautifully served in a delightful dining room. The roof terraces looked across to the Atlas and Anti Atlas mountains and were well supplied with seating and shade. Also this was perfect to paint from as took an Art holiday. The guides who drove us to beautiful and interesting destinations had an excellent knwledge of the flora and Fauna and jane's support for local co operatives took us to beekeepers, soapmakers , potters and bakers and we were able to have a real insite into real Moroccan life. I can't praise this little jewel highly enough but would like to keep it secret! i am taking a group there again this November and I am fully confident and looking forward to it very much, again!

Room Tip: The rooms up by the terrace are best in my view.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank miasomerset
Reviewed July 18, 2013

I felt really at home here - the staff all speak really good english, and are very accomodating, they took us on a couple of daytrips and were flexible enough to meet our sometimes demading needs, so we did a couple of hikes that were off the beaten track. the food was great, and after eating out a couple of times, it became our place of choice. The personal service is excellent the staff guided us to where to shop and where to eat, and their introductions were always of great benefit.

Taroudant is so natural and unspoilt - my favourite town in Morroco.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank linzaway
Reviewed July 18, 2013

La Maison Anglaise a well established cool and comfortable base for exciting adventures into the locality.Providing most modern facilities, including access to your own kitchen, though hardly needed as the wonderful hosts provide some of the best food in Taroudant...and cooking courses to go with it if you like.Enjoy the roof top views from the airy terrace.
Visitors are invited to explore natural world,be it bird life,fossil hunting, tortoise spotting or introductions into life in local Berber communities, 'in house experts' offer all these opportunities and more and after all that you can have a relaxing time in the local steam baths...
We had a wonderful trip.

Room Tip: Shared family facilities are very good however there are ensuites available.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 11, 2013

La Maison Anglaise is budget accommodation but it feels luxurious. I stayed in a large twin room which also had two day beds which could be used to make it a family room. It's a little way from the centre of town, and is very peaceful. Taroudant is so small it's an easy walk to any part.
I loved the lavish breakfast which included barley porridge which filled me up for the day. I had the best vegetable tagine of my Moroccan travels there, and others who tried more dishes said the chef is the best in Taroudant. I was very glad to have access to a self-catering kitchen for guests which saved me a lot of money.
The amazing team of local staff mostly speak excellent English, and nothing is too much trouble. In addition to the warm welcome, physical comfort and wonderful food, there's a special ethos here that I really appreciated. The guest house is part of CECU, an organisation committed to promoting environmentally and culturally responsible tourism.
Corridor walls are lined with interesting posters about local endangered species such as the wild tortoise which we saw on an oasis trip. Hot water comes from solar panels on the roof terrace which has views of the High Atlas and Anti Atlas mountains, a lovely spot to sip Moroccan tea and listen to the call for prayer from Taroudant's many mosques.
The staff team organise exceptional trips and cultural experiences which enabled me to discover the real Morocco. I especially loved the local hammam, a visit to a Berber village and a special evening when a women's band visited the guesthouse for a night of singing and dancing.

Room Tip: Downstairs rooms are cooller than those on the upper two floors. Most have their own (separate) bathroom but first floor bathroom is shared. Rooms at the front can actually be quieter than at the back, where sound travels down the natural ventilation shaft.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
3  Thank Linda_Joy23
lenny52_12, Owner at La Maison Anglaise, responded to this reviewResponded April 18, 2013

Thank you for the detailed, kind and thoughtful response. Just one point I should like to clarify about the first floor bedrooms - one of them is en suite (and the other two, as you state, share a bathroom).