“Beautiful beach but terrible food”

Neptune Paradise Beach Resort & Spa
Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Galu Beach
Nairobi, Kenya
“Beautiful beach but terrible food”
Reviewed February 21, 2013

The strength is the beach/pool area set up. Lots of lounge chairs, tables, sun, shade, beautiful pool, perfect view. The weakness is most certainly the food. The buffet was not particularly appetizing - very heavy on carbs and oil, practically no vegetables - and 5 out of 6 in my group had some level of upset stomach, ranging from minor inconvenience to take-a-day-off-work. The rooms were pretty but basic. In one room, housekeeping had forgotten to leave towels, but it was hard to fix because the phones were completely broken so we could not call reception.

Overall, a beautiful few days on the beach, but next time I will definitely pick somewhere else in Diani that is cheaper and doesn't make us all sick.

Room Tip: The place is huge so ask for a room closer to the water so you don't have to walk so far.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank jessica249592

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
Varna, Bulgaria
Reviewed February 16, 2013

The hotel is on the shore of the Indian Ocean. Rooms are not very big, but well cleaned. Staff is very polite and smiling. Food was good. Great garden. It is good that a site has two hotel and guests can use both. There are many monkeys who like to steal things to eat :)

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Nicaragua
Reviewed January 6, 2013

This was our first time to the southeastern coast of Kenya and we LOVED IT! There is a reason it is called Sentido Neptune PARADISE Beach Resort...while there may be other lovelier locations perhaps with better service (though I don't know how!), I would recommend staying here. Property is beautifully kept...fun to see monkeys roaming around and playing. We enjoyed the daily "animation"/activities offered and it was so great to wake up and have everything prepared for you. Plenty of lounge chairs and shade, the Indian Ocean is a gorgeous blue-green and the sand is white and soft. Stayed 20-25 December, thus there for Christmas...the "banquet" prepared and entertainment were fantastic! I'd come again this year just for them! "Beach boys" not as troublesome as I was led to believe, but would be nice to walk undisturbed. Great place for kids...thankfully, the ones during our stay were not obnoxious and rowdy. "Animators" were really good working with kids, too. Staff wonderfully courteous and helpful...we had some problems with our refrigerator, TV and shower, and they were prompt to resolve them. The only faults would be (in my partner's opinion) the food...a bit bland, starch-heavy, but catering to the international crowd that stays here. Cocktails on the "inclusive" menu are pretty watered down, but actually good that way so people are not drunk and disruptive. It would be nice to have different beers served besides Tuskers (White Cap is my local choice). An internet station for those who do not bring a laptop or have a smartphone would be a nice addition.

Room Tip: Though other "Superior Seaview Rooms" may have had better views, we only had a glimpse of...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Alyssa M
Nairobi, Kenya
Reviewed January 4, 2013

My family and I booked a 4 night family get-away to Sentido Neptune South Coast. Cant fault anything from this property. Entertainment is around the clock, food and drinks are all inclusive. Kids are kept busy throughout your stay.

However fully occupied by guests, you still have your space to enjoy. The more days you book here, the more relaxed and spoiled you feel. The staff and management are easy to work with. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend anyone to stay here.

Looking forward to spending another holiday here.

Room Tip: Higher floors provide an aerial view of the property. The Palm wing of the resort have spacious unit...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank crocracersafaris
Dorset
Reviewed September 16, 2012

I booked a 4 night stay at this hotel for my 11 year old son & myself for a few days relaxation at the end of a holiday visiting friends and gamewatching.. We flew into Ukunda from Nairobi which is delightfully quick compared with travelling from Mombasa - just 15 minutes from the airstrip to the hotel, with the added bonus from my son's point of view of seeing light aircraft landing & taking off from the tiny airport.

The hotel was exactly what we wanted. 2 storey thatched cottages set amongst mature trees in well tended grounds teeming with monkeys - both vervet and colubus- birds & lizards. Nice pools with swim up bar, great beach frontage with plenty of shade from palm trees & sun shades. Gorgeous white sand beach and turquoise sea etc. The next door hotel is owned by the same group so we really had 2 sets of facilities for the price of one, though they seemed to dish up more or less the same menu in both restuarants. Our hotel was the quieter one with the bulk of "animation" & activities happening at the neighbouring hotel. This was perfect as I could retreat to one of the other pools for some peace & quiet. There was lots of active stuff on offer which kept my 11 year old busy a lot of the day: water polo, water volleyball, beach volleyball, football etc. Also the Kenyan animation team were very ready to play table tennis, pool etc which was much appreciated. There were evening shows too though we only saw one of these - a troupe of acrobats.

The food and drink available on the all inclusive rate was very acceptable: buffets for all meals with a good range for breakfast including eggs cooked to order, several choices of hot meal for lunch /dinner including vegetarian & fish and plenty of salads. A snack bar at the neighbouring hotel served burgers & chips at lunchtime which my son enjoyed. Cakes & fruit were on offer through the afternoon so no reason to go hungry! Might have been a bit bored after 2 weeks but there was also an a la carte restaurant offering more choice, which I might have tried if we had stayed longer, plus lots of restaurants nearby.

The room was ok. Plenty of space, if slightly dated & dank in the bathroom. The only niggle - why not have sheets to fit the beds rather than using two sets of single sheets to make up a double bed? However everything else was fine - mosquito nets (though we hardly saw a mosquito), air conditioning & tea/coffee tray. And flowers sprinkled on our bed every day!

The weather was pretty good for the time of year. It rained on our first afternoon for a short while but other than that was in the upper 20s centigrade & sunny with the odd cloud & a pleasant breeze. The sea wasnt as calm and clear as I have seen it later in the year (the surf stirs up the fine sand) but was deliciously warm & perfect for swimming. The tide goes out a long way and you can wander out to look for sand crabs, starfish and sea anemones - almost certainly with an escort of helpful locals keen to sell you crafts, trips or other services! It is slightly annoying to be approached in this way every time you visit the beach - having said that the traders generally respond to a polite no thanks or promise to look another day - and after all they do have a living to make. I bought some kangas at a very reasonable price by remembering the trader's name & asking for her when I was ready to buy. There are various stalls selling crafts on the beach & some traders set out goods in the hotel in the evening, but do haggle - some of the initial prices quoted were so astronomical as to make me laugh!

Overall I thought the hotel was very good value for the price paid, set in a gorgeous location with a casual child-friendly atmosphere and plenty to do. The staff were all pleasant and helpful and very friendly and kind to my son, and to me as a woman on my own. I would definitely recommend it for a family break.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank MSKDorset
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 6, 2012

First let me start by giving you some tips.

Dont bother going to the Kenya Embassy in London for Visas like I did, as I thought this would save queing at the other side. It didn't make any difference as there is not a fast track entry and zillions of people on the plane got theirs there. The que isn't that bad as it's not a busy airport.

All rooms in Paradise have a 3 pin socket so no need to pack an adapter.

Now, oh god, where do I start????? okay, here it goes...we stayed at Paradise from August 21st to 4th Sep 2012. We are a family of 4 with two daughters aged 18 & 14. We were greeted at the reception by a lady named Faith who was most welcoming. We were shown to our rooms in which we were delighted with as these were large, spacious and spotless.I think all rooms are the same size, although we did pay extra for superior as this included tea/coffee and hairdryers as well as nets around the bed (not that we used them).

The grounds are breathtaking, in fact you will think you were staying in a 5 star resort! All very well maintained and spotless. It's full of monkeys which we all found amusing to watch, and we were tempted to feed them for a good picture, but we were advised not to as they will lose their hunting instict and will depend on food from visitors (good point !).

All staff are friendly and pleasent, some more than others. The bar staff that were superduper were John and Christine from the Village hotel. The local alcholic drinks were `safari vodka, safari rum, safari whisky etc etc... they were not all that but if you wanted to purchase the `real McCoy` then you did have that option at a price (£3-4 per drink). So best if you pack your own in duty free as it wasn't cheap! The wine seemed okay though.

The hotel Paradise is about a 1 min or so walk from the hotel next door named Village. Village hotel is totally buzzing with the most amazing amination team that will look after you throughtout your stay. However, if you prefer total quiteness and relaxation then just chill out around the Paradise pool. It's much quiter with no more then 6 people in there swimming. The beauty is having the freedom to use both hotels and all the facilities as they are both all inclusive. I heard the rooms in Paradise are much nicer then village although I cant verfy this.

There are heaps of activities that the amination team offer in the villlage hotel. We took advantage of a game of archery, aqua jymnastics, yoga, beach vollyball, water polo, tennis lessons (with a great coach name Gambo) and Salsa lessons with Yvonne. They also offer Swahill lessons, cooking classes etc.... About midday they offer games, quizzs and keep fit classes which are a must! We didn't stop laughing. There is a show every evening which are mostly cultural and then the evening ends in a club dance. If you don't like this sort of scene them the paradise bar will suite you better should you choose to have a quite night drinking with soft background music. I think all the bars close about midnight.

The hotel offers a trip to the local school and village. This is a MUST!!!! It cost 1000ks (about £7.80 or so per person). If you have children then they must experience this!!! If you want to pack some sweets for the local children or pencils/books then this will be soooooo appreciated. You are asked if you want to make a donation, in which we gave 1000ks. I will add that you get pested by the local lads to buy their wood carving, but I have to say they are much much cheaper then the shops. I think we paid about 1000ks for a wooden elephant where as the hotel shop was selling the same at 2000ks. Speaking of the shop we met Sammy who works there. A Great guy, very helpful.

We took a half day tour to Mombassa city through Thompson. I would recommend it but I think we overpaid at £30 per person. I would advise to shop around as the local lads do offer better deals.

We booked our 1 night 2 day safari with Jules (JT Safari) after reading the reviews from this site. He has 5 ratings from trip advisor which hangs proudly in his road side office. All I can say is how amazing the safari was. We visited Tsavo East and stayed at Arouba? or something like that??? which was perfect, then when leaving the next afternoon we stopped for lunch at a cliff top resturant which overlooked Tsavo. Breathtaking!!!! I totally recommend him despite feeling nervous about booking a trip outside of the hotel.

Before I leave this page I want to mention the names of some of the people who made our holiday super. Omar and his collegue who made our rooms up with the stunning flower arrangments. The super animation team, Monica, Faith, Yvonne, Gambo, Happy Sam, DJ Moses, Hammis and Bennidict. I totally blame these guys for my yougest daughters non stop tears since coming home! She adores them all!!!! Special thanks to the waiters and waitresses in particular, Zaid, a Great guy.

On the negative side, we found that the hot water was not effective in the morning but by 6pm it was perfect. Talk to reception and they will switch it on.

If you go to the beach then please use your beach shoes as there are sea urchins which if you stand on, can be the end of your holiday (or so I'm told)???. There will be stingrays, starfish and heaps of fish that will be joing you for your swim! You will be bothered but a polite `no thank you` will do.....sometimes.

The food was wonderful and cooked to perfection, however, the only seafood which was avalible was offered at the resturant next door at a price. This was rather disappointing as we enjoy prawns, shellfish etc. (although I do think some fish is offered in the main but nothing to get excited over).

If anyone would like to contact me with any questions or need any information I will be more then happy to correspond. My email is julia.wellings@ntlworld.com

Have a super holiday at Paradise x

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank Tommythumper
Bromsgrove, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 30, 2012

We stopped at Neptune Paradise for a total of 11 days, can not fault anything, staff, food, pools ( which were spotlessly clean every day) and rooms all excellent value for money !!!!! We also went on a three day Safari to Tavo East and West, also The Tati Hiils could not fault accomadation or food at any of the lodges we stopped at. Our guide was named Sudi Boy, who we will remember always as he made our trip so speacial by showing us Kenya and its animals. We booked this holiday as on August 17th it was my birthday and on the 19th it was our 40th wedding anniversary. We recommend you visit Kenya and stay at neptune paradise, a safari is a must also a boat trip. If you are looking for a great value holiday you wont need to look any further than Sentido Neptune Paradise. Only one bit of advice I hope you might find of use is if you want to spend time on the clean white sandy beach Don't engage in any kind of conversation with the numerous beach boys, we found that if you even answer Jambo then they take that as an invitation to walk with you, if you ignor them,which we found very hard as they are so nice and friendly, they will leave you alone.

Room Tip: upper floor facing pools and beach
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Diani Sea Resort
Diani Sea Resort
#4 of 29 in Diani Beach
Neptune Palm Beach Boutique Resort & Spa

Been to Neptune Paradise Beach Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!