“Galu Sea Lodge - Some of my best memories ...” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Galu Sea Lodge -Tamani

Galu Sea Lodge -Tamani
Prescott, Canada
“Galu Sea Lodge - Some of my best memories ...”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 4, 2011

Over the past seven years some of my best memories have been associated with Galu Sea Lodge, on one of the most beautiful beaches I've ever visited (and I'm a "collector" of outstanding beaches!) I have just returned from a week there, yet again, spent with friends for part of the time and by myself for the rest., The development (the addition of spacious apartments and the expanded pool) since I was last there is totally in keeping with the natural setting, the peaceful and friendly atmosphere, and the instant access to the warm waters of the Indian Ocean. Galu Sea Lodge - Tamani is definitely at the top of my list for a fully relaxing holiday. It's a bit like going to visit good friends in a setting that immediately puts one at ease, and since all the components necessary for relaxation are present all that's left to do is exhale -breathe in the beauty, and relax!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
      Location
      Sleep Quality
      Rooms
      Cleanliness
1 Thank Doug W

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Stockholm
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 25, 2010

After 3 days safari we stayed five nights at Galu Sea Lodge. The cottages are very spacious and clean. The concept is selfcatering with a cook and a housekeeper included in the price. Our cook, Swahibu, was great and made excellent meals of various kinds. All staff was really nice and helpful in every way, we miss them already. There is a nice garden and a well maintained pool. The beach is probably the best in Kenya with white sand, palmtrees, and few beach boys. You can go swimming also during low tide.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with family
      Location
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
      Rooms
      Cleanliness
2 Thank MikeStockholm
Brighton
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 16, 2009

I stayed at Galu a number of times during my academic semester abroad in Kenya last year and my friends and I fell in love with this place!!

It was quiet in October - November and we felt like we had the place to ourselves. The property is made up of a handful of large beach front houses that are surrounded by trees and beautiful scenery. We had our own house right on the water that was steps to the pool and ocean! The owner, Hugh, is the nicest man - we first stayed with our whole group (17 students) in October for a long weekend and then a few of us came back repeatedly - we couldn't stay away and Hugh was so welcoming! The nightly rates were so reasonable (we are all college students!) and Hugh gave us a great deal after returning for repeat visits. The beach houses are gorgeous - huge kitchens, big open living rooms, comfy huge beds with mosquito nets and fans and you can hear the ocean from your room while you sleep. The monkeys run around the property so you have to keep your balcony doors closed or they will come right in your room - but they are fun to watch. The cooks (optional) made us amazing meals and treated us like royalty - which was surprising because at first glance we might look like a crazy bunch of US college students - but we all appreciated how well we were treated! We had fresh fish, chapati (one of my favorite African treats), fresh veggies, chicken, rice, delicious sauces...I could go on and on. I felt so comfortable at Galu and after a semester of trekking all over Kenya - sleeping in huts, going for weeks without showers, eating questionable food, getting lost in Nairobi - it was a nice break - almost like being home - if I lived on the beach in a huge house! I know this is a small place and might not be all that well known - but after walking the beach and seeing all the big resorts that all looked the same and were probably a lot more expensive I was glad we stayed at Galu. At night we either hung out outside on the private patio connected to our house with comfy chairs and big pillows or got a cab (10 min ride for 400 ksh) to Forty Thieves Bar (YOU MUST GO - AMAZING PEOPLE, GREAT DANCING MUSIC, RIGHT ON THE BEACH - MADE SOME FANTASTIC FRIENDS THERE :) ) One night we also walked down the beach from Galu to other hotel bars along the water. During the day you can swim in the ocean, hang out near the pool, ride camels on the beach, go snorkeling...the list goes on. I want to go back right now just thinking about it!

I can't say enough about this place - I only stayed at Galu for a small portion of my semester in Kenya - but it was such a great experience and the place had an undescribable feeling to it - every time I arrived I felt so at ease and instantly relaxed - I hope to take my family back when I travel back to Kenya to show them all that I saw while I was away.

Thanks to Hugh and all my Diani Beach friends! I miss you all and hope to see you again soon!

1 Thank devanrose
Lantana Galu Beach
Lantana Galu Beach
#3 of 5 in Galu Beach
Kenyaways Beach Bed & Breakfast

Been to Galu Sea Lodge -Tamani? Share your experiences!