Royal Victoria Hotel
$107
$89
Priceline
  • Beachfront
Premier Inn Hastings Hotel(Hastings)(Great Value!)
$76
PremierInn.com
$166
$141
Agoda.com
Claverton Country House Hotel(Battle)(Great Value!)
$106
All reviewssea viewsea frontpiano barrevolving doorvictorian hotelbuffet breakfastst leonardsbit datedroom was largenight porterlovely hotelpublic areaslounge areastayed one nightfamily roomdouble bedhead waiter
FilterAll languages
Reviewed November 5, 2012

We arrived on 31 Oct 12. The room was tremendous, spacious and had a great sea view. However, the TV, which was more suited to a museum, had very limited reception. I rang reception, 2.30pm, and asked if anything could be done. According to the receptionist, the hotel TV reception was dependent on which room you occupied. The impression given was this was not a new issue but an ongoing none. On the way to the bar at 5.30pm I enquired at reception again to see if anything could be done about the TV. The receptionist, a different one from the first, stated that the current weather, rain and wind, was adversely affecting hotel TV reception. The receptionist went on to state that their mobile broadband was also being affected. He informed the oncoming duty receptionist of the problem.

We ordered 2 bar meals. When mine arrived it had been cremated (beef burger) – it had been cooked beyond recognition. Additionally there was no salad. The meal was incomplete. I returned the meal to the bar and the meal was taken away. A replacement arrived and was satisfactory.

Additionally, there was no heating of any description in the restaurant or bar area. We had to dine with our jackets/top coats on.

We returned to our room at 7.00pm. There was no water. I rang reception to be informed that the matter was in hand and hopefully restoration of the water would not take too long. I am not sure how too long is measured but when we departed the hotel at 8.30am the following day there was still no water! Over 12 hours. Unable to flush toilets, no water for kettle, unable to wash!

I complained to the deputy manager when departing and a refund of the room cost was offered and accepted.

We have stayed at the Royal Victoria before and felt pampered and well looked after – on this occasion everything fell terribly short of what we expect from the Royal Victoria and Best Western.

Room Tip: Most rooms are large especially those with a sea view.
1  Thank Dave H
Reviewed November 2, 2012

Parts of the hotel have a lingering feel of grandure but there is no doubt the old girl has seen better days. I'm not averse to the colour pink but too many walls have been covered in it and in places it clashes horribly with the decor. There is no doubt however, that our two night stay was very good value. The breakfast buffet was first rate and the scrambled eggs perfect. The room was large and comfortable, if a little worn, and the staff were always obliging and cheerful. We would certainly consider staying again the next time we visit Hastings.

2  Thank LondonStroller
Reviewed November 1, 2012

I booked this hotel at the last minute, so wasn't sure what to expect. However I was really happy with my stay. The staff were very helpful and friendly, and the public areas were quite grand! My room was big enough for a football match, and the view over the sea was outstanding! Everything was very clean, and the bed was really comfortable. The shower looked unpromising but worked well. It was lovely to be able to open the window and hear the sea at night. Overall I felt like a princess and will definitely book this hotel again - great value for faded grandeur.Even parking was easily available, and free! I didn't have breakfast, which at £9.95 seemed pricey, but there are loads of quirky eateries nearby in Norman Road.

Room Tip: I would imagine that any room with a sea view would be nice - mine was on the fourth floor so high enough to escape road noise.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed October 22, 2012

We decided to have a weekend away by the sea just for the hell of it. The Royal Victoria was the perfect place for that! It was great value for money (£72 per night for a suite including a buffet breakfast)! The staff were great, really friendly and fun (especially Juan at breakfast). Highly recommended!

Reviewed October 14, 2012

I have just returned from 4 nights B&B at this hotel - how I wish we could have got into a Premier Inn instead!!! The first room we were given (214) should come with a height restriction as it has a mezzanine level where the bed and bathroom are. My husband is almost 6' and his head touched the ceiling as he walked around - let alone that he was unable to get under the shower without kneeling in the bath. When he asked they did change us to another room the following day we were moved to 310 (however, we have been overcharged for that room by £30 per night - I'm hoping that we get our refund sorted which I'm sure we will).

The room was not vacuumed the last two days, and the headboard was ripped

The waiters (Andre and the chap in the morning) in the restaurant were helpful and friendly so the review result is not reflected against them. However, not all the staff were.- we tried to get bar food and a drink - however the bar maid was very busy telling anyone and everyone it was too busy and she was told there was only meant to be 5 guests staying.

One of our party asked to speak to the manager (twice) as some food was raw and there were other issues that she wanted to address, the barmaid informed her 'he's the tall skinny chap wandering around'!!!

Non of our TVs worked properly, some days we had sound on ITV and others we didn't - there were 4 rooms between our party. Although other colleagues were staying too and they all had similar issues.

Apparently it took 90 minutes last night for desert to arrive - we had given up and gone to bed!

I can see that other visitors have been luckier then we were with their stay - I've only written good reviews before - and I hate the fact that this one cant be - but I felt I had comment on this stay

Room Tip: If you are over 5'9" do not stay in Room 214
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business