“THE honeymoon location” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Chemin Grenier
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
“THE honeymoon location”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2010

We stayed in Shanti Ananda in June for our honeymoon. We had a private villa with pool for 6 nights and we got all we could wish for. We booked the honeymoon package including a 6 day wellness Spa package. All together we had an amazing experience and the ultimate honeymoon. The rooms are amazing and have great views out on the (rough) ocean. The private pool was too cold to swim when we arrived, but after asking the staff heated it up, although this took at least two days to do so.

The Spa treatment was really unique and mind-changing. I can say that both of us were a bit sceptical at first about the Ayurveda concept, but we felt so much better after this week and so much enjoyed the tranquility of the Spa, the professional staff, the aromas, the ginger-lemon tea after the treatments, etc. The wellness package is also a good deal compared to booking treatments individually and you experience multiple sorts of treatments which were all so relaxing.

A few times when we came back from dinner they prepared a surprise aromatic bath in the room which was great. Food and beverages are indeed relatively expensive, certainly for Mauritius; however if you forget about lobster than you can manage to have dinner for about the same price as you would do in Europe. And for the same price they prepare dinner for you at your villa or on the beach which was super romantic.

Summarizing: Shanti Ananda is a unique experience, something you should keep for special occasions; when going to these places you know it will not be cheap in any way, whether it is the room, the food or the activities; if you go there on a tight budget just don't go, because you will not enjoy it. For us it was the best hotel ever, the perfect honeymoon destinations and certainly worth the money you pay for it.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (189)
  • Korean first
Geneva
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 29, 2010

Overall we had a great stay.

The hotel is beautiful, well maintained. We had a Junior Suite (the “standard room”). The rooms are close to the beach. We only had to walk down from our room and were almost straight on the beach. The view from our balcony was stunning.

The hotel currently has an 80% occupancy rate. They seem to offer interesting packages right now through different websites which means that a lot more people can afford to stay there. However, you never feel that it is too crowded.

Rooms: very big, well furnished, big comfortable bed (2 meters !), huge bathrooms, nice amenities like a Nespresso machine and kettle.
Water is supplied for free throughout the stay, not only in the room twice a day, but also in the restaurant at night (unlike many restaurants where water is charged).
Upon arrival in your room, you also have black Havanaias flip flops, a beach bag and white “kurta” pijamas in the room. A lot of people wear them at breakfast and throughout the day and they look quite elegant. This is meant to take away the stress of packing too much stuff. As we knew about this, we packed a little bit less than we would have done otherwise which was nice.

Food: simply delicious and very tasty. We thought everything was delicious and refined.
No buffet. Even for breakfast, you order at the table, as much as you like. In terms of portion you always have enough. For me it was ideal because I did not put on weight which often happens with buffets where you want to try everything… and for my partner who eats a lot, it was also always sufficient.

We had half board (HB). For dinner, you can choose a starter, main course and desert and you pay for the drinks (except water). Now this is where it is getting complicated and you have to be careful: seafood is fully charged to you.
This was not explained clearly to us: on the card, you have items that are in the same price range as the rest like a starter of “Mozambique prawns” or a “meli melo of seafood” soup. As it is in the same price range as the other starters, we did not pay attention to it and ordered these starters a few times. But as they consider them as category “seafood”, they are fully charged to you (which does not seem logical at all as the price is the same). To give you an example, we had a starter of 1300 MRU (again, same price range as the other starters which are included in the HB set-up) which translated into a bill of USD 50 for 3 big prawns !!! So be careful: they charge not only the very pricey items like lobster (= 8000 MRU) which makes sense but also all the ones belonging to a “seafood” category. Better to ask the staff every time to be sure.

What is also confusing is that every evening you need to sign the full bill including the food included in HB + the drinks. Unlike many other restaurants we have been to, they do not deduct the food and simply ask you to sign for the drinks (wine, beer, etc) you have to pay. This would also have allowed us to notice right away that the above mentioned starters were billed to us. They explained to us that this was done for accounting purposes. But to me it is not logical as you can still put all the items on the bill but deduct what is included in the guest’s set up and simply ask them to sign for the items they actually will have to pay for.

Staff: extremely friendly everywhere (at the restaurant, beach, cleaning staff, etc…). They go out of their way to please customers.

A very pleasant surprise was that our room was given to us upon our arrival early in the morning. After our arrival, we were led to the restaurant to have breakfast while our room was being prepared. This meant that at 10am on our first day, we had already unpacked our suitcases and were on the beach in our swimsuit ! Same happened when we left: our departure from the hotel was only at 7pm but they very kindly offered us to keep the room until then ! No need to do a check out at noon and get showered and changed somewhere else which would have been a little bit complicated.

Some small incidents happened at the reception which were not serious at all but showed a lack of follow-up which you expect and appreciate in a 5 star hotel. I’ll just give you the examples:

- I wrote to the hotel before our stay to ask if they had an i-pod docking station in the room. I was told that they were not in the junior suites but “please rest assured that I have already made a note of this request and it will be arranged prior to your arrival.” I thought this was very nice ! Result: not only was it not in the room upon our arrival, but we had to ask reception 3 times for it before they finally brought it !

- We knew that the rooms on the ground floor have an exterior shower and were hoping to have one. Our room on the first floor did not have it. We therefore asked about it and the lady told us: “OK, we will see in the coming days to change you when people move out”. In the meantime, we liked our room and didn’t necessarily bother to move all of our stuff to another room, but nobody ever followed up on that request and we noticed that the room below us changed tenants several times during our stay. Again not a big thing but the kind of follow up you expect and appreciate in a 5 star hotel.

- Finally, I went to the boutique one day to ask for postcards. I was told that they don’t sell them at the hotel but you have 2 official hotel postcards in your room. The lady again very kindly offered to have a few more postcards from the hotel brought to my room. I saw her again 2 days later and asked about it. She seemed surprised that it had not been done and said she would follow-up. Result: I never received them (and never learned why)…

Activities: a lot of activities are organized throughout the day, we did a lot of snorkeling. As the hotel is quite secluded and away from the rest, it is ideal for a relaxing stay. We booked bikes from the hotel for a 2 hour ride towards Chemin Grenier which is the nearest little village (approx 20 minutes by bike). There you can find small shops, super markets, etc… As we had already been on the island before, we didn’t mind not to do more sightseeing. Otherwise, you could rent a taxi for the day and explore the island a little bit.

So overall a great relaxing stay and I would definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank PatyGeneva
Guido F, General Manager at Shanti Maurice A Nira Resort, responded to this review, May 29, 2014
Dear PatyGeneva,

Thank you for your overall positive feedback, must say very detailed one.

I do apologies if we had not met in some occasion your needs and I am committed with my Team to improve ourselves and keep training our colleagues.

I will be delighted to welcoming you back at our resort and make your stay again a special one.

Guido
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 17, 2010

If you don't want to be treated with utter contempt, or get stressed out by inefficient and, at times, completely disastrous service, stay away from this hotel. The staff forgot to load my suitcase into my car as I was leaving for the hotel, and we had to drive back to the hotel to find it sitting on a trolley, completely abandoned outside the front of the hotel. A wake up call that I had requested for that morning had also failed to materialise! Often, meal requests were completely ignored. I told staff I was not allowed to eat bananas only to find my morning muesli filled with them, rather than the chopped apple I had requested. It's still a mystery to me how simple requests were so blatantly ignored, or why staff seemed completely disinterested in honouring such requests, and appallingly, at times, demonstrated ill disguised contempt towards guests who dared to complain that simple requests had been ignored (e.g. making a guest wait 40 minutes for a replacement key to their room knowing they were waiting outside for it). It all seemed like it was too much trouble for them. It's a shame because the staff in the spa were delightful and amazing but the relaxation of the spa was completely ruined by the stress caused by the bad service.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank DeepaJ
Dear DeepaJ,

Thank you for your review which is giving the chance to look into short comes experienced during your stay.

As new appointed General Manager i would like to highlight that we have put into the practice a tremendous system of training and coaching, we achieved already great results.

We hope you are giving us another chance, and I will be personally welcoming you back.

London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 5, 2010

We stayed at the Shanti Maurice for a week in September and can't rate it highly enough. It is in a beautiful bay with no other hotels in view. The style of the hotel reminded us very much of Bali - thatched roofs and lush planting everywhere.

We went on a "rejuvenation" package and the treatments and therapists were superb.
The spa staff smiled non stop and were so professional and friendly.

The whole place is immaculate - the staff are constantly cleaning and it shows. Paul and Duarte who run the hotel should be highly commended - everyone is clearly on top of what they should be doing and look happy to be doing it!

The restaurant is beautifully located - overlooking the beach and we could have just sat and stared at the view the whole week. The food is fantastic - lots of choice and there is a good wine list too. We would have loved to have tried the "Rum Shack" for a bbq but alas it rained on the planned evening - c'est la vie!

We tried a class in the gym one day and that was great fun - the personal trainer is excellent. We also hired biked and ventured up the coast past local villages.

We went to daily yoga lessons which are in a beautiful pavilion in the spa area - the only thing I would fault is that the lessons are a little basic for those who do yoga regularly. It might be better for them to have 2 sessions a day - maybe a more advanced one in the evening?

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with friends
3 Thank Londongal77
Dear Londongal77,

Thank you for taking time to write such a great review.

We learn that you had a great time at our Spa and in particular practicing yoga on daily basis, how wonderful.

We hope to have a chance to welcoming you back soon at our resort, you will be able to experience new concept then.

Warmest regards

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 28, 2010

Shanti provides peace and beauty in perfect luxury. In my experience, 3 things that put Shanti in a class of its own: Fantastic Food; Amazing Spa; and Outstanding Service.
Food: A wide variety of cuisine is available including Mauritian, Continental, Indian, Chinese – all beautifully cooked and presented. Everything I ate was fresh – grown on the grounds or sourced locally (actually saw fish being caught in the lagoon for the Fish and Rhum shack!) – and I could taste the difference ...Delicious!
Spa: The spa at Shanti is a world apart – a beautiful haven of tranquility. I had booked the Ayurvedic Rejuvenation package and presented Dr Mane, Ayurvedic Physician at the Spa, with the challenging task of giving me a “kick-start to greater wellbeing” – weight loss, lower stress, greater energy and lower blood pressure were some of the aims. Dr. Mane and his team of therapists and Yoga instructors rose to the challenge magnificiently! The massages with two therapists acting in synchronisation were amazing – felt like one person with four hands! The Yoga and meditation sessions with Dheeraj and Anil were incredible – always patient and gently encouraging. The results? Exceeded all expectations – I lost 5.5 kg in 10 days; relaxed totally; revitalised and the blood pressure is completely normal! The benefits have continued since my return from holiday, thanks to the lifestyle consultation – family and colleagues are amazed at the transformation.
Service: Absolutely outstanding service from everyone at Shanti. Staff have a knack for making one feel truly special – simple things like greeting me by name, remembering my favourite drink, being alert to when I would enjoy company and times I would prefer to be alone. Nothing was any trouble at all – the answer was always “Yes” even before the question was asked ....and they delivered! Rarely have I seen the level of ownership and accountability demonstrated by staff at Shanti.
At the end of my stay I didn’t want to leave .... I will definitely return!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled solo
2 Thank UBT
Dear UBT,

Thank you for the amazing review, my Team and I are delighted to learn that your stay was exceptional.

We are committed to make the stay of our guests a special one every time, and we will always try our best to accommodate and anticipate any customers needs.

Looking forward to have you back with us soon, warm regards

London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 13, 2010

Understated luxury in a perfect location. Built on a curving lagoon of white sand and gently bending palm trees, this was a resort that takes you right away from the madding crowd and yet offers every activity that the more action orientated would desire. But beware, the fabulously fresh food, gently serving staff could lure you into a state of somnolence. Time to totally relax and regain the balance in your life is unavoidable, whether through yoga, ayurvedic treatments or gentle meditation. You'll sleep like a baby and fall in love with the people. An unsurpassable experience and totally addictive.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank JCroad
Dear JCroad,

Thank you for sending across such a good description of the resort and moreover for enjoying your time here.

We are pleased that you were able to fully relax and practice some good yoga sessions as well as some Ayurveda treatment provided at our Spa.

We are looking forward to welcoming you back soon.

Dubai, United Arab Emirates
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2010

We don't usually write reviews but after staying at the Shanti Ananda Maurice, we just had to say something. Where to start...well we stayed at Shanti Maurice for 7 nights during the 1st week of August (Winter in Mauritius) in one their Luxury Suit Villas with pool. The Villa itself is amazing - if you want something right on the beach (literally a few steps away) with lots of privacy, and your own pool (not a plunge pool - this is a proper sized pool with a built-in Jacuzzi), then this is the one to go for! The Hotel is located in the South of the Island which is quiet and unspoilt. The beaches and mountains are truly beautiful and there are lovely waterfalls nearby. The Hotel is surrounded by lush green gardens and there is an amazing Spa and kids club for all ages. The staff are extremely friendly and very trustworthy (we felt very comfortable leaving our baby with the in-house sitters (ask for Jaymala who was excellent) whilst having a massage or some dinner). The Spa however, is probably the best feature - it has many different treatments to choose from and free Yoga sessions every morning. This hotel really caters for people who want to unwind and relax from their busy lifestyles. However, it’s worth renting a car (which the concierge organised perfectly for us) so you can also get to see some of the other sites around the island, as well as enjoying a scenic drive! The food is delicious with lots of variety – we got to meet some of the chefs who were previously working in Dubai for one of the top hotels which we are already very familiar with. I must say, the hotel staff really make a difference here. They go out of their way to make sure you are comfortable and everywhere you go, you are greeted by name instead of a room number! Thank you once again for a lovely stay – we look forward to returning!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
5 Thank Beachcombers1
Dear Beachcombers1

Thank you for taking time to write such a wonderful review about our Resort.

As the new General Manager i must say that the we are striving to offer the best service possible, working on attention to details.

My Team and I hope to welcoming you back here soon, warm regards

Guido
LUX* Grand Gaube
LUX* Grand Gaube
#1 of 4 in Grand Gaube
5.0 of 5 bubbles 4,237 reviews

Been to Shanti Maurice A Nira Resort? Share your experiences!