“An Ode to Service” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Shanti Maurice A Nira Resort

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Shanti Maurice A Nira Resort
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Chemin Grenier
Al Khobar, Saudi Arabia
“An Ode to Service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 30, 2013

Sitting over breakfast this morning, a week after our return, we truly miss the friends we made at Shanti Maurice. If you will indulge me, I would like to share them with you:

Priya and Manoushka - the beautiful sisters (that play hostess at Pebbles restaurant) took care of our every "foodie need": freshly made purées for our baby; outstanding vegetarian recommendations for me; and exceptional personal service that made us feel like royalty - thank you!

Akilesh - the Fish and Rum Shack host that ran for an umbrella for my daughter as if her life depended on it. And he spoilt us to the most memorable dinner of my life so far, on the beach with candlelight, Taittinger and many laughs! We look forward to knowing him for years to come.

Cun Cun (aka Bam Bam) - thanks for the ride in the pouring rain. We were so pleased that you remembered us :)

Shamloll, Sunny and Rosa - the Red Ginger team: thank-you for the Stag beer shandies, small indulgences such as a little "mocktail" with a smiley face for my three-year-old; and many good laughs.

Reana, Preya, Kamini, Jaymala - the ladies from the kids club that made every day Mother's Day for me; the fishing photos still make me laugh giggle.

The Team at the Spa - thank-you for letting my husband seek refuge from two mewling babies.

Brinda, the wonderful company in the boutique - thank-you for the "therapy" chats, kindness and patience.

Anjanee, Sheila and Daisy - our room was always our haven because of you: extra towels on the floor to catch the sand, handpicked fresh flowers, a fun elephant sculpture that made my daughter laugh; and the wonderful gift lamp that she now has in her room.

Fabiene, Kumal, Foval and the beach team - my sunglasses were never cleaner, the ice water and coconut water were special touches as were the sundowner sorbets. What a special team that made a sandy beach holiday luxurious.

To the gardeners, without you Shanti Maurice would not be heavenly. My favourite pastime was to walk through the vegetable garden in the afternoon and teach my girls all about the different plants.

Mr William Labuachagne, it was a pleasure to meet you and we look forward to years of friendship!

To the chefs in the kitchen, it was the first holiday that I felt properly catered for as a vegetarian. The Indian cuisine was outstanding! And I loved my personalized barbecue menu with Spicy Tofu skewers!

To Rumi, Rakesh and all the other Room Service staff - our stay wouldn't have been as relaxing if it weren't for your efficient and accommodating service. We regularly ate on the terrace of our room; which, because it was a beachfront suite, translated to romantic dinners on the beach for us while the babies slept an arm's length away.

We did, nevertheless, use the babysitting service twice and we can highly recommend Marie "Angel" Charles - as we dubbed her :)

We were initially apprehensive about taking two very young children to a traditionally romantic setting and being surrounded by honeymooners. But the staff at Shanti Maurice made us feel welcome and valued from the moment Handsome Vicky picked us up from the airport.

So, while I have probably forgotten some names and misspelt others, my point is that without these special people, Shanti Maurice would just be another pretty place in the world. With them, it becomes exceptional. We visited in a time of year that probably lent itself to personal service; and we would do it again and again again...if our budget allowed it :)

Room Tip: For families with small children, the junior beachfront suite worked for us because the beach was so...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank NewtotheZoo
Duarte C, General Manager at Shanti Maurice A Nira Resort, responded to this review, June 23, 2013
Dear reviewer "NewtotheZoo",

Greetings from Shanti Maurice - A Nira Resort.

I would like to take a moment to express my sincere gratitude, for taking the time to share your most kind and valuable feedback relating to your most recent stay with us here at Shanti Maurice. It was indeed an honour and a privilege being your hosts and I am delighted to learn that you had a pleasurable experience with us. At Shanti Maurice, we have a culture of listening, observing and delivering and I was happy to learn that my team is delivering the promise.

Please rest assured that I will be sharing your valuable comments with the team, especially with Manoushka, Priya, Akilesh, Khunkhun, Shamloll, Sunny, Rosa, Reana and her team Preya, Kamini and Jaymala at the Kids Club, Brinda in our Boutique, Anjanee, Sheila and Daisy from our Housekeeping Department, our Chief Security Lappies, Fabiene, Kumal and Yoven in the beach, Rumi and Rakesh from our In-Room Dining as well as our Spa and Gardening team, Vicky, our Driver and Marie Ange, our Babysitter, who will no doubt be joyous to receive such high praise.

We look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you and your family soon back home to Shanti Maurice, a place and people purely devoted to pleasure and where our guests arrive as residents, leave as friends and return as family.

Duarte Correia

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (189)
  • Korean first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2013

We actually visited in May 2012 and I've just got round to writing a review now! Amazing hotel, staff were sooo helpful and all knew us by name and went out of their way to make us feel welcome and comfortable. The rooms are nice and clean with great views over the beach. Feels very exclusive as there are not many rooms/guests so you can always get a good spot on the beach or by the pool. Another reviewer has said the beach was dirty and overcrowded - he must be confused or staying at a different hotel as the beach is spotless and not at all over crowded. We had our 18 month old with us and it was great, they went out of their way to make him happy. He's a massively fussy eater and they would make whatever I asked for him, let us have lunch/dinner in our room if we wanted to make things easier with him (at no extra cost!). Super friendly and super relaxing. Used babysitter service one night while we had dinner on the beach. Would def come back here it was beautiful.

• Stayed June 2012
Dear reviewer "Tammu123",

Greetings from Shanti Maurice - A Nira Resort.

I was delighted to hear that you have found our beach to be spotless and our service attentive to your needs and those of your son. Please rest assured that I will be sharing your valuable comments with the rest of the team, who will no doubt be joyous to receive such high praise.

Linz
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 23, 2013 via mobile

What a great, romantic hotel!

We celebrated our 25th anniversary there, and we could not have chosen a better location. The hotel offers about 40 suites (in two story buildings) and 20 villas with private pool. We stayed in a suite in the first floor, which we think is better than the ground floor, because it's more private.

The room was very spacious with exquisite furniture. The bathroom was almost as big as the room (this means the bathroom was huge and not that the room was small!). Everything was very clean and the staff was very friendly.
And the food!!! The Austrian chef is a genius! Lots of seafood, often with an Indian touch, and everything delicious and very well presented.

The water in the bay is very calm, because the waves break 200m from the shore. Yet, the beach is not very long. One can walk in 10 minutes from one end to the other.

The hotel is located in a large tropical garden, which you can use for extended walks. Also the Spa is worth mentioning.

Summary: The Shanti is a bit pricey, but if you look for a fantastic, romantic and extraordinary hotel, then take the Shanti! You will not regret it.

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear reviewer "KlausFuxl",

Greetings from Shanti Maurice - A Nira Resort.

It was indeed an honour and a privilege being your hosts and I am delighted to learn that you had a pleasurable experience with us and that, in particular, you have found our food to be world-class. Please rest assured that I will be sharing your valuable comments with our Executive Chef, Willi, who will no doubt be happy!

Scotland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 22, 2013

Shanti Maurice is a small resort with61 rooms spread out over a very large area.
I'm sure even if all rooms were occupied it would never feel busy.
There is a feeling of being able to chill out and relax and leave your worries behind in the peaceful atmosphere.
There are many activities on offer - non motorised water sports,cycling ,gym,golf putting area and bunker, 2 floodlit tennis courts and a kids club.

It also has the most wonderful spa (the largest in Mauritius with 25 treatment rooms )using Africology products

Room Tip: All rooms have ocean view but the downstairs ones have direct access to the beach and include an out...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank feebib
Dear reviewer "feebib",

2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 9, 2013

The location of this hotel is in a poor location. The south of the island is desolate and the weather is not as good as the hotels in the east. The service at the hotel is good overall. The main problem with this hotel is the lack of lighting, you cannot walk outside of your room after 6pm, you will require a buggy to take you around. The hotel feels very restrictive due to this. The beach is dirty and overcrowded.

• Stayed May 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank Travelbezzy
Dear reviewer "Travelbezzy",

Greetings from Shanti Maurice - A Nira Resort.

I was happy to read that you found the service at Shanti Maurice to be of high standard, however, on the other hand, I was concerned to learn that you did not enjoy to the fullest your experience with us.

Your comments pertaining the lighting around the Estate have been taken into consideration and we have in fact, adjusted our timers, so as to ensure better visibility in the evening and night times. As to our location, we are situated in the southern-most part of the Island which is still very much untouched and therefore, providing our valued guests with tranquility as well as the option to explore the "real" Mauritius and what it has to offer.

Kindly note that all beaches in Mauritius are public and therefore, not exclusive to the use of hotel guests. I should point out that we have a strict daily cleaning schedule so as to ensure the beach is indeed ready to be enjoyed. I am therefore unsure as to what exactly did you mean by the beach being dirty. I would appreciate it if you could kindly write to me separately with more details, so that we can look into the matter and take the necessary remedial action.

I hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you and your family soon back home to Shanti Maurice.In the meantime, needless to say, that I remain entirely at your disposal for any additional assistance or information that you may require.

karachi
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 2, 2013

Wow what a great resort. Easily the best hotel I've ever stayed at. I'd give it 6 stars. Huge property located on a nice beach. 2 large swimming pools. Amazing spa. Golfing, tennis courts. Lovely villa with a private pool. Nice restaurants. Extremely friendly staff providing top class service. Little golf buggies take you around. They have a really good kids club also. My wife and I spent 4 days and didn't want to leave. Even the junior suites are very nice and situated right on the beach. Several water activities to do. The villas are world class. Food is very costly, so try to get a half board package. Showers could use a bit more water pressure. I'll never forget this vacation. We would love to go again!

Room Tip: All rooms are nice with decks or balconies facing the beach. You can't go wrong.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank sameerdada
Dear reviewer "sameerdada",

Greetings from Shanti Maurice - A Nira Resort.

We look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you soon back home to Shanti Maurice, a place and people purely devoted to pleasure and where our guests arrive as residents, leave as friends and return as family.

Monte-Carlo, Monaco
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 18, 2013

On arrival the atmosphere grabs you: the huge, colonial style open reception and the glorious grounds and gardens, streams and ponds with lilies and fish, make you realise what you are missing when you are living in a city. Plus it's warm, which is no small thing during a European winter. Because the grounds are so immense you never feel crowded. The resort was almost full when we were there (I asked) and we never noticed it, even at morning Yoga. I still can't believe more people don't take advantage of the morning classes. Yoga in an open pavilion, surrounded by wonderful gardens is such a great way to start the day. One thing that has changed since we last stayed is there are no more Yoga PJs available, so make sure to bring some gear if you are going to participate in the classes, which you should. Anil is a wonderful, patient teacher and you will be calmer and fitter for his classes.

After Yoga: breakfast by the beach. Food is great and service is excellent. The restaurant manager, Soobia, is really on top of things. I asked Soobia if I could have mangos with breakfast and I got mangos the next day and every day after that. This time we decided to pace ourselves, which meant fresh tropical fruit, bircher muesli, yogurt, fresh juice, coffee and croissants. The home made yogurt is a must try. There is more on offer but we resisted the temptation (to an extent). We started out on half-board but quickly realised that we just could not eat a three course meal every night for dinner so we swapped to Bed and Breakfast. There were loads of fresh fish, we had an excellent South African barbecue one night and always left the restaurant happy. One note: there could have been more salads on the menu. For example, the Guacomole served with the seabass starter was SO good it could have been a stand alone dish.

The rooms are spacious and well looked after. With just the right amount of attention to detail. The beach was lovely, clean and beautiful. There are lots of pools and no problem finding a lounge. Ateeb, the room manager, was very hands on and even made a room available to us the day we left, as we had a late flight out. A gesture which was much appreciated.

Suggestions: we got to the Shanti just a tad too late for breakfast. It would be nice if the Hotel could arrange a small welcome breakfast for people like us. The first time we stayed here on arrival we were whisked into the breakfast area on the beach and I can tell you after a long flight from Europe it was just the most magnificent way to start our holiday. At any rate we would go back in a heartbeat for the beauty of the place and because it is well run by kind and friendly staff. So well done guys.

Room Tip: We had an upstairs room which meant we could turn off the air conditioning and sleep with the window...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear reviewer "IviBee",

Greetings from Shanti Maurice - A Nira Resort.

I would like to also take this opportunity to thank you for sharing your suggestion pertaining the breakfast option for our esteemed guests who check-in at the Estate once breakfast service is over and we will look into the matter, accordingly.

Please rest assured that I will be sharing your valuable comments with the team, especially with Soobia, our Assistant Food and Beverage Manager as well as Ateeb, our Director of Rooms, who will no doubt be joyous to receive such high praise.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Chemin Grenier
LUX* Grand Gaube
LUX* Grand Gaube
#1 of 4 in Grand Gaube
5.0 of 5 bubbles 4,243 reviews

Been to Shanti Maurice A Nira Resort? Share your experiences!