We recently spent 9 days at heaven on earth! We fell in love with this extremely well-kept hotel and will definitely be back. The pool villas were booked so we opted for a junior beachfront suite and were far from disappointed. The room was extremely spacious, the bathroom was huge, the outdoor shower was a nice touch, and our maid Anjaeen Soniah was particularly delightful and thorough. We heard the sound of the waves crashing against the reef 24 hours/day and the view was spectacular! Rooms are cleaned once a day and there is an evening turn-down service where fresh towels are brought and a little tidying up occurs. We spent most of our time reading and dining on our porch or laying on the beach which was literally a few feet from our porch. Service was far beyond our expectations at all times - Norbert the concierge, Priya and Deepa at the restaurant, Clyde at the beach at the restaurant! The staff goes out of their way to accommodate every single wish. For example, we both came down with colds after the all-night flight and in addition to calling a doctor for us, we received multiple calls from management and the spa doctor to ensure we were okay.
One friendly piece of advice - keep the screen-door closed once it starts to get dark and bring some cream for mosquito bites just in case. :-)
We had several spa treatments which included some of the best massages we have ever had. The atmosphere in the spa is an invitation to relax and the staff, manager Novie Jones, and the doctor Dr. Arun are most helpful and highly competent. I tried eyebrow threading for the first time with lovely Varouna and was very impressed! Everyone seemed to take a genuine interest in each guest as an individual and service at the spa and everywhere else in the hotel came from the heart. We booked our treatments before arrival and were able to get the times we wanted. They do offer daily specials however and there were some very good deals.
We had half-board and the food was excellent and great value for money - how nice to not have to fight over bread at a breakfast buffet. One orders breakfast from a menu every morning. For dinner we could choose between two restaurants and there is cuisine to suit every taste (meat and fish, curries, great pizzas, pastas etc.). An appetizer, main course and dessert are permitted on half-board and there are no restrictions - the whole menu is open to half-board clients. We were usually able to get a table outside with a view but table reservations are not permitted so it is a bit hit or miss. We actually had a lot of meals on our terrace and the room service was excellent!
It really was the little things at Shanti Maurice that made such a big difference - cold towels on the beach, free bottled water in the room and on the beach, a Nespresso coffee machine in the room, the occasional drink or snack on the beach, and a parting thank-you note and flower from the roomservice colleague Sweetie. One day we accidentally left the safe open and the maid reported this to the manager who promptly found us at breakfast to do an inventory. Upon arrival they greeted us and spent a lot of time explaining details about the hotel and showing us our room. Without us saying a word, they noticed that the slippers provided might be a bit small for us and within a few hours they returned with the right size.
For those who prefer a little more action there is always something going on - lectures, herb garden tours, yoga lessons, and even some of the water activities are free of charge. Excursions can also be booked through the hotel. We were looking for total rest and relaxation so never left the hotel.
We were also able to check-in early in the morning and check out late in evening which was wonderful - we could enjoy Shanti Maurice up until the very last minute. This makes such a big difference and sets the hotel apart from so many we have been to!
This hotel sets a new benchmark in terms of both service and beauty. We are counting down the days until we can return and would definitely consider staying for 2-3 weeks upon our next visit.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Shanti Maurice is a luxury lifestyle resort comprising 61 suites and 17 villas on the untouched south of Mauritius. The Nira Spa set in 75,000 sq feet of tropical gardens, provides traditional Indian Ayurveda and international spa treatments. Dining options include Stars, with contemporary Cape cuisine; Mauritian dishes and Wellness cuisine at Pebbles, or beach-side dining at The Fish and Rhum Shack. Shanti Maurice welcomes couples and families perfectly catering for weddings or honeymoons. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Hotwire, Agoda, Priceline, HotelTravel.com, Odigeo, Travelocity, Expedia and Cheap Tickets so you can book your Shanti Maurice A Nira Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Shanti Maurice a Nira Hotel Chemin Grenier
- Shanti Ananda Maurice Mahebourg
- Shanti Maurice A Nira Resort Mauritius/Chemin Grenier