We chose Jalsa Beach for its location and size,it's situated on the quieter part of the island,with a fair bus service into Flacq ,well worth the experience alone if you can remember the end of 'the italian job' and the coach trip around the bends,this sums up the bus run into town!
The hotel has a small beach,but when we were there nobody used it as its only a few feet from the pool and grounds of the hotel,the beach slopes very gently and you can walk across the bay to the adjacent hotel roughly 500yds away without the sea covering your chest.Free use of pedalos and canoes make it safe for children and life jackets are compulsory.
The hotel is typical for Indian/African design with lots of dark wooden furniture and rendered walls but all in good condition,our room was large with excellent sea views although its best to ask for an upper floor room if an uninterrupted sea view is a priority,ground floor rooms do have a sea view but may be slightly obscured by waving palm trees(what a tragedy!).The staff were very very helpful and genuinely seemed to enjoy being there and making you feel at ease.
We found the food to be fresh and well cooked and if you didnt see anything on the menu that appealed to you the chefs would cook to your requirements,as we were all inclusive (the only way to go) virtually everything on the menu was included with only branded drinks being extra.
Some other guests complained about the range of food,being mostly Indian,local or creole based but please do your research as it does state this when you look on the web,but we found alternatives if thats what you wanted.
Entertainment seemed to be every other night with low key background musicians,which we found good as you could still eat and here each other talking,A disco on Friday night but only until 11pm-please note all inclusive drinks are only served until 10pm after which you have to pay,but the bar staff do tell you a few minutes before ten allowing you get some drinks in if you wish.Pushbikes are available to rent from reception,which we did and really enjoyed the experience as the locals drive very slowly(unlike the buses) and the roads are excellent,there are many coves and public beaches a few minutes from the Hotel in both directions all are immaculate and many have changing rooms and showers provided free,you do not get hassled from hawkers and although taxis are parked outside the grounds of the hotel we were never pressured by them in fact we used them quite a lot,its expected that you barter a price,we had a full days trip to the north of the island for 2800 Rupees,and a longer trip to the south for 3200 Rupees,the drivers are very knowledgeable and are very proud of their island and will take you places you would probably miss if you hired a car as the road signs are a bit rare!!
We watched a local fisherman cleaning his catch and his customer invited us to lunch with him on the beach the next day but unfortunately we were leaving to come home.
To sum up, a clean friendly hotel and staff in a quiet location,with fair facilities and a small beach area,remember,this is a four star hotel so some people may be disappointed with its location etc; but for the price its unbeatable.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Nestled on the gentle shores of the Indian Ocean, Jalsa Beach Hotel & Spa overlooks a turquoise lagoon with stunning mountain scenery. Found along the North East coast of the tropical island of Mauritius, at Poste Lafayette, Jalsa Beach Hotel & Spa is the perfect choice for those looking for a peaceful and relaxing holiday. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Cancelon, Travelocity, TripOnline SA, Hotwire, Cheap Tickets and HotelQuickly so you can book your Jalsa Beach Hotel & Spa - Mauritius reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Jalsa Beach Hotel And Spa - Mauritius
- Jalsa Beach Hotel & Spa - Mauritius Poste Lafayette