“Peace and quiet”

Ranked #1 of 13 Hotels in Cape Panwa
north east
“Peace and quiet”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 24, 2014 via mobile

This is a long review, but felt because it was our first time, it might just help other first timers. Bare with it. Just returned from 2 weeks, it was our first time in Thailand and certainly won't be our last.
On arrival, greeted, bags taken up the stairs, had a cold drink and cold towel, just perfect after the long flights. Was given a voucher for 1 free drink each and a 10% voucher to spend at the shops.
We were upgraded from a studio room to an apartment, (203) we had a kitchen area, only used the fridge and the washing machine, living area and separate bedroom, air con in both rooms, balcony looking over the main pool.
Room cleaned everyday, apart from 2 days where we put do no disturb, and reception asked us if we wanted the room cleaning later, or wanted towels and water.
Breakfast is fine plenty to choose from, had omelettes (sometimes with added shell) but can choose eggs anyway you want. Nice cup of tea and they have lurpack butter and brown sauce ha ha.
All staff lovely and will acknowledge you at all times.
Pools lovely and clean and water nice and warm, sun beds fine, with a padded bed, get towels from reception. Main pool was quiet most of the times and the roof top pool was the same, sometimes there was a little sewage smell up there, but not a problem to moan about.
We visited the sister hotel on the free shuttle bus or walked the hill, pool is lovely there but there are not enough sun beds round the pool, if I was staying there I wouldn't be too happy if I couldn't have got a sun bed. Plenty of beds down on the beach though, which we visited once,sea lovely and warm, crystal clear water and powdery sand, not really sand people, but worth the visit. I went to do the fruit carving activity, I asked if it was on and they said yes at 1600, but no one ever appeared on the 2 separate occasions I went to do it.
Got a few bites off the mosquitoes, even though we sprayed and had bands on, damn nuisance.
You can get wifi password from reception for both hotels,and it reached the breakfast room and the pool side, my husband also got it in the room. We used the gym a couple of times, which was adequate for what we needed to do.
We ate once in the Italian at kantary, it was ok, dearer than the local restaurants and service charge is included on all food and drink from the hotels. Happy hour is BOGOF, but with service charge, it's no cheaper.
We ate at the Sawasdee, seabreaze, sabai sabai the one at the end of the road and up the hill. Basically the menus are the same as the sawasdee apparently everybody works there then moves on taking their menu ideas with them ha ha. We ate at live India, that was the BEST INDIAN I've ever tasted. We ate and had a couple of drinks at all restaurants for less than 1000 bahts. No pressure to leave tips, but we did. All restaurants are busy and sometimes have to queue. I have reviewed these seperate. We had lovely coffee and cakes and ice creams at the kantary cafe next to the supermarket, I could also reach the wifi from there and sawasdee.
We had drinks at Russell's sunset bar, nice friendly welcome. We had Thai massage and pedicure at sabai which is half way up the hill on the left, they are lovely, and also aloe Vera massage and foot massage at lotus which is next to the Indian. Again lovely people and both really cheap.
We went to the aquarium, I have reviewed this separate also.
We went to banana beach via the longboats down by the aquarium, this was from 8.30 to 3.00 for 2000 bahts, great for seeing the fish, great for snorkelling, but it was really shallow and you could see them, ask at breakfast and they will give you a bag of stale bread to feed them.
We booked a tour through the man at kantary for James Bond island, basically you tell him what you want to pay and then you barter, was a great trip and well worth what we paid, but very busy. We paid a local taxi driver to take us elephant trekking and to see the big Buddha, and another night went in taxi to the beach bar, get there before sunset so you can watch the sun going down, had a lovely meal too, check out the pancake lady next door and the on the beach restaurant next door.
We got the hotel bus to central festival (shopping mall) for a small return price, and we got the taxi bus to patong on a couple of nights again for a return price. We also went to phuket, not much there, we got a tuc tuc and he showed us round. We also went to watch Thai boxing which was in phuket, was good. We got taxi to the weekend phuket night market, taxi waits for you.
There are street vendors every night outside hotel, just great to go down and people watch, we had the chicken on sticks and was ok.
On our last day, we had to vacate our room by 12 but we used the pool and they allowed us a room to shower before getting picked up that night.
Overall a relaxing holiday, lovely staff, great hotel. Yes I would return to Thailand but I want to see other places. There we got there, think I've covered everything, have a great time and relax.

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
7 Thank mturnbull
Kasemkij_Group, General Manager at Kantary Bay, Phuket, responded to this review, May 2, 2014
The Kantary Bay, Phuket, welcomes your extensive descriptive and informative review after your 1st time stay with us, as it should be very helpful to other readers planning a stay on Cape Panwa. As you have noted there is a lot to do and see during a stay with us. We look forward to seeing you and welcoming you back again soon. Thank you for your positive endorsement.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (300)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Penang Island, Malaysia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2014

This was my second visit and based on last year I had a long term stay of 4weeks. I was greeted by the staff and manager like part of the family with a fresh orange juice and cold towel. The whole visit was like this with every member of staff from manager to receptionists cleaners and gardeners greeting you with a smile and their Thai welcome. The hotel room is more like an apartment and I was fortunate enough to not only have kitchen facilities lounge and balcony with amazing view but also a washing machine which was a bonus as I had been travelling for a while. Other facilities at the hotel include two swimming pools, the rooftop pool having spectacular views over the bay. The added bonus is to have use of the facilities at the partner hotel, cape panwa, which includes its own private beach. There is a free shuttle bus running frequently to take you up the steep hill but it is only a 10 minute walk.( not advised to do in the heat too often!) the breakfasts are varied and cater for everyone , the freshly made omelettes being a favourite of mine. There are many restaurants around the area serving very good Thai food at reasonable prices and there is also Indian Italian and more western dishes available. It is a lovely relaxing quiet area and for those in need of a nightlife taxis are available to take you to patong.
There are many repeat long stay guests and I will be becoming one of them......the staff make his such a warm and welcoming place and do everything they can to meet your needs. Thank you for making my holiday such a good one.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Megan L
Kasemkij_Group, General Manager at Kantary Bay, Phuket, responded to this review, April 28, 2014
The Kantary Bay, Phuket, thanks you for your descriptive and informative review after your 4 week stay with us and looks forward to your regular returns for stays with us on Cape Panwa. As you note, our attentive, friendly, and helpful staff, from top to bottom, treats our guests as family, which makes stays with us good stays. Your appreciation has been shared with them and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon.
Weymouth, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 22, 2014

Rarely do you get service like this. All staff are incredibly helpful and gracious. We did have problems with noise from air con unit and pool filter outside (along with building work near side bay wing - note hotel has three wings) However this was sorted out by the manager - thank you again Ning. The rooms are comfortable and need a little updating, bathrooms especially. I am fussy about white grout and no mouldy marks - just being realistic when a hotel is referred to as a luxury hotel. That said all public areas and gardens are immaculate. But I think the location is what you value here along with the use of sister hotel facilities already referred to by many other reviewers ( a great private beach) . The coast and scenic location are great and appreciated from the rooftop pool which never got crowded. A real plus is the range of eating options in and around the hotel. The hotel has two restaurants, Thai and Italian, both good and a coffee shop - toasted sandwiches a steal at just over a pound. Out and about you can get a main dish and rice for 2 to 3 pounds. Don't miss the Beach Bar just around the bay - great beach vibe, cheap good local food and wow sunsets. Ok you have to mix it up a little - the blue elephant in Phuket Town a gourmet treat but half the price you pay at the London Branch. Baba Soul food at Sri Panwa hotel up a hill next to the aquarium was a real find. Again more expensive but think contemporary jungle decking overlooking the bay.
Just a little caution with the excursions guy in the hotel - we had a mixed experience, some trips were pitched as 4 star but had shocking poor food and local thai boxing had children of eight, yes eight fighting full contact. I have a kick boxing background and contemplated walking as this was truly full contact, fortunately the next fight did not feature children - a reminder that there are cultural differences.
So back to the Kantary, ideal if you are looking for a relaxed holiday within easy reach of Phuket Town, (note Taxis are not cheap better if you are a group and share costs) It is the 5 star service that defines this place and yes I would go back and hope for a quiet room. Did I mention we eventually got the honeymoon suite - now that was a lot to live up to.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank TheFinalWord631
Kasemkij_Group, General Manager at Kantary Bay, Phuket, responded to this review, April 24, 2014
The Kantary Bay, Phuket, thanks you for sharing your descriptive, informative, and suggestive review with us and our readers, after your recent stay with us on Cape Panwa, as it should be useful to other readers planning a stay with us. Your appreciation for our ‘service with a smile’ staff, some by name, has been noted for sharing with them. We look forward to your soonest return for another enjoyable and pleasant stay with us on Cape Panwa.
Deal, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2014

Can only echo all the positive comments, just had a two week stay and found the staff lovely, the room good, the view beautiful, the breakfasts tasty. This was not our first trip to the area and it won't be the last. See you next year

• Stayed April 2014
1 Thank Rossmarilyn
The Kantary Bay, Phuket, thanks you for your positive endorsement and looks forward to welcoming you back again next year.
Stockholm, Sweden
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 19, 2014

I stayed at the Kantary Bay from April 16-19. I had a studio suite (one bedroom with living room, kitchen) that was sufficiently large and comfortable. I paid only about 1600 baht per night for a large studio with many nice facilities. Check-in was quick and carried out in a professional manner. Upon check-in, the receptionist explained about the restaurants, pool areas, etc. Coupons were offered for a free drink at one of the hotel’s two bars. The concierge was very helpful in planning excursions. One very nice feature is that the Kantary Bay’s sister hotel (Panwa) is located about five minutes away by shuttle, and all the attractions at the Panwa were available for Kantary Bay guests, including a nice beach (towels were given free of charge), two pools and of course various restaurants. The kitchen area is great for families or couples who like to cook and have dinner at home. The kitchen appliances included a toaster, microwave, hot plate with two burners, a large refrigerator and even a washing machine (no dryer). The refrigerator had two bottles of free water, supplied daily. An LCD TV (32 inch) was located in the living room (no TV in the bedroom). The bathroom comprised a bathtub and separate shower. The water pressure was strong and the water temperature varied from cold to very hot (I like hot showers, so it was perfect for me). In general, the staff members were very friendly and professional (Diana was particularly nice… she’s from the Philippines). The bar staff were extremely friendly and the bar t4ender made nice margaritas, which I took during happy hour (buy one and get one free). A free shuttle service was available to take guests from the Kantary Bay to the Panwa and back, running very often. The hotel also offered transportation to various locations at a very reasonable price (for example, roundtrip to Patong is 400 baht). A regular taxi would be at least double this price. The buffet breakfast was nicer than I expected (recall, I paid only 1600/night). I was surprised to find French toast with maple syrup! I had a buffet steak dinner at the Panwa (800 baht ++, ++ refers to 10% service charge and 7% government tax). I try to avoid buffets for several reasons (I eat more than I should and the food is usually not so good). I think the tenderloin cut was decent enough and the lamp chops were, to my surprise, quite good. The other steak cuts were not very good. The buffet also included meats such as spare ribs, chicken and pork, as well as vegetables, salad, potatoes and of course desserts. If you enjoy lamb and steak (tenderloin), I think you should try the buffet at the Panwa. In general, the Kantary Bay was a pleasant resort that tried hard to make one’s holiday pleasant without draining the guests’ pocket book. My only real complaint was that the room was always cleaned very late (after 3 pm), and one day I even had to request housekeeping service because it seemed they had forgotten my room. One other incident should be noted. The driver who took me to the airport drove extremely fast and thus dangerously. I was surprised because normally hotel drivers are very careful, often driving too slowly!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
3 Thank lshapspro
Kasemkij_Group, General Manager at Kantary Bay, Phuket, responded to this review, April 23, 2014
The Kantary Bay, Phuket, appreciates your descriptive and informative review of our property as well as our sister hotel which should prove useful to other readers planning a visit to Kantary Bay Phuket. Your appreciative mention of our attentive staff, by name or position, has been shared with them while your expressed concerns have been shared with the specific heads of department in the continuing effort to provide enjoyable holidays for all of our guests. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon. Thank you for your review.
Cambridge, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 17, 2014

My first trip to Thailand and it is well worth the long flight.
The two rooms were in the main building at the corner of the second floor; one had a great view of the bay. Both had large living areas and seperate bedrooms, with independant air-con.

The staff in the hotel were very polite and helpful; this was very important as our daughter has alergies to both sesemie and peanuts.

We made great use of the partner hotels facilities (Cape Panwa Hotel beach & restaurants) which are accesses using the free shutle bus service.

A quick review of the restaurants & bars we used:
- Dolphin Bar: small and cosy
- Otters Bar: a lot larger with great views of the bay
- Cafe Andaman: good selection of meals for the middle of the day.
- Leam Panwa: good sea food, but the staff were less attentive.
- Top of the Reef: expensive, but very attentive service and fantastic high quality food; a perfect last nights meal.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Sean196411
The Kantary Bay, Phuket, is pleased to have met your expectations and thanks you for sharing your feedback of the hotel and dining experiences after your recent stay with us on Cape Panwa. We thank you look forward to welcoming you again on your second trip to Thailand. Thank you for your commentary.
Oxford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 10, 2014

Great resort, booked as the final destination in our tour of the Andaman coast with Andaman Sky adventures, top marks to them for a wonderful itinerary and competitive prices (we also thought it was impressive the way we stopped off on our transfers to do something interesting along the way, with a range of choices offered to us - we chose to visit the Tiger temple en route back to the airport. The Kantary Bay is a top place, offering excellent food, a good spa, tip-top service levels and very good accommodation, I recommend other holiday-makers to go stay there too.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Kasemkij_Group, General Manager at Kantary Bay, Phuket, responded to this review, April 18, 2014
The Kantary Bay, Phuket, thanks you for your positive endorsement which should be useful to other readers planning a trip to the Cape Panwa peninsula. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon for another memorable stay with us on Cape Panwa.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cape Panwa
Amatara Wellness Resort
#3 of 13 in Cape Panwa
Mandarava Resort and Spa
Sri Panwa Phuket Luxury Pool Villa Hotel

Been to Kantary Bay, Phuket? Share your experiences!