“Great holiday”
Review of Cape Panwa Hotel

Cape Panwa Hotel
Ranked #3 of 13 Hotels in Cape Panwa
Reviewed February 13, 2011

We initially booked 11 nights in a superior room.

We were pleasantly surprised to have been upgraded to a jacuzzi suite. This made for fantastic living accommodation for the entire stay. I would definitely recommend having one of these spacious rooms. The room had two big LCD screens, Dvd/cd, a sitting area and a jacuzzi on the balcony overlooking the bay!

The hotel does have a choice of a few restaurants on site or at the nearby Kantary Bay sister hotel. The food quality and service at these is acceptable. When compared to local Thai restaurants, they are however a little pricey. One 'interesting' experience we had was at at the Top of the Reef restaurant adjoining the Otters bar. The roof had been leaking following a particularly heavy storm. It was leaking onto the table that we were due to sit at. The head waiter challenged us to if a wine glass filled with rain water before we finished our meal, we would have free glass of wine. We narrowly missed the wine due to only filling the wine glass three quarters full! Having said that the food was nice.

The best food we had was at the Uncle Sams Italian restaurant at Kantary Bay hotel and the Panwa restaurant on the beach at Cape Panwa hotel. Excellent food and service at both, but remember to book a table.

If you like massage, there is a spa on site. Compared to other hotels we have visited, it was good value and provided a quality treatment. However, for a bargain Thai massage, visit one of the local Thai businesses. We visited one a few minutes walk from the hotel called Chaba. The lady who runs this is an ex employee of the hotel spa. Her treatments can be recommended if you're ok with a fairly 'basic' interior.

One final point is the beach. The beach is good with nice sand, but you'll need appropriate shoes to go in the sea as it's quite rocky. There are plenty of sun loungers available. However, to avoid disappointment a pre-breakfast visit to the beach is recommended to secure your favoured spot with towels! I've never been into doing this, but this is a must. The hotel is frequented by long staying more mature guests, who seem to almost acquire a right to the same loungers for their entire three month stay!

Finally, a great hotel in a nice quiet location and well worth a visit if this suits your type of holiday.

• Stayed: January 2011
2  Thank pete0081
Write a ReviewReviews (2,737)

Reviewed February 12, 2011

Arrived apprehensive, as you do after a long trip and not quite sure what you are going to get. No need. What a beautiful place!. The checkin was very professional and quick. Shown to our room, which was enormous. Very large double bed in a very large room.
Welcome fruit given on arrival which was a nice touch. Large balcony which had chairs and table and a reclining leather sitting area. Enormous bathroom which had a nice shower and separate bath with bidet and toilet and washbasins x 2 . I think we were in a new block because it was all brand new. Breakfast very good indeed. with everything you could wish for, from chicken and rice to croissants/full english breakfast/omelettes,etc.
The pools were good, with one on the beach and one by the hotel. Plenty of lounge areas to sit about. A lift down to the beach which is totally private and lovely. A restaurant is on the beach, and in the evening buses run to other parts of the island, or down to the little front where the other hotel is with a few shops and bars. The only downside I would say is that it is not near anything, if you want nightlife/shops this is not the place for you, as you have to go out for everything. If you want a nice/quiet/clean and private hotel, then this would be perfect. Hotel staff very professional and extremely polite. A lovely stay.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 11, 2011

Please read and understand, this is a special Hotel for special people. As per usual I travelled with my mostly faithful girlfriend, she was by my side the whole time and a real rock!
Our room was massive, huge and on two occasions I got lost in its hugeness. The breakfast was super and the private beach something to behold. The staff vary at the Hotel, one member of staff had possible manic depression but I don't wish to discuss that right now. Another member of staff ran a Muay Thai gym which he allow me use of for private lessons, another member of staff had a moustache so you can see where i'm coming from. All were fantastic in their own ways.
I recommend you hire a vehicle and experience the island, travel upto the rainforest in the neighbouring province of Surrat Thanni and look a Gibbon in the eye and Kayak in the Mangroves. Please enjoy the Thai people, they don’t like loud noises or dishonesty. Also sample the food, Chang beer and frivolity throughout the Holiday.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank MrFish1626
Reviewed February 10, 2011

What a gem of a hotel, the staff can't do enough for you, the private beach is ideal apart from the inconsiderate people who take the beach umbrellas from other beds (1 umbrella must not be enough) so other beds go without! the shuttle bus over the hill to Kantary Bay runs every 10 min, but the walk is not as bad as some reviews make out, the trip to the hotel takes approx 1 hour from the airport but at least gives you a look at the island.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank collywollyWirral
Reviewed February 8, 2011

My husband and I stayed for 8 nights following a few days in Chiang Mai. We have stayed in quite a few hotels in the Far East and whilst the facilities in this hotel are very good we found the service disappointing.

I agree with one of the comments posted earlier about newcomers being treated differently to those who come back year after year. Whilst I accept that the hotel wants to reward its loyal guests and whilst there was no rude behaviour by the staff, they most certainly didn't engage or even try to engage as much with the newcomers.

The rooms are very nice, we were very lucky to be upgraded, the beach area is lovely though you have to get there early if you want a decent spot as the sister hotel (Kantary Bay) has no beach so alot of its guests come to the Cape Panwa.

Finally, we were very surprised and disappointed with the lack of vegetarian food on the menu at the hotel's restaurants. Only Uncle Nan's which is Italian was able to cater for us adequately.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 7, 2011

Our second stay at the Cape Panwa. A wonderful hotel, staff really helpful always pleasant and nothing to much trouble (even taught our five year old a few words of Thai), rooms great huge TV , jacuzzi on the balcony and plenty of room (shower to take a layer of skin off, heaven!) Both pools very good and not too noisy. Great areas for the kids to play in and the baboon that came down to the beach for his bananas most afternnons was always very polite. Staff on the beach lovely and remembered us from a couple of years back even got our names right at first sight.
The location beautiful, slightly out of the thick of things but since it was only around fifteen pounds a day to get one of the drivers at the bottom of the hill to run you right round the island not a problem.
Enjoyed the flintstone theamed crazy golf immensely and our trip to the waterpark was the highlight of our trip would go earlier when we return as didn't have time tp go back before the end of our trip. Was also cheaper than advertised on web site. The big bhudda was well worth a trip and the veiws are stunning. Take the time to wander up the side baths but do remember it is a giant building site. Aquarium at the bottom of the hill worth a visit if you've got kids. Good if you get a wet day. Avoid the zoo, awful experience poor babies.
My husband had an ear infection, the pharmacist who is at the hotel most days examined him, double checked with her boss over the phone asked us to come back in half an hour, hopped on her scooter and back she came with anti biotics, ear drops and pain killers. The whole lot cost less than two prescriptions back home. An excellent service.
The lighthouse happy hour is not to be missed and the all the resturants in the hotel where very good with a specail mention for Uncle Nans Italian.
The little village at the bottom of the hill has THE best indian resturant we have ever been to. Everything cooked fresh and such a lovely family running it. By the end of this stay they were choosing the food for us. They even made chicken nuggets for our little boy one night when over tired he didn't want anything else! Usaully will eat anything but that night it was nuggets or nothing!
Tim at guest relations was also very helpful and a mine of information in the lead up to our stay. Can't thank him enough.
We are starting a new business venture this year so I think it's going to be 2012 before we make it back but we are not even thinking of another hotel.

Stayed: October 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank Snitchsox
Reviewed February 7, 2011

I am presently staying at the Cape Panwa and whilst I agree that it is a good hotel there are a few issues with it that I do not enjoy. The worst one being the way some NON guests think because they come every year they have some almighty right to be the number one dogs. the management and I include guest relations seem to go out their way to pick them out at the expense of lesser mortals who are only here for the first time but in my opinion are the ones who need guidance more than someone who has come for the last seven years.
This morning I had one elderly person indignantly accuse me of pinching his sun bed I told him that he would have to get up earlier if he wanted that particular bed as I was an earlier riser. I then found out there was a group of people who have enticed a member of staff to book their beds every day, the killer for me is that they are not even staying in the Cape but are are in the Kantey Bay how cheeky can some people get. I cannot wait until the morning

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
Kasemkij_Group, General Manager at Cape Panwa Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 16, 2011

Thank you for your feedback. Let me assure you that all staff are trained to treat guests in the same courteous and helpful manner regardless of how many times they have stayed with us. I regret that this has not been your experience. Your comments have been noted and action will be taken where necessary. Once again thank you for your feedback and we hope you will visit us again soon.

The Management

#1 of 13 in Cape Panwa
The Pavilions Phuket
The Pavilions Phuket
#4 of 36 in Choeng Thale

Been to Cape Panwa Hotel? Share your experiences!