“Very nice but some things need sorting out”

Amatara Wellness Resort
Ranked #3 of 13 Hotels in Cape Panwa
Reviewed May 5, 2013 via mobile

Just got back from a 5 night stay here which we booked at the seemingly bargainous rate of A$205 per night including breakfast and taxes.

I must disagree with the previous reviewer re his review of the pavilion room which we also had; I found the air conditioning to be excessively noisy and had to sleep with earplugs in though he was right about the bed linen; I found it unbearably scratchy and hard and had to sleep with a t-shirt and shorts on which is a pity in the tropics.

Some bath salts inside the empty bowl beside the lovely bath as well as some chamomile tea alongside or in lieu of one of the 3 standard teas would also be welcome.

The breakfasts were excellent and the service there and everywhere else was great.

We ate in the grill three times and 5 out of our 6 meals there were good. They also made me a lovely cake for my birthday which was a lovely touch.

There were a few maintenance issues while we were there; the most worrying of which was water leaking heavily through a downlight in the bathroom during a downpour. Nobody seemed that concerned when we reported it but maybe it was the language barrier? Many of the outdoor lights were not working on our last night there which was also a worry as there's a lot of steps and quite dangerous in the dark.

We found the electronics in the room exasperating at times and it's odd that charging our phones etc was so difficult in a newly built hotel; most of the sockets were under tables at ground level and none would fit our Australian plugs. Luckily we brought some adaptors with us.

We would return but maybe would book a suite room in the hope it may have less noisy A/C. The current advertised rate for these rooms would be ok but theres no way we'd pay too much more. Many of the other issues we experienced I'm sure will be sorted out.

The location and views from all parts of the hotel were breathtaking and the resort overall had a very pleasing elegant but relaxed feel.

• Stayed: May 2013
1  Thank MattJamesEager
RegentPhuket, Manager at Amatara Wellness Resort, responded to this reviewResponded May 7, 2013

Dear Sir,

Thank you for taking time share your review about your recent stay at Regent Phuket Cape Panwa. We appreciate feedback and valued comments.

We are also delighted to learn that you enjoyed views from all parts of the resort and the overall had a very pleasing elegant but relaxed feel.

We have well received your comments concerning our rooms facilities and set up. Please rest assured that the technical rectification will be put in place to improve our quality and services.

Once again thank you for your feedback, we all are looking forward to welcoming you back to our resort soon.

Regent Phuket Cape Panwa

There are newer reviews for Amatara Wellness Resort

Reviewed May 3, 2013

I will try to give a VERY detailed review of my recent stay at the hotel (4 nights) in April. I would like to point out that I work for an international airline so I am in and out of 4/5 star hotels around 150 nights of the year so my expectations/standards are probably a bit higher as a result so please bear that in mind...

There is also some mis-understanding in the travel community that this company is owned/operated by The Four Seasons - its not - it was, but its not now. You can google it for the history I won't waste time going into it here.

On to the review...

Prior to arrival initial booking/communication was a complete disaster. Their website is not really detailed and not that user friendly. If you look carefully you can find 3 different emails for this hotel (reservations, sales and the hotel itself). To cut a very long story short I sent a total of 5 emails and only got one response finally from their Bangkok office (3rd attempt), responded to that person and then never got a response and gave up. A poor start and I ended up booking through a hotel online booking engine which worked out to be a better deal anyway. This was the major thing I can say was really a huge blip and reflects negatively on the hotel and needs urgent remedial action.

We ended up calling ahead to advise we would not be checking in until late and that was fine.

However on arrival things improved dramatically....

The staff were waiting for us and quite a group of them who all warmly welcome us to the hotel without feeling overly orchestrated. I thought this was a nice touch. Check-in was very quick and smooth with the ubiquitous welcome drink/cold towel. The whole resort is a blend of tropical/minimalist design with subtle thai influences. I thought it was done very well. One previous reviewer mentioned that the furniture was too simple and I think therefore they have missed the complete concept of the place.

We were promptly whisked away on a buggy to our pavilion room. Lots of people mentioned they have been given upgrades but this was never offered and the resort was very quiet so perhaps now they are moving out of the true soft-opening phase this will disappear which is normal so prepare to just get what you paid for. Anyway for me that was not important as in fact I think the pavilion rooms are better offering that the suites. The staff member took a lot of time to explain all the features of the room and as mentioned you get a free mini-bar and 4 pieces of laundry per day. I thought this was great and it will be a shame if they remove it from the standard offering once the resort becomes more established. As mentioned wi-fi was free throughout, no password (like!) and fast enough (about 3mb/s)

The resort itself its on the Cape Panwa and spread over the side of a hill. Its predominantly east facing so you will get great sunrises but most of the rooms will not get a sunset unless you are in some of the room on the west side but then I would say the overall view is worse, so better just to take rooms on the east facing side and drive to other parts of the island if you want sunsets. The pavilion rooms are the 'standard rooms' of the resorts but in fact you might as well call them villas because they are individual smalls villas, the only rooms that are part of a more standard hotel block are the suite rooms which are next to the spa and then you have the pool villas which look lovely although twice the price but include club access

The rooms are beautifully finished with the minimalist/tropical influence running through. A very spacious 60m2. A large bed, table with chairs and then spacious balcony to enjoy a full sea view and some trees etc and relax at night. The Bathroom are huge (in fact 50% of the room) of course full marble/separate bath&shower/2 sinks etc. I liked that fact the wardrobe was in the bathroom as it meant you didn't stare at your suitcases all day long which was a nice idea. The towels in the bathroom were very high quality and plentiful and the l'ocitane amenities were also a bonus. Everything was very well finished. The hot water took a while to come through as some others have mentioned but I didn't find this to be a huge issue. There were some issues with the lighting system but maintenance were prompt and efficient although I think the design/system could be better - sometimes simple is better.

The bed itself was perhaps a slight disappointment (especially for such a high quality resort). Decent feather/down large pillows but duvet was synthetic and they have gone down the line of the organic style cotton bed linen. Ok but not that soft. Also no mattress topper and the mattress itself was a little firm. Its a decent bed, but I wouldn't say on a par with the level of the resort. Also there was no card to indicate whether you would like it to be changed or not which I think is a must.

The one thing I was most impressed with was actually the air-conditioning. It at least appears that they have centralised air conditioning for the entire resort meaning that you don't have noisy compressors running for each villa (or somehow they are completely silenced?) either way it means at night when you sit out on your balcony you can hear the ocean and the insects and not air conditioners running - fantastic and never seen it before in such a spread-out resort!

Last point with the rooms is regarding the suite rooms.They are actually in a part of the resort next to spa/pool so not really secluded and in a typical 3-4 story block. The worst part is there is a blind by the window of the shower so at night you can quite literally see people taking their shower, although the window is mid-height so it preserves some modesty although not for women.

The resort itself is large and well spaced out. There is no point where it feels cluttered and takes you a day just to get your head around the layout. They offer buggy service throughout which was always prompt although most the time we chose to walk around but it was nice to use at times. The pool is fantastic and huge. High quality sun loungers and towels. The staff are attentive without being overbearing and gladly offering cold towels and cold water complimentary which again, I thought was a nice touch.

There is a decent spa on site which is beautifully appointed with wonderful views. We took advantage of a free 15 minute shoulder massage just prior to check out. It was conducted outside on the balcony of one of the treatment rooms with fabulous view of the bay. I regret not taking a massage. I suspect quite expensive but very good.

The gym is small but very high quality and instructors around including steam/sauna. Plentiful amounts of free water/energy drinks/cold towels/dry towels etc.

One of the high points I thought was there are daily activities from yoga/pilates/biking trips etc. The majority of which are free and due to the resort being quiet at this time we had the instructor to ourselves. The facilities and rooms at the gym/spa are really fantastic.

Lastly there is a full library lounge onsite with absolutely loads of books which you can either read there, or check out - again I thought a very nice touch and the room itself was stunning and tranquil.

Regarding the overall geographic location of the resort I suppose this could be a positive/negative depending on what exactly you are looking for. Its on the cape as mentioned and essentially a quiet corner of Phuket. The resort has essentially all that you need anyway so it comes down to a matter of choice as to wether you would like to leave. There is not too much in the area around the hotel - a convenience store and a motorbike hire place (which we used). Down the road to the left are a couple of restaurants and I think a bar and we ate at the Thai restaurant Sawasdee and this was really excellent ( and I am in Thailand every month so I wouldn't say that easily!). The indian restaurant is also meant to be great although didn't try regrettably. Apart from that there are limited options and certainly if you are looking for touristic nightlife/shopping etc then this is not the area for you unless you are prepared to get a scooter and drive (and don't forget Phuket is Thailand's biggest island so just to reach the other side is a good 30-40mins). The beach as others mentioned is just OK. Its private which is nice and free kayak and staff very helpful again with free cold water etc but most probably you will enjoy the time by the great swimming pool and enjoy the sea views from there so I wouldn't linger on this too much.

So onto the Food & Beverage. We had daily breakfast included and additionally we ate one dinner and one lunch in the hotel by the pool. The breakfast was good, possibly almost great but just not quite and I can't quite pin down what the missing element is. Its a sort of buffet/ala-carte setup. You have a full choice of cereals/fruits/salad/pastries even with honey straight from the honeycomb and serano ham straight off the bone etc. Then for the hot food you order directly from the menu. All manner of egg dishes and also some noodle soups. I tried the Udon and it was pretty good - not the best ever but certainly enjoyable. Everything was beautifully presented and generous. I suspect you can order again and again but we were already so full. Tea and coffee/juices were of a high quality. The homemade pastries were a nice touch but in I was not actually that blown away with the quality - good but not great.

Regrettably the rest of the food was a bit of a let down. We ate a meal at the restaurant (not the grill restaurant) on the first night and took some thai and western food. It was ok but I have to say my tom-yum soup was really quite flat (5/10 maybe) and the same for my partners pasta - ok but not great. We then ate a meal by the pool thai/western. Nicely presented but somehow not too much substance. Bear in mind the prices are fairly high in the hotel which I guess is to be expected and I would say if it was perhaps just 20% cheaper it would encourage you to stay in the hotel more. Also one of my major irritations in hotels, specifically in asia, the prices are not inclusive of tax&service charge. I know this is clearly stated but it always seems an unnecessary move. I think its more fair just to explain a total price from the outset. It would also be nice if the hotel tipping policy was explained - if I knew that service charge was distributed fairly to staff then I would not need to tip unless I felt someone had gone above and beyond but this was not clear.

We were planning to eat a meal in the Grill restaurant which a lot of people seem to have been raving about, but after two other slightly flat meals I simply decided I didn't want to take a chance on what would have been a fairly expensive dinner - I would estimate with wine etc around 5-6000baht for a couple so I cannot offer any review for this.

As others have mentioned perhaps the only thing lacking is a decent bar. There is a kind of a bar on top of the grill restaurant which I think if they expanded the concept could be great but as mentioned by some others the resort can feel a bit devoid of evening activity. Drinks were also slightly over priced.

Last but not least I have to get onto the Staff. In a word - fantastic. This for me is what really made the place. It was personalised without being over the top and any requests were dealt with efficiently and politely. People were friendly without it feeling forced and there were lots of staff so you were never left waiting. As some people have mentioned some staff in the restaurant are very lacking language wise (not the main waiters but the clearing staff). I was a bit surprised by this, their attitude was good, but language was quite poor and I have stayed in probably well over 50 hotels in Thailand so I was surprised to see this in such a premium resort.

The only perhaps unusual element was I didn't come into contact with a single manager throughout my entire stay. There were no problems and nothing went wrong so it didn't really matter but I felt that was a little strange.

Overall this is a lovely resort and the quality of the development, the quiet location and great staff make this a wonderful place for a holiday although probably no more than a week. If you are looking for a typical tourist spot, its not for you, if you need somewhere to completely unwind and relax then its the place just bear in mind the location is quite far from the main resorts of Phuket.

I would return but I feel their "introductory" pricing is actually about right. If rates shot up significantly I might think again.

A few minor issues to be fixed namely email communications, improving the beds, a few staff language issues and some adjustment to menu pricing and it will be perfect

10  Thank Feedbackpro2018
RegentPhuket, Manager at Amatara Wellness Resort, responded to this reviewResponded May 19, 2013

Dear Mr Gregory ,

Greetings from Regent Phuket Cape Panwa.
We would like to thank you for taking time to share with us this comprehensive reviews, which is very much appreciated.
Yes, Regent Hotels & Resorts has no longer managed by Four Seasons Hotels any more. And it is great that our website has this information for our Regent loyalty guests. Regent’s 2010 acquisition by FIH Regent Group – the largest and most profitable hotel company listed on the Taiwan Stock Exchange and the owner and operator of The Grand Formosa Regent Taipei -sees a return to Asian ownership and the opening of another ambitious chapter in the brand’s story. With signature restaurants and spas, sophisticated residential developments and state-of-the art retail spaces, FIHC’s new portfolio of unique bespoke properties will - as ever -stay true to the original Regent vision of creating the world’s best luxury hotel brand.
Thank you for your appreciation to our team members. It is great to know that you were well taken care of. Our resort is designed in a contemporary style with elegant but simple elements to provide the most comfortable environment for our guests. The minibar and laundry services, iPad and free wi-fi are benefits included in all room types. Please rest assured that they will always be there for our guests.
We apologize the inconvenience caused to you regarding the email issue. We are looking into this issue to see what went wrong.
We are sad to hear that you had a very little spa experience. And indeed, our spa location is great, located on top of the hill where guests can enjoy the ocean view. Comparing our spa treatment prices with the same level of services and facilities in the surrounding hotels, you will find that our treatment prices are very competitive.
The duvet is actually made of raw silk to ensure non –allergic reactions and especially chosen for our tropical climate to create a “ cooling sensation. We are sorry to learn that you were not satisfied with our bed facilities. Guests are welcome at anytime to talk with our team so that they can help making your stay as comfortable as possible and add additional topper for the bed softness.
Glad that you made the use of our complimentary wellness activities and services provided. A lot of our guests were delighted to join the daily yoga ,Tai chi class, pilates and kinetics that our resort has to offer.
Thank you for your valued comments about The Grill Lounge. Even though, we are sorry that we didn’t have a chance to serve you at The Grill where you will find a splendid dinner. Food and wine are at very competitively priced for a restaurant of this type. We are sorry that any of the senior managers have not had the pleasure of meeting you during your stay.
We try to greet as many guests as possible and hope to have the opportunity to meet you in person during your next visit when we hope to exceed your expectations

Our Introductory Offer is valid until October 31, 2013. We very much looking forward to welcoming you back at our resort.

Regent Phuket Cape Panwa

Reviewed April 27, 2013

5 out of 5 for a first class hotel. Great staff, Great food, Great location, Super rooms. Big credit to the General Manager and Head Chef, clearly they know how to run a quality hotel. Recommended. Also nearby within walking distance, great bar/restaurant called "Beach Bar, and a nice Indian restaurant opposite the Radisson. Nice touch is free wifi throughout the hotel. Thanks for a great vacation. Andrew and Victoria, April 2013.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
RegentPhuket, Manager at Amatara Wellness Resort, responded to this reviewResponded April 29, 2013

Dear Andrew and Victoria,

Thank you very much for staying at Regent Phuket Cape Panwa on your last vacation in Phuket.
We would like to express our sincere appreciation to your very valuable comment. We are pleased to hear that you were satisfied with your overall stay with us and We will certainly share your warm comments with our team members including the General Manager and Chef.
We will continue our best efforts to provide the best service for the guests and look forward to welcoming you again in near future.

Reviewed April 25, 2013

We just spent a week with my wife and our 3 kids. A perfect spot to relax in a wolrd class hotel. A perfect service from front desk to restaurants, swimming pool, beach, etc..the staff is above standard and still keeps the legendary kindness of Thai people. The hotel is calm overlooking to a quiet bay. The food is excellent with a Kiwi chef that serve a very fine and tasty food. The pool villa is heaven. The General Manager is taking care of every detail to make your experience a memorable one!
The spa is beautiful and the gym has all the latest and greatest machines.Scuba diving activity is convinient, the diving center comes to fetch you at the hotel...
The whole family is in heaven. We will come back for sure!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
RegentPhuket, Manager at Amatara Wellness Resort, responded to this reviewResponded April 30, 2013

Dear Steve65,

Thank you very much for your review shared on TripAdvisor. It is our pleasure to read that you had experienced "A Touch of Paradise" during your stay at Regent Phuket Cape Panwa and our facilities and services has reached your satisfaction.

We appreciate your compliments to our team members and executives and looking forward to welcoming you and family back to our resort soon.

Reviewed April 23, 2013

stayed for three nites here, initially a week before we come we emailed the hotel regarding the pick up from airport, but it bit pricey so we book with khun phuket (+66 898666040), great service with rental car, the driver pick us from airport to regent. Took us 45 minutes from phuket airport to this hotel. We arrive at the hotel, i just blown away..magnificent. We book the pavillion but we were upgraded to suite just infront of the pool, we were so surprise with the lotus flower bouquet they made for us. Just speechless, the room are so stunning, with the limitless view to the lamai beach. amenities top qualities which is l'occitanes, free mini bar, and nice bed.(eventhough i like softer bedsheet preferably. Pool is stunning, we had our lunch there, gym excellent, had the pilates training there, great equipment. Tried the Spa, with signature message, its just wonderful. If it happens that you are here, ask about the library, you will enjoy a stunning view of the island from here. Loving the people there, shalom is great, New in the spa, she is just wonderful, very cheerful and informative. Hands down, book this hotel, no regret!!

Dear Sanday,

It is always a pleasure to read such positive comments from our guests as well as to know that you recommend our resort to other travellers.

Thank you ever so much for highlighting the room facilities, spa services in your review and above all for the rewarding comments made to our team members; rest assured that your praise will be relayed accordingly to all members concerned.

We very much looking forward to have the pleasure to welcome you back in Phuket soon.

Reviewed April 23, 2013

Stayed in February after the very recent opening. Quite some serious teething problems service-wise in the public areas and restaurants, very unusual for Thailand. Spa not functional...That will be sorted out by the professional and attentive management.
Compliments to the GM, F&B manager for trying to ease over our problems with the resort and help us move on...
Pros:
Rooms tasteful and very good, take a pool villa, since suites have an impossibly small balcony..
Food excellent, Chef Justin is a gem...
Cons:
The geo situation is awkward, north east facing, no sunsets, opposite a harbor, next to no public spaces, no bar and animation in the evening.
Major gripe: next to no beach, dirty, murky, inaccessible. Hotel definitely needs a second beach club with boat shuttle there.
Until then: will appeal to asians who like to stay in their villa with the AC on but not to europeans.
As other reviewers stated: " ...si vous n'aimez pas trop la plage...."

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank OKD63
RegentPhuket, Manager at Amatara Wellness Resort, responded to this reviewResponded April 24, 2013

Dear Sir,

Thank you very much for your time taking to review your stay with us. We appreciate your valued comment, especially addressing our Executive and their assistance which we had worked to solve the teething problems mentioned.

We are delighted to read that you had a pleasant stay in our suite and enjoy our services and our great cuisine. We also found that many of our European guests also enjoy staying at our pool villa, spending time at the sun lounge by the outdoor-private pool.

Cape Panwa is one of the most tranquil corner on Phuket Islands, we derive to provide the most privacy and relaxation to our guests. Even though, the resort provides the shuttle service to Phuket Central Festival or Patong Beach daily. Due to the beach condition, as Panwa beach is on the east side of Phuket, in certain times of the year we face the strong wind and high tide which affects the beauty of the beach. Meanwhile we have an ocean-view outdoor pool that you can enjoy.

We look forward to welcoming you back. We are confident that you will find our resort is even more beautiful.

Reviewed April 18, 2013

Where to start?

Firstly, it is clear upon arrival that The Regent has put in a lot of thought and quality into this hotel. The architecture and the finishing of the room interiors is beyond expectation. The infinity edge with a view pool is a hotel highlight.

Service is also top notch with everyone at the hotel eagerly waiting to take your every command. All were very accommodating. We travelled with our 16 month old toddler and at our first dinner there the staff leapt into action to look after her so we could actually enjoy a meal rather than the usual rushed dinner which we have to do sometimes…there is also a kids club that has one of the best views of any kids club that we’ve been to. Another example of great service is we ordered room service directly to the kids club. They set up a table and we ate our lunch there while spending time with our daughter.

All the meals we ate at the hotel were fantastic. Starting the amazing breakfast buffet (loved the iberico ham) and a la cart eggs and other good stuff. Lunch’s were wholesome and fresh and our dinner at the Grill was great.

Did I mention the daily complimentary mini-bars and l'occitane bathroom amenities? Everything is first class with a lot of attention to detail.

The only thing is the beach is quite small but for us it didn’t matter as we enjoyed the pool most days.

We will be back.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank The_Knowledge_Bkk
RegentPhuket, Manager at Amatara Wellness Resort, responded to this reviewResponded April 18, 2013

Dear Sir,

We would like to thank you for providing us with a Trip Advisor review regarding your recent stay at Regent Phuket Cape Panwa. We appreciate your compliments of our facilities, services and team members and pleased to read you experienced such excellent service and enjoy yourself with our room amenities. We recognize that you and your kids enjoy our sea-view Kid's Club.

We hope to welcome you and your family back to our resort soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Cape Panwa
Sri Panwa Phuket Luxury Pool Villa Hotel
Renaissance Phuket Resort & Spa
SALA Phuket Resort & Spa
Pullman Phuket Panwa Beach Resort
The Vijitt Resort Phuket
Pullman Phuket Arcadia Naithon Beach

Been to Amatara Wellness Resort? Share your experiences!