“Sorry seems to be the easiest word”

Crowne Plaza Phuket Panwa Beach
Ranked #6 of 13 Hotels in Cape Panwa
Bedlington, United Kingdom
“Sorry seems to be the easiest word”
Reviewed March 12, 2013

We arrived at the Crowne Plaza Panwa Bay after spending 8 wonderful nights at the Holiday inn Phi Phi. Being a platinum member I used priority points for half the stay and paid for the rest. From day one this was a disaster.
Two days before arriving I arranged via email to be collected by the hotel driver from the ferry at Rassada Pier. All was confirmed and the price agreed. However after paying for an upgrade on the ferry so we could be first off and into our "waiting" transport we were then left sitting on the Pier for an hour and a half as I tried to sort things out with the hotel at international call rate!. We eventually booked a local taxi to the hotel and the first greeting we got was sign this - the bill for the hotel car that didn't turn up.
I tried to complain but the staff did not speak good english so I was left with what would be the standard answer for the rest of our stay "sorry".
It is clear that this hotel lacks management or staff training. Without doubt the staff are friendly and helpful where they can be, but they lack guidence in areas.
The room was clean when we arrived but went down hill after that. The shower did not work so we used the bath tub. This was never cleaned during all our stay the balcony and bedroom floor was also never cleaned. The reponse you get when you complain is 'sorry" and the feeling that you are being a problem so in the end we decided just to put up and see the rest of our stay out.
The head chef is the only management you see he is friendly and wanders around talking to the guests explaining what special events are coming up.
The sea is dirty and if you wander up the "beach" 20 metres past the resort you will see what you could be swimming in.
All in all after spending over 700 nights in the last five years staying in various hotels with the intercontinental hotel group this is the worst one. (this is the first time I have wrote a review on any hotel).

9 Thank Paul R
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Phuket Panwa Beach, responded to this review, March 26, 2013
Dear Paul R,

Thank you so much for your candid review of our hotel. I am sorry we were not able to exceed or at least be at par with your expectation. Rest assured that your comments about the service and the room conditions have been documented and will be forwarded to the appropriate departments for necessary actions. We take the confidence our guests place in us very seriously and work diligently to rectify any unsatisfactory experiences. While we understand that your stay was not 100% satisfactory, we would hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Janice A
Case Manager
IHGCare

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (163)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Edinburgh, Scotland
Reviewed February 25, 2013

Visited Phuket for the first time with my partner and parents. Very pleasantly suprised by the area and the hotel. The rooms, service and ambience are all good. The hotel is much larger than we expected. The food is on the more expensive end of the scale for Thailand but is nice, and the spa was also good value with excellent therapists. The beach is nice, and when the tide is in you can walk very far out as its a shallow beach. When the tide is out it looks odd and messy but its not an issue, you can do crab spotting or relax at the lovely infinity pool.
The coffee shop is great and we chose breakfast there as the staff were so happy to make smoothies for us and accomodate anything we needed. Across the road from the hotel is a small shop, and you can also grab a taxi here if you want to go to the mall (which has good shops and good prices) or if you want to go to Patong. Patong will take around 1 hour to get to, especially at the busy times of day. Its worth a visit and we had a beautiful meal on the beach at a restaurant called Sala Bua in the Impiana hotel (highly recommend it, an absolute delight and beautiful food). Also good for a meal is the hotel across the road and up the hill from the crowne plaza. Nice place with great value food and drinks and a pool table. Overall this hotel was good for a few nights retreat and met our expectations well.

• Stayed January 2013
1 Thank jadesy
DenisMartin_HKT, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Phuket Panwa Beach, responded to this review, May 12, 2014
Dear Jadesy,

Thank you very much for taking the time sharing your experience in our property.

Your comments are very valuable for us and rest assure that they will be share among the entire team of the Phuket Panwa Beachfront Resort.

Looking forward to welcome you soon once again in Phuket,

Kind regards.

Denis Martin
Singapore, null, Singapore
Reviewed February 23, 2013

Just stayed for 3 nights at Crowne Plaza in Phuket and never left the resort. Here's some thoughts on different aspects of the place:

Mosaic
Lovely restaurant which serves the daily breakfast or you can go for lunch or dinner. Serves local Thai cuisine or modern European food. Usually breakfast places are tucked away in 5 star hotels with no views, but this one is right behind the pool on the beach with lovely views and many outdoor tables. Dishes from around US$10 each.

Patio
Lovely Italian restaurant directly on the beach with a great bar too. Even though this is probably a bit more of a fine dining restaurant than Mosaic I thought they were both great quality.

Rooms
Great rooms with free Wifi (in fact the Wifi works all over the hotel, even at the pools, it's fantastic!). Bathrooms were excellently fitted out too with a bath, separate shower and big benchtop. Bed was very comfortable and the room was extremely quiet.

I found the service to be excellent, we had to call for a few things and service was only ever 10-15 mins away, whether it be laundry, room service or other requests.

Location
I usually stay on the west coast of Phuket, which has nicer beaches, and true that Crowne Plaza doesn't have the nicest beach, but the resort overall and it's pools made it still a wonderful stay.

Would definitely recommend if you need 3 days to time out and relax within a resort!

Room Tip: Try to ask for a room facing the beach, as some rooms face directly into the reception area and woul...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
DenisMartin_HKT, Manager at Crowne Plaza Phuket Panwa Beach, responded to this review, October 30, 2015
Dear Jacqueline Y,

Thank you very much for taking the time reviweing your stay in our resort.

We are looking forward to welcome you soon back to our property!

The Management
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed February 22, 2013

We were there 5 nights and we enjoy our stay. We had a Beach front room, very large, with an amazing balcony! The lobby, restaurants and the 2 pools are nice too... We had a good services from front desk, Bar & restaurants and employees on the beach for towels and activities also! I have no negative comments about this hotel. From the comments i saw before, i think they made a big improvement since they openned.

2 Thank Thaiger1
Dear Pierre D,

thank you very much for sharing your experience in our property with us and others.

we are glad to read that you have had a very enjoyable time with us and we are looking forward to welcome you soon back again in the not too distant future.

The Management
Surrey, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 21, 2013

Having read some reviews of this hotel, I wasn't expecting much so maybe that helped - I loved it.

No, it's not a beach resort - if you're requiring a pristine white beach to walk along, you won't find it. Yes, the sea retreats far leaving a mud flat which isn't too pretty but the pools and grounds are still beautiful.

The rooms are spacious and comfortable. We knew to request a room the didn't overlook the lobby (thanks to another reviewer) and ended up with one that overlooked the sea. It had a good size balcony which was perfect for an afternoon drink. We did have a problem with the aircon in the first room, it sounded like there was a helicopter waiting to take off, but they moved us next door so it wasn't too much of an upheaval. The new room smelt bad but it was now 6pm and I didn't want to move again. They came and ran stuff through the drains. I didn't notice the smell when we returned from dinner so I guess that worked. Perhaps the room hadn't been used for a while.

Check-in was slow. The reception desks are in a dark room off the the left as you enter the hotel. They immediately move you to the bar area so you don't really know what's going on. Out of sight, out of mind I guess. But it took around half an hour from arriving to getting into the room which was disappointing. Other than than we didn't have a problem with service but that said, we didn't frequent any of the hotel bars or restaurants (with the exception of breakfast which is of course self-service).

We took the free kayaks out in the morning (you can only take them at high tide) which was fun. There seemed to be a lot of activities arranged during the day but we were only there for one night so didn't look too closely. The pools were beautiful. Comfortable sunbeds too.

There's not much around the hotel that's within walking distance - a couple of little restaurants across the road but that seemed to be it. We had a car so drove slightly further down toward the cape which isn't too far (too far to walk easily though) and there are lots of restaurants there. But taxis seemed plentiful.

I'm assuming this is a new hotel from the other reviews - it certainly looked new - so may not have been very full, hence the upgrade to the sea view room etc. It's a massive place so that would be my only question: As popularity grows, with more people and no beach to speak of the pools may not remain as tranquil and the service may suffer. So...go before it's discovered!

Overall, despite the room issues and slow check-in, I loved this hotel because of the grounds and the views.

Room Tip: As I learned from another reviewer - avoid a room that overlooks the lobby bar and if you can't...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
DenisMartin_HKT, Manager at Crowne Plaza Phuket Panwa Beach, responded to this review, October 31, 2015
Dear cvinsider,

thank you for taking the time writing a review and share your extremely important feed backs.

We are glad to read that you have had a wonderful stay and we look forward to welcome you back soon here in Phuket.

Be well.

The management
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed February 13, 2013

We stayed at the new Crowne Plaza resort in Phuket for one night on our way to Phi Phi island. The property is new and may have still been in soft opening phase.

Location: This hotel is in a pretty remote location with no tourist attraction near by. It is close to Phuket town but across the island from the main beaches like Patong or Karon. It took about 45 minutes to get to from the airport at the midnight hours with little traffic. The hotel sits on a private beach. The strip if sand on the beach is fairly narrow in the morning during high tide but I do not know what low tide looks like.

Room: We were upgraded to an ocean view room. The balcony looks over the pool and then the ocean. The room is designed and furnished with hotel guests in mind and quite comfortable. There are plenty of outlets and all the other necessities as well as free wifi (yay!) The only things that were conspicuously missing were robes. I rely on those robes during beach vacations when I want to hangout in the room but too lazy to dress into regular clothing! Another nice thing about the room was that the mini fridge was left empty so you can use it! (There is a store on site if you want to buy drinks at the hotel.) The room did seem to be on the small side and the decor was minimalistic hotel modern. I actually really wanted to see the regular Panwa room I booked bc it seemed more opulently decorated, but hey, not gonna complain about an upgrade..

Service: Hotel transfer was courteous, check in staff was kind and answered all of our questions regarding traveling to Phi Phi island patiently. The concierge was the sweetest girl who not only took care of booking our transfers to Phi Phi but even went the extra step herself to check about our next hotel and made sure we know what to expect on the other side. She personally saw us off when the transfer came and made us feel most welcomed. The hotel also had shuttle buses to all the tourist attractions for a fee. Check out wasn't as easy. The girl handling it could've used more training. She couldn't find our record at first and didn't give me a receipt for the room until I went and asked for it. She was also a bit impatient. I suppose it could be an isolated incident attributed to the newness if the hotel and its staff.

Breakfast: the hotel has two restaurants that serve breakfast. The check in staff recommended the one at the Patio and that's where we went. It was the smaller of the two and there seemed to be few choices. You can order eggs cooked to order but it's cooked in the kitchen so you can't monitor it. The waiter also didn't speak English very well, so both my husband's and my order were messed up. Everything else at breakfast were also just mediocre. I expected a lot more out of a place like Crowne Plaza and was sorely disappointed. Perhaps things were better at the larger restaurant.

Gym: A bit on the small side but houses brand new Life Fitness equipments, even the dumbbells! Very clean and comfortable

Overall: A nice, new hotel with nice rooms, good view, and friendly staff. The location is great if you're looking for a quiet and romantic environment. Breakfast can use a lot of improvement!

Dear norahyah,

Thank you for reviewing your experience in our property.

Sincerely.

The management
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed February 13, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for one night in February. We arrived at 5 pm and waited in the reception area for our room to be prepared. This was strange since check in is clearly stated as 2pm on multiple pieces of their literature and website. 15 minutes quickly became 45 and still no room. My wife and I separately went back to the receptionist and asked what was going on. Both times she said they would get us when the room was ready. Sad to say this was a very bad start. Finally, after around and hour the receptionist tells us our room is ready. In the meantime, I had ordered a drink at the bar to kill time and we had just put in an order for a round for my wife and I. When the room was ready we didn't care for the drinks anymore so we told the bartender to cancel. Then the bartender tells the receptionist we had another drink we needed to sign for. Excuse me? We arrive at 5, don't get to our room until 6 and you are asking me to pay for your carefully measured drink??? After telling the receptionist we would not be paying (a gesture she should have offered before making us wait for an hour) she said it was fine. We finally get to our room which was very nice. They upgraded us to what they called a family suite and it had 2 patios that opened up to the pool area. We were famished and since the hostess said the pool bar was open till 7 we went straight there for food and drinks to save what was left of the day. We get to the pool bar and the bartender tells us there is no food, only drinks (and last call is in 15 mins!). Now I am livid. We ask him what we should do and he says to go to the infinity pool bar area. We do just that and guess what. No food also. I have had enough at this point and give the bartender a piece of my mind and my drink order (and my wife's). He says he will see what he can do and asks for our food order. To keep it simple my wife and I say we will get a pizza and share it. My drink makes it fine but my wife's vodka soda with a splash of sprite shows up with no vodka. We ask the bartender and he confirms there is no vodka. We re-explain the first part of our drink and he brings it back finally with vodka. About five minutes after the drinks are finally in order the bartender says they don't have pizza right now. I ask him what they do have since we just can't seem to get anything right at this place and he says everything else. We order a burger and fries to share. The meal finally comes out about 30 minutes later and we finally get to eat!

After eating we took a dip in the infinity pool overlooking the ocean (it was low tide so not a very nice view but that is not the hotels fault). The receptionist comes out and apologizes once again about the room not being ready. She agrees there is no excuse and invites us to a complimentary dinner buffet. We say thank you and make a reservation for a couple of hours later. This was above gesture that she should have made when we were annoyed with the late checkin and offered to comp our drinks while we waited an hour. Nonetheless, we were appreciative and had dinner at the buffet. Dinner was ok, nothing I would have paid for but it was nice enough given the price we paid. After once again messing up a drink order (came back to tell us the didn't have the flavor of vodka my wife ordered about 20 mins after our order!) we concluded dinner and left the hotel as early as we could the next day.

This was not a cheap hotel for our stay ($200 USD /nt) and we expected much more from a property with so much potential. Overall a miserable experience for us but we may be an outlier.

• Stayed February 2013
3 Thank dput
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Phuket Panwa Beach, responded to this review, February 26, 2013
Dear dput,

Mandarava Resort and Spa
Mandarava Resort and Spa
#2 of 8 in Karon Beach
The Westin Siray Bay Resort & Spa Phuket

Been to Crowne Plaza Phuket Panwa Beach? Share your experiences!