“Best Resort in Cape Panwa”

Pullman Phuket Panwa Beach Resort
Ranked #5 of 13 Hotels in Cape Panwa
Reviewed November 23, 2011

My family of 4 (2 adults n 2 young kids) stayed here for 7 nights. Hopefully I m able to summarize my review succinctly:

This place has lots going for it. It's a sprawling resort with beautifully manicured grounds. It is located within walking distance to several food outlets/restaurants... It has a beautiful beach n 3 gorgeous pools...it has friendly staff who always greet you when they see you...and the room that I stayed in (Radisson Suite) was very spacious, and offered a breathtaking unblocked view of the beach and sea.

To provide an objective review (though I must say I am rather partial towards this resort), here are some comments pertaining to some of the areas which I hope the management & staff can be proud of, as well as take note of, for improvement:

A) ROOM
- I stayed at Radisson one bedroom suite 6405. The room was very clean and made up each day. Can't find fault with housekeeping. Before I booked I couldn't understand what "one bedroom" referred to on its website. Now I know it probably refers to 1 living/bedroom, 1 huge walk-in wardrobe+shower+ bathroom area (partitioned from bedroom via a wooden sliding door), and a huge balcony where you can sit n relax on the recliners n enjoy the wonderful sea breeze.

- Unfortunately, the aircon in room 6405 was way too cold. Not sure if thermostat was faulty, but on the first night, I left the aircon at 28 deg celcius, and fan speed at the lowest, and it was still very cold. Thank God I brought a thin cardigan along to keep me warmer at night. The next day the maintenance guy came to fix the aircon but there was no improvement. In fact the aircon broke down shortly after that, n had to be fixed again. After the aircon was fixed I didn't dare ask maintenance to solve the thermostat problem in case it broke down again. So I lived with the very cold temperature in my room daily.
- There was no electric plug in the bathroom area for a hair dryer. So I was told by the staff to connect it to the study table switches. But there was no mirror there. Hotel
should look into installing a mirror at work desk or a plug I'm toilet area.

B) LOCATION
Hotel is in Cape Panwa which is away from the hustle n bustle of the busy beaches like Patong. So if u stay here u must b mentally prepared that u are abt 45mins from Patong or 20mins from Phuket town. We knew we wanted a tranquil beachside location so it was good for us
- there are restaurants near the hotel. Opposite there is Treetops Restaurant. If u walk out of Radisson n u turn left n walk leisurely abt 8 mins u will reach a promenade area where there are some more restaurants like Kaeng Lay n Sawasdee. We recommend Sawasdee for its local dishes n good service. We ate at the Azur at Radisson one night n the seafood platter was fresh n delicious. Can try if u have the budget for a meal at a romantic classy restaurant.
- we also tried dinner one night at The Chalet Cuisine near Makham Bay. It's the restaurant of a boutique hotel abt 5 mins drive away. Food was great. Free pick-up by hotel if u call
In advance.

C) SERVICE
Generally the service by the hotel was prompt n friendly. What really impressed me though was when I asked for a late check-out for my suite till 6pm and though my suite wasn't available, they actually shifted me to a new room (at no charge) so that my kids could nap before the 10pm flight. And they gave me a room on the same floor so it made the shifting of luggages easier. That was 6 star service! Excellent "100% Satisfaction" Policy

D) BEACH & FACILITIES
- Excellent Kids Club. Well organized, clean n capable staff who can do art n craft with yr kids.
- Beach is perfect for young kids cos the waters r calm n shallow. And when it's low tide u can walk out for miles to search for hermit crabs, clams n all. V nice.
- 3 adult pools of which 2 are beachside. Very nice n suitable for kids. It never seems over crowded. There is an additional small kids pool outside the Kids Club.

Overall, I would highly recommend this place if u have young kids. Even couples would enjoy this place because it is very romantic. We saw a lot of couples on honeymoon there. We checked out Cape Panwa hotel n by comparison, the Radisson is WAY better in that it is more modern, convenient and provides better service. So if u r looking to stay in Cape Panwa area, choose the Radisson!

• Stayed: November 2011
6  Thank AdorableKitten
Write a ReviewReviews (1,905)

Reviewed November 19, 2011

We only stayed here for one night, flew in late and on our way to Koh Phi Phi the next day but we loved it. The rooms are huge and the bathtub was awesome! The pool area is just gorgeous. When we got back we stayed at Kata beach and I think this location would be nice for family trips but if you want to go out etc might be better to be a bit more central. Def a 5 star property!

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Eve720
Reviewed November 18, 2011

Really really happy that we chose this hotel for Phuket. We had a junior suite and had a pool + ocean view which was amazing. The room was huge and the balcony was great to relax in the evening. We ended up having dinner on the balcony with the little one sleeping early every day. Everything was perfect. It is a little out of the way and we had hired a car so had no issues with the location. It is 2 kilometers away from the aquarium and that area is very nice too. Absolutely no issues with our stay. Will recommend to hire a car to get around at your own choice instead of relying on the hotel shuttle. We went to Patong one afternoon and were really happy that we chose not to stay there in the crowd. You cannot go wrong with this hotel.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank AM
Reviewed November 15, 2011

Well we have just got back from a wonderful 12 night stay at this hotel and i must say it was Amazing! i think the rating overall includes our experiences that we had while at the hotel and in Phuket as the whole package was just great.

In this review i will try to cover aspects such as food/room/pools/local area etc :).

Arrival
We did have a little hiccup on the arrival ( more to do with our travel company) however when we arrived to the hotel we were greeted immediately by someone from the front desk who went to check us in. They sat us down in the lobby area and gave us a drink and sorted the whole checking in out for us and scanned our passports, just a note you do have to supply a card (credit or debit) where they can reserve 2000 thbt per day (they do not charge you this).

After this they then took us to our rooms and our bags followed more or less straight after which was great. My wife and I were there on a honeymoon and we were advised and were expecting a honeymoon selection to be in the room waiting however we did have to prompt the hotel to receive this later in our stay.

Room
Our room was a deluxe sea view room and we were in block 6 floor 3, the room was wonderful! the bed was huge, aircon worked perfectly, there was plenty of space to hang clothes, there was a safe supplied where you could enter your own code which was great.

Showers were perfect and the bathroom area was well stocked, also the sea view was as expected and it was nice to just sit out on the balcony.

There was a mini bar in the room also however you would be better off visiting the mini mart over the road.
2 bottles of water are provided daily which you can always store if you like in the fridge.

We only stayed on a bed and breakfast basis - Breakfast:
There was a great selection of food on offer for breakfast from cereal, cooked breakfast, fresh eggs, fresh breads, danish selections and a wonderful fresh fruit selection. Certainly something available for everyone at breakfast.

Lunch -
There was lunch on offer however we only had lunch once during our entire visit at the hotel, prices are quite a lot more and you can get better value across the road at the local restaurant however the quality is good. Note they will always charge a 10% service charge on all transactions! as well as tax.

Dinner -
Again we only ate dinner at the hotel once during our visit, the menu seemed to be great but certainly over priced, there were meal options available through the week however again these ranged from 750thbt per person approx £15 per person.

Drinks
These we found were very over priced, there is a mini mart across the road where you can buy soft drinks and beer at a fraction of the price you are charged at the hotel (very handy) but note i believe you are not allowed to take them into the pool area (did not try this myself).

Happy hour! everyone loves this but just be careful as they change it quite often so be sure to check the TV and tables to find out when happy hour is and where it is, also what is included! (certainly i would recommend the Mojitos during happy hour)

Eating out
I recommend doing this for all of your meals where possible! if you think you would not be a fan of Thai food then i would seriously consider. Price/quality of the food was amazing at all of the local restaurants that we visited - i would recommend not being scared to venture out.

Opposite the hotel is tree tops, food here was great and a fraction of the price the hotel charges. If you take a right out of the hotel and a 5 minute walk on the right there is another fantastic restaurant down a drive way (can not remember the name) serving fresh fish and other Thai dishes.

A 7 minute walk when turning left out of the hotel takes you down to the area where the Aquarium is located, there are many restaurants located here and again fantastic food and prices. Again i would recommend not getting foods such as Burgers etc (unless at the hotel) i believe they are not that used to cooking them and some people did report having bad dishes when ordering food items like this, you will be fine with the Rice/Chicken/Pork/Fish etc dishes.

Also do not be afraid to ask around for recommendations, one restaurant we visited with other couples was the Beach Bar - this is a 5 minute drive away from the hotel and the restaurant owner will pick you up from the hotel and take you to the restaurant and bring you back at no extra cost! and the food was equally as good and the drinks even cheaper (good hint).

Pool area

The pools were amazing! they main pool where the bar is situated is huge and there are plenty of sun beds around to use, there are rules to the pool but it seemed they were not strictly enforced i.e. no ball games in the pool this often happened (was no trouble just advising), however i believe they may enforce the no food/drink purchased outside the resort can be consumed although we never put this to the test.

One thing to note most people we spoke with noticed that their finger nails were turning green from the water also people with blonde hair were also suffering (Head and shoulders i believe should fix this as does Tomato Ketchup for the hair situation).

We didnt find that you had to get to the pool too early to get beds but what ever takes your fancy :).

Location
The location is great for couples and people looking for a hotel outside of the busy areas of Phuket, if you are looking for partying and quick access to the towns then this may not be the place for you however if you are looking for something out of the way but within reach of the towns via a taxi ride then it is certainly the location, with a great beach and pools and plenty to do locally food wise it is certainly a great choice.

Taxi’s
If you are looking to get one just note that the hotel will charge you a little more, there are plenty of taxi stands outside the hotel or down by the aquarium area where you can barter and get a good price. (I would recommend trying to go with more people to reduce the cost)

Final note
I have given this an overall Very Good for a couple of reasons, firstly there was no area outside of your room that was air conditioned, now i know this is not a deciding factor on chosing a location however it is nice sometimes to sit outside the room and not get too hot as it often did. Also the fact that we had to ask for the honeymoon package we should have received this was another thing that was a slight niggle. Food prices and drink prices and the fact that Happy Hour kept changing was also the final thing which made me reduce the overall score, food and drinks were priced as you would expect however it did not overally affect us as we ate out every night.
If you are looking to do excursions I would recommend shopping around outside of the hotel, you will find that you may save anything in the range of 1000+ depending on the excursion. (this is about the hotel so I will not go into too much detail on excursions.) One thing I would recommend to everyone however is the night market at the weekends every sat/sun.

I hope you find this useful!

Room Tip: Seaview rooms are great, standard rooms are also great (beds in the suites are smaller than standard...
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
4  Thank jebelious
Reviewed November 5, 2011

My Hubby & I recently enjoyed an 8 night holiday here at the Radisson in Panwa -
It was exactly what we needed, just a little bit of Heaven !

We initially thought we would try to upgrade when we arrived - but it turned out to be a bit beyond our budget, but when we actually checked in - we were just thrilled with our room !
It was the block furthest from the beach, however, we were really lucky in that we had a ground floor room which opened out onto one of the pools. So, we felt like it was our own private pool anyway. We also could see the Ocean from our room.

The rooms were just divine, comfortable bed, big bathrooms, big plasma TV with plenty of channels, and the cleanliness & promptness of the cleaning staff was without fault.

We never actually ate the resort, so couldn't comment on this - however we did enjoy happy hour a few times & really enjoyed the atmosphere.

Breakfast was great with an impressive selection.

The staff we found were lovely with the typical Thai hospitality we have come to love, and makes us want to return again & again.

While the resort itself is out of the way from the major tourist sites, this suited us perfectly as we just wanted to mainly relax.

The Beach we found to be lovely, though the water stretches out for miles when it's low tide.

We made a lot of use of the local restaurants which are a lot cheaper than some of the other places we've stayed in Thailand, the food being terrific & the service wonderful.
Do check out the local Aquarium as well which is fascinating & the best 100 Baht ($3 Australian ! ) that you could possibly spend !

If you need a massage, we made use of the Tree tops restaurant across the road. The food is pretty good here too & the laundry service is to be commended too.

We also made use of the taxi service of the chemist across the road - ask for Ali, he looked after us beautifully & took us on a couple of trips & waited patiently for hours !
We went to Old Phuket town markets - which only operate of a weekend nightime - well worth a visit for some great bargains ! And also bout of local Thai boxing - neither of us quite knowing what to expect, but staying the whole 4 hours & being completely enthralled with this art form !

I believe that the Hotel was at capacity when we stayed there - however, we never felt as though this was the case - the place is so well spread out.
The pool next to our room was huge & I don't think there was ever more than about 8 people there at any one time.
You could always get a sun bed here, at the beach or at the other infinity pool.

I did make use of the on site Spa too, but only because they had a promotion on.
I can thoroughly recommend the Hot stone massage -
And I have to say the decor was possibly the most pristine I have ever encountered !
If you can afford it, try to treat yourself.

We also appreciated that we were given a late check out as we didn't leave the resort till 5 in the afternoon, & I know the staff went out of their way to accomodate this !

If I could comment on anything that could possibly be improved upon, & this is honestly being really picky - but, the towels in the bathroom weren't the sort of towels you'd expect from a 5 star resort - & a few times at breakfast - also when I went to the Spa, Richard Clayderman was playing - luckily at the Spa you can choose your own music, so I asked for this to be changed, which was done immediately ! And other times at breakfast the music was quite varied -
I know this may sound like a strange comment to make, & obviously very subjective, but I'm a Professional musician & cannot stand his music !

Anyway, I almost hesitate to rave about how gorgeous this place is, as I would like to keep it my own secret !
I hope the Panwa doesn't become too developed, as it is still truly a little piece of Heaven.
We absolutely loved it & can't wait to return.

Congratulations to the Manager -
you have a lot to be proud of

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
6  Thank MissBev007
Reviewed November 1, 2011

i loved the resort the first time i was here, so decided to revisit. it has not changed much from the last time i was there. upside: the room i had, deluxe seaview is really nice, king size bed, 4 pillows and bathroom with separate shower and bath tub. love that there were so many cable channels. love the pool which is super nice. infact i spent my entire stay at the pool, just basking in the sun, with only the afternoon downpour spoilng my mood. love the private beach too... you could sun in peace. breakfast at aqua was nice.. the scenary is beautiful, it's really relaxing to watch the day break. breakfast is served from 6am. the quality of the breakfast was good. there is also free shuttle service to the central mall. downside: lunch at aqua and it was disappointing. the quality of food was below expectation. the pizza combo lunch at the edge (pool side) the next day was equally disappointing. It's not what i recall .. it was better the previous time.perhaps they have a new chef ? i went over to the massage place across the road, next to a little cafe, for my daily massages. it's new and clean. can't say it was the best i've had, but best of the three places there. the cafe is also new and is a nice place to just have a cuppa and piece of cake and read. locationwise, the resort is miles away from everything. so if you want to just chill and don't the quiet, this is the place for you. i will stay again, but only during the low season where there are much less people.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled solo
2  Thank renee6764
Reviewed November 1, 2011

My wife, myself and our little girl of 4 were looking for a chill out place to get away and this was paradise. Much more remote than other parts of Phuket, this is the place to be to get away. The gorgeous (infinity) pools are great. Beach as per other reviews is mostly for walks rather than sunning/swimming. Range of food are very good - even after 7 days of it. The breakfast service can be more organised but staff and friendly and generally attentive. Rooms are great too and so is house cleaning.

Being a bit more remote, you're away from the commercial hustle and bustle. So factor in THB300-400 (one way) taxi cost to most places eg. zoo, central shopping mall, phuket town, nearby town/villages. But for a return cost, you pretty much get your own taxi/tour guide. Cost in Phuket is nearly double Bangkok so even the taxi don't travel unnecessarily. They will wait whilst you shop/eat/roam and then take you back. They're always happy to show you around if you're keen.

Tips:
- Use the free hotel shutter bus.
- Go to Old Phuket Town..lovely Sino-European architectures, shopping and chill out cafes.
- Phuket has a large Chinese and Muslim population - try their food! especially the famous Hokkien Noodles in Phuket Town.
- Must try coconut cake and great coffee at The Panwa Guest House cafe - opposite hotel, to the left. Great place to chill.
- Go across the road for massage - we used the newer one behind the The Panwa cafe will great results.
- The Tree Hill restaurant is good for casual lunch / dinner. No fine dinning. Price very reasonable.
- Use PhuketShulttle.com for transfer prior to landing. Use taxi rank just outside hotel rather than the hotel's service - which has a large premium.
- Use the kid's playroom services. Nice!

Room Tip: The seaview rooms are lovely.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
Sri Panwa Phuket Luxury Pool Villa Hotel
5 mi away
The Vijitt Resort Phuket
Crowne Plaza Phuket Panwa Beach

Been to Pullman Phuket Panwa Beach Resort? Share your experiences!