“An instant escape to a secluded island resort”

The Naka Island, A Luxury Collection Resort & Spa Phuket
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Ko Nakha Yai
Reviewed August 23, 2013

Thought about many times visiting resorts in those islands off the East Phuket, after quite many visits at my favourite resorts from Natai beach to Khao Lak beach. My hesitation is on a long boat ride over 30 minutes, especially during the summer monsoon season. As I noticed Naka island is just 5 minute boat ride away from Grand Marina Ao Po, I decided to give it a try. Also, I am glad that it's now under the management of Starwood's Luxury Collection. First of all, all the staff in the resort are very friendly and spontaneously helpful. My Grill restaurant is worth trying. Tonsai is also good though in one of the Thai set dinner I tried is too salty (quite contrast to the other dinner and lunches I had). Overall, my stay is very pleasant.

Some tips - try to put all your belongings in the drawers or being covered. Found out quite many bugs' waste dropped from the rooftop, but that's very natural as the resort's original design is too raw with the dried plant being made for the rooftop. Also, found out quite some caterpillars and centipedes. Got a bite by a baby centipede but fortunately I brought my Zambuk (a local Thai ointment) to help ease the swelling. So please bring some medical stuff and most importantly insect repellent. These are what I usually bring along with me to tropical resorts.

Room Tip: try the villas near the end of the resort, close to Z Bar.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank whispalms
Erich_FRIEDL, General Manager at The Naka Island, A Luxury Collection Resort & Spa Phuket, responded to this reviewResponded August 28, 2013

Dear whispalms,

Thanks very much for posting your review following your stay with us at The Naka Island, A Luxury Collection Resort & Spa, Phuket.

It is nice to hear that you decided to ‘give it a go’ and stay at The Naka Island, knowing that the speedboat trip is a very short one (5 minutes) and that the island is very close and handy to the Phuket mainland.

Your compliments of our resort Ambassadors being friendly and helpful are much appreciated, as are your kind comments regarding your My Grill dining experience and your overall stay at our resort being a pleasant one.

I hope you are able to visit us again in the near future for another indigenous Naka Island experience.

Erich Friedl

There are newer reviews for The Naka Island, A Luxury Collection Resort & Spa Phuket

Reviewed August 23, 2013

We live in Bangkok and a 3-day get away at The Naka Island was exactly what we needed. Being on our own island, we felt more than a million miles away from the hustle and bustle of Bangkok.

Surprisingly the resort is quite close to the airport (20 mins and a 5 minute speedboat and you're there) quicker than the travel to Patong beach! (which is not our type of getaway)

The villas are excellent sized, own pool, very private, and a great big bed. We love the style of the resort... you feel like you are in tropical Thailand rather than a concrete resort which could be anywhere.

For food there were 3 options, our favorite was My Grill, with seafood and steak (a must-try signature dish)
Though I also recommend the sunset at Z Bar is not to be missed, with delicious Asian-style tapas to compliment the sunset cocktails. (which are also delicious)

We also did a longtail boat fishing tour, you can just book this with the helpful hotel staff once you get there. It was good to get out on the water and in a more traditional boat, even caught some decent fish! (gifted to the skipper for his 'Tom Yum Soup!)
Our last highlight was the spa, this is a must do at The Naka... the surrounding area of the spa is impressive, my favorite was the ice room, good to sit in there on a hot day. (when a little bit sun-kissed)

For us, being able to escape and unwind, this was the perfect resort, we will definitely be back again soon.

Room Tip: If you have the budget there is a 1 only rock-star villa on the end of the Island (with private kitc...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Brendon C
Erich_FRIEDL, General Manager at The Naka Island, A Luxury Collection Resort & Spa Phuket, responded to this reviewResponded August 26, 2013

Dear Brendan C,

Thank you for choosing the peacefulness and serenity of The Naka Island, A Luxury Collection Resort & Spa, Phuket, for your recent 3 day getaway from the hustle and bustle of Bangkok.
Our resort certainly is the perfect tropical island destination to unwind and be pampered and as you mentioned, it is situated so close and convenient to the Phuket International Airport and just a quick 5 minute boat ride to the Phuket mainland.

I am thrilled that you experienced and were so impressed by so many of The Naka Island’s features, including your large and private SeaView Pool Villa, the treatments and facilities at Spa Naka, your steak and seafood dining experiences at My Grill restaurant and also the spectacular evening sunset views from Z-Bar while enjoying cocktails and endless Asian inspired Tappas. Venturing out and having a great day on the water in a long tail boat is just one of our popular activities and a great way to experience the local islands.

I thank you once more for recommending our resort to other Trip Advisor readers and would love the opportunity to welcome you back again in the near future for another enriching Naka Island getaway.

Reviewed August 18, 2013

After flying into Phuket, we were greeted warmly by the hotel representative at the airport. He brought us to our van and our group took off for the island. I was very happy to see that the transfer from the marina to the resort would take place on a very nice, clean and modern speed boat. The total time to get from one dock to the other was less than 10 minutes. When we arrived on the island we were greeted again by more hotel staff and managers. Checking in was a breeze and the hotel staff had the answers to any questions we had. The room was perfect. The bed was super comfortable, the steam room/shower was relaxing and just what I needed after traveling for two weeks through SE Asia. The restaurants were also very good, but it seemed like the pricing for the food was pretty high for Thailand. Considering you are isolated from any off property restaurants or stores, there was no other option. The food at breakfast was delicious, their pastry chef is fantastic. Also the seafood/steak restaurant was spot on with every dish.
We managed to Kayak about half way around the island to another beach run by the small village the hotel shared the island with. We were able to beach our kayaks and order drinks on the beach there, which was a nice soft sandy beach. If you are going to head out to the beach on the other side of the island, make sure to bring some cash because the bar here is not run by the hotel and everything is cash.
I want to thank Swuannee(not sure about the spelling), the Hotel Manager, for taking such good care of our group. I hope to get the opportunity to visit here again soon.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Marketmiami1
Erich_FRIEDL, General Manager at The Naka Island, A Luxury Collection Resort & Spa Phuket, responded to this reviewResponded August 22, 2013

Dear Marketmiami1,

I am delighted to read your recent review following your stay with us at The Naka Island Resort & Spa, Phuket.

Thank you for your 5 Star rating and for all of your compliments regarding our speedboat, smooth check-in, perfect room, comfortable bed, your dining experiences and to also hear that you had the opportunity to explore some of the island by kayak.

Your kind words will be passed on to our Hotel Manager Khun Sawanee and our Bakery Chef Khun Na and will be greatly appreciated.

I also hope that you have another opportunity to visit The Naka Island once more for another unforgettable Luxury Collection experience.

Reviewed August 15, 2013

I spent there 3 nights with my family. We overall had a great time there. Few minor points to be improved on food, as we have to dine out in the resort, but only 2 main restaurants there, and one of them is only opening for dinner. Resort ambience, facilities, and villas are perfect. But my great disappointment is on the Duty Manager named Lena, who greeted us upon arrival. She was the one who did a check in for me at villa. There was a discrepency on my booking that I didn't choose to pay 1,500 baht room upgrade on my first night (as I scheduled to check in there late around 7 pm), but my the other 2 nights were correctly booked at pool villa type. She checked me in at pool villa, and billed me extra charge for villa upgrade. I said I haven't confirmed for the upgrade, you may check me in at a non pool villa for the first night. She said all of her non pool villas are occupied. She said but my agent booked a pool villa for the first night. And she asked me for my agent number. I said I didn't have the number with me, it is in my big luggage. She insisted that I have to give her the number NOW (at 7 pm something and I hadn't had a dinner yet!) What a pleasant checking in I've experienced in my life! I had to find her the number by throwing everything in my luggage. While I was looking for what she wants, she just blamed my agent out lound that it was my agent's fault, I didn't wanna find out whose fault is it, but the problem solved proofessioanlly and quick. I consider it was an inappropriate manner for The Luxury Collection's staff. After that she didn't mention me anything about the resort. On my checking out, I met her again, I told her that food is good here, but we should have more restaurant choice, as I stayed her for 3 nights. She said some guests take a boat to the other local restaurant, then I was surprised that why she never informed on it at my arrival. Thanks for her info at my last minute at the resort. Not to mention many of her others inappropriate manners that make the resort not score the full point.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank snoopydo11
Erich_FRIEDL, General Manager at The Naka Island, A Luxury Collection Resort & Spa Phuket, responded to this reviewResponded August 19, 2013

Dear Snoopydo 11,

Thank you for choosing to stay at The Naka Island, A Luxury Collection Resort & Spa, Phuket and for your review on Trip Advisor with the title including “Great resort, good service”.
I was pleased to hear that you had a great time during your 3 nights stay with us enjoyed your Villa the facilities we have here at the resort.
Please accept my sincere apologies for your frustrations in regards to the discrepancy you experienced during check-in and I can assure you that I will definately follow this up with my team personally. Regardless of this situation occurring at the beginning of your stay, I am grateful that you have recommended our resort to other travelers.
Please contact me directly at erich.friedl@luxurycollection.com to make any future bookings at The Naka Island, so that I can personally take care of your arrangements and any requests that you may have to ensure you the most memorable Luxury Collection experience possible.

Reviewed August 11, 2013

My now husband and I spent three nights at Naka in Sept 2012. Loved loved loved it. This was our first (and now not last) experience with having our own pool and sala...and it was unforgettable. The room was very comfortable, "rustically luxurious" if you will. Great pre-preprogrammed iPod with Bose speaker in room. Gorgeous views, Very private. One of the managers, who gave us her card, that we sadly lost, was particularly hospitable. I believe it started with an S... Thank you for your service!! Only drawbacks are that wine is very $$$ (as in all of Thailand) and there isn't really a beach to speak of. That said, I highly recommend this property. Very romantic and also a great value!!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Erich_FRIEDL, General Manager at The Naka Island, A Luxury Collection Resort & Spa Phuket, responded to this reviewResponded August 14, 2013

Dear NicoleHale,

I had great pleasure in reading your 5 Star Trip Advisor review further to your recent vacation at The Naka Island.

Our resort is definitely the perfect romantic getaway location and hearing how much you and your husband enjoyed your private pool Villa with its many features, the gorgeous resort views and that you highly recommend our property, is certainly very gratifying.

Your review will be shared with our entire team and I thank you on behalf of Khun Sawanee, our Hotel Manager, who will be very appreciative of your kind comments regarding her service and hospitality.

Thank you for choosing to stay at The Naka Island, A Luxury Collection Resort & Spa, Phuket and I hope you will return to stay with us again next time you visit Thailand.

Reviewed August 1, 2013

We had five fantastic nights at naka island and had a fantastic ocean view villa - which was amazing and we loved everything about it. The staff are exceptional - no asking twice for anything . We had some great sessions at the the z bar - both drinks and tapas.- and both restaurants served fantastic food. I definitely would love to return and I wouldn't chane a thing .

• Stayed: July 2013
Erich_FRIEDL, General Manager at The Naka Island, A Luxury Collection Resort & Spa Phuket, responded to this reviewResponded August 7, 2013

Dear tracey1301,

I am delighted to have read your 5 star Trip Advisor review that you kindly posted following your recent stay at our resort.

It was a joy to have you stay with us and hearing that you loved everything about The Naka Island Resort & Spa, Phuket, particularly your Sea View Pool Villa, dining experiences, and our wonderful Ambassadors and their service, makes me very proud indeed.
The Naka Team and I look forward to the next time you visit us for another unforgettable Luxury Collection experience.

Reviewed July 31, 2013

Stayed 2 nights here with my husband, from the moment we were transferred from ao po marina jetty to naka island we were greeted by our guest relation officer that is waiting for us in a buggy and directly transfer us to the villa for a in-villa check in and explain to us the about resort. We stayed at seaview pool villa 49. Nice villa, we have our own pool, in-villa steam room/show, our door jacuzzi (which we did not use because it is stained and yellowish) and also an outdoor rain shower. The villa is facing the sea by a cliff, a very quiet resort that is meant for couples and relaxation. mosquito repellent it is also provided in the room because really there is a lot of mosquitoes, silly us for not accepting the 'turn down' service that is provided by the house keeping we got stung by mosquitoes the first night. Each villa is also provided with 2 bicycles, where you can explore the island but you can also call the 'buggy service' if you prefer not to cycle. And the buggy service is really fast, once you called there are here within a few mins.

Food selection is limited in the restaurant and the breakfast is so - so only, because we are here for only 2 nights it is alright. Can't imagine if we have stay here for a week, we'll probably end up with cup noodles. Also tried their SPA, went for their 5 hour promotion for 10000 thb but was not satisfy with the service. My service was split in to 2 session, the first 3 hours in the morning with facial,oil massage and foot and hand massage. The masseur that did my facial and oil massage was really really BAD..at least the foot and hand massage masseur was not bad but not as great either. After the massage i was serve with a cup of tea and a feedback questionnaire, wrote down my dissatisfaction. That's all, i was left there, they didn't even offer to call for me a buggy to sent me back to my room until i have to ask. My afternoon session is shared with my husband 1 hour of oil massage for him and the balance would be thai massage for me. It was just average, same thing this time after the massage we were served with tea without the survey form and we were left at the waiting area. We don't see anyone at all, we just walked out after that. Also when we enquire about the watsu pool and ice room no one can give us information about it. They should at least show us of they cannot explain. For approximately RM1200, i think the SPA in naka island is not worthy at all.. no skills and service. Seriously, for a 5 * resort they really should buck up their SPA team, because of my SPA experience, this resort is rated average for me only.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear MelissaW10,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on Trip Advisor further to your recent stay at The Naka Island, A Luxury Collection Resort & Spa, Phuket.

It was certainly pleasant to read your positive comments regarding the features of our resort and services that you enjoyed, including your arrival experience, your beautiful Sea View Pool Villa and the great service from our resort Ambassadors.

I am alarmed that your Spa Naka experience did not reach your expectations, as the feedback we so often receive from our guests is overwhelmingly positive in relation to our spa treatments and service. I would like to take this opportunity to apologize for us falling short of delivering the quality of Spa encounter that you were expecting on this occasion and can assure you that your feedback in now being reviewed by our Spa Manager and team to make the necessary adjustments required to ensure that our guests are provided with consistent and memorable Spa Naka experiences.

Please let me know if you have plans to return to Phuket in the future so that I can personally make the necessary arrangements to ensure you the most comfortable Luxury Collection stay.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Ko Nakha Yai
The Surin Phuket
The Surin Phuket
#3 of 36 in Choeng Thale
Anantara Mai Khao Phuket Villas

Been to The Naka Island, A Luxury Collection Resort & Spa Phuket? Share your experiences!