The Naka Island, A Luxury Collection Resort & Spa Phuket
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Ko Nakha Yai
London
“Perfect”
Reviewed December 2, 2012

We stayed here for 5 nights in June, to summarise this is an amazing resort, the villas are perfect, private, spacious and pure luxury. The food at the hotel is delicious and the staff could not do enough to help nothing was a problem, you could not ask for more. It was our 5 days of paradise!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Katie B
Erich_FRIEDL, General Manager at The Naka Island, A Luxury Collection Resort & Spa Phuket, responded to this review, December 3, 2012
Dear Katie B,
Further to your stay with us at The Naka Island, A Luxury Collection Resort & Spa, Phuket, I thank you for your positive comments regarding the quality service from our Ambassadors and delicious food during your stay, plus how much you enjoyed your private, luxurious villa.

Your compliments have been passed on to our Ambassadors and their department managers.

It is pleasing to hear that you enjoyed your ‘5 days in paradise’ and we look forward to you staying with us again in the near future.

Erich Friedl

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (208)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed December 2, 2012

I recently stayed there with my partner, and wanted a place that was exclusive. I've been to Phuket many times, and am sick of the actual main island of Phuket. This place seemed perfect as it was a 5 min speedboat ride away (easy peasy). This exclusivity has a double-edged sword - I need to mention that the resort itself does not have many amenities. It has the standard - pool, gym, spa, bar etc. It also has a Thai muslim fishing village nearby (which btw meant that no pork was served in the resort, which was fine with me), but I gather from other guests that this village was boring. So to combat this boredom, we hired a longtail boat to go island-hopping. This in itself was fun but honestly, for couples who are really looking to party in Phuket, avoid this hotel. For couples who just want to stay within this resort (and not step foot into Phuket island itself), be warned that there isn't much to do within the resort. Hence, if lazing around the pool, being pampered by staff (more on this), sipping cocktails etc. is all you wanna do (there is a multi-purpose hall where you can learn things like Thai kickboxing), then The Naka Island is PERFECT.

Let me just say right off the bat that this hotel would have gotten a 4-star rating. The villas are beautiful and large. The pool is inviting. Expect insects. The resort is big and situated on a hill, so if you don't know how to ride a bicycle which comes with your villa, you have to sit on their buggy to get around. This was not a problem at all, as they were happy to ferry any guest anywhere he/she wanted to go to within the compound. The food is generally good although some hit & miss (in general, I've had better breakfast hotel food, although their crab curry is phenomenal). The beach directly in front of the resort was nothing spectacular, so be warned. So the ambience was great but the food & lack of a view or good beach were major minus points for me. However, what made this become a 5-star review for me was their IMPECCABLE SERVICE.

The staff were very attentive - from their ambassadors (i.e. bellboys, drivers, concierge staff etc.), dining staff, pool boys, housekeeping etc. From the moment we were greeted, I knew rightaway the service standard in this resort was high. All (and I really really mean ALL) their staff that I encountered were friendly, smiley, polite, respectful and genuine (scarily so!). I heard various staff speaking in French, Korean, Mandarin, and the level of English in general is high. We had no problems understanding them, nor they had with us (of course, we spoke simply). The pool boys were fantastic in getting you water, setting up your deck chairs, giving you free homemade ice-cream (yes, that's right... I had flavors like coconut, mango, watermelon etc. Awesome!). The dining staff accommodated my every whim for chilis, more water etc. The concierge staff were ALWAYS friendly and gave us good tips on which islands to visit. We never once received an unhappy scowl. I have to highlight this incident - something was wrong with my food, and I mentioned it to the Restaurant Manager (only after I've finished eating the dish, mind you, as I didn't want to fuss about it). The Restaurant Manager apologized immediately. The chef (not the Head Chef) who prepared that dish came over to personally apologize too, and asked me if he could provide me with another dish. I was really impressed by this, and because of this, I realized that this resort was truly 5-stars in its service. And honestly, isn't it the SERVICE standard of the hotel/resort that is most important? I've stayed in many glamorous/beautiful hotels only for the experience to be marred by abysmal service. I can say truthfully that The Naka Island's service ranks very highly internationally and that one really does feel pampered and treated like a King (or Queen).

So, although the resort is very beautiful, be aware of certain drawbacks (lack of good sea/beach, activities within resort and inconsistent food quality). But really, when you stay at The Naka Island, you are staying for the overall experience of exclusivity & being treated extremely well by all staff of all levels. :-)

Definitely recommend to all my friends.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Beebop W
Dear Beebop W,
Further to your review regarding your recent stay with us at The Naka Island, A Luxury Collection Resort & Spa, Phuket, I would like to thank you on behalf of myself and all of our Ambassadors for your kind compliments regarding the level of our resort service.
We strive as a team to pamper our guests whilst in our care to create memorable experiences exactly the same as what you encountered during your time with us.

Your comment regarding choosing TheNaka Island as being a place to be pampered and relax rather than a place to party is very true as our luxury private villas are the perfect get away for couples, honeymooners and families that would prefer intimacy and privacy and peacefulness, rather than the typical, busy Phuket main island type of resort.

I look forward to your next stay with us the next time you visit Phuket.

Petaling Jaya, Malaysia
Reviewed November 30, 2012

We stayed at the Naka Island Resort for our first wedding anniversary and we both loved the resort. Situated on a little island off the coast of Phuket - it is a great place to retreat from the world at large.

Getting There (and around) - we transited Phuket airport and was whisked away in a luxury car to a marina on the north side of the island. There the resort was a short speedboat ride away to its own pier on the island. It was a great experience but this is also a large shortcoming for the resort - this is not a place to stay if you want to experience Phuket. This is a place to stay within the resort (and not go anywhere else!)

Resort Impressions (and facilities) - we loved the entire resort with its paths and villas. There is a jungle gym (which we did not utilise) and an infinity pool. We were taken via golf cart our villa which had a great view of the sea and its own pool. The only issue I have is the limited food options which are available - basically we had our breakfast, lunch and dinner at basically the same place (and although this is fine, after two days it got a little repetitive).

Villas - Ultimately (and justifiably so) the highlight of the resort was the VILLAS! Our villa was a Seaview Pool Villa and we absolutely loved it. We have a small but significant (organically shaped) pool, our private Sala (where we had lunch - that is room service with a twist alright!) and an outdoor shower, toilet and bath (all contained with the utmost privacy). All in all it was a great experience!

However, the one thing that kept this resort from perfect is the infestation of mosquitoes across the entire resort. This makes going to the toilet in the middle of the night a rather challenging experience. You really do feel like you are the main course with just five minutes outside...

In conclusion - lovely resort... now if we can get rid of them pesky mozzies...

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Erich_FRIEDL, General Manager at The Naka Island, A Luxury Collection Resort & Spa Phuket, responded to this review, December 10, 2012
Dear rabidcow,

Thank you for visiting our resort recently and for taking the time to post a review on Trip Advisor.

I am pleased to hear how much you loved the resort and it being a great place to retreat from the world at large. Our luxury Villas certainly are a highlight of our resort and I thank you so much for all your kind compliments.

It was nice to hear that you enjoyed your lunch in the sala of your villa and further to your comment regarding limited dining options at The Naka Island Resort I would like to mention some of the features and variety from our restaurants and culinary operation.

Our resort has 2 main restaurants and 1 bar, all 3 venues providing variations of food.
My Grill Restaurant (open each night)– focuses on local fresh seafood and premier steaks, the signature dish being a seafood platter of local seafood featuring Phuket lobster, Andaman shrimps, and local white snapper, imported oysters from France while choice of steak features Wagyu Beef from Australia.
Tonsai Restaurant (open each day for breakfast, lunch and dinner) – specializes in traditional Thai and local Southern specialties such as Ped Palo Thod which is marinated duck in a five spice mix, stir fried in a Thai sweet basil sauce.
Tonsai restaurant also has themed Thai and Barbeque buffet nights every week.
ZBar – (open from 3 pm daily) is our resort bar and a selection of Tapas is available every night such as Oriental tuna tartare.
Other dining options like private catered picnics or dinner on the beach can also be arranged.

Also to make our villas more secure from insects and mosquitos, I can inform you that we have converted 40 Villas into enclosed bathrooms and we are planning to convert more in the near future.

I hope you will return to stay with us again soon at The Naka Island, A Luxury Collection Resort & Spa, Phuket.

Sydney Australia
Reviewed November 26, 2012

The resort occupies the whole island just off the north east coast of Phuket. The only access is by boat and once there you are basically isolated from the rest of the world. If you come here to get away from the world in a delightful tropical paradise you will not be disappointed. The rooms are like whole houses, each a self contained villa with it's own pool, spa, indoor and outdoor showers, your own private garden with lounging areas, separate dressing and washing rooms and a gorgeous bedroom, which is air-conditioned. There are three dining options and push bikes or golf buggies to get around the island. You can hire a kyak or go snorkeling and even play a game of petanque. The food is to die for and you can work it off in the excellent gymnasium.

Room Tip: The villas have either sea or jungle views. Take your pick as all are spectacular!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank driverrolf
Erich_FRIEDL, General Manager at The Naka Island, A Luxury Collection Resort & Spa Phuket, responded to this review, December 2, 2012
Dear driverrolf,
Thank you for choosing to stay at The Naka Island, A Luxury Collection Resort & Spa, Phuket and for taking the time to post your review on trip Adviser.
I am delighted that you enjoyed your Private Villa, dining and the resort activities and that you wanted to share your experience with other travelers. Your kind comments have been passed on to our department managers and to our Ambassadors.

The Naka Island Resort team welcomes your return to stay with us again in the near future.

Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia
Reviewed November 25, 2012

My family and I stayed for 1 week at The Naka Island Resort recently. We chose to stay here as we had heard many good things about it from some friends that have stayed there previously. The arrival process was so welcoming, firstly being greeted at the Phuket Airport and then driven in luxury BMW to the marina, then a short speedboat trip to the resort. The hotel manager and concierge greeted us at the resort pier, we were welcomed with a customary strike of a gong and refreshing welcome drink. We were then taken by golf cart straight to our amazing Villa, where we were quickly and easily registered and checked in.
We found the food selection and quality very good, buffet breakfast, Tonsai and My Grill restaurants. We dined in our villa also on a few occassions. Overall the staff were very helpful and as expected, the Thai staff so friendly and happy to help at all times. It was nice to see members of the management team chatting to guests each day during meal times in the restaurants and also the chef, Ian, who was very helpful in answering our questions regarding the local and Thai food.
We loved our villa, beautiful decor and furnishings and so private. It was nice to have our own private pool also because we were so relaxed we did not need to leave our villa. I used the gym each day and was impressed with the equipment, many choices of workout station and it is basically brand new and kept in immaculate condition.
We went to the Spa on 2 occassions and enjoyed being pampered by the massage therapists. The rooms and facilities are definately first class and the staff very professional.
There were many activities available including thai boxing, snorkelling, sailing, windsurfing and kayaking and much more. There were also activities for children and a curry class for those who were interested.
Overall we were very happy with our stay and would highly recommend anyone who wants to relax and unwind in luxury to stay at the Naka. I think it would be a must for Honeymooners as it is so private and luxurious.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Brendan M
Dear Brendan M,
It is certainly nice to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us at our resort with your family in November.

I would like to thank you for taking the time to write your review and for the many compliments you have mentioned in regard to our resort service and fine resort qualities.
At The Naka Island, A Luxury Collection Resort & Spa, Phuket, our mission is for our guests to relax, be pampered and enjoy the luxury and privacy of our enchanting resort with the option of using a range of facilities and activities at anytime if they so desire.

I look forward to seeing you when you next visit The Naka Island Resort.

Houston, Texas
Reviewed November 23, 2012

My wife and I stayed here one night. We stayed four nights at another resort in Phuket, the Pavilions. The Pavilions was a far better option.

The reviews about the mediocre food, mosquitoes, etc. are accurate. However, it is a quaint, very secluded resort. We liked the peaceful calm of Naka Island. I would recommend this as a good day or two transition into Thailand. Naka is a good place to get over the jet lag of a long trip to Thailand.

Don't go expecting great food, nightlife or anything other than peace and quiet.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Shooperlaw
Dear Shooperlaw,
Thank you for your recent review following your one night stay at The Naka Island, A Luxury Collection Resort& Spa, Phuket, in November.

It is pleasing that you liked our resort for being the secluded, quaint, peaceful, calm place that it has been designed to be away from the noise and nightlife of the many Phuket Island resorts.

Unfortunate we seem to have fallen short of reaching some of your expectations on this occasion but I can assure you that we have taken your comments seriously to make improvements.

I hope to have you stay with us again for a longer period and allow us the opportunity to show you why so many of our guests are so impressed with their unique Naka Island experiences.

Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed November 22, 2012

Like any other Starwood Luxury Collection hotels everything looks impeccable, but at The Naka Island Resort it just did not feel like the overall experience was worth the amount paid. I was there last October for four days on a Sea View Pool Villa.

Pros and Cons:

VILLA
Very comfortable, beautiful, and insect free. Actually insects were not a problem not even outisde. The only downside was the view - it was more of a “mangrove” view than anything. No sunrises nor sunsets from there either.

FOOD
Well presented however lacking 'personality' - very bland. Famous dishes like Pad Thai and Curries were way too sweet which was very disappointing. Besides that food arrived the table at room temperature most times. For as much as I am always encouraging people to try local food at this resort you should go western or keep your expectations very (very) low.

SERVICE
Efficient check in, and attentive Concierge service however when it involved food/drinks there were issues. The restaurants felt under staffed. Servers were visibly struggled and edgy especially during breakfast. Room service took 1 hour to arrive (obviously cold). Besides you may get something different from what you order (like happened to me) if they don’t put people who actually speak english to pick up the phone. Getting a drink or an appetizer by the main pool was a challenge. Usually you have the waiters come to you but here you need to go after them. It really felt like there was no manager overlooking the operation.

Couples keep in mind this is a children friendly hotel, and they were allowing teenagers to play frisbee inside the main pool. That happened when I was there, and obviously I chose to go to my private pool to avoid the risk of being hit.

The reality of it is what you get is a 3-star food/service on a 5-star resort.

Room Tip: Be explicit when making your reservation if you want to have some kind of a sunrise or sunset view f...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear drealityofitis,
Thank you for staying with us recently at The Naka Island, A Luxury Collection resort & Spa, Phuket and for posting your feedback on Trip Advisor.

Your comments are important to us and I will personally review them with our management team to help us with our operational improvement process.

It is pleasing to hear that you enjoyed your villa and our front office department was able to help you with your needs, however, I must apologize for your dining experience not reaching your expectations during your stay. Our Culinary and Food & Beverage department managers are currently acting on the comments that you have posted in your feedback.

I hope that you will stay with us again at the Naka Island Resort.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Ko Nakha Yai
The Surin Phuket
The Surin Phuket
#2 of 34 in Choeng Thale
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,801 reviews

Been to The Naka Island, A Luxury Collection Resort & Spa Phuket? Share your experiences!