“Come with low expectations and they'll do a good job to meet them. Expect Radisson quality and you'll be sorely disappointed.” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Radisson Grenada Beach Resort

Radisson Grenada Beach Resort
Ranked #4 of 11 Hotels in Grand Anse
NY
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2014

I just came back from a guided tour and stayed here. In theory it should work, lovely grounds, central location, beach, etc. The execution of how this property operates is a different story:

The good: 1. If you can score a renovated room (they seem to be in the 300's and 400's) then you'll have a slightly better place to stay. I stayed in 2 different rooms and the beds, while a bit inconsistent, we're good if a bit soft. 2. The tariff largely seems to try hard. 3. The grounds are well kept, and the hotel is in a good location. 4. The beach is nice. 5. If you need transport find Tom - tall guy in the red shirt. Very professional and shows up early to pick you up. Also can connect you to restaurants, etc. He will huddle and everything is negotiable. 6. The gym is modern and even has a spin bike. 8. Check out umbrellas down the beach for lunch.

The bad: 1. The rooms don't have fridges, and even some of the newer ones are looking beat up. Looks like cheap material in some of the renovation. 2. There's nonsense of urgency for anything. I'm used to island time but people seem incapable of multi-tasking. If you want a quicker drink go too the restaurant not the bar. 3. He beach is not private so be prepared for folks to walk up to you selling everything. They generally leave you alone bit it can be annoying. 4. For reasons I don't understand they run out of beach towels every day. I have no idea why grey don't just buy more. 5. At most resorts the workers will lay out chairs on the beach. Not here. Be prepared to pull yours down from a stack and drag it to your destination. 6. There is a tile all around this place that makes it dangerous. Half my group wiped out because the minute it is wet whether you have shoes on or not you can easily go down. I would not recommend flip flops. 7. The wifi goes in and out all day 8. The restaurant has the usually mix of boring food. You will not get traditional Grenadian food here.

This place is not horrible but you can probably get a better bang for your buck elsewhere. I couldn't believe this is part of the Radisson. It looks like it may be in name only because there's a lot to do to bring the quality up.

• Stayed January 2014
1 Thank t1997
Judd L, General Manager at Radisson Grenada Beach Resort, responded to this review, January 4, 2014
Dear T1997
Thank you for your review. Unfortunately we did not meet your expectations as per your review, we however take all review comments on board, and will be proactively looking to address these in order to better meet our guests needs.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (360)
Montreal, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2014

First the POSITIVE (which there is actually very little of at this place): the location on the beach is great, the grounds are extensive and well-cared for (I am referring here to the outdoor spaces, gardens, etc.). SOME employees do try their hardest to improve upon the horrible experience the guests are having. Note: said employees are NOT part of the management team but rather the attendants at the front of the hotel, cleaning ladies, as well as two of the bartenders. Once you actually get a room, they are not so bad. Ours was well cleaned but we still woke up on the last day with a rather huge cocroach crawling up the wall next to the bed. Other guests we exchanged with at the resort also had roaches in their rooms. If dining at the restaurant do have the lobster tail or the lamb they are fantastic. The fresh fried plantain chips are a treat as well. For lunch, the ceasar salad is enjoyable. Stay away from the buffet as well as the a-la-carte breakfast as they are dreadfull. Also positive: as there is NO store opened at the hotel at this time, you can easily walk out the hotel's entrance and across the street to purchase groceries (there is a store called Food Fair). You can also find a pharmacy which will be very usefull should you forget to bring Off or Afterbite (trust me you WILL need both of these). The lobby and main entrance are nice, the gym is now completed with state-of-the-art equipement.

Now for the NEGATIVE:

FOOD: only one restaurant and one bar are opened. The Oasis swim-up bar is closed as is the Tradewinds restaurant. While a select few of the bar and restaurant employees are gracious the majority do not seem to have a grasp on the concept of working in the hotel (hospitality) industry. They will ignore you, talk down to you or even worse treat you like complete idiots. Forget about letting their tips reflect your anger as a 15% service charge is included on every bill. There is also a 10% tax added onto every bill. If you still decide to come here I recommend NOT to take the all inlcusive. I would also recommed NOT eating at the hotel as they grossly overcharge. Do go out and about and enjoy the excellence in food and service you will recieve at other establishments. (Mount Cinnamon and Spice Island).

ROOMS: the resort is under construction and most of the rooms are unfinished. You will be missing items: fridges, door keys, safe, hairdryer, towels, hot water, wifi, etc.. As mentionned before, you will have unwelcomed guests (otherwise known as roaches and/or lizards).

KEYS: during the entire lenght of our stay, Dec 23rd until Dec 30th, the hotel could not get their card key machine to work properly. As a result, some guests did not have card keys and had to ask and wait for security to open their doors whenever they had to go in and out. If you had a card key it could stop working anytime. Guests would leave their doors opened with the security latch to make sure they could get back in and they would pack their belongings in a small suitcase to carry around with them on the site all day. One guest on the second floor even accessed his room through the patio door with a ladder. Yes, I know it sounds ridiculous but it really happened. Reviewer BryanV2011 can attest to it as well.

FRONT DESK: clueless!! No training. Guests wait for hours on end for a room and are given no explanation and management does nothing to make guests more comfortable during the endless wait. We actually complained for waiting 3 hours for a room and later witnessed and met travellers who waited for up to 7 (yes 7) hours for their rooms.) The simple truth of the interminable wait: the rooms were simply not available as they were not complete. The staff actually had to put the rooms together last minute when guests arrived.

SECURITY DEPOSIT: Be warned front desk takes a print of your credit card for SECURITY purposes but I later found out they had secured an amount of 4 000,00$EC dollars on the card without telling me.

HOTEL BUILDINGS: Under renovation, expect workmen all around the grounds, construction materials strewn about, as well as boxes of furniture stockpilled in MANY places.

POOL BAR: do not think you will enjoy a drink there it looks a long way off completion.

OVERALL: Utterly disappointed with the experience. The hotel is misrepresented as it is not nearly finished. The honest thing to have done would have been to close the site during low season in order to complete the work and NOT ruin the Christmas vacations of paying guests as well as the vacation time of many future guests to come in the following months.

One last word, I have read the other guest reviews as well as management responses posted by J. I am surprised he has so much time to address the issues on this site as he was nowhere to be found on hotel grounds when guests were experiencing their problems.

I hope this brutally honest review will be helpfull for tripadvisor travellers and will help them make a wiser choice when travelling to Grenada.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
10 Thank Rainbow000
NY
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2014

I am shocked and saddened to see the negative reviews from Dec 2013 as we were at this resort for a week at the same time and had a wonderful time! The resort is being renovated but the noise and mess were at a minimum. I liked that many rooms were closed - more room at the pool! The grounds were clean and the staff, while adapting to many internal changes were always pleasant. The food was good, we had several good meals on site and left the grounds for others. The bar staff (Shout out to Wayne!) was wonderful if some were still being trained but who could complain sipping a cocktail with that view! To be fair, the resort does have some kinks to work out. Upon arrival, despite reserving an ocean front room literally months in advance, we were shown to a small room in the back of the hotel. One complaint and things were fixed immediately. Same for other issues we encountered: a shortage of towels was fixed; when our tv acted up, it was replaced by a new one with in 15 minutes! Things happen but they were handled well. All in all, it was a fantastic week, on a beautiful beach with friendly staff and we would return to this resort.

One thing: if the resort has any control over this, people selling things on the beach was annoying.

Room Tip: Ocean view is wonderful!
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Judd L, General Manager at Radisson Grenada Beach Resort, responded to this review, January 2, 2014
Dear CathyinNY_8
Thank you for your positive comments. There are indeed a few kinks to sort out, and we have a big training program starting as of January 6 to improve on our service and to live up to our guest expectations. The entire Team appreciates your recognition of there efforts, and Wayne will be nominated for an employee recognition award.
We look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit.
Toronto, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 31, 2013

I have to say the same thing about this resort. I stayed at the resort between Dec 23-Dec 30th The hotel was not advertised correctly. The resort was half closed no pool bar, gym was less than adequate etc. The staff was trying hard but it showed no training of staff. The GM while responding to comments on Trip Advisor has been there 5 days along with two other senior managers. To my amazement,Radisson while lending their name to the resort is owner operated on a franchise basis. Where was the owner when I am talking a significant amount of the guests complaining loudly with unable to get into rooms with their cards, no room services, no clean towels for days. Why the owner was only coming back on Jan 7th leaving new management trying to work in a bad situation? Where was Radisson making sure the handover to their name starting starting on Dec 23rd was smoot?. Nowhere to be found.

I know when you read these reviews you think sometimes the person is just a complainer and it can't be that bad. I think that myself. When you see these comments from multiple people then you have to step back.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
6 Thank BryanV2011
Dear Bryan V2011
Thank you for taking the time to review our property. Yes unfortunately our key coder broke down and could not be repaired. We immediately sourced another which came in from Texas and with the public holidays it took a couple of days to reach us. Our sincere apologies for any inconvenience this may have caused our valued guests.
I will follow up on the room service, as it was definitely in operation, throughout the season and will follow up with our Housekeeping regarding the towels as we have more than sufficient in service. Once again my apologies for a less than satisfactory stay.
Toronto, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 30, 2013

I have been at this resort over Christmas. The hotel is going through massive renovations. Blocks of rooms are closed. The oasis swim up bar and grill at the waterfall pool was closed and I only saw it being worked on once. There is only one restaurant with a buffet. You can order food at the pool bar but be prepared to wait for an hour. It was faster to use the bar in the restaurant to get a drink where the staff were friendly. Some of the staff at the pool var were rude and ignored guests, one of them telling me to go to the buffet when I wanted to order food. Some guests need security to get in their rooms since the key making machine didn't work for days. I was all inclusive and say don't waste your money. Food is good, not great. There are other hotels you can eat at. Executive rooms are worth the money but at the far end of the resort. Native Spirit dive located on the resort were excellent and helped make my stay bearable. If you want daily activities or evening entertainment don't come here. There are no daily activities. The gym got new equipment on Fri but was sub standard til them. The front desk staff are not friendly when checking in. It took me over 2 hours to get my room even though it was empty but not cleaned til after 6pm. As for the Air Canada rep, never saw her. Had to call her for a seating problem on my return flight, and all she was give me a phone number to call. I won't return to this resort.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank amd592013
Judd L, General Manager at Radisson Grenada Beach Resort, responded to this review, December 31, 2013
Dear amd592013
We sincerely apologize for the negatives you may have experienced during your stay. I will pursue this with all management as your feedback is important to us, and helps us to identify areas of concern to our guests. We would really like to see you back again to prove we can do it right.
Once again our apologies.
New York City, New York
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 29, 2013

Sadly I have to echo some of the negative reviews regarding this hotel. First the positive: the location is lovely and many of the staff are most pleasant. Now for the much longer negative list: prior to arriving, we were assured that construction was complete. This was not true then nor on night 4 of our 5 night stay. We were completely lied to but did not want to spend our short vacation on the phone seeking alternative arrangements. Our flight was delayed and we arrived after 9pm, hungry and tired. The woman in the restaurant barked at us for ordering food so soon before the kitchen closed (closer to 10:30pm after check in etc.), and refused to give us menus
(but the man who came after us was given a menu?!). We are two females sharing a double room, yet were only provided with one key which was a big inconvenience, or so we thought--until that key stopped working completely. The hotel was unable to activate the single key and unwilling to provide us with a room that had an operable key (or two). We have to ask for room access, and have to wait quite a while for that to happen. Not ideal on a short vacation where time is precious. This was not an inexpensive hotel, either with overpriced food (avoid breakfast) and drink. Oh, and don't expect the wake up call you request. We missed a 9 a.m. snorkeling trip--could have been so much worse if it had been a flight...don't say you haven't been warned! Too bad because the location is stunning.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
5 Thank Snowfatigued
Judd L, General Manager at Radisson Grenada Beach Resort, responded to this review, December 30, 2013
Dear Snowfatigued

Please accept my apologies for your less than satisfactory experience. I will be sure to address your concerns with the relevant management in F&B and Front Office. I will also do a follow up to ensure that any information regarding the renovations passed on is accurate.
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 29, 2013

This is just being transferred to a Radisson but do not expect international chain level resort just yet, however it's still fine. We were there over Christmas, so food options were limited to big buffets but the manager was lovely and allowed me the vegetarian to pay a steeply discounted buffet costs for not eating most of the offerings.

The grounds are vast and the beach at Grand Answer is lovely. The rooms are great, with wifi, great beds

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank SujTej
Dear SujTej
Thank you for your comments. I and my team are pleased that you have enjoyed your stay and the hospitality at our hotel. We believe that flexibility is key to our success and it is good to see the results through your comments. We hope to be of service again on a future holiday.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Grand Anse
True Blue Bay Boutique Resort
Calabash Luxury Boutique Hotel & Spa
Calabash Luxury Boutique Hotel &...
#1 of 4 in Lance aux Epines
Coyaba Beach Resort
Coyaba Beach Resort
#3 of 11 in Grand Anse
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,021 reviews

Been to Radisson Grenada Beach Resort? Share your experiences!